• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nert said:
People are still salty about Sentinel? Someone won a tournament recently (against a team with Sentinel) with fucking Ryu on their team: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowmdZV9TeU&feature=feedu

So? Ryu's good. Everyone's good. The only character I have yet to see potential for (but no doubt will) is Thor. Valle was rocking Captain America, and everyone said Cap was ass. I think everyone has so much potential to be deconstructed. And it'll happen much faster in this game than in MvC2.

In your video example, Chris G used Ammy, who is very well known as the counterpick to Sentinel in this game (even if he didn't get to use her too much the first rounds). And Evil Rashaan missed several critical, easymode OTGs (almost every single one), and had poorly chosen X-Factors that would have won him each game with Sentinel. It wasn't as though he didn't have the opportunity to win. It was heavily in his favor. He just fucked up. Did you see how many combos he simply dropped for no reason with Sentinel that would have otherwise been game over?

Nert said:
People are still salty about Sentinel? Someone won a tournament recently (against a team with Sentinel) with fucking Ryu on their team: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowmdZV9TeU&feature=feedu

Do new players in SSFIV threads still complain about losing to flowchart Kens, even though he's not top tier?

Even if Sentinel turns out to be not top tier at high level play (which I think is quite possible for him to be high, but not top) he'll still always be a beast for beginners to get around. Every game has one character who is the easiest to get started winning with at beginner levels, and that character will always get lots of complaints.

SSFIV is the first fighting game that I ever really played and Ken ticked me the heck off in the early days. As a new player it's just frustrating to try to continually punish a strong three frame move with lots of invincibility. And it makes it even worse when he can mash out that same move if you leave any gaps in your block strings. But over time you learn to bait it out and punish it heavily and to keep your block strings airtight against anyone with a reversal DP. And by a little while into the game I was actually thrilled every time I ran into a Ken. There were so many of them online that once you learned to beat their junk they usually didn't know what to do and you could wipe the floor with them.

I'm hoping to get to that point soon with Sentinel, but yeah, as of now I can still see folks getting salty.

Degen

i'm gonna be honest

the fact that hulk/sent/_____ is widely considered cheap is really breaking my crayons right now...

...but i have no intention of stopping.

dankir

Degen said:
i'm gonna be honest

the fact that hulk/sent/_____ is widely considered cheap is really breaking my crayons right now...

...but i have no intention of stopping.

Yeah most Sent players I've played online do the following.

1. Jump in with H or S xx in crouching M xx in S( or even into standing S) block all three properly and punish

2. Spam standing H laser (I use Ammy) so block accordingly and get in with a good assist move that puts them in blockstun

3. Jumps back with S and then standing S.

Sentinel is good but is very very very slow and has really bad recovery on his normals. Be patient and when they XFC and are close, they are mashing S to launch.

People need to be more patient in this game.

I also use Hulk and you need to watch out for standing H xx S or air H xx S.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
TheFightingFish said:
Do new players in SSFIV threads still complain about losing to flowchart Kens, even though he's not top tier?

Even if Sentinel turns out to be not top tier at high level play (which I think is quite possible for him to be high, but not top) he'll still always be a beast for beginners to get around. Every game has one character who is the easiest to get started winning with at beginner levels, and that character will always get lots of complaints.

SSFIV is the first fighting game that I ever really played and Ken ticked me the heck off in the early days. As a new player it's just frustrating to try to continually punish a strong three frame move with lots of invincibility. And it makes it even worse when he can mash out that same move if you leave any gaps in your block strings. But over time you learn to bait it out and punish it heavily and to keep your block strings airtight against anyone with a reversal DP. And by a little while into the game I was actually thrilled every time I ran into a Ken. There were so many of them online that once you learned to beat their junk they usually didn't know what to do and you could wipe the floor with them.

I'm hoping to get to that point soon with Sentinel, but yeah, as of now I can still see folks getting salty.

I don't think your analogy completely fits.

How many pro Ken players were there in SFIV when it first came out? How many pro Tager players were there in BlazBlue when it first came out? There are a lot of Sentinels in tournaments. A lot.

I can see a Sagat comparison made.

Threi

notag
like I said if the people using the "cheap" chars are having fun and enjoying the game while the others who are "too good" to use those chars are sitting in a mountain of their own salt...then maybe we need to reconsider who the smarter player really is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Threi said:
like I said if the people using the "cheap" chars are having fun and enjoying the game while the others who are "too good" to use those chars are sitting in a mountain of their own salt...then maybe we need to reconsider who the smarter player really is.

I don't think anyone's doubting that the player who uses the "cheap" characters are the smarter players.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
i think sentinel is pretty cool. trying to learn him now and play him correctly. played some local matches here the other night and this one guy used sentinel really well and it was inspiring. he is pretty hard to use now versus anyone who knows anything about the game. kinda like how sagat was in SF4 really -- really strong but everyone developed good strats vs him early on.

haunts said:
i think sentinel is pretty cool. trying to learn him now and play him correctly. played some local matches here the other night and this one guy used sentinel really well and it was inspiring. he is pretty hard to use now versus anyone who knows anything about the game. kinda like how sagat was in SF4 really -- really strong but everyone developed good strats vs him early on.

And then Sagat LOL'D at ur strats and kept winning

Degen

How is that NeoGeo pad? I keep forgetting it exists, lol

edit: ...I think you've answered this question from me before, double lol

got myself a new team!
Tron (Flame), Spencer (Armor Pierce), and Sentinel (poop flying across the screen)

I tried Doom; but his Hypers don't impress me in terms of screen coverage. So Sentinel it is.

My Spencer training has improved with my understanding at what point of the jump height it is possible to follow up a grapple after an Air S. Accompanied by Sentinels air pollution assist; Spencer can zip behind opponents while the Sent bombs are coming from the opposite side.

Tron Bonne is plain fun and hit confirmation is a no brainer with her and that is what I like for my slow brain. She can use Spencer's Armor Pierce assist to jump Bonne Strike.

Spencer's assist also helps Sentinel do his shenanigans

I am still scrubby, so if anyone wants to go for some learning scrub matches, I will be happy (PSN)

hitsugi

People really have no idea of how much worse sent could be in this game.. Imagine if he had the abilities he had in mvc2 (although they required a higher level of execution).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
hitsugi said:
People really have no idea of how much worse sent could be in this game.. Imagine if he had the abilities he had in mvc2 (although they required a higher level of execution).

Is anyone denying that Sent was broken in MvC2? I was just hoping that since he had a 10 year reign of terror in the Vs. universe, that we could get a reprieve. Frankly, I dislike the character and wanted a crappy Sentinel on release.

GuardianE said:
Is anyone denying that Sent was broken in MvC2? I was just hoping that since he had a 10 year reign of terror in the Vs. universe, that we could get a reprieve. Frankly, I dislike the character and wanted a crappy Sentinel on release.

I wouldn't say broken. He was obviously a very strong character but broken is a bit too far.

hitsugi

GuardianE said:
Is anyone denying that Sent was broken in MvC2?
He could also be taken out with one tap from the other top characters, though... and was often guaranteed dead on arrival if snapped in by mag.

I didn't say anything was broken; I don't like applying that term to mvc2. Did you utilize refly, unblockable beams, fast fly, etc? Or are you one of those people that chose not play sent back then because he was "too good"

Ferrio

Banned
Prototype-03 said:
No worries! I'm still free to those slides and dizzy resets. I'm so good.

Still need to find a 3rd character. Dorm is working great.. but I really really wish I had a beam attack. Also when he's on point he gets torn a new one.

Also stupid question, how the hell do you IAD? I'm hitting two buttons soon as I leave the ground, and an attack comes out instead? Do you have to FF instead?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
FallingEdge said:
I wouldn't say broken. He was obviously a very strong character but broken is a bit too far.

hitsugi said:
He could also be taken out with one tap from the other top characters, though... and was often guaranteed dead on arrival if snapped in by mag.

I didn't say anything was broken; I don't like applying that term to mvc2. Did you utilize refly, unblockable beams, fast fly, etc? Or are you one of those people that chose not play sent back then because he was "too good"

I'm using broken a bit too loosely, but when one character is in the majority of teams for pro players in tournaments... where it is exceptionally rare to NOT see this character in tournament teams. Where this one character has more options than 95% of the rest of the cast combined...

I would hardly call him a "very strong character." He was a fucking monster.

And yeah, I didn't bother with Sent because I loathe the character. So, yeah, I also suck at MvC2 because I never used Sent. (yeah yeah, some people are amazing at MvC2 sans Sent, like Clockwork).

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
hitsugi said:

Fuck unblockable beams, it's all about Doom's godlike unblockable sweep(sometimes).

hitsugi

LeMaximilian said:
Fuck unblockable beams, it's all about Doom's godlike unblockable sweep(sometimes).
ah yes.. so common to see doom players dash into sweep lol.

Also - mags unblockable dash under fierce that resets combos for free. I miss that game.

Ferrio said:
Still need to find a 3rd character. Dorm is working great.. but I really really wish I had a beam attack. Also when he's on point he gets torn a new one.

Also stupid question, how the hell do you IAD? I'm hitting two buttons soon as I leave the ground, and an attack comes out instead? Do you have to FF instead?

What's FF? D:

I usually jump a little bit before dashing... no IAD with dorm, especially because he has a retarded high/low attack from the air dash. Jump, do down/forward dash, do j.L (high), land, do c.l (low), c.M, S into air combo. It's ridiculously easy to do and pretty hard to block. You can even mix it up a little by doing the air dash a little earlier and going straight into c.L.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Prototype-03 said:
What's FF? D:

I usually jump a little bit before dashing... no IAD with dorm, especially because he has a retarded high/low attack from the air dash. Jump, do down/forward dash, do j.L (high), land, do c.l (low), c.M, S into air combo. It's ridiculously easy to do and pretty hard to block. You can even mix it up a little by doing the air dash a little earlier and going straight into c.L.

Forward forward?

I'm not actually sure how IAD works in MvC3, but in BlazBlue, you would buffer one of the forward inputs together with the jump. You would tap Up+forward, then neutral, then forward again.

Ferrio

Banned
GuardianE said:
Forward forward?

I'm not actually sure how IAD works in MvC3, but in BlazBlue, you would buffer one of the forward inputs together with the jump. You would tap Up+forward, then neutral, then forward again.

Ya know how it works there. I'm trying to train myself ot use two buttons instead of double tap. But when I try to do it for an IAD i always get a j.H instead. Reading the wiki it says you can airdash soon as you leave the ground, never happens for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ferrio said:
Ya know how it works there. I'm trying to train myself ot use two buttons instead of double tap. But when I try to do it for an IAD i always get a j.H instead. Reading the wiki it says you can airdash soon as you leave the ground, never happens for me.

Hmm, I don't know if that's accurate for all characters. I could be very wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's a minimum distance above the ground before you can air dash, and it's pretty substantial. I'm never able to do the IAD by pressing two attacks. I always have to tap.

Ferrio said:

Yeah, no FF in the air for me. I actually haven't seen a lot of IAD's in this game.

Why not put a beam assist on your team? There's a nice one coming in a week or so. ;-)

Air dashes have a minimum height requirement before they can be used. This is why people superjump when trijumping - it gets you to the minimum height requirement faster.

Desk breaking the game. This one is pretty bad considering this happens a LOT against Zero, (getting caught with an assist)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK3Ys...&feature=feedu
As I said elsewhere, Capcom should fire their entire quality assurance department and just hire Desk.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Ferrio said:

Ive had more success pressing up-forward, forward + attack.

shaowebb

LeMaximilian said:
Desk breaking the game. This one is pretty bad considering this happens a LOT against Zero, (getting caught with an assist)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK3YseTHEBQ&feature=feedu

Yeah, that really sucks too because using an assist to keep your pressure on while Zero activates shadow is generally a good thing to try. Too bad a glitch throws that tactic away.

Also on a totally different note, in case anyone is left who thinks Ryu is still to be considered weak ( I admit I thought so too early and now he's a main) here is a quote from the battlefield arcadia commentators after Ryu was the main guy used to counteract sentinel in a lot of the 6 matches that made up the final. Most other times if it wasn't Ryu taking out big poppa it was wesker, but wesker had a harder time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowmdZV9TeU&feature=feedu#t=17m03s

It's his stength and beam specials. That mule kick is great if you set it up to achieve some slick wall bounces into assists into combos and likewise but I just feel his main perk is all that strength added to certain moves (especially his bow aimable beams).

He felt off from anything we've ever played with Ryu at first so I thought he was nerfed too. Except when I tried him again after using a lot of Akuma after watching all of the Justin Wong Wolvie/Akuma setups I found that Ryu was actually safer. He hit for more on several things, his basic grabs were great setups for his beam. Airgrab into one aimed down was great and Tatsu usually ends so deep he goes straight into a grab from that too.
This may be basic Ryu stuff, but in this game these moves hit hard and the chip on his beam and the fact that he has 1,000,000 health as opposed to Akuma's 800,000 health made me keep him.

The guy is great.

PSGames

Ok I just got the game the other day and loving it so far. I immediately took a liking to Felicia and Sentinel... who would you guys recommend as a 3rd person to my team?

shaowebb

Nelo Ice said:
capcom better get off their asses and patch this shit
that glitch really is gamebreaking

Definitely. This is one glitch that I can say is just going to occur too often. Zero using snapbacks, and activating shadow during assist coverage is something I could see happening so often during a heated match where someone is really trying to force all they can at their opponent using Zero's offense.

This is a dangerous glitch to leave unpatched.

the_log_ride said:
Capcom, I know you have made statements that this game was intentionally made to be unbalanced, but this is unacceptable.

Desk is doing all this great work. Give him a job or something. Give him his own shawdow mode AI. Jeez.
Desk shadow AI would be hilarious
get hit -> infinite -> time over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom