• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepykyo

Kimosabae said:
I'm starting to think the perceived lower-entry barrier is (largely) a myth instigated by marketing, honestly. I think the games of yesteryear are easier than we remember - they've just been distorted by years of competitive community perspective. These games have always aimed for accessibility - developers are just much more open and conscious about that aim today.

Worked on me in regards to MVC3. Judging from the drop off between SF4 and SSF4, worked on a lot of other people as well.

People also keep overlooking how there are a lot more resources now than back then. The accumulated knowledge of older players being passed on, the techniques that used to be saved for small tournaments now on live streams, etc.

Been wanting to make a Chris team as a secondary behind my Spidey-IM-X23. Chris's mission mode was pretty fun and I know it's not totally indicative of his gameplan, but his combos are crazy fun to land when you get the chance. The constant "suck it"'s are a nice touch too.

Gonna try Chris, Morrigan, Chun (Team Sexy Gun Show) in the lab tomorrow. I think I'll need something better to cover Chris eventually, but I'll see how it goes.

My primary team works pretty well too , but they get rushed back so hard by some characters lol. Spidey and X23 are great characters though, and IM is pretty serviceable. Been able to blow up Sents somewhat consistently with em though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Volcynika said:
You weren't around the last time I was in chat! I haven't truly experienced a fighting game until I get torn apart by you. D:

Pm me your msn aim or skype or what ever you use to talk to people with. I'll hop on when you got time.

_tetsuo_ said:
If she has full health, perhaps.

full health doesn't even matter, she can die and just tap phoenix once that's all that matters :D

DR2K

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
If she has full health, perhaps.

Even half way it's fairly usable. DP dies in one hit really, Hsienko keeps her locked down long enough for you to get that hit in.

alstein

zlatko said:
I know it's like people think Starcraft 2 didn't come out at all, but then again too much of GAF doesn't have a gaming PC. It's true that WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many games come out that cater to casual players being able to have good games online... the thing is though pro players/hard core players will be more consistent across the board and be able to do things casuals can't.

I just feel what's change this generation in this regard is that the barrier to entry for many competitive games has been lowered, but how deep the game is for many popular multiplayer games is still something for the hardcore to get at.

I don't think it's so much the barrier has been lowered (though it has some) as much as explained. It's tough to experiment in arcades when you're poor and the price for failure is 50 cents. Seeing something on youtube and being able to practice it on the console makes it a lot easier to learn.

The internet spoonfeeds folks what they need, making it much easier to learn everything but fundamentals.

Imagine the salt a game like Alpha 2/3 would cause today if people saw Valle CCs or VC infinites on youtube. That said, people would have figured out how to counter Valle CCs in a couple weeks from youtube. Then again, those things would have been patched out these days.

Volcynika

QisTopTier said:
Pm me your msn aim or skype or what ever you use to talk to people with. I'll hop on when you got time.

full health doesn't even matter, she can die and just tap phoenix once that's all that matters :D

Cool, I'll PM you before I get to sleep. Usually able to play most evenings at least, unless something comes up.

Nelo Ice

Banned
just got the brady games guide and u guys werent kidding this guide is extensive

trying to wrap my head around all the terms and techniques i have to learn gah

ReiGun said:
How do you turn on record in training mode? Or does it not exist?

Please somebody tell me. I want to try somethings out in training mode. I lost a tournament because I wasn't exposed to certain things.

ReiGun said:
How do you turn on record in training mode? Or does it not exist?

It's in button config (only during training). Weird, but it works. I'd like it more if I didn't have to search for it the first time :p.

Chauncy Talon said:
Please somebody tell me. I want to try somethings out in training mode. I lost a tournament because I wasn't exposed to certain things.
Go into button config and you can map record to a button. I think.

Edit: beat. To add some real content here:

I kinda suck with Morrigan but she tears Sentinel up. That is a bad reason to keep her on my team. Any suggestions to go with Hulk and Akuma?

Nose Master

Square Triangle said:
Gah I suck =/. Tried arcade on very hard and couldn't get past the second round.

Very hard isn't really indicative of your skill. Just cheese it with Sentinel for the cheevo, and practice against real people.

ReiGun

Killa Sasa said:
It's in button config (only during training). Weird, but it works. I'd like it more if I didn't have to search for it the first time :p.
Thank you so much. Now I can properly practice my setups and what not. :D

Nose Master said:
Very hard isn't really indicative of your skill. Just cheese it with Sentinel for the cheevo, and practice against real people.

Lol tried. I spammed his beam. I need to learn to better block and advance guard. This is my first fighter since Killer Instinct Gold so I'm still learning.

QisTopTier said:
Pick arthur as your third
gold armor pop xfactor
computer always blocks
spam lances
win

Will try thanks. Just need to spend more time on it. Granted my only reason for touching very hard is for the trophy but I need to challenge myself to get better anyways.

zlatko

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Gah I suck =/. Tried arcade on very hard and couldn't get past the second round.

Just put Sentinel on your team like others have stated. Put it to 30 seconds, set the damage to highest, go from there.

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Go into button config and you can map record to a button. I think.

Edit: beat. To add some real content here:

I kinda suck with Morrigan but she tears Sentinel up. That is a bad reason to keep her on my team. Any suggestions to go with Hulk and Akuma?

Any fast character should tear Sentinel. Two regulars I use (Ammy and X-23) usually own him.

zlatko

Banned
Prototype-03 said:
Any fast character should tear Sentinel. Two regulars I use (Ammy and X-23) usually own him.

Ammy can zone him really well, and X-23 has a good set of tools to get in/mix him up to get her combos going. However, if either of them mess up once against Sentinel odds are you can kiss them and their low health goodbye.

jdub03

I've been really digging Felicia's play style. I've been working on getting a combo going with kitty helper. Anybody find any cool setups with it. I've tried canceling the last hit of C into the meter builder just before the helper hits high and repeating that until kitty helper disappears. It looks like it combos. It would be cool if there were other damaging combos that worked.

zlatko said:
Ammy can zone him really well, and X-23 has a good set of tools to get in/mix him up to get her combos going. However, if either of them mess up once against Sentinel odds are you can kiss them and their low health goodbye.
Yeah, with Akuma already on the team I'd like to stay away from another character made out of glass.

zlatko

Banned
Lazy vs Crazy said:
Yeah, with Akuma already on the team I'd like to stay away from another character made out of glass.

That's been one of the reasons teams I've wanted to make happen are discouraged, because too many of the characters I like are low health ones. My few mistakes could cost me a fight so fast, but a well rounded team with bigger health characters can afford to play more risky.

I'd like to do Zero, Akuma, and C.Viper, but I know I'd get blown up way too much. :p

Neki

enzo_gt said:
Been fake for a while son.

Also, I suck incredibly at this game. 9 -23 now. I am haunted by the sound of Doom saying "You have no hope!" :'(

FOOT DIVE FOOT DIVE FOOT DIVE.

Morris

Disco Devil
Bebpo said:
I dunno if this was already discussed, but I just saw on the Japanese news sites there is a leak of DLC#2 with Frank & Strider?

http://doope.jp/2011/0317886.html

285790-strider_namco_large.jpg

Square Triangle said:
I'm 85.88% with the gallery. That's all from doing the arcade mode, please tell me that other 15% isn't from the missions
It is, but you only have to do one mission per character to unlock their artwork.

LordK

Square Triangle said:
I'm 85.88% with the gallery. That's all from doing the arcade mode, please tell me that other 15% isn't from the missions

I'm pretty sure you can unlock everything in the gallery through arcade mode.

EDIT: Beaten and horribly wrong.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
haunts said:
was this discussed at all?

http://shoryuken.com/content/dhc-trick-01-full-damage-hit-stun-scaling-reset-3813/

pretty much changed my team in a heartbeat because of it. lmao.

Yea it's pretty crazy. Especially with Phoenix. Her healing field hyper is something that's already pretty amazing if underutilized at this point, but with this it's even crazier.

This post on SRK sums up why this works pretty well:

electric said:
My guess

Level 3 hypers are cinematics, which are never scaled - what should look like this:

Code:

if( Hyper.levelThree ) scaling.reset()

actually looks like this:

Code:

if( Hyper.cinematic ) scaling.reset()

Niggas be using them wrong flags, son.

Kinda mind-boggling how this made it past Q&A. I wonder if they're gonna end up patching it?

Barrage

I don't this is Game-Breaking, for 2 reasons:

-Using 2 Meters to kill one character is nothing new. In fact, in some situations it isn't even the most economical use of meter.

-Although the majority of the cast can end this trick, only 4 (as of right now) can start it:

Deadpool, Spencer, Storm, X-23.

Will we see a massive increase in use of these 4 because of it? Only time will tell...

El Sloth

Banned
Chauncy Talon said:
I didn't do so well at the tournament yesterday. Drop a couple of combos. :-/. We played on the PS3 and you can feel the difference. I own the game on both system. I didn't notice that much until certain matches. I won matches because people were dropping combos you see them hit on a regular. It's just a sad thing why two system can't have the same exact game.
Are you sure it wasn't the TV's you were playing on, not the systems? I know every time I go from my TV to a CRT I start dropping combos all over the place and need to re-learn the correct timing to do everything. It's pretty annoying, but I don't have the cash to upgrade to a television with minimal input lag.
Lost Fragment said:
Tokido and Mago playing MvC3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZxk2C61PE
edit: Oh, looks like it's Tokido playing against dudes online, not against Mago.
Watching from the part they we're playing MvC3, I imagined Tokido and Mago as the Japanese versions of Mike Ross and Gootecks with Mago yelling the Japanese versions of "You need to get in on that ASS" "Push buttons!" to Tokido during matches.

Made everything more entertaining.

ReiGun

Ironically, this trick gets posted just as I'm thinking about teaming Deadpool and Trish. Guess that's just all the more reason to run them together for a while.

Eventually, I'm gonna have to settle on a team lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Lost Fragment said:
Yea it's pretty crazy. Especially with Phoenix. Her healing field hyper is something that's already pretty amazing if underutilized at this point, but with this it's even crazier.

This post on SRK sums up why this works pretty well:

Kinda mind-boggling how this made it past Q&A. I wonder if they're gonna end up patching it?

i kind of wonder if all this stuff will be allowed at evo. I mean the storm/sent combo with the DHC stuff is just too beastly. was testing it earlier.

Finally starting to get the hang of C.Viper's jump cancels. I want to just lock this shit down so I can replace Wesker with her. Wesker's a good character and probably the safest in the game, but he gets beaten so easily by jumping it's stupid. No comeback potential against any zoner that can attack from the air.

I've been trying to base my teams around characters that have no major weaknesses(ie: huge adaptability) rather than characters with really good strongsuits, which will probably only make a moderate team. These seem to be the most flexible characters:

Trish
Captain America
Magneto
Dante
Storm
C.Viper

Wesker
Akuma

Bolded are the characters I think that can fight effectively without assists.

Trish especially seems to have everything. An instant overhead as effective as Wolverine's, traps, wide hitting projectiles, double jump, 8-way air dash, flight, amazing normals, incredible hyper utility. She can have 3 traps on screen and still move around and fight, making her dangerous in all situations. Furthermore, her assists are pretty good as well.

I think that I need to focus on creating a team with Trish as the center and maybe use the other slots on more defined characters. Cap on point is pretty decent, he builds good meter and can basically defend against any team so I don't have to worry about him. Wesker holding down the basement is a big weakness right now. I need him for OTGs but his comeback potential is pretty bad when the clock is ticking, which happens a lot because my Cap is very defensive. I really think that when Shuma comes out it'll make a good 3rd, since his assist OTGs and covers the screen, so I can use Trish's trap assist. Until then, though, I'm in a weird limbo with a team I'm not really comfortable with, and I'm not confident enough in my execution to swap in C.Viper yet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
Finally starting to get the hang of C.Viper's jump cancels. I want to just lock this shit down so I can replace Wesker with her. Wesker's a good character and probably the safest in the game, but he gets beaten so easily by jumping it's stupid. No comeback potential against any zoner that can attack from the air.

I've been trying to base my teams around characters that have no major weaknesses(ie: huge adaptability) rather than characters with really good strongsuits, which will probably only make a moderate team. These seem to be the most flexible characters:

Trish
Captain America
Magneto
Dante
Storm
C.Viper

Wesker
Akuma

Bolded are the characters I think that can fight effectively without assists.

Trish especially seems to have everything. An instant overhead as effective as Wolverine's, traps, wide hitting projectiles, double jump, 8-way air dash, flight, amazing normals, incredible hyper utility. She can have 3 traps on screen and still move around and fight, making her dangerous in all situations. Furthermore, her assists are pretty good as well.

I think that I need to focus on creating a team with Trish as the center and maybe use the other slots on more defined characters. Cap on point is pretty decent, he builds good meter and can basically defend against any team so I don't have to worry about him. Wesker holding down the basement is a big weakness right now. I need him for OTGs but his comeback potential is pretty bad when the clock is ticking, which happens a lot because my Cap is very defensive. I really think that when Shuma comes out it'll make a good 3rd, since his assist OTGs and covers the screen, so I can use Trish's trap assist. Until then, though, I'm in a weird limbo with a team I'm not really comfortable with, and I'm not confident enough in my execution to swap in C.Viper yet.

Yo you forgot ky kiske on that list, er I mean taskmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom