• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Dante is probably the definitive "best" character in the game, if not then he is at least top 3. I mean let's break it down:

PROs:

*Decent damage output and health for a rushdown character.

*Very high range on normals. Can easily combo two characters at once with his sword.

*One of the best teleports in the game. Tracks opponent's location and appears above/behind them. NO ONE CAN RUN AWAY FROM DANTE. Great for mix ups as well.

*Most options for a character in the game. Dante can do well enough even when not backed up by an assist. Even though he is predominantly a rushdown character, he can keep away and zone as well if needed.

*Best anti-air assist in the game. Cuts the damn screen in half and jams them in place for combos.

*One of the few characters in the game (I know of only 2) who can heal red health while on point with Devil Trigger. The other one is Phoenix.

*Devil Trigger mode gives Dante 15% extra power, possibly resets his bounces on combos (not confirmed I heard it somewhere) and a flight mode with extra moves. Air Raid does very nice chip damage and can be comboed into it 3 times for some really nasty damage. DT stays if Dante tags out and it will power up his assist as well. Dante can also abuse the "DHC hit stun/damage scaling glitch".

*Dante's LVL3 Hyper covers about full screen (not full screen but close to it) and is invulnerable.

*Tracking projectiles (Hysteric missiles and Artemis shots) and he can use them with his teleport to set up conditions that are unfavorable for the opponent, even when they tag in.

*Can play at ANY position. He can play point, back up, meter builder (due to long combos), anti-air assist, anchor or "comeback" character. Dante with X Factor is a beast because he receives substantial boosts in both damage and speed. Coupled with Devil Trigger, LVL3 XFC Dante becomes a nightmare to deal with.

CONs:

*During Devil Trigger, Dante CANNOT build meter. If he could build meter, then he would definitely be broken.

*Dante's throw game isn't all that. It doesn't lead to high damaging/long combos.

*It is generally easy to mess up Dante's combos if you end up pressing a button one too many times due to the way his "crazy combo" system works. To utilize him to his maximum potential, you definitely need to bring your A game.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus fucking Christ, today I FINALLY recieve my order from gamestation.co.uk (the first one wasn't shipped due to some software mistake, and then they took their sweet long-ass time to respond to my e-mails), wich was supposed to be the steelbook-version - and guess what? Regular version it is. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
So, I know the steelbook from gamestation is supposed to come together with the normal version, so do you guys think they'll just send the missing steelbook if I write them, or will I have to return the game too? Damn it, I just want to play it already :|

I just love the "Coming Soon..." bits of Desk's videos. All you get is a glimpse of some crazy stuff without any context whatsoever, and until his next video you're left wondering "How the hell do you make that happen?"

Give him his own shawdow mode AI. Jeez.
I would pay for Shadow Mode AI that does nothing but try to glitch the game to victory.

Dante is probably the definitive "best" character in the game, if not then he is at least top 3. I mean let's break it down:
I'm not going to argue with you, but I could make a huge list of pros for almost any character in the game and make him/her look amazing. I'm not saying your list is ill-informed, just that I think we should let time and tournaments figure these things out, not theoryfighter. I feel as though many of your pros have a downside to them as well, however.

Jesus fucking Christ, today I FINALLY recieve my order from gamestation.co.uk (the first one wasn't shipped due to some software mistake, and then they took their sweet long-ass time to respond to my e-mails), wich was supposed to be the steelbook-version - and guess what? Regular version it is. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
So, I know the steelbook from gamestation is supposed to come together with the normal version, so do you guys think they'll just send the missing steelbook if I write them, or will I have to return the game too? Damn it, I just want to play it already :|
That's brutal. I wish I had advice to give you other than to call customer service and raise hell.

I just love the "Coming Soon..." bits of Desk's videos. All you get is a glimpse of some crazy stuff without any context whatsoever, and until his next video you're left wondering "How the hell do you make that happen?"
Desk's videos get me more hyped than Capcom's trailers.

Dahbomb

I just made the post to spark some discussion. I mean with all the Sentinel/Phoenix talk, we should start talking about other characters as well. I honestly feel that given time, Dante will emerge as a true top tier character in the game. He is just so versatile and he can be played at any position.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I agree. Few pages back I said I think he will be top 3 as the game progresses.

anyone know of any good storm players?

Dartastic

haunts said:
Yeah sucks for zero players cause it seems pretty easy to do and would happen unintentionally at tournaments.
I was thinking about that earlier. If something like this happened in a tournament, what would be the outcome?

...also, if we're talking about tier stuff, Ammy is up there. Like, HIGH up there. The only real problem I've had with her is the fact that she's got low health. But besides that, she's got an answer for everything.
Except when you're playing against someone better than you, ggs Haunts. :/

zlatko

Banned
LeMaximilian said:
Desk breaking the game. This one is pretty bad considering this happens a LOT against Zero, (getting caught with an assist)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK3YseTHEBQ&feature=feedu

I main Zero, and I plan to sneak this in against my friend next time I play if he isn't already aware of it by then. His mind will be blown.

This seems pretty easy to patch though... so hopefully Capcom just waits a little bit longer for a few more desk videos so they can fix everything he shows them...or stop being blind and hire the guy and fire the rest of the bug testers. Save money and make a better product = win win.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dartastic said:
I was thinking about that earlier. If something like this happened in a tournament, what would be the outcome?

...also, if we're talking about tier stuff, Ammy is up there. Like, HIGH up there. The only real problem I've had with her is the fact that she's got low health. But besides that, she's got an answer for everything.
Except when you're playing against someone better than you, ggs Haunts. :/

lmao GGs. sorry i left so early but online play drives me nuts.

I just made the post to spark some discussion. I mean with all the Sentinel/Phoenix talk, we should start talking about other characters as well. I honestly feel that given time, Dante will emerge as a true top tier character in the game. He is just so versatile and he can be played at any position.
If that's the case, then I'll respond to all of your points for the sake of discussion and argument.

*Decent damage output and health for a rushdown character.
Agreed on the damage, but the health is still pretty low, and he is a pretty slow and predictable character for a rushdown. When you compare him to, say, X-23, he's a little slower but has more health.

*Very high range on normals. Can easily combo two characters at once with his sword.
Agreed, absurd range on his normals.

*One of the best teleports in the game. Tracks opponent's location and appears above/behind them. NO ONE CAN RUN AWAY FROM DANTE. Great for mix ups as well.
I would actually say the worst teleport in the game:
1) Always appears in the same spot.
2) Choreographed.
3) Limited follow-up.

Several assists also cover the teleport spot entirely, including the popular Hidden Missiles and Sentinel Force - Dante just teleports right into them.

*Most options for a character in the game. Dante can do well enough even when not backed up by an assist. Even though he is predominantly a rushdown character, he can keep away and zone as well if needed.
Granted, he has the most moves, but the most options? I think a lot of other characters, even with their smaller movesets, have just as many options.

*Best anti-air assist in the game. Cuts the damn screen in half and jams them in place for combos.
Indeed.

*One of the few characters in the game (I know of only 2) who can heal red health while on point with Devil Trigger. The other one is Phoenix.
As you mention though, Devil Trigger also stops meter gain - I wouldn't count this as a bullet point in his favor, as you have to look at the move in its entirety.

*Devil Trigger mode gives Dante 15% extra power, possibly resets his bounces on combos (not confirmed I heard it somewhere) and a flight mode with extra moves. Air Raid does very nice chip damage and can be comboed into it 3 times for some really nasty damage. DT stays if Dante tags out and it will power up his assist as well. Dante can also abuse the "DHC hit stun/damage scaling glitch".
This is the first I've heard of Devil Trigger resetting anything. I'm not saying you're wrong, but a video example would be nice.

*Dante's LVL3 Hyper covers about full screen (not full screen but close to it) and is invulnerable.
Except for Captain America, I believe every level 3 in the game starts with invulnerability frames. Not really a particular bullet point in his favor. If anything, I'd say he is among the more limited members of the cast in terms of hypers, and that's one of his shortcomings.

*Tracking projectiles (Hysteric missiles and Artemis shots) and he can use them with his teleport to set up conditions that are unfavorable for the opponent, even when they tag in.
You need to Devil Trigger cancel the missiles, making it a gamble, and Artemis Shots are pretty hard to get off in a real match outside of a new opponent coming in.

*Can play at ANY position. He can play point, back up, meter builder (due to long combos), anti-air assist, anchor or "comeback" character. Dante with X Factor is a beast because he receives substantial boosts in both damage and speed. Coupled with Devil Trigger, LVL3 XFC Dante becomes a nightmare to deal with.
Agreed, he is a wildly versatile character.

*Dante's throw game isn't all that. It doesn't lead to high damaging/long combos.
Having weak mix-up options is a pretty huge weakness for a rushdown character; Dante pretty much just has generic high-low mix-ups unless you spend meter or use an assist. I think a large part of Dante's game is getting "lucky" hits off of his normals' huge reach, much like Sentinel. I would not be surprised if he started to scale down as people became more used to his range.

those combo video guys aren't doing shit manually right?

Viking controller thing they must have going.
Desk's stuff is all by hand.

ApolloJoh

spindashing said:
Joe is high tier because of triple jump, slow and he is colored red so that's top tier...

;_;
He's high tier on my list of favorite characters.
:D

I'm planning to learn him eventually.

Also, lol @ Zero glitch

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karsticles said:
I agree with pretty much everything, the main problem with Dante is that he may have the biggest move pool in the game, but at the same time he's one of the most straight foward you know everything he's going to do characters in the game LOL so it's kinda moot.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
GuardianE said:
So? Ryu's good. Everyone's good. The only character I have yet to see potential for (but no doubt will) is Thor. Valle was rocking Captain America, and everyone said Cap was ass. I think everyone has so much potential to be deconstructed. And it'll happen much faster in this game than in MvC2.

Yeah but Valle got almost perfected also... mvc3 is not his strong point.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DarkoMaledictus said:

I must've missed that. Well, regardless, I think the playing field is unquestionably far more balanced than MvC2 across the board. Everyone has a fighting chance right now. I really hope no character is completely ass.

Ferrio said:
She certainly has the most potential to gain that title at this point...
Alucrid said:
Ok. What's the combo with Ammy so that you can get the ground bounce and relaunch them?
The thunderedge combo?

I think all you have to do is....

S to knock them to the ground from the air
Diagonal downwards+H
Glaive chop immediately aftewards qcf+S
Standing M
S for the relaunch

If you want to be basic. I'm not sure if you can sneak any other attack into that specific sequence, but there it is.

Alucrid

Banned
SolarPowered said:
She certainly has the most potential to gain that title at this point...

The thunderedge combo?

I think all you have to do is....

S to knock them to the ground from the air
Diagonal downwards+H
Glaive chop immediately aftewards qcf+S
Standing M
S for the relaunch

If you want to be basic. I'm not sure if you can sneak any other attack into that specific sequence, but there it is.

Nah, it's the one used a lot in this video posted earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowmdZV9TeU&feature=feedu

She stays with the solar reflector.

Dartastic

So, I was just thinking about the team I wanted to roll with when the game came out, and I realized it's pretty much unchanged, except I've replaced Thor with Sent. Question though - is anyone actually USING Thor decently? I don't think I've heard or seen a single person using him.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
haunts said:
lmao GGs. sorry i left so early but online play drives me nuts.

Body us, and then leaves cause you drop a combo... For shame! GGs though! I need to decide on a team still, I switch every day. :-/

hitsugi

DarkoMaledictus said:

Valle was actually quite good at MVC2 for the first couple of years it was out.. Then either interest died or things started getting too insane and he quit.

Getting near perfected (or even perfected) happens to even the best of players in these games, and would be a poor indicator of someones skill level.. unless that was happening consistently.

Watching a few minutes of that video has shown me what cold shot and celestial beads can do. Damn, sometimes it feels like you are learning more than one character with Amateratsu haha.
Alucrid said:
Nah, it's the one used a lot in this video posted earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kowmdZV9TeU&feature=feedu

She stays with the solar reflector.
Ouch

I think it requires that you hit your opponent with standing S while they're in the air. It doesn't seem to be repeatable without an OTG assist like Wesker's diagonal shot.

Edit:
Ah shit I just watched a few more minutes. Yeah, she can definitely do it on her own.
QisTopTier said:
No no it's def flecia.... *giggles*
What kind of grown man uses a Cat girl in a fighting game?

wimps

Formless

If they patch this game sometime, I hope they give an option to put the Training mode menu music as the Versus mode menu music. :|

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Formless said:
If they patch this game sometime, I hope they give an option to put the Training mode menu music as the Versus mode menu music. :|

Knowing Capcom they will patch everything... with a Super Marvel vs Capcom 3 disc release :(

Ahh, I see it now.

It's a standard launch into the air followed by...

H attack 3X max in the air
Head charge H (qcf+H) in the air
Standing S

I don't now if you can continue it indefinitely without an OTG assist, but that should definitely be it. It's deceptively simple...
QisTopTier said:
The same one that uses a Squirrel dressed like a hooker?

and I am a wimp :D A 6 year old could prob beat my ass
Makoto is awesome.

They just can't handle so much awesome in such a cute package.

:3

Nakazato

so gaf my gf was playing this afternoon look what we got

PIC_0028.jpg

PIC_0026.jpg

PIC_0027.jpg

PIC_0029.jpg

PIC_0030.jpg

Then we sent him 4 invite since he was still talking shit

now were BL but it was all worth it LOL

zon

I'm still stuck in character limbo, I want dormammu but I'm not really sure which other characters I want in my team. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom