• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
Karsticles said:
A friend on GFAQs made a changelist from MvC2 to MvC3 Sentinel, and it's spreading like wildfire over there as his changelist for this patch with much rejoice. It shows you how much effort the average Sentinel whiner took to actually understand the character they lost to so frequently.

They lost because they pressed a button. That's all it takes to lose to Sent. Just now that when he pushes a button he gets punished hard.

Ferrio

Banned
Karsticles said:
A friend on GFAQs made a changelist from MvC2 to MvC3 Sentinel, and it's spreading like wildfire over there as his changelist for this patch with much rejoice. It shows you how much effort the average Sentinel whiner took to actually understand the character they lost to so frequently.

Don't tell me your friend is trying to justify Sent based on his MvC2 self? That's just lunacy.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Karsticles said:
Ah, is it difficult to read as-is?
Not really; I'm mostly joking around.

I usually do read everything when I'm not catching up on several pages' worth of posts.

dankir

God's Beard said:
Considering I can do a 600 damage sentinel-only combo for no meter with thor that ends on a(my new technology)reset, I'm satisfied with this change. Especially since Sent is one of the easiest characters for Thor to get in on.

With what, his air dash into overhead L?

How about making a few of Thor's normals like 15 frames faster lol. That'll bring the start up down to, oh I don't know 15 frames
I'M BEING SARCASTIC ABOUT THE FRAME NUMBERS HERE

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
yeb said:
It's not just that they nerfed him, it's how they nerfed him. This wasn't part of some major balance patch, this is mainly a bug-fixing patch. There was no warning, no explanation, and no need for this nerf. Just as people are learning how to deal with Sent, Capcom randomly decides to nerf him in a random way: they turn him into a pixie.
Sentinel high health was a bug. Someone slipped on the keyboard.

Karsticles said:
Yes you can. About half of the cast can be thrown onto any team for great benefit because they are so versatile.

Phoenix also got -400K health, so she now dies to a single Hadoken's chip. Obviously I kid. Some people are claiming slight health adjustments to a lot of characters, but I haven't seen anything concrete yet.

It's a good thing you chose his arrow assist. ;-)

90% of Sentinel's worth is his assist. 10% is his comeback ability during level 3 X-Factor. Meaning, when people talk about Sentinel, it's not entirely inappropriate to consider him in his lonesome, because he really is best used as an anchor.

No character should need protection via assists. Even Dormammu, one of the slowest characters in the game, can survive on his own. Sentinel is the only character who literally cannot defend himself without some form of assistance.

Phoenix is weak though... Yes, he becomes stronger with X-Factor level 3, but the point is that without it, Sentinel is not scary at all. It's not just the amplified damage, it's that you know you can kill a Sentinel on point, even with all of his massive health, reliably; otherwise it's not worth spending the meter.

The thing about animals is they forget their past pains quickly.

Eh, I don't know about that. I think Air Raid would be more likely than Rocket Punch, because that still has a lot of utility. Rocket Punch kills projectiles, but it also comes out too slow to really kill them. Tron's Gustaf Flame fires a medium priority projectile, so it kills most projectiles as well, and is just a better assist in general than Rocket Punch. I think people will just be more careful about their Sentinel Force calls. Good players don't rely on Sentinel's high health to let them make a bad call, they just make good calls. In theory, at least - haha.

They're alright, and you are correct that they don't disappear if Sentinel gets hit. The downside of the assist is it takes a long time to have an impact on the fight, the area it covers often causes it to whiff due to how mobile fights frequently are, and you don't really get much out of them in terms of hitstun produced. So, they might see more use on keepaway-based teams, we'll see.

I agree with the picture association.

I like Eventhubs because it posts videos SRK sometimes does not bother with. I always skim it once a day to see what's up.

Was it 70K before, though? I don't have my strategy guide on hand, and my SRK guide can't be accessed since the site imploded again.

It's pretty awesome in corner combos, because you can land after the j.S, dash, Tenrai Ha (you are now in the corner), and then Chireitou, and it gets all its hits in. It's also a pretty good DHC in some situations; if you Chireitou into Chaotic Flame, both hypers get all their hits in.

Tasteless.
you will be alright

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Aw shit, 22S+Attack with Dante makes him teleport behind you, then immediately teleport in front of you.

ITT we make up shit so eventhubs uses it.

I keep up just fine with any posts Karsticles makes.
shaowebb said:
  • sent's health got nerfed to 905,000
  • akuma's tatsu now has severe hitstun deterioration killing his infinite
  • some glitches were removed
  • sets up event mode on friday
  • hsien ko got a damage buff
  • Spiderman got his new armored outfit from amazing
  • dormammu got a damage buff on air M
  • Hulk was given a dash cancel
  • Kitty helper now hits low
  • Bionic Arm now has an animation startup making it slower
  • Haggar got a better dash
  • Haggar lariat no longer cancels projectiles but reflects them
  • Dante's moves now all cancel into fireworks by accidently touching anything
  • Trish now falls during air portal summoning
  • Ryu got faster
  • Chris Redfield was given the ability to dual wield
  • She Hulk was given The Stone Cold Stunner for an extra Hyper
  • Ammy now has Chibiterasu Helper summon similar to felicia but all it can do is bark and sleep
  • Thor was given magneto's flight dash
  • Viewtiful Joe was given a teleport
  • Wesker now no longer has a walk animation its all done via teleport
  • Shuma Gorath grew an extra eye
  • Jill got a dash
  • Captain America got shot
  • Tron got super armor on every move
  • Doom lost the triangle jump but was given Sentinel's Rocket Punch
  • Morrigan grew a third tit and a second ass for more fan service
  • Felicia shaved
  • X-23 is now always invisible
  • Deadpool has an idle animation of eating tacos

We'll keep you posted when we find anything else.
Haggar and Ammy buffs are amazing haha.

XD

haunts

Bacon of Hope
hmmm for real though wonder if they made changes to phoenix. i personally dont think xfactor should replenish her health when she is in DP mode.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
robut said:
First online fight today was against a guy running Mag/Sent/Phoenix with nearly 800 wins and my scrub ass actually won. It's a new era! :)

I wonder how many Sent players are in online matches right now going, "WTF, why does Sentinel keep dying?"

Don't tell me your friend is trying to justify Sent based on his MvC2 self? That's just lunacy.
No, he just posted it to see if people would read it crudely and take it as a list of the current changes. Mission successful.

Not really; I'm mostly joking around.

I usually do read everything when I'm not catching up on several pages' worth of posts.
Ah, okay. I only skip pages when a major tournament happen over a weekend, and there are 30 new pages of discussion about it.

They lost because they pressed a button. That's all it takes to lose to Sent. Just now that when he pushes a button he gets punished hard.
The point is Sentinel has no options to defend himself, and unlike most of the cast, he can't even make his attacks safe because of how much recovery they have.

you will be alright
FYI, I don't play Sentinel. This is actually a good change for me, because I use Taskmaster and Dormammu. Sentinel will be easier to kill than ever. If you think I'm upset because "my character got nerfed", you are being presumptuous. I am irritated at the process, and what this demonstrates for the future of the game.

hmmm for real though wonder if they made changes to phoenix. i personally dont think xfactor should replenish her health when she is in DP mode.
This would please me, but still, too early.

Papercuts

MThanded said:
Aw shit if phoenix dies with no meter she turns into dark phoenix.
carry on

Haggar has an aeriel lariat that let's you perform an invincible tridash! God damn.

DR2K

Banned
haunts said:

Personally I think Phoenix(650k) should get more health and DP less(less than 200k with no draining).

The Sentinel nerf was needed, and I'm glad they got to that quickly..

Now we can stop focusing on anti top tier character strats, and treat him like just another member of the cast.

People bitch and complain at any change. People bitch like hell cause he was too strong, now they bitch like hell because he is officially average. People need to chill. This was a amuch needed change and everyone should be very happy.

What's hilarious is that he's still an awesome character, but the amount of people using him will drop like a rock. Just like when they nerfed Sagat in SSF4. Still a great character, but oh noes no longer free wins.

This will have people experimenting with new characters, and the actual good Sentinal players will be forced to work harder. Great, great change. Thank you Capcom!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
haunts said:
Tweak the Damage, Health Recovery and Speed on her Level 3 XF, doesn't need to be completely removed, but minimalized.

Though as we have seen before, Sentinel and Level 3 XF Dark Phoenix aren't unbeatable, but the amount of good matchups to bad is staggering. If Dark Phoenix didn't have health recovery at all, I think quite a few players would drop her.

MThanded

Karsticles said:
No, he just posted it to see if people would read it crudely and take it as a list of the current changes. Mission successful.

Ah, okay. I only skip pages when a major tournament happen over a weekend, and there are 30 new pages of discussion about it.

The point is Sentinel has no options to defend himself, and unlike most of the cast, he can't even make his attacks safe because of how much recovery they have.

FYI, I don't play Sentinel. This is actually a good change for me, because I use Taskmaster and Dormammu. Sentinel will be easier to kill than ever. If you think I'm upset because "my character got nerfed", you are being presumptuous. I am irritated at the process, and what this demonstrates for the future of the game.

This would please me, but still, too early.

Welcome to the future. This is not just the future of this game this is the future of competitive (fighting) gaming in general. Look at MK didn't they add features so they can fix things without an official dlc patch? The future is here.

The gift and the curse of internet connected console gaming.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
haunts said:
I caught wind of patches in the works for both Sentinel and Phoenix while at Final Round, but who knows.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Solune said:
loooool at this thread exploding over Sentinel. Some people haven't even realized what 900k health means as Sentinel. He's huge so when he gets hit when he's called out as assist he dies THAT much faster. He should have been tied for health at the very least at top but it seems Capcom don't know what they are doing again.

Actually, considering that Sentinel's One True Assist is so powerful, I think it's just possible that Capcom's QA team might have some ability at fighting games!

kirblar

Sentinel was unlike the other high-HP tank characters in that he did not have to "pay" for his damage with a mobility loss. He was massive, but didn't move like it. The HP nerf makes complete sense from a design perspective.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
DR2K said:
Personally I think Phoenix(650k) should get more health and DP less(less than 200k with no draining).

Yeah I like this kind of solution honestly. Get players playing regular phoenix, make her a viable character, with DP being a small perk instead of a crutch. i dunno.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Let's be real here, Sentinel having more Health than Hulk was some goddamn bullshit from the start.

I would have pegged Sentinel at about 950K.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
kirblar said:
Sentinel was unlike the other high-HP tank character in that he did not have to "pay" for his damage with a mobility loss. He was massive, but didn't move like it. The HP nerf makes complete sense from a design perspective.
He has mobility but not evasive ability. His only real GTFO move is Hard Drive.

MThanded

kirblar said:
Sentinel was unlike the other high-HP tank character in that he did not have to "pay" for his damage with a mobility loss. He was massive, but didn't move like it. The HP nerf makes complete sense from a design perspective.
Nah man never that.

Errybody and their mama knows the only reason that sentinel was nerfed is because people online were complaining about him and the tears were flowing like raging rapids. No way the design team realized that lower hp made sense because they are complete idiots.

/sarcasm

Grecco

enzo_gt said:
Let's be real here, Sentinel having more Health than Hulk was some goddamn bullshit from the start.

I would have pegged Sentinel at about 950K.

Hes only a huge fucking robot, god forbid he have alot of hp.

Now Spiderman and freaking Modok have more health.

Papercuts

Arpharmd B said:
What's hilarious is that he's still an awesome character, but the amount of people using him will drop like a rock. Just like when they nerfed Sagat in SSF4. Still a great character, but oh noes no longer free wins.

This will have people experimenting with new characters, and the actual good Sentinal players will be forced to work harder. Great, great change. Thank you Capcom!

Sagat's nerfs in SSFIV changed a ton of properties about the character itself. This does nothing to change Sentinel, it just rips a big chunk of HP, it's a lazy "fix".

Take vanilla SFIV Sagat. Keep him the exact same, but give him the same health decrease(30%) they just gave Sentinel. He now has Seth's health, but otherwise plays the same.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hitokage said:
He has mobility but not evasive ability. His only real GTFO move is Hard Drive.

But what a GTFO move it is. No other character has a fully invincible Hyper that moves across the entire screen.

kirblar said:
Sentinel was unlike the other high-HP tank characters in that he did not have to "pay" for his damage with a mobility loss. He was massive, but didn't move like it. The HP nerf makes complete sense from a design perspective.

He also has good reach on his normals... and one of his normals is a beam.

Grecco said:

Spider-man doesn't.

MThanded

Grecco said:

That mofo was dumb, slow and died if the wind blew past in the tv show.

I was always under the impression that sentinel was strong at attacking but since they made so many of them that they had bad defense.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Grecco said:

Capgod hath allowed lots of HP, not Hulk-exceeding levels of ridiculous HP. Don't make me link to the TV show clips.

fakedit: What MT said.

kirblar

Grecco said:

You haven't seen the X-Men cartoon, have you? Sentinels don't really have a long lifespan.

They've definitely made Shoryuken motions easier to do again. 63236 motion works for shoryuken now. Dormammu mains rejoice! You'll no longer get dark hole instead of your Beam pillar!

Edit : and I wont Level 3 with Doom instead of Sphere Flame

Edit Edit : and I wont chaotic flame when I want to Dark Dimension with Dormammu

:D

MThanded

DiscoShark said:
They've definitely made Shoryuken motions easier to do again. 63236 motion works for shoryuken now. Dormammu mains rejoice! You'll no longer get dark hole instead of your Beam pillar!
Most likely they changed the input buffer window. This could be a good or a bad thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DiscoShark said:
MEGATON.

Maybe I can do spidey's 4th trial now.

Papercuts said:
Sagat's nerfs in SSFIV changed a ton of properties about the character itself. This does nothing to change Sentinel, it just rips a big chunk of HP, it's a lazy "fix".

Take vanilla SFIV Sagat. Keep him the exact same, but give him the same health decrease(30%) they just gave Sentinel. He now has Seth's health, but otherwise plays the same.

Trust me, people would have been much happier with a simple life nerf to Sagat, versus what we got.

People don't like changes to how characters play, a life nerf for Sagat would have been a great fix.

shaowebb

DiscoShark said:

Edit : and I wont Level 3 with Doom instead of Sphere Flame

Edit Edit : and I wont chaotic flame when I want to Dark Dimension with Dormammu

:D

Helloooooooooo <3

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
DiscoShark said:
Uh, this has always been the case in MvC3.

F,QCF has always been a DP in this game. If you input all of the individual motions for a DP (forward, down, down-forward, in that order), then the command registers as a DP even if other directions are input between or after them.

dankir

shaowebb said:
  • sent's health got nerfed to 905,000
  • akuma's tatsu now has severe hitstun deterioration killing his infinite
  • some glitches were removed
  • sets up event mode on friday
  • hsien ko got a damage buff
  • Spiderman got his new armored outfit from amazing
  • dormammu got a damage buff on air M
    [*]Hulk was given a dash cancel
  • Kitty helper now hits low
  • Bionic Arm now has an animation startup making it slower
  • Haggar got a better dash
  • Haggar lariat no longer cancels projectiles but reflects them
  • Dante's moves now all cancel into fireworks by accidently touching anything
  • Trish now falls during air portal summoning
  • Ryu got faster
  • Chris Redfield was given the ability to dual wield
  • She Hulk was given The Stone Cold Stunner for an extra Hyper
    [*]Ammy now has Chibiterasu Helper summon similar to felicia but all it can do is bark and sleep
  • Thor was given magneto's flight dash
  • Viewtiful Joe was given a teleport
  • Wesker now no longer has a walk animation its all done via teleport
  • Shuma Gorath grew an extra eye
  • Jill got a dash
  • Captain America got shot
  • Tron got super armor on every move
  • Doom lost the triangle jump but was given Sentinel's Rocket Punch
  • Morrigan grew a third tit and a second ass for more fan service
  • Felicia shaved
  • X-23 is now always invisible
  • Deadpool has an idle animation of eating tacos

We'll keep you posted when we find anything else.

I was actually excited when I read those, but when you called She Hulk a slut I was okay. WAIT A MINUTE!

shaowebb

dankir said:
I was actually excited when I read those, but when you called She Hulk a slut I was okay. WAIT A MINUTE!

Yeah, I tried to keep a balance between real things, plausible things, and ridiculous things on that list.

I'm thinking about patching that list though, I guess I'll wait and see what folks yell about the most on it first, though.

Ultimoo said:
I might need to switch my assist to Doom Rocks now, if only Doom was easy to play. D:

Use his new rocket punch.

It was incredibly inconsistent in its previous form. I remember specifically going into training and hitting the exact same motion twice (with inputs on) and getting two different special moves. As MThanded mention it's probably something to do with the input buffer window that was changed. It's hard to describe in words for me, but I can notice it being significantly easier to pull off than it was pre-patch. Just try it.

MThanded

kirblar said:
Well, then neither does the claim that he should get high HP because he's a huge robot.
getcho logic outta here son thisisneogaf.gif

10 MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OF BALANCE PATCHES..... DEALWITHIT.

on different games. Surely getting marvel tournament edition in like a year and a half. Maybe not if they just want to monetize additions using dlc. Might be the ticket.

V_Arnold

I am going to laugh every time I see someone crying over Sentinel nerf.
Big giant 10 more years deal with it char of yours got nerfed? Deal with it. Plenty of people play normal characters, your favorite Sent does not need to have one of the most hp in the game "just because". His X Factor threat level is still one of the highest, his assist is still cheap (albeit a little more risky now), his moves are still the same. Deal. With. It. It is not a Hero to Zero case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom