• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cant find Shuma (US PSN Store)
Not that i was going to buy it.

Man, this stupid "development costs" talk better die down when the next generation hits. Stupid developers and publishers chasing high fidelity graphics has pushed the envelope way too far.

They could learn a thing or two from the PC market and the handheld market. I don't need another amazing jump in graphics at this point. They should just aim for a machine with a 720P minimum across the board. Anyone who wants to go higher can shit out all the DLC they want.

In comparison, Super Street Fighter IV added ten additional characters, new game modes, new costumes, and complete rebalance for a little over $30. Two characters for ten dollars is steep, especially when they were already on the disc and the game has only been out for about a month.
Only parts of Jill were on disk, and this is well-known. The fact is, Marvel apparently would not let Shuma-Gorath be on the initial roster, and he would need a partner anyway. Some models and moves are not all that go into a character.

Yes, Super Street Fighter IV is undoubtedly the better deal, but if I had to choose between getting Shuma-Gorath now, and waiting a full year for Super Marvel vs. Capcom 3 to play him, I would must rather pay the extra two dollars now and enjoy him for a full year.

Time is much more valuable to me than money.

I'm pretty sure we had a couple of patches before hand that might have finished the characters. I thought that when people hacked Jill/Shuma that voices/movesets were still unfinished, but I'm not sure. Regardless, doesn't change the fact that people would still be upset if the content wasn't on the disc, but was available as day 1 DLC.
The March 1 patch added the rest of Jill.

Except the addition of SSFIV basically rendered Vanilla SF4 useless, meaning that if you wanted to keep reasonably (online or offline competitive) you needed to buy it because there would be no more support for SF4 and balance patches changed how it played. I don't know how strong just the original SF4 community is so that's just what I think. You can't say the same for DLC, you can choose to ignore it, the only problem you might have is you'll be very unpracticed against them, but you'll still be able to play with the online community and stay competitive. Also, it doesn't matter if they were on disc or not. Stop bringing it up. They weren't even completely done on disc, so why does it matter? It just saves you the trouble for downloading everything for the characters.
This is a good point. A new iteration of a game fractures the community. DLC does not.

I'm not really complaining, man. It's just a missed opportunity. You may not care about achievements or trophies, but it's been proven that they help sales of software and DLC. Wouldn't you want as many people to buy these characters as possible so the game does well? It's something that seems so effortless to include and could increase sales... their omission is mind boggling.
Was that your only complaint then, that Capcom would not get as much money as it could?

Its not a question of getting mad, its a question of acknowledging the repercussions this might have for the future of DLC. I can very well see a bunch of companies like activision and EA starting to hold back on assets so they can just release the game in dlc chunks.

Making the game 90+$ when it originally would of been 60. As an economist, I can bet you a bunch CEO's are thinking about the idea...
I say marvelous! I avoid the purchase of many games, and even anything by entire companies, just because of their business practices. Capcom is not one of them.

Would someone who oppose the "paying for unlock code" method sleep better at night if Capcom purposefully removed the models and date from the disc so they can distribute it again online?
Excellent words.

Man, this stupid "development costs" talk better die down when the next generation hits. Stupid developers and publishers chasing high fidelity graphics has pushed the envelope way too far.

They could learn a thing or two from the PC market and the handheld market. I don't need another amazing jump in graphics at this point. They should just aim for a machine with a 720P minimum across the board. Anyone who wants to go higher can shit out all the DLC they want.
I actually prefer 2D graphics to 3D, but the average consumer does not agree with me.

typed in the code on the back of the art book on mvc3 redeem site. i get the code and when i type it into my 360, it says the code isnt valid. i then try redeeming it on xbox.com, and it says "the code has already been used". how the hell can it be used already?

so pissed off. i already shot an email to capcom support, but they wont get back to me for another 24-48 hours.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
secretanchitman said:
typed in the code on the back of the art book on mvc3 redeem site. i get the code and when i type it into my 360, it says the code isnt valid. i then try redeeming it on xbox.com, and it says "the code has already been used". how the hell can it be used already?

so pissed off. i already shot an email to capcom support, but they wont get back to me for another 24-48 hours.

You could try going to the download page for the characters and download them again, if the option is there.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
While I agree companies need to look at the TOTAL cost of stuff when making DLC (Namco and Konami spring to mind...) I really don't mind worthwhile fighter DLC.

I still pay much, MUCH less to play a fighter with DLC than I did to play the game endlessly at the arcade, and then later get the inferior console editions...

------

At any rate, Jill and Shuma... I really wanna see a quality Jill player. I love having an OTG "throw" option, and it even seems to be able to combo at the right times with certain things. Her arrow kick assist is also a fantastic combo extender / pushback, and the Tigerkness knee dives / cancelable overhead are all pretty nice. Her Machine Gun Hyper might be weak, but I can see it stopping some spam pretty well, though I haven't experimented with it too much yet. I like her normals, they seem to have very solid range, though I kinda wish she had a jumping H or S that had more of a crossup hitbox.

I wonder if her quick movement will br a problem for Sent or Phoenix? LvL 3 should eat super armor dependent players for breakfast. Feral Stance Flip "Infinite" from the guide is pretty nice though. Seems to be easy to combo into, and reliable if you've got the execution to do it consistently. Mastered, even seems able to leave them open after the feral stance is over...

Oh, and looks like her Multi-kick Hyper probably leads to the DHC glitch...

Shuma now... woah.. Assist Mystic Ray is great. Covers a lot of spot for certain character I enjoy, that barely anything else ever did. Like Doom's Plasma Beam assist in many ways, except screen-filling. His Hypers are a bit more situational then I'd like them to be, but that's ok.

He can link Standing H into itself, or into couching M, to pull them right back in. Similiar to Morrigan's st. H in that reguard, which fits me just fine. Cr. H being jump cancelable is also fantastic. Leads to multiple loop varieties. I'm suprised his air S causes instant recovery roll, though.

Overall, rather happy with the 2 characters. But I like playing just about everyone in the game during random battles VS friends, so I welcome these 2, already liking the variety they bring.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
Was that your only complaint then, that Capcom would not get as much money as it could?

It's definitely part of it. I said it's a "fucking waste". It's more accurately a "wasted opportunity" for Capcom. It would've taken two seconds to add into the DLC.

Anyway, for games I love, I really like having achievements to earn. I love MvC3, and I would like more achievements to earn in it since I have 1000/1000. I don't really see anything wrong with that.

jdub03

SAB CA said:
At any rate, Jill and Shuma... I really wanna see a quality Jill player. I love having an OTG "throw" option, and it even seems to be able to combo at the right times with certain things. Her arrow kick assist is also a fantastic combo extender / pushback, and the Tigerkness knee dives / cancelable overhead are all pretty nice. Her Machine Gun Hyper might be weak, but I can see it stopping some spam pretty well, though I haven't experimented with it too much yet. I like her normals, they seem to have very solid range, though I kinda wish she had a jumping H or S that had more of a crossup hitbox.

I wonder if her quick movement will br a problem for Sent or Phoenix? LvL 3 should eat super armor dependent players for breakfast. Feral Stance Flip "Infinite" from the guide is pretty nice though. Seems to be easy to combo into, and reliable if you've got the execution to do it consistently. Mastered, even seems able to leave them open after the feral stance is over...

Oh, and looks like her Multi-kick Hyper probably leads to the DHC glitch...

I'd like to add that Jill is another character with an instant overhead against not only sentinel but dorm too. It probably works on all the large characters. On dorm I got the full air [A, B, C, S] to loop twice before it dropped. Since she's crazy fast with a lot of mix up capabilities, I predict she will become the new sentinel killer.

ICallItFutile said:
You could try going to the download page for the characters and download them again, if the option is there.

didnt work - i just have to wait at this point. i hope i get another download code or else ill be pissed.

hitsugi said:
i think this is more or less what bothers people the most about them, and a majority of "dlc" in general

Partially true. I think this goes back to the negative taste that has been in people's mouths concerning DLC from day one back when the 360 was announced. I was not a member of GAF back then, but I was posting on other boards and people were back then bitching about how this was going to "rape the consumer." People were confused, worried and didn't know what to do. At this point it is up to the first company out the gate with DLC to show the world that there was legit content, that they were not going to gouge the consumer, and that it was okay to sell Add-On Content for games. Who was 1st out the gate....

Bethesda. Horse Armor.

Ever since then, people have had a bad impression of DLC. What if Borderlands was first with Zombie Island, or Burnout Paradise had come out with Big Surf Island? Lots of companies have put out good content for DLC but whenever a company announces that they are making DLC for their game, here comes the complaints about how they are ripping off the customer. I think we need to calm the hell down and evaluate whatever comes out on it's own merits as opposed to the current trend of the content is not worth it just because it is DLC.

Now I actually need to play some marvel and see how good these characters are

Arozay

I guess I'm gonna pass on the character DLC for now. Do they ever have price cuts? (not that familiar with console dlc, also PSN)

BiggNife

Maybe I'm screwing this up, but I don't think you can combo into Shuma's supers after ending an air combo with S. His air S attack takes too long to recover. Kind of a shame he has two OTG supers that you can't use to end air combos. Guess I'll have to use those for DHCs.

If you can, then what am I doing wrong?

Zaro said:
I guess I'm gonna pass on the character DLC for now. Do they ever have price cuts? (not that familiar with console dlc, also PSN)
BBCS had sales on character DLC, and Capcom has sold the complete costume packs at temporary discounted prices so it's not unheard of.

Vercimber said:
Are the DLC characters available on US PSN for owners of the SE? I can't seem to find them, even through search.
You have to select "Redeem Code" on the PSN store and enter the 12 digit code on the back of the manual.

BiggNife said:
Maybe I'm screwing this up, but I don't think you can combo into Shuma's supers after ending an air combo with S. His air S attack takes too long to recover. Kind of a shame he has two OTG supers that you can't use to end air combos. Guess I'll have to use those for DHCs.

If you can, then what am I doing wrong?

The eye super (I don't know the names) OTG's after air S. It is one of his missions.

JudgeN

dankir said:
Yeah 5 bucks a character, really going to break the bank there.

COME ON SON, 5 dollars?!@! AND it's optional stop complaining.

MvC2 had 56 character, MvC3 has 38 so if Capcom adds as many character as they did in MvC2. That will cost us an extra $90, yea fuck $5 a character.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
JudgeN said:
MvC2 had 56 character, MvC3 has 38 so if Capcom adds as many character as they did in MvC2. That will cost us an extra $90, yea fuck $5 a character.
I must inform you that you can do math, but you can't apply it very well. The 38 characters from MvC3 are way more fleshed out and focused than the 56 in MvC2, the roster in MvC3 shits on that in 2 outright, even if your favourite character didn't make it in. You don't have to pay 90$ to get the full package, since you have it already. If your willing to commit to being competitive, and find value in 5$ that will bring your hours upon hours of gameplay like a map pack, then you have nothing to complain about.

V_Arnold

JudgeN said:

Capcom should add 1999-quality sprite-like 3d models with no textures and effects for free. Would be hilarious, and it would match the MVC2's "roster size", hell yeah.

I'm kinda pissed right now. I have to come to terms with the fact that my team doesn't work like I'd planned.

C.Viper(Seismo/Burn Kick)/Trish(Peekaboo)/Shuma(Mystic Ray)

As a rough idea, this is a really good team.
  • C.Viper and Trish need a good anti-air/keepaway assist that Shuma provides
  • Shuma gets free Chaos Dimensions from Round Harvest on block
  • C.Viper gets focus traps from Peekaboo
  • Trish gets an OTG
  • Surprisingly solid DHC harmony
  • All 3 characters can instant overhead into full combos

But it just doesn't work like that in real life.
  • C.Viper and Shuma eat too much meter, more than can be built
  • Putting Trish on point as a battery destroys the fragile DHC harmony
  • Trish is the only character that gets instant overhead on the full cast, but needs an at least partial lockdown assist to perform it
  • Seismo and Mystic Ray are the worst OTG assists in the game
  • Shuma doesn't have a good way in on point

So now I basically have to break up my characters into two teams, one built around Trish, and the other C.Viper. The fact that it's extremely impractical to use Mystic Ray as an OTG assist is the main thing that's breaking up my teams and making it very hard for me right now. It took care of two jobs so that I could free up an assist for lockdown. Now I have to find an assist that locks down and OTGs for Trish/Shuma, and a good battery/lockdown for C.Viper/Shuma. I'm also considering characters with good harmony.

Potential team members:
Trish/Shuma

Dormammu - Purification is ok, dhc harmony is perfect
Wesker - low shot perfect, low meter character
Storm - DHC monster, overall great character
Hulk - gamma wave assist is good, raises team average health

C.Viper/Shuma

Felicia - builds meter and rolling buckler is good, DHC is ???
Hulk - gamma wave assist is good, raises team average health, DHC is ???, Meter build is ???
Morrigan, great meter but leaves Shuma to die

Anyone with good ideas let me know. This is really disheartening, knowing that this team I was planning around doesn't work as well as I thought.

Out of the above, only Trish/Dormammu/Shuma, Trish/Shuma/Storm and Trish/Shuma/Hulk seem good.

dankir

JudgeN said:

This is true, a good portion of those were color swaps with very a slight change in movesets like two wolverines for example, ken, ryu, akuma.

Here you're getting pretty good variation in characters , so yeah bring on fucking 5$ dollars per character, fine with me. If you don't like then don't buy it. How about that?

:)

BiggNife

ThatCrazyGuy said:
The eye super (I don't know the names) OTG's after air S. It is one of his missions.

Huh. I guess I'll have to go into practice some more then. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with it, considering I end my combos with OTG supers all the time (Hulk and Hsien-Ko are on my main team). Maybe I'm messing up the timing of the air S or something.

JudgeN said:

Except you're missing the fact that no one ever used about half of the cast because they were terrible and/or clones.

BiggNife said:
Huh. I guess I'll have to go into practice some more then. I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with it, considering I end my combos with OTG supers all the time (Hulk and Hsien-Ko are on my main team). Maybe I'm messing up the timing of the air S or something.

You have to wait a while before you do it, because the Air S takes so long for it's animation to end. When I did it, I thought it wouldn't work, because you have to wait so long.

I can't do the mission right now where you do the front throw into the eye move. I can't get it to OTG, hehe. I suck.

JudgeN

dankir said:
This is true, a good portion of those were color swaps with very a slight change in movesets like two wolverines for example, ken, ryu, akuma.

Here you're getting pretty good variation in characters , so yeah bring on fucking 5$ dollars per character, fine with me. If you don't like then don't buy it. How about that?

Come on man, you must be trolling. I will give you the color swap wolverine, Roll, Dan, servebot as character that really didn't count.

BiggNife said:
Except you're missing the fact that no one ever used about half of the cast because they were terrible and/or clones.

Just because you didn't use them in a tournament doesn't mean they were bad terrible characters. Playing MvC2 I played all kinds of team and I'm sure other people did too.

I agree that this game is more balanced in terms of tiers (or that the tiers haven't been discovered yet) but that was a huge drop in characters and with the online mode not working/missing features I just feel like paying for character is a huge slap in the face just like those $15 COD map packs.

Lothars

JudgeN said:
Come on man, you must be trolling. I will give you the color swap wolverine, Roll,and Dan as character that really didn't count.

Just because you didn't use them in a tournament doesn't mean they where bad terrible characters. Playing MvC2 I played all kinds of team and I'm sure other people did too.

But it doesn't mean your correct in saying that they are short changing everyone when they are releasing characters as DLC, the difference is in MVC3 all the characters are viable and the DLC characters just add on to that, but there's tons of characters from MVC2 that are not viable or not even very good characters.

Edit: But the drop in characters are not a big deal when each character has things going for it over the characters in MVC2, and I love MVC2 but there's alot of characters that are not fun to use, It's not a ripoff by any means because you don't have to buy the characters but they are there if you want to.

dankir

Lothars said:
But it doesn't mean your correct in saying that they are short changing everyone when they are releasing characters as DLC, the difference is in MVC3 all the characters are viable and the DLC characters just add on to that, but there's tons of characters from MVC2 that are not viable or not even very good characters.

Edit: But the drop in characters are not a big deal when each character has things going for it over the characters in MVC2, and I love MVC2 but there's alot of characters that are not fun to use, It's not a ripoff by any means because you don't have to buy the characters but they are there if you want to.

Thank you!!!

dralla

iron man is like a crappy version of magneto and you can put him on your team for free!

as far as shuma goes, the recovery on his moves is ass. i think that and his low damage output make him relatively weak compared to the rest of the cast. i hope someone finds some crazy shit with him

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
HiResDes said:
In comparison, Super Street Fighter IV added ten additional characters, new game modes, new costumes, and complete rebalance for a little over $30. Two characters for ten dollars is steep, especially when they were already on the disc and the game has only been out for about a month.

I like to point out how much BULLSHIT this post is. Just on the costume part alone.

Ferrio

Banned
Think my dorm got a little better. Trying to get used to the SJ->Triangle Jump->j.H timing. Didn't work so good on Q since he's always moving.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd rather much have 36 (38!) characters that are well thoughtout for 70 dollars, than the 56 thrown-into-an-engine-with-minimal care frankengame that became MvC2 for 40/50 dollars. The per-character TL&C in this game is so much higher than MvC2, it's like comparing a well done MUGEN game to Virtua Fighter...

And if they released 18 more character for this game, over the next year or 2, I wouldn't even feel burned by the DLC, if they're all actual quality characters.

I'd hope they'd do like the SFIV stuff though, and release their plans to release characters + a discounted collection, however. Or make the content cheaper as time went on, as a "thanks for sticking with this game so long!" situation.

Would be even cooler if they did things like offer characters with games to help promote them (like the main guy of Asura's Wrath being added with purchase of that game, for example), as an option alongside pure DLC. Or Marvel Character DLC offered with a movie / graphic novel / DVD release.

It's really nice Jill and Shuma have their own themes, arcade endings, mission mode trials, art, unlockable bios, and appear in the arcade rotation after purchased, though. As long as they maintain such attention to detail with each character they make (and maybe even more, as the characters demand, such as a wide variety of VS character spoken intros), then $5 really feels agreeable.

If they start getting cheap with them, however, cutting features, or making them sloppy / weak / clones of existing characters, then no thanks!

DR2K

Banned
dankir said:

2 wolverines out of 56 is a good portion? The shoto characters are also just as similar to each other as they are in MVC3. Eh, the variation is more in franchise than gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom