• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
ICallItFutile said:
I've come to realize I'm not good enough to play as Phoenix. I like her move set, but she's too hard to use as a scrub.

Trying to decide my third with Dorm/Dante. Trish is leading and Akuma is coming in a second. I'd like to have a mixed type so I have one of each. I used Storm in MvC2 but her typhoon moves makes you too vulnerable for my taste.

My first teams were Dante/Dorm/Akuma and Dante/Dorm/Morrigan.
They all work pretty well together, espeically the DHC ability of DDA team from full screen. Morrigan is a bit weaker in the DHC synergy because her missiles are the only thing that will reach from full screen and they're not fast enough to be DHC'ed into and connect.

Neki

fubarduck said:
I gotta say when you had me down to Felicia v Sentinel in the match you took, I knew I was in trouble. Solo Sentinel just has a lot of trouble against any decent rushdown character. People don't realize how important assists are to make Sent solid.

Whenever I get down to Sentinel with no assists now, I am scared. When I have Storm or Doom by themselves, I'm not . . .

I still think Sentinel is a top 3 or top 4 character for sure due to his overall value on a team, but individually the only way he can win is if you make a horrible mistake (bad assist call, not blocking, or challenging down+M).

I was thinking about putting Sentinel second in my Zero/Ammy/Sentinel team because I can't use him for crap and he really does suck against anyone with good overhead. Ammy wouldn't have assists, but I use her fine without assists, the drones are just a plus.

Nert

MoxManiac said:
I don't see how any character could be worse than Captain America in this game.

Just anecdotal evidence from stream watching here, but I've seen much more use of Captain America than Thor. Hyper Charging Star seems like a solid way to beat out projectile supers and punish assists as well.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
corrosivefrost said:
My first teams were Dante/Dorm/Akuma and Dante/Dorm/Morrigan.
They all work pretty well together, espeically the DHC ability of DDA team from full screen. Morrigan is a bit weaker in the DHC synergy because her missiles are the only thing that will reach from full screen and they're not fast enough to be DHC'ed into and connect.

Yeah, not being able to DHC is a minus. Also, since I'm incapable for pulling off the z-motion reliably, her move set is too limited for me. What I do like about her is you can do Light -> Medium -> Heavy -> Special Move easily into an air combo. Dante can as well, while Dorm's heavy attack is so slow I have to skip it.

Nert said:
Just anecdotal evidence from stream watching here, but I've seen much more use of Captain America than Thor. Hyper Charing Star seems like a solid way to beat out projectile supers and punish assists as well.

Yeah, Hyper Charging seems to cancel some projectiles like Dorm's Dark Hole. It can also be used for keeping people in the air. I'm actually rather fond of his move set, more than Thor.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Is Ryu as worthless as Keits says he is? :-(

I think I'm going to switch him with Akuma and join the dark side.

burgerdog

I hope Capcom emails those codes out asap. Wonder why 360 version requires you to input the code and then receive an email from Capcom with the real code when ps3 users already have their valid dlc code.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
burgerdog said:
I hope Capcom emails those codes out asap. Wonder why 360 version requires you to input the code and then receive an email from Capcom with the real code when ps3 users already have their valid dlc code.

WTF I wasn't aware of that with the 360 version. That's rather strange.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Cerrius said:
He's threatening with meter and/or complimentary assists. He's useless without them. I also don't think any of his assists are particularly outstanding, but I'll admit that I don't know the finer details of them (outside of the fact that his SRK has no invincibility as an assist).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So....... whos buying the DLC characters?

fubarduck

Ultimoo said:
I was thinking about putting Sentinel second in my Zero/Ammy/Sentinel team because I can't use him for crap and he really does suck against anyone with good overhead. Ammy wouldn't have assists, but I use her fine without assists, the drones are just a plus.

The main problem is I tend to crutch on solo-Sentinel just because of how powerful the comeback potential of Lv3 XF is, but solid players are just gonna turtle you out anyway which is even easier when they still have 3 characters. I think Sentinel second Ammy third is not a bad idea at all. Maybe switch back and forth between Sent and Ammy depending on the situation, as Ammy really does do great with Sent's assist.

Ferrio

Banned
Cerrius said:

Worthless? No... but really you do have to wonder why people would pick him instead of Akuma.

Only reason I can figure is the extra health.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Cerrius said:

Keits is on some sort of mission to prove Ryu is worthless...pretty pathetic if you ask me. Hell the guy had a fucking "meltdown" that got him "banned" on the mic for final round stream due to his ass hat like attack on Ryu when he was talking to some guy who played Ryu.

Ryu with meter is very very viable and he has one of the best beam supers in the game. Is he top tier? No. But if people want to play with Ryu he most certainly has the foundations to fuck people up regardless..far from a worthless character.

I think what Keits was saying (at least when I was watching) is that Akuma makes Ryu pointless, which I agree with.

Ryu may have 200,000 more health but Akuma's options, amazing assist, and damage output make him a far better choice for your team.

Sixfortyfive

Keits is just fixated on how MvC3 Ryu is basically a shitty version of TvC Ryu (where he had a lot more tools) and wants the entire world to know it for some reason.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ryu is fine. Its not great like Sentinel or Spencer but its a viable character.
In fact everyone is a viable character.

Solune

GuardianE said:
I did all of Dante's missions and I already forgot apparently. I didn't realize you could cancel the jump into another special, but it makes perfect sense. How hard is the timing on that? I'll try it out when I get home.
The timing's not really that strict, but you kind of have to do it in quick succession. Other things I've seen cancelled often are Stinger into Volcano(Beowulf move) jump cancel etc etc.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Fersis said:
Ryu is fine. Its not great like Sentinel or Spencer but its a viable character.
In fact everyone is a viable character.

Since all these characters have had their move set and properties designed intentionally around "Mahvel Baby" this time around, everyone is indeed viable in some role. It's the nature of the game that you can find a use for a given character in some sort of team, performing some sort of role.

As for Ryu, I pick Ryu over Akuma for two main reasons: 1. There's enough glass canons in the game as it is, and I'd rather have a shoto style character on my team who can semi-achor it; 2. I'll take Ryu's beam hyper to have that panic button capacity to push people away from my team if I have to. In this game, having a panic button is very valuable.

Akuma seems like a flashy, all or nothing character in direct comparison to Ryu, built for people who are extremely aggressive. Nothing wrong with that, but he is very vulnerable once you are on to his game and learn to watch out for his typical opening attacks.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Captain America's infinite looks fun to land.

I'll probably pick up Shuma. He looks like he could wreck Phoenix' players plans with his laser.

Ugh.

So after an hour or two of playing ranked matches and training in between while waiting for fights, my record is 9-40. I'm starting to think that fighting games just aren't for me. I try to put together good teams that suit my play style but honestly I'm about ready to give up. When I try to block off the opening, they catch me in a throw or an overhead into a combo. When I try to attack off the opening, they block and reversal me into a combo. I'm really trying to learn here, but ugh I keep getting punished.

I'm trying to fit a third person into a Zero/Chun-Li/? combination. I tried Akuma but I get punished for the low overall health of both Zero and Akuma. I tried Sentinel for health reasons but he just doesn't fit my playstyle. I went through Wesker, Hsien-Ko, Morrigan, and even tried Hulk but none of them worked particularly well.

Maybe I should just grind and try to complete all the missions before I go back into fighting real people. I can get through the first 5 missions with almost every character, but again with almost every character I get stuck on either 6, 7, or 8. Once I can start breaking that barrier and being able to link combos in actual matches when my nerves are on the line, maybe I'll go back to ranked, but right now I'm thinking I'm just not trained enough.

Kai Dracon

enzo_gt said:
Can someone remind me what time DLC goes live on XBL?

Often at 5am EST, but I guess we still don't know if it is delayed in America or not.

I'm getting both Shuma and Jill since I got the SE for the delicious steelbook without American fan art on the cover.

Heck, it was worth it for the month of Marvel digital.

Incendiary said:
Ugh.

So after an hour or two of playing ranked matches and training in between while waiting for fights, my record is 9-40. I'm starting to think that fighting games just aren't for me. I try to put together good teams that suit my play style but honestly I'm about ready to give up. When I try to block off the opening, they catch me in a throw or an overhead into a combo. When I try to attack off the opening, they block and reversal me into a combo. I'm really trying to learn here, but ugh I keep getting punished.

I'm trying to fit a third person into a Zero/Chun-Li/? combination. I tried Akuma but I get punished for the low overall health of both Zero and Akuma. I tried Sentinel for health reasons but he just doesn't fit my playstyle. I went through Wesker, Hsien-Ko, Morrigan, and even tried Hulk but none of them worked particularly well.

Maybe I should just grind and try to complete all the missions before I go back into fighting real people. I can get through the first 5 missions with almost every character, but again with almost every character I get stuck on either 6, 7, or 8. Once I can start breaking that barrier and being able to link combos in actual matches when my nerves are on the line, maybe I'll go back to ranked, but right now I'm thinking I'm just not trained enough.

Are you on XBL or PSN? The best bet is to have someone who has some knowledge of the game and critique you.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Incendiary said:
Ugh.

You should try Ammy

Kai Dracon

Incendiary said:
Ugh.

Fighting ranked online is frustrating if you are a noob, because of ranked playing habits and the input latency helps to undermine your hand-eye coordination. A lot more practice against the CPU is probably in order, to get the flow of the game down. Don't forget you can set up training mode as an infinite versus CPU mode.

Also, while lack of spectator mode is a bummer, it can be better to find a room with friendly people and sit there to mash around. A room full of players in my experience tends to have people who aren't just trying to rack up as many wins as possible using one lag-proof strategy that they execute with machine like precision.

It is a very intense and confusing game by fighting game standards; try not to feel bad about getting stonewalled. Also, if you are not already doing this, do try to remember to pushblock/advance guard when you are blocking rushdown, to keep the other guy out and prevent him from just throwing you or doing an overhead. Pushblock awareness is a big part of the game.

Neki

QisTopTier said:
You should try Ammy
Ammy is real low health though. :p But she combos very easily, can get 250k+ by just jamming buttons lol.
Also, while lack of spectator mode is a bummer, it can be better to find a room with friendly people and sit there to mash around. A room full of players in my experience tends to have people who aren't just trying to rack up as many wins as possible using one lag-proof strategy that they execute with machine like precision.
Whoops, don't ever play with me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kaijima said:
Fighting ranked online is frustrating if you are a noob, because of ranked playing habits and the input latency helps to undermine your hand-eye coordination. A lot more practice against the CPU is probably in order, to get the flow of the game down. Don't forget you can set up training mode as an infinite versus CPU mode.

It is a very intense and confusing game by fighting game standards; try not to feel bad about getting stonewalled. Also, if you are not already doing this, do try to remember to pushblock/advance guard when you are blocking rushdown, to keep the other guy out and prevent him from just throwing you or doing an overhead. Pushblock awareness is a big part of the game.

Also dont get in a habit of pushblocking all the time because it adds more frames of recovery :p

Ultimoo said:
Ammy is real low health though. :p But she combos very easily, can get 250k+ by just jamming buttons lol.

Whoops, don't ever play with me.

That's the joke, also "dont play me" You mean you only have one strat, you cant adapt to a fight and once somone gets around it you get your face slammed into the ground and dragged for like 10 miles tied to the back of a pickup? I LOVE PLAYING PEOPLE LIKE THAT ;D

Kai Dracon

QisTopTier said:
Also dont get in a habit of pushblocking all the time because it adds more frames of recovery :p

Of course, but that's part of the mindgame. The first thing you gotta do is remember not to just freeze like a deer and sit there with Wolverape slamming you into the corner.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Kaijima said:
Of course, but that's part of the mindgame. The first thing you gotta do is remember not to just freeze like a deer and sit there with Wolverape slamming you into the corner.
wolvie don't give a fuck about advancing guard to be honest LOL

DRE Fei

How do you guys feel about Iron Man in this game? I've been using him since release day and I'm just about done. The main problem I have with him is his magic series. Why doesn't he have a normal crouching heavy attack like everyone else? Even when I've managed to get past that awkwardness, his damaging combos also have very strict timing. There just doesn't seem to be much consistency there for me. Now I know why nobody uses him.

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:
wolvie don't give a fuck about advancing guard to be honest LOL

Ya by the time you recover after pushing him an inch, he's back in your face.

Also what determines the distance pushblock gives? Strength/Speed of the hit?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
DRE Fei said:
How do you guys feel about Iron Man in this game? I've been using him since release day and I'm just about done. The main problem I have with him is his magic series. Why doesn't he have a normal crouching heavy attack like everyone else? Even when I've managed to get past that awkwardness, his damaging combos also have very strict timing. There just doesn't seem to be much consistency there for me. Now I know why nobody uses him.

Drop 'em like it's hot.

DRE Fei said:

He's good but it'll take time to figure him out. You'll see a lot more Chris/MODOK/Ammy (I know there's a lot already but she'll take off)/Felicia as soon as they're figured out. Remember the game is still new and not a lot of people know the more complicated characters yet.

There's a lot of characters whose cr.HP also don't connect, such as Chris. There's also chars whose cr.HP just won't come out, such as Dormammu. Iron-Man IS a little awkward, but he deals a lot of damage and has an answer to almost anything. I'm sure someone will use him well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
Ya by the time you recover after pushing him an inch, he's back in your face.

Also what determines the distance pushblock gives? Strength/Speed of the hit?

It's always the same, if you got pushed back super far it's cause they pushed blocked 2 attacks back to back really fast

Sixfortyfive

I think the only thing that affects pushblock distance is whether or not one player is already in the corner. Pushblock moves both characters away from each other, so if one is already in the corner you only create half the distance it normally would.

Fersis

I dont know if i would be able to look myself in the mirror if i buy the DLC characters.
Ive been bitching about DLC characters since they announced it.

>8(

Fersis said:
I dont know if i would be able to look myself in the mirror if i buy the DLC characters.
Ive been bitching about DLC characters since they announced it.

>8(

Just get the one you want. AKA, Jill for me.

edit: FIRST POST OF NEW PAGE! SUCK ON THAT.

Prototype-03 said:
Are you on XBL or PSN? The best bet is to have someone who has some knowledge of the game and critique you.

XBL.

QisTopTier said:
You should try Ammy

Ammy is actually point on my other team with Iron Man and Dormaamu. While it was successful against other noobs, now that I'm playing with more experienced players it gets owned pretty quickly so I was trying to switch it up.

Kaijima said:

Yeah, okay, that makes me feel a little better. I'm getting to the point where I can pretty much do a run without any continues on Arcade Mode with all sorts of different teams. I think I have a short attention span though because I just can't stay in training for too long before getting bored. On a slow non-work night I might try and find a friendly GAF room or something and just work on technique.

I do need to work on my advance guard/pushblocking. I block in the corner, but when I do advanced guards sometimes my timing is off and I dash instead which of course opens me up to get murdered. I also have trouble keeping track of overheads when I'm trapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom