• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. puppy

Banned
mr. puppy said:
why does eventhubs exist? all they do is keep on posting wrong information. they can't figure out if sent has 850k or 905k hp even

1. Sentinel's health reduced.
2. Akuma's hit stun on Hurricane Kick decreased, removing infinite.
3. Spencer ground glitch removed.
4. Haggar ground glitch removed.
5. Dormammu's Jumping Medium Attack does 70,000 damage, up from 50,000.
6. Reportedly Spencer's corner loop has been removed.

what?

goddamnit eventhbus theres no way thats true

Sentinel is going to be just fine. People can start complaining if they kill his super armor, take away hard drive priority or total his damage output.

As it stands he still owns a healthy portion of the cast with a good assist and lvl 3 x-factor is the beez neez. He is just a normal character like everyone else now. The fact that people are reacting this hard to a nerf that merely puts him at level with everyone else at worst says a lot more about how safe some people felt using him. No character should be as safe as Sentinel could be.
shaowebb said:
I am so sorry.
Thanks for the sympathy...

I'm sure she'll find some alternative use outside of gold crossover. I can hold out hope for some sort of mobility buff anyway. Maybe a buff to her to her Chireitou as well. I'm having a hard time finding a decent use for that hyper.
corrosivefrost said:
I was merely enjoying the irony that those who were a huge cause of saltiness in the community are likely now very salty themselves. Personally, I think they went a bit too low, but hey, I'm still a fan of the nerfing, since I think Sentinel was a bit overpowered.

What you say echoes mostly how I feel though. :)

I look forward to watching how Mike Ross responds to this -- his emphatic love of the robotic prophet will surely provide some sort of amusement in the next excellent adventures.

And besides, a majority of the main uses of Sentinel aren't really affected by his health; hyper/super armor is the same, he still has one of the best DHC hypers to use for the damage reset trick, his assist is still one of the best in the game, and his XF3 bonuses haven't changed, so he's still going to be a handful as an anchor.
Indeed

This is kind of funny in a way. I'd rather not dwell on it anymore myself because it can start to get mean spirited after a while. He has plenty of tools left and his xfactor can still be the kingmaker.

Things could be so much worse...

Dartastic

MThanded said:
Especially the match where i ran away successfully and forgot that after you used phoenix's hyper you cant transform. You proceeded to chip the ish out of me. Gotta get my mind right. I hate fighting five bar phoenix.
Aahahhahaha that was a fun match. :p
DarkoMaledictus said:
Any tips against Morrigan? Her flight mode into overhead is owning big time and her normals are so fast she gets in your face and stays there. Probably should use more push block, but seem to have a problem when blocking overhead into low...

Also for some reason Hsien Ko is killing me... never know whats punishable with those large hit boxes, damn team darkstalker...
With Morrigan I have problems too. I think the best thing I do against her is just have my assist game on point, and get a couple good mixups in. Push block is also really important. If I can do that, I do okay. Her rushdown can be fierce as hell though, especially if she's got that mirrored mode going on.

Dartastic said:
910,000 is not really reasonable when you're half the size of the screen. He's a giant fucking robot. He needed a damage nerf, not a health nerf.

He's have the size of the screen. Damage nerf wouldn't be reasonable by that logic either. :p

By the "half the screen" logic, you'd need to make him take up two character slots.

LakeEarth

I just hated XF3 Sentinel cause he doesn't even need to use a single bar to kill some full health characters. Seriously, pan -> launch -> 3 hits in the air -> rocket punch = dead for half the cast.

Ferrio

Banned
SolarPowered said:
I'm sure she'll find some alternative use outside of gold crossover. I can hold out hope for some sort of mobility buff anyway. Maybe a buff to her to her Chireitou as well. I'm having a hard time finding a decent use for that hyper..

Uh there's nothing wrong with it....how are you having a hard time using it? It's great for DHCs, hits OTG, carries them to the corner and you can use it after the Tenrai hyper.

Current list on SRK
Change list -
-Sentinel's health is now 905,000, down from 1,300,000. (DarkRagna says he lives at 904,900 damage, but dies at 905,000. Thanks!)
-The Haggar/Spencer freeze glitch is fixed. (Tip from trag)
-The Spencer loop found in this video is gone. (Stark tipped in that "Spencer's M followup to ground QCF now bounces him up instead of returning him to the ground, so you don't land and can't keep it going")
-Hitstun deterioration on Akuma's air Tatsu is now more severe, preventing his infinite. (Thanks to Desk for the info and research)
-This update sets the game up for the new Event mode.

Ferrio said:
Uh there's nothing wrong with it....how are you having a hard time using it? It's great for DHCs, hits OTG, carries them to the corner and you can use it after the Tenrai hyper.
I've been away from the game for a bit so I haven't made more headway yet. The only time I've spent with the game in the last two days has been in the lab where I worked with the Captain, Tron and Dormammu.

I'm gonna go to training right now and test some of this out.

yeb

SolarPowered said:
Sentinel is going to be just fine. People can start complaining if they kill his super armor, take away hard drive priority or total his damage output.

As it stands he still owns a healthy portion of the cast with a good assist and lvl 3 x-factor is the beez neez. He is just a normal character like everyone else now. The fact that people are reacting this hard to a nerf that merely puts him at level with everyone else at worst says a lot more about how safe some people felt using him. No character should be as safe as Sentinel could be.
It's not just that they nerfed him, it's how they nerfed him. This wasn't part of some major balance patch, this is mainly a bug-fixing patch. There was no warning, no explanation, and no need for this nerf. Just as people are learning how to deal with Sent, Capcom randomly decides to nerf him in a random way: they turn him into a pixie.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
enzo_gt said:
HOLY SHIT A PATCH?

Anyone got a cumulative list of things changed so far?!

Strider, Mega Man X, and Gene unlocked on disc accessible via the Konami code and a letter from your mother.

Ferrio

Banned
yeb said:
It's not just that they nerfed him, it's how they nerfed him. This wasn't part of some major balance patch, this is mainly a bug-fixing patch. There was no warning, no explanation, and no need for this nerf. Just as people are learning how to deal with Sent, Capcom randomly decides to nerf him in a random way: they turn him into a pixie.

Heard it here first, Sentinal's high health was a bug.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kaijima said:
Strider, Mega Man X, and Gene unlocked on disc accessible via the Konami code and a letter from your mother.

What are you talking about? You use the Capcom code to unlock those! The Konami code lets you pick three Sentinels with 1,300,000 health for a team!

newspaper.jpg

lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've been saying for a while that Sentinel was overrated and that his assist was severely overrated; the drones vanish if he gets hit and that assist is one of the easiest ones to punish on reaction. The difference now is that it will actually be completely worth it for any team to spend meter to punish it since it will take such a huge chunk out of his health now. (And it was already worth the meter for me because I have such a good meter-building team; Sent is 100% free to Taskmaster now.)

To be honest, I don't really have strong feelings about this specific nerf one way or another since, overrated or not, I've felt that Sentinel was a poorly designed character from day 1. I think it's a bad sign of things to come if they're willing to mess around with game balance this early, though.

People need to stop also evaluating Sent on his own. This is a team game, you can't take a character out of the box and say he's balanced. If this was a 1v1 game, yes I'd say Sent was fine. But it's not, with assists, regerating health, and dhcs you have to evaluate characters on a bigger picture. You could take any team and throw Sent in it, and he'd synergize excellently with no real drawbacks. You can't say that with many other characters.
Yes you can. About half of the cast can be thrown onto any team for great benefit because they are so versatile.

K. :p Also, does anyone else feel like health was kinda nerfed for other people as well? Something feels different, and I don't know what it is.
Phoenix also got -400K health, so she now dies to a single Hadoken's chip. Obviously I kid. Some people are claiming slight health adjustments to a lot of characters, but I haven't seen anything concrete yet.

Tron flame w flame assist or Task with arrows assist would do nicely I think.
It's a good thing you chose his arrow assist. ;-)

This is why I roll my eyes when I hear something like, "Half the cast beats Sentinel." When you face Sent, you don't just go up against him. You go up against his DHC and assist properties, both of which inherently make ANY point character dangerous. When he's on point, he works extremely well with other assists creating opening for him. When in X-Factor, he's a fucking monster.

So, yeah... if Sentinel is by himself, with no X-Factor... he's not that scary. But that's not how people should be comparing characters in this game at all.
90% of Sentinel's worth is his assist. 10% is his comeback ability during level 3 X-Factor. Meaning, when people talk about Sentinel, it's not entirely inappropriate to consider him in his lonesome, because he really is best used as an anchor.

oh shit, you actually need to protect him with assists now? fucking crazy
he's still going to be one of the best characters in the game. a health nerf won't change that.
No character should need protection via assists. Even Dormammu, one of the slowest characters in the game, can survive on his own. Sentinel is the only character who literally cannot defend himself without some form of assistance.

He's not snapping him in cause he's weak, he's snapping him so he doesn't become STRONGER with xfactor 3. Same thing you do with pheonix. Not to mention dealing with that assist blows.
Phoenix is weak though... Yes, he becomes stronger with X-Factor level 3, but the point is that without it, Sentinel is not scary at all. It's not just the amplified damage, it's that you know you can kill a Sentinel on point, even with all of his massive health, reliably; otherwise it's not worth spending the meter.

To anyone that enjoys this nerf: Please get one of your characters nerfed, and see if it's still so funny.
The thing about animals is they forget their past pains quickly.

Rocket punch may very well replace the drones entirely on teams that have sentinel since it will get him out quick. And due to this that means he will not be used to keep people out so often or juggle them with his assist, but he will be used more for getting a good ground bounce or overhead with his assist...didn't Rocket Punch cancel projectiles too?
Eh, I don't know about that. I think Air Raid would be more likely than Rocket Punch, because that still has a lot of utility. Rocket Punch kills projectiles, but it also comes out too slow to really kill them. Tron's Gustaf Flame fires a medium priority projectile, so it kills most projectiles as well, and is just a better assist in general than Rocket Punch. I think people will just be more careful about their Sentinel Force calls. Good players don't rely on Sentinel's high health to let them make a bad call, they just make good calls. In theory, at least - haha.

How's the bombing run assist? No one uses it, but it fills the screen and the drones don't seem to disappear if Sentinel is hit.
They're alright, and you are correct that they don't disappear if Sentinel gets hit. The downside of the assist is it takes a long time to have an impact on the fight, the area it covers often causes it to whiff due to how mobile fights frequently are, and you don't really get much out of them in terms of hitstun produced. So, they might see more use on keepaway-based teams, we'll see.

Gah haha, my wife is dying here.
I agree with the picture association.

why does eventhubs exist? all they do is keep on posting wrong information. they can't figure out if sent has 850k or 905k hp even
I like Eventhubs because it posts videos SRK sometimes does not bother with. I always skim it once a day to see what's up.

5. Dormammu's Jumping Medium Attack does 70,000 damage, up from 50,000.
I just checked and Dormammu's Air M indeed does 70,000 damage.
Was it 70K before, though? I don't have my strategy guide on hand, and my SRK guide can't be accessed since the site imploded again.

Maybe a buff to her to her Chireitou as well. I'm having a hard time finding a decent use for that hyper.
It's pretty awesome in corner combos, because you can land after the j.S, dash, Tenrai Ha (you are now in the corner), and then Chireitou, and it gets all its hits in. It's also a pretty good DHC in some situations; if you Chireitou into Chaotic Flame, both hypers get all their hits in.

Tasteless.

Alucrid

Banned
Professor Beef said:
What's stopping you from doing that anymore?

Iron Man's leg for his launcher is actually behind him now!

Before you were like, "Fuck yeah, take that shit." Now it's it'll be like ripping through paper.

Considering I can do a 600 damage sentinel-only combo for no meter with thor that ends on a(my new technology)reset, I'm satisfied with this change. Especially since Sent is one of the easiest characters for Thor to get in on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Karsticles said:
The thing about animals is they forget their past pains quickly.
What made it worse for Yeb was that they didn't just nerf his character, they nerfed his character explicitly because of how he played that character. Capcom gave him a personalized "Fuck You".

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I've been wondering: How many of you guys read Karsticles' posts?

Dunno about anyone else, but quote/reply ping-pong just makes my eyes slide all over the page.

shaowebb

enzo_gt said:
HOLY SHIT A PATCH?

Anyone got a cumulative list of things changed so far?!

• sent's health got nerfed to 905,000
  • akuma's tatsu now has severe hitstun deterioration killing his infinite
  • some glitches were removed
  • sets up event mode on friday
  • hsien ko got a damage buff
  • Spiderman got his new armored outfit from amazing
  • dormammu got a damage buff on air M
  • Hulk was given a dash cancel
  • Kitty helper now hits low
  • Bionic Arm now has an animation startup making it slower
  • Haggar got a better dash
  • Haggar lariat no longer cancels projectiles but reflects them
  • Dante's moves now all cancel into fireworks by accidently touching anything
  • Trish now falls during air portal summoning
  • Ryu got faster
  • Chris Redfield was given the ability to dual wield
  • She Hulk was given The Stone Cold Stunner for an extra Hyper
  • Ammy now has Chibiterasu Helper summon similar to felicia but all it can do is bark and sleep
  • Thor was given magneto's flight dash
  • Viewtiful Joe was given a teleport
  • Wesker now no longer has a walk animation its all done via teleport
  • Shuma Gorath grew an extra eye
  • Jill got a dash
  • Captain America got shot
  • Tron got super armor on every move
  • Doom lost the triangle jump but was given Sentinel's Rocket Punch
  • Morrigan grew a third tit and a second ass for more fan service
  • Felicia shaved
  • X-23 is now always invisible
  • Deadpool has an idle animation of eating tacos

We'll keep you posted when we find anything else.

DR2K

Banned
No character should need protection via assists. Even Dormammu, one of the slowest characters in the game, can survive on his own. Sentinel is the only character who literally cannot defend himself without some form of assistance.

So what tool is he missing exactly that the rest of the cast has?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
yeb said:
He got seriously buffed in SSF4. Unless you're playing AE already, I don't see your point.

It's like looking forward to a broken leg. I also played Iron Man in MvC1, 2, Marvel Super Heroes, etc. My brain just can't wrap around how to play him in this, cause of the unnecessary shit they did to him. :/

Cloudius12 said:
Rip Sent.jpg
lol

Lmao.

shaowebb said:

*Dead*

Dreavus

I just ordered the guide off amazon last week.

...Fuck.

Fixing those glitches is fine in my book (lol), but the nerf on Sent's health, and ONLY Sentinel's, was not necessary and just screams of a "knee-jerk reaction" given the common complaints about him early on. Give the game some more time before making big adjustments like that. People are just figuring out how to beat him up by abusing his size. And I don't even play Sentinel.

Just put some work into her combos in training mode and it clicked quickly. It's actually pretty cool.

Chireitou just requires a little more setup. It's also useful against assists since the blades keep moving forward. I've also found some interesting new pressure using cold star and pendulum. It won't win me a tournament, but it's new and fun!

Oldschoolgamer said:
It's like looking forward to a broken leg. I also played Iron Man in MvC1, 2, Marvel Super Heroes, etc. My brain just can't wrap around how to play him in this, cause of the unnecessary shit they did to him. :/
That reminds me of how ridiculous Magneto became from MSH to MvC2. He's practically a different character altogether.

Ferrio

Banned
DR2K said:

Not to mention that's bullshit. There's plenty of character that need assists to get in/protection and if they don't they suck. That's why some characters aren't picked to be anchors.

Hitokage said:
What made it worse for Yeb was that they didn't just nerf his character, they nerfed his character explicitly because of how he played that character. Capcom gave him a personalized "Fuck You".
Indeed, I started maining Gen after seeing Yeb play him. After the nerf and shit, I continue to try and main him. Just glad to see Yeb coming back to SSFIV and stick to Gen.

Alivor

I've been using Wolverine/Dante/Zero for a while now, but I just can't seem to make it work. I really like Wolverine and Dante, but I always struggle on the 3rd character and I'm using Zero now. Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Solune

loooool at this thread exploding over Sentinel. Some people haven't even realized what 900k health means as Sentinel. He's huge so when he gets hit when he's called out as assist he dies THAT much faster. He should have been tied for health at the very least at top but it seems Capcom don't know what they are doing again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
shaowebb said:
  • sent's health got nerfed to 905,000
  • akuma's tatsu now has severe hitstun deterioration killing his infinite
  • some glitches were removed
  • sets up event mode on friday
  • hsien ko got a damage buff
  • Spiderman got his new armored outfit from amazing
  • dormammu got a damage buff on air M
  • Hulk was given a dash cancel
  • Kitty helper now hits low
  • Bionic Arm now has an animation startup making it slower
  • Haggar got a better dash
  • Haggar lariat no longer cancels projectiles but reflects them
  • Trish now falls during air portal summoning
  • Ryu got faster
  • Ammy now has Chibiterasu Helper summon similar to felicia but all it can do is bark and sleep
  • Shuma Gorath grew an extra eye
  • Jill got a dash
  • Captain America got shot
  • Tron got super armor on every move
  • Doom lost the triangle jump but was given Sentinel's Rocket Punch
  • Morrigan grew a third tit and a second ass for more fan service
  • Felicia shaved
  • X-23 is now always invisible
  • Deadpool has an idle animation of eating tacos

So unnecessary.

Dunno about anyone else, but quote/reply ping-pong just makes my eyes slide all over the page.
Ah, is it difficult to read as-is? I'll keep that in mind in the future. I am used to making lengthy posts and reading them, but I understand that not everyone is or wants to take the time.

guide says 50k, so it's a buff for sure.
Indeed, and interesting, but I don't see why it really matters enough to change unless Dormammu received an overall damage buff.

The ability to not eat an instant overhead.

I'm going to laugh when shaowebb's changelist appears on eventhubs.
A friend on GFAQs made a changelist from MvC2 to MvC3 Sentinel, and it's spreading like wildfire over there as his changelist for this patch with much rejoice. It shows you how much effort the average Sentinel whiner took to actually understand the character they lost to so frequently.

Seriously?

He's just replying to several individual people in one post instead of 5+ posts. Why would that make you not read it? =/
That's why I try to do it like so. I don't want to spam the thread, I hate seeing my name 4-5 times in a row on a forum. If I just edit my posts like this, then people usually don't think to look back.

Dreavus

Sixfortyfive said:

Seriously?

He's just replying to several individual people in one post instead of 5+ posts. Why would that make you not read it? =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom