• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Nikashi said:
400 points EACH? What the fuck Capcom, I'm totally taking a pass on them for now, I'd buy 2 for 400 but not fucking each, jesus.

See, that is the beauty of DLC. You are free to pass up on it :D

D6AMIA6N

Guys, just a heads up. I have the 360 SE, and had not yet received the code in my email inbox. Instead you can log onto the Capcom Unity site, and it will display the Live code to redeem. GO GET IT!

EDIT: Just received the email code as well!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Nikashi said:
400 points EACH? What the fuck Capcom, I'm totally taking a pass on them for now, I'd buy 2 for 400 but not fucking each, jesus.
Same as the price for the SE, except now I got the characters and a sexy case, oh and I had a free month of comics :p

MoxManiac

Trying to get shuma's titles in very hard arcade mode and the horrible ai is driving me nuts. It's even more badly designed then SF4! I wish I could punch the producer in the face.

Forgot they were dropping so soon, got to DL them later.

No one responded earlier, any suggestions for a third on my Task / Trish team? Been rocking Big Poppa Pump but I want mix things up a little bit. Thinking Dante, Wesker or Akuma.

vg260

Nikashi said:

The complaints about price blow my my mind. An avatar hat, prop, or god forbid a lightsaber will cost you from $1-$5. Seriously 400 points for an avatar lightsaber. A theme is what, $3, gamerpics are what, $1-2? A sackboy skin in PSN is $1.

How the heck is Capcom supposed to justify charging any less then $5 on the same marketplace? They would be stupid to devalue their work like that. This is a fully playable character in a fighting game, playable in any mode. A brand new, playable character, not just a skin swap. That's a HUGE gameplay addition. They gotta playtest and balance this. Are people crazy? When you consider all of the factors involved, $5 is a STEAL.

Blame the marketplace and the people who buy stupid, useless DLC, but not Capcom. They're letting us off easy with a $5 character.

QisTopTier said:
Same as the price for the SE, except now I got the characters and a sexy case, oh and I had a free month of comics :p

Even better, I sold my codes for $20, meaning Capcom paid me $5-$15 to take MvC3 SE off their hands (since I think the total charged to my card for the game by Amazon was <$5). ^_^

And now, if a bundle comes along and I haven't bought a DLC character? I can still buy it. Hooray.

vg260

MoxManiac said:
Trying to get shuma's titles in very hard arcade mode and the horrible ai is driving me nuts. It's even more badly designed then SF4! I wish I could punch the producer in the face.

Go to the dark side and use Sentinel. Cr.M combo spam. Works like a charm in arcade mode, even on very hard. Finish the boss w/ Shuma. Then never touch Sentinel again.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
2&2 said:
The complaints about price blow my my mind. An avatar hat, prop, or god forbid a lightsaber will cost you from $1-$5. Seriously 400 points for an avatar lightsaber. A theme is what, $3, gamerpics are what, $1-2? A sackboy skin in PSN is $1.

How the heck is Capcom supposed to justify charging any less then $5 on the same marketplace? They would be stupid to devalue their work like that. This is a fully playable character in a fighting game, playable in any mode. A brand new, playable character, not just a skin swap. That's a HUGE gameplay addition. They gotta playtest and balance this. Are people crazy? When you consider all of the factors involved, $5 is a STEAL.

Blame the marketplace and the people who buy stupid, useless DLC, but not Capcom. They're letting us off easy with a $5 character.

True if its a 100% new char yeah its a steal, but the way they did it they could as well put 12 of the characters we got as dlc and ship with only 26 chars... that scares me for the future of gaming!

Imagine the next sf shipping with 25 chars and the other 25 "already on the disk" unlocked by dlc... that would suck!

jdub03

MoxManiac said:

Just use sentinel with doom's hidden missiles. Fight the last boss with sentinel until he's low on health then finish him with shuma.

I think I like jill now. When I watched videos of her she seemed pretty lame. Now that I went through all her missions, i think i like her playstyle. Once people figure her out she's gonna be beast. She can jump cancel flip kick and keep comboing. She also has an otg grab that you can use after the S combo ender. My new experimental team is Chris jill wesker. I'm adding shuma to my other team with Ammy and spencer.

My wife and I went out to dinner last night - $28 for an appetizer and two entrees, just water to drink. I'll crap that meal out in a few hours, while $5 for Shuma-Gorath will last me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

My wife redeemed the code and is playing with Shuma and Jill while I'm stuck at work...

Go to the dark side and use Sentinel. Cr.M combo spam. Works like a charm in arcade mode, even on very hard. Finish the boss w/ Shuma. Then never touch Sentinel again.
I did this for all 36 characters on Very Hard. Took about 10-15 minutes per match, fastest kill was 11 seconds for the full team. Get to Galactus, get him to a sliver of health, let him kill your first two characters, X-Factor level 3 with your third one and finish him. So lazy, yet so effective.

dankir

I woke up and downloaded JILL and Shuma right away, just got into work.

Jill seems a bit too execution heavy for me, I can see myself fucking up a lot with her.

Shuma I like though, might add him in to team number 2.

Neki

DarkoMaledictus said:
True if its a 100% new char yeah its a steal, but the way they did it they could as well put 12 of the characters we got as dlc and ship with only 26 chars... that scares me for the future of gaming!

Imagine the next sf shipping with 25 chars and the other 25 "already on the disk" unlocked by dlc... that would suck!
You realize that only some of the assets were "on disc", they still had to tweak and finish the characters. Would it make you feel better if they just finished the characters before the game shipped, and released them completely as paid DLC? No, it wouldn't. Stop getting mad because it's "on disc."

Ultimoo said:
You realize that only some of the assets were "on disc", they still had to tweak and finish the characters. Would it make you feel better if they just finished the characters before the game shipped, and released them completely as paid DLC? No, it wouldn't. Stop getting mad because it's "on disc."

Not that I want to fan a flame about DLC keys to content on disc (I hate people whining about it), but the DLC for the characters is just a key as well. 173KB when I redeemed my 360 DLC code.

Nikashi said:
You don't have to buy it. If you bought the SE, you would effectively paid the same price plus some goodies. Capcom could discount it later on or bundle them together or both if it ever goes on sale.
Are the DLC characters playable in arcade mode?

dankir

Nikashi said:

Yeah 5 bucks a character, really going to break the bank there.

COME ON SON, 5 dollars?!@! AND it's optional stop complaining.

I just watched the second part of that video Haunts put up in the morning.

Holy shit that was amazing. Morrigan is something else and some of those matches were so tense it was not even funny. I've got a lot of work ahead of me...

hitsugi

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Characters are just a 100kb unlock code. Everything was already on the disc. I hate you, Capcom.

i think this is more or less what bothers people the most about them, and a majority of "dlc" in general

Alucrid

Banned
Karsticles said:
My wife and I went out to dinner last night - $28 for an appetizer and two entrees, just water to drink. I'll crap that meal out in a few hours, while $5 for Shuma-Gorath will last me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

My wife redeemed the code and is playing with Shuma and Jill while I'm stuck at work...

I did this for all 36 characters on Very Hard. Took about 10-15 minutes per match, fastest kill was 11 seconds for the full team. Get to Galactus, get him to a sliver of health, let him kill your first two characters, X-Factor level 3 with your third one and finish him. So lazy, yet so effective.

Why not just XF level 1 and raw tag your other character in rather than waiting to die from Galactus.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Any chance of more Shadow Mode profiles? :3

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lazy vs Crazy said:
Characters are just a 100kb unlock code. Everything was already on the disc. I hate you, Capcom.

Um, didn't the patch include a bunch of assets of the characters? You know, so that everyone can see and fight them? BlazBlue did the same thing. The characters weren't on the disc, but had a mandatory patch to include them... then the DLC was an "unlock" code. People seem to be jumping to conclusions.

Do Jill and Shuma come with their own achievements?

EDIT: I just read that they don't. What a fucking waste.

HiResDes

One of the smallest pet peeves that is starting to become a big one is how easy the inputs are in this game...At times when I all I want to do is say is press diagonal short, a quarter circle special move will come out, for example. Things like this really fuck me up online, more so than I ever imagined.

HiResDes

dankir said:
Yeah 5 bucks a character, really going to break the bank there.

COME ON SON, 5 dollars?!@! AND it's optional stop complaining.
5 dollars a character is quite expensive...I don't know what the hell you are on

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
HiResDes said:
5 dollars a character is quite expensive...I don't know what the hell you are on

It's really not. For real casuals who play this game once or twice and stop, maybe. But a character is at least worth as much as a map pack in an FPS. The inclusion of a new character completely changes the game.

Why not just XF level 1 and raw tag your other character in rather than waiting to die from Galactus.
You can do it without X-Factor at all. I was just describing the most lazy and sure-fire way to do it.

Yeah, because they patched the rest of Jill in when they updated on March 1. Future DLC will probably be the same, since everyone needs the data for a character to fight against it.

Do Jill and Shuma come with their own achievements?

EDIT: I just read that they don't. What a fucking waste.
Really, complaining about worthless digital titles? Achievements are the waste. Shuma and Jill come with Arcade endings and a full Mission Mode - that's the complete package to me.

One of the smallest pet peeves that is starting to become a big one is how easy the inputs are in this game...At times when I all I want to do is say is press diagonal short, a quarter circle special move will come out, for example. Things like this really fuck me up online, more so than I ever imagined.
You mean like you are just pressing diagonal down-forward, and you do a special? If you're experiencing that, you might want to just get a new pad/stick. I've never had that happen, nor has anyone else I know had that happen. The closest thing to a funky input this game has is f, QCF+H will be read as a DP input. Everything else is really well done.

A meal typically costs ~$5. Renting a movie costs $5. Going to the movies costs $10. All of those things give you an hour of pleasure and joy. Shuma-Gorath is forever.

HiResDes

Karsticles said:
A meal typically costs ~$5. Renting a movie costs $5. Going to the movies costs $10. All of those things give you an hour of pleasure and joy. Shuma-Gorath is forever.
In comparison, Super Street Fighter IV added ten additional characters, new game modes, new costumes, and complete rebalance for a little over $30. Two characters for ten dollars is steep, especially when they were already on the disc and the game has only been out for about a month.

Neki

hikarutilmitt said:
Not that I want to fan a flame about DLC keys to content on disc (I hate people whining about it), but the DLC for the characters is just a key as well. 173KB when I redeemed my 360 DLC code.
I'm pretty sure we had a couple of patches before hand that might have finished the characters. I thought that when people hacked Jill/Shuma that voices/movesets were still unfinished, but I'm not sure. Regardless, doesn't change the fact that people would still be upset if the content wasn't on the disc, but was available as day 1 DLC.

In comparison, Super Street Fighter IV added ten additional characters, new game modes, new costumes, and complete rebalance for a little over $30. Two characters for ten dollars is steep, especially when they were already on the disc and the game has only been out for about a month.

Except the addition of SSFIV basically rendered Vanilla SF4 useless, meaning that if you wanted to keep reasonably (online or offline competitive) you needed to buy it because there would be no more support for SF4 and balance patches changed how it played. I don't know how strong just the original SF4 community is so that's just what I think. You can't say the same for DLC, you can choose to ignore it, the only problem you might have is you'll be very unpracticed against them, but you'll still be able to play with the online community and stay competitive. Also, it doesn't matter if they were on disc or not. Stop bringing it up. They weren't even completely done on disc, so why does it matter? It just saves you the trouble for downloading everything for the characters.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
Really, complaining about worthless digital titles? Achievements are the waste. Shuma and Jill come with Arcade endings and a full Mission Mode - that's the complete package to me.

I'm not really complaining, man. It's just a missed opportunity. You may not care about achievements or trophies, but it's been proven that they help sales of software and DLC. Wouldn't you want as many people to buy these characters as possible so the game does well? It's something that seems so effortless to include and could increase sales... their omission is mind boggling.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Ultimoo said:

The line between releasing stuff that is already on disc as payed dlc and holding back on content to make an extra buck is extremely thin!

Personally I have the special edition so to me it was already included in my initial price... just scared of the signal this is sending to other companies. Why create new content when you can just hold back on levels, characters, modes and release them as dlc a few months later... very slippery slope!

Neki

DarkoMaledictus said:
The line between releasing stuff that is already on disc as payed dlc and holding back on content to make an extra buck is extremely thin!

Personally I have the special edition so to me it was already included in my initial price... just scared of the signal this is sending to other companies. Why create new content when you can just hold back on levels, characters, modes and release them as dlc a few months later... very slippery slope!
You can easily argue the other way. DLC allows developers to more easily create new content that wouldn't have otherwise been created because of deadlines. It is a very slippery slope, but if you don't like the practice, don't support it, but don't simply get mad because it's "on disc", get mad because you're paying for features that could have potentially been free.

Alucrid

Banned
DarkoMaledictus said:

This slippery slope has been going on a while considering that DLC has existed for years now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DarkoMaledictus said:

Sorry, but this trend started way before MvC3. And MvC3 isn't going to be the one title that spurs all other publishers into action over this.

There's no doubting that the game was rushed to release, probably so that it would garner sales before the end of the fiscal year. But I'm pretty confident that Jill and Shuma were not complete at the time the game went gold. I'm also confident that one of the patches we received post-release completed Jill and Shuma, so you're not paying for an unlock code.

MoxManiac

Guys, you do realize character DLC will always be 100kb unlock keys even if the characters aren't on the disc? When something like new characters are added, they are patched in so everyone has their data (so you can play against them even if you haven't bought them) and when you buy them, you get the key to unlock them.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Ultimoo said:
You can easily argue the other way. DLC allows developers to more easily create new content that wouldn't have otherwise been created because of deadlines. It is a very slippery slope, but if you don't like the practice, don't support it, but don't simply get mad because it's "on disc", get mad because you're paying for features that could have potentially been free.

Its not a question of getting mad, its a question of acknowledging the repercussions this might have for the future of DLC. I can very well see a bunch of companies like activision and EA starting to hold back on assets so they can just release the game in dlc chunks.

Making the game 90+$ when it originally would of been 60. As an economist, I can bet you a bunch CEO's are thinking about the idea...

V_Arnold

Regardless of whether you are paying for an unlock code or not, the truth is this:
A game as a product is exactly as much as you get when you buy it. If you REALLY, REALLY think that the whole package with 36/38 (what is the number now, lol) characters is not enough, well: your problem.

You are not paying for unlock codes. You are paying for the ability to PLAY with those extra characters, regardless if they are on the disc or not. Being on the disc does not mean you are entitled to get it for "free" as a bonus to the game. One can question the "moral" here, but really, with the increasing development cossts, publishers has all chosen to try their luck with DLC, and people pay for it.

Would someone who oppose the "paying for unlock code" method sleep better at night if Capcom purposefully removed the models and date from the disc so they can distribute it again online? Why? It does not matter what is in the disc. You get what you are paying for: Jill and Shuma Gorath is not in that. That is the end of the story here, imho.

Ultimoo said:
I'm pretty sure we had a couple of patches before hand that might have finished the characters. I thought that when people hacked Jill/Shuma that voices/movesets were still unfinished, but I'm not sure. Regardless, doesn't change the fact that people would still be upset if the content wasn't on the disc, but was available as day 1 DLC.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree. I honestly don't care about on-disc DLC for fighting games just because:

1) they need a transport method that's not a ton of patches that the online services make them pay for
2) they need the content to be there for it to be seen/work with people who didn't buy it.

At least with Super on 360 I can still see the other outfits I didn't buy since they released compatibility patches, PS3 I have to not see them unless I bought them.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Problem with the DLC argument is that it's two arguments mashed into one: whether $5 characters are a "rip off" and whether it's a slippery slope that will lead to XXXX atrocities in the future.

Everything is a slippery slope potentially, anything can be abused, and it's been going on for a while now as already noted.

What's relevant to the present is whether a character is worth five bucks. I believe the only honest answer is "Yes, if you're a regular player, no, if you're not". That's it. You cannot argue that a character is not a good value at a few bucks for a regular player, as they'll get hundreds of hours of use out of that five buck item.

Therefore, the price is a gate. It's not being handed out for practically free to anyone, including the barely interested who may fiddle with a character once then forget it. But it's not holding serious players "hostage" to genuine price gouging, either.

Comparisons to disc based retail projects like Super SFIV don't prove that a character isn't worth five bucks - they just demonstrate the economy of scale in game production. Half the reason people are nonplussed anyway, is because these two MvC3 characters are perceived as being more o' that "locked disc content". But, $5 is the set price for DLC characters period for the game. Further characters requiring new work to be done by the staff will also be $5.

Since these two characters were not even finished and tested when the game went gold, if we can set conspiracy theories about evil game companies aside for a moment, I honestly think the real reason so much of their data is on the disc is to save bandwidth and download for a character catalog so all players can see and fight against the DLC characters online. As with the second set of add-on costumes in Super SFIV, the next characters for MvC3 will require a download package in order for all users to see the content online (PSN has the bonus of allowing large inline patches, so the updates will probably be automatic.) Not putting the base model, animation, and some sound files on the disc for Jill and Shuma may have somehow made it seem "fair" to people who see DLC that way, but would have just wasted time in creating a character catalog DLC for the 360 marketplace. Seems like a basic decision of efficiency.

dankir

HiResDes said:

I'm about a game I enjoy like a lot of people posting here. I bought the Special Edition so I was getting them anyways.

5 bucks gets you the character, training missions and something brand new to learn, explore and play with. I'm going to be playing MvC3 for years buddy, 5 dollars ain't nothing to me.

The best thing is that you can buy each one individually, so whenever the next set comes out you have the choice again. And you'll probably complain about the price then too :)

I'm 100% they'll be discounted character packs in the future, so just be patient.

ANYWAYS enough about that, can't wait to get back into the lab with Shuma tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom