• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankir

vixlar said:
Maybe Sent needed a nerf, but it seems a little weird that the biggest character in the game has less health than half the roster.

I'm busting out the nerd logic here, but he's just a robot, Wolverine tears through Sentinels like 8 times his size :)

Anyways there's going to be an official list right? I want to see what other good wholesome changes that were made.

dankir

El Sloth said:
Whoa, what's this I'm hearing about a balance patch? Sent took a hit on his health? I don't know how I feel about that.

wIqcT.gif

Pretty much.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Kind of weird to be arguing that Sentinel should have low health because it makes sense canonically, while Phoenix can be killed by an 8 year old riding a robot and a dude with a flamethrower in his pocket.

El Sloth

Banned
dankir said:
http://i.imgur.com/wIqcT.gif[/IMG

Pretty much.[/QUOTE]
I guess I will, no choice, but I definitely just want to say this: I feel that is way too early in this game life to make such a major change. Sent is good, but not the boogeyman that some people made him out to be. There's still so much we have yet to find out about this game.

Basically this:
[QUOTE=God's Beard]Nerfing Marvel? Are you serious?[/QUOTE]

hitsugi

Lost Fragment said:
They're already making balance changes a month in? Are you serious?

What the fuck is Capcom smoking.
They're smoking whatever it takes to distract the masses from the lack of what we actually want put in the game.

Ferrio

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
Never really had a problem with sent but this makes it easier to kill him if he fucks up.
I wonder what else this patch did to the chars.

Ya... hate stealth changes... Wish there were proper patch notes.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
gundamkyoukai said:
Never really had a problem with sent but this makes it easier to kill him if he fucks up.

I read that Dorm's lvl 3 does like 60k more damage.

shaowebb

gundamkyoukai said:

Good question. I'm worried Akuma may have been messed with for some unknown reason. I use Ryu, but I just have this nagging suspicion that I should go check his tatsu or something.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Two things brought up elsewhere that people really should stop and consider right now before running off half-cocked:

1. PSN/XBL patches do not get approved overnight. They typically have 3 - 6 week lead times at best, unless you are a first-party development team and get fast tracked. That means that this adjustment to Sent's health was almost certainly not reactionary. It wasn't because of whining of online players. If anything, it seems more possible in this context that the adjustment was something the team decided on when finalizing balance, but could not adjust files on the gold disc.

People have been demanding X features since day one, but even if the team completed those features within a week of request, it would still take weeks for the patch to be deployed.

2. Adjusting health is probably the simplest, and safest thing, that can be adjusted in the game. It is much more drastic and unwise to casually adjust hit boxes, frame properties, invisible switches like gravity and fall characteristics, and even damage; all these can totally screw up and later a character's style. But health is merely how much you get punished for screwing up and taking a hit - plus how many other characters have a 100% damage combo that is applicable to the affected character.

It has already been pointed out that even with many characters now able to easily get in on Sent, Sent's high health can still be a real drag in the match; because Sent can survive a few stupid screw ups, and many characters have to get in multiple times to kill him off, even if it's not that hard to do.

Of all the changes they could make to the game this early, tweaking Sentinel's health is honesty the most basic and even most obvious; and like stated above, was probably something decided on before the game even hit the shelves. If that's the case, we're only seeing Sentinel the way they intended now, instead of on day 1. Might explain a few things.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned it's a good thing to get this out of the way right now; a lot of people like playing Sentinel not because he's easy or to rack up mindless wins, but because they like the style and tactics (actual tactics, not noob shit). However, there's no denying even if you want to play Sent "correctly" and not lame everything out, you still are enjoying sitting on a nice big damage sponge. Now, there's risk involved to require playing Sentinel well. We'll see how it goes.

dankir

shaowebb said:
Good question. I'm worried Akuma may have been messed with for some unknown reason. I use Ryu, but I just have this nagging suspicion that I should go check his tatsu or something.

Watch they bring Ammy's health down to 400k and give her a Level 5 resurrection super where she comes back as Amaterasu in human form :)

b0056907_47516c6361254.jpg

EDIT SHE SHOULD COME BACK AS CHIBITERASU

Okami-amaterasu-chibi.jpg

BAWWWWWWWWWWWW

hitsugi

gundamkyoukai said:
Yep i hate when they change stuff and not tell us .
but there'd be backlash if they announced it..

Oh right, that happens regardless when you do things that people don't like

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Seeing as it takes two weeks for updates to go to cert, this was in the works before desk's glitches came to light, which means that they were listening to the whining from like a week or two into the game already - ridiculous Capcom, ridiculous.

Lothars

Dahbomb said:
I don't get it. Sentinel still has one of the highest damage output in the game. He will still be killing off characters and people will still get salty over it.

To scrubs, Sentinel is still overpowered.

Sentinel is not overpowered and never was but this nerf on him is one of the best things to happen in a long time.

1. PSN/XBL patches do not get approved overnight. They typically have 3 - 6 week lead times at best, unless you are a first-party development team and get fast tracked. That means that this adjustment to Sent's health was almost certainly not reactionary. It wasn't because of whining of online players. If anything, it seems more possible in this context that the adjustment was something the team decided on when finalizing balance, but could not adjust files on the gold disc.
We've had the game for 5 weeks, and Sentinel was complained about since day 1 by bad players. Capcom-Unity has had dozens of Suggestions made demanding that he be nerfed, and he is hated all over their forums.

Even if this was a long-intended change, if Capcom had any sense of decency they would have nixed it in favor of seeing how the character plays out in the long run. Furthermore, it seems highly unlikely that there was only one major health-related change they didn't have time to implement, it was Sentinel, and it was a 400,000 health difference, or about 30% of what he has. All signs point toward Capcom caving in to mass scrubdom.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
dankir said:
I'm busting out the nerd logic here, but he's just a robot, Wolverine tears through Sentinels like 8 times his size :)

Anyways there's going to be an official list right? I want to see what other good wholesome changes that were made.

Magneto should have an instant win on Wolverine and X-23! Hyper Grav should pull them in, even on block!

I dunno how I feel about a nerf this soon. There are a bunch of glass cannons in this game.

Lothars

Ferrio said:
Ya... hate stealth changes... Wish there were proper patch notes.

I agree, there needs to be but hopefully there will be some announcement or info said about what changed from capcom.

Health nerf was the wrong nerf for Sent. Weird.

Anyways, like as stated, Patches have to be submitted some time prior to release. So this was probably submitted a month/ to 2 weeks ago to be out by now.

Maybe they were sick of seeing Sent that first week.

Dahbomb

Lothars said:
Sentinel is not overpowered and never was but this nerf on him is one of the best things to happen in a long time.
He's still gonna OCV against scrubs with LVL3 X Factor. Sentinel was never OP at top tier levels but at mid to low levels he gives players nightmares. DAT ARMORED LAUNCHER!

dankir

Oldschoolgamer said:
Magneto should have an instant win on Wolverine and X-23! Hyper Grav should pull them in, even on block!

I dunno how I feel about a nerf this soon. There are a bunch of glass cannons in this game.

This is a very true.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Sent was kind of crazy anyways, lots of close and far options that do good damage and with the most life in the game.,

Good nerf.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
I hope people understand that most likely these changes have been planned for a while. I'd assume this was done from whatever the testers have found, as I'm sure they've been playing this game for quite sometime now. Not because people have been whining for the past few weeks --just saying.

Kimosabae said:
Basically, you don't care that your opinion may be ignorant or proven flat-out wrong. All that matters is that you're frustrated by your own potential ineptitude and you want those frustrations fixed for you.

You're part of the problem.

Wow. My scrub comment was based on how most people on forums say that Sentinel is not a huge problem, but what they mean is not for them or top level players. I've nearly a thousand online matches under my belt, I check SRK every day and I've watched every major MVC3 tournament and Wednesday night fights streamed. The majority of players have Sentinel on their teams, from my experience. I'm tired of seeing the giant tugboat battles a good deal of these matches turn into. I'm glad Capcom has done something about it. See it this way: elite players will still use him as a godly assist and damage dealer, casuals will see him as less of a threat and you'll see less of him in favor of more characters. Win/win, right?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
God's Beard said:
Nerfing Marvel? Are you serious?
Thats 100% welcome to that new online console generation nukka

I'm betting this sent nerf was in the works before the game was even officially released. Most likely has nothing to do with the whining.

Put me in the group of people that think some of these changes seem premature, and question why the glitches / infinites that were made apparent by Desk were not addressed yet.

Time to peruse SRK to see what they've tweaked.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the_log_ride said:
Put me in the group of people that think some of these changes seem premature, and question why the glitches / infinites that were made apparent by Desk were not addressed yet.

Time to peruse SRK to see what they've tweaked.
patches don't come out overnight. This was most likely in the works a long time ago. Like s-kill said some of these glitches were already known about by the dev team and others were not.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
FreedomFrisbee said:
Really, it makes sense that Sentinal gets a nerf. He's one of the few characters who didn't get public play tested beforehand.

Agreed. The latest additions to the roster were the likeliest candidates, which would be Hsien-ko and Sent.

Sent has been nerfed, but it's not crippling to him. Sent users just won't get away with doing stupid shit all the time now. He has average health, so he has to actually use caution instead of shrugging off damage. His greatest strength, his horrifying damage output, sounds like it's intact.

I just caught up with the thread and I can't believe Capcom actually went ahead with this. A lot of people are going to be super salty in the coming weeks haha. Anyone who honestly believed that it was just perfect the way it was are definitely smoking some of that good stuff. It was not that bad, but it certainly had way too much health.

They probably could have kept it an even 1million, but this is good too. All they need now is an online mode patch, a spectator mode patch and an x-factor patch for the good stuff.

Give us spectator mode. Everything else is just an a small step towards the most important of the missing features.

Ferrio said:
Where do you think that health went!

I wish :(
The first thing I checked after Sentinel was Hsien-Ko. It seems like buffs will probably be one of the last things they'll apply. I don't blame them honestly. It'll be easier for everyone if cuts come first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom