• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
The timeliness of the patch is amazing.

If Sagat was patched within the first month, SF4 would have been a much better game for it.

Instead we had to wait a whole year for them to fix him.

Way to go Capcom for being on the ball, and caring about your product.

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I can't get a conclusive damage on it, though I'm not getting close to the ~316K number above. Even doing it to the same character in the same spot is getting a different amount, even as low as 198K. Though I guess I'd need to clear the cache and be offline if I want to see if it was the same before.

Exactly. If playing on 360, you could easily check by clearing cache and playing offline.
I can check quickly if someone really wants.

Edit: Tried quick on Thor/Haggar/Hulk.
Most damage was against Hulk -- 32 hits for 305k.
Averaged somewhere in the 270-280k range for about 280 hits.
Low was 105k against Thor full screen.

It's really dependent on Ammy's screen position relative to opponent when it's executed.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Kaijima said:
The Sent situation makes me imagine what it'd be like if say, normal form Phoenix had great health and was suddenly cut to her low health; would people freak out, arguing that she was doomed since now she was too frail and weak? When in reality, it compensates for her scary abilities. (FYI, if Dark Phoenix didn't exist but normal Phoenix still worked as she does now, I suspect she would still have lower health than almost anybody else.)
Are you seriously comparing Phoenix to Sentinel in terms of how many useful tools are at their disposal?

hitsugi

Arpharmd B said:
The timeliness of the patch is amazing.

If Sagat was patched within the first month, SF4 would have been a much better game for it.

Instead we had to wait a whole year for them to fix him.

Way to go Capcom for being on the ball, and caring about your product.
Joke post? When did vanilla sagat win a major? Oh, he wasn't even in finals? You mean to tell me that Yun, a force acknowledged by actual top players as being over the top and so good that people who have yet to even play AE are in tears over him was intentional? Weird. Looks like Capcom really does care..

Which is why we're getting replays, spectator mode and other positive additions that we should have had from day 1.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sixfortyfive said:
Are you seriously comparing Phoenix to Sentinel in terms of how many useful tools are at their disposal?

Uh, no. Don't take it so literally. It's just a metaphor for how people perceive balance.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
JWonggg Justin Wong
God.... X-Factor should be the one thats nerf, not Sent... X-factor is dumb and its way too easy to win when its on. Nerf x factor please!!

JeTmAn81

MThanded said:
JWonggg Justin Wong
God.... X-Factor should be the one thats nerf, not Sent... X-factor is dumb and its way too easy to win when its on. Nerf x factor please!!

Nerfing of X-factor in the next patch confirmed

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
hitsugi said:
Joke post? When did vanilla sagat win a major? Oh, he wasn't even in finals? You mean to tell me that Yun, a force acknowledged by actual top players as being over the top and so good that people who have yet to even play AE are in tears over him was intentional? Weird. Looks like Capcom really does care..

Which is why we're getting replays, spectator mode and other positive additions that we should have had from day 1.
I thought japan was dominated by a sagat or two :p

Also mvc3 team =/= sf4 team

MThanded said:
JWonggg Justin Wong

Well, God has spoken, so let us follow his good word, people. :3

Lost Fragment said:
I was gonna say prevent xfactor from healing her health, take chip away from DP normals, and give her DP teleport a little more recovery, but I like this better.

So you want them to make her useless .
Allot of the problems with this game is with x factor not the chars them self.
When people play Phoneix it changes there whole game you don't do super combos like everyone else.
Having to save 5 super and not do super combos , DF should be little crazy.

Stuneseht

Ferrio said:
Then you'll split the community.
I feel like this is partially true; but i would compare it to turning off the items in Super Smash bros.
The matches may play out slightly diffferent; but fundamentally, you're still trying to deplete ''X characters health to zero.

vg260

yeb said:
To anyone that enjoys this nerf: Please get one of your characters nerfed, and see if it's still so funny.

The point here is that character needed something done. I don't feel sorry for any Sentinel players, as the on-disc version had way, way more things going for him than anyone else in every category. If they decided to nerf Ryu or VJoe in this game, then that's one thing, but his few weakness were completely overshadowed by his amazing advantages. Now his health is actually in-line with the rest of the cast, and the idea that people are crying foul because their character no longer rules in every way is ridiculous. People decrying this need to understand fair play and need to be reasonable. I bet if his beam killed in one hit and they took it out, people would still complain.

DR2K said:
The sentinel nerf is delicious. Given his mobility, range, and damage he had no business having so much health. Hopefully now every other team won't have Sent in it.

Yes. Something had to give.

Kaijima said:
Actually, I really think the more relevant point isn't how easy Sentinel is to beat, but how much of a chore it could be. The character with the easiest basic attack patterns to learn and execute, beams on tap, and also the biggest damage sponge.... eh? Even if Sent is vulnerable to instant overheads and has a huge crouching hit box, the bigger problem and pink elephant in the room is that Sent's balance made people lazy. Having an extra vulnerable hit box means a lot less when you got so much health you sometimes don't even notice eating damage because you were playing stupid.

Guys like Thor and Haggar need their Mighty Health because they're going to suffer all kinds of shit and do so while executing a much more intricate and varied strategy compared to the generic Sent usage. A great point was also brought up about the health adjustment making picking Sent purely for easy mode assist obsolete.

Compare Sent to Modok, who also "suffers" from having a huge crouching hitbox, huge easy to hit body overall, but less than 1,000,000 health. Modok can be a great character, even deadly, but Modok players cannot play stupid like Sentinel players could. If you don't know how to play Modok you get destroyed easily.

Honestly, I'd RATHER play Sentinel with less health, because now the character seems less boring. the overall point is that whatever the matchup and whether or not Sentinel was universally OP or not... the character was thoughtless to play and a psychological crutch for even good players. IMHO, I suspect that's why we haven't seen a lot of Sent teams winning tournaments.... because in the streams I have seen at least, teams built around Sent even at higher levels are just using Sentinel on auto-pilot half the time. Lazy attributes encourage lazy play.

Edit: I should added that yes, I think Sent's balance was lazier than anything else in the game, including DISRUTAR. There's some temptingly easy and effective angles with many other characters... but nothing as bad as Sent.

You sir, have some of the best posts on here.

2&2 said:
The point here is that character needed something done. I don't feel sorry for any Sentinel players, as the on-disc version had way, way more things going for him than anyone else in every category. If they decided to nerf Ryu or VJoe in this game, then that's one thing, but his few weakness were completely overshadowed by his amazing advantages. Now his health is actually in-line with the rest of the cast, and the idea that people are crying foul because their character no longer rules in every way is ridiculous. People decrying this need to understand fair play and need to be reasonable. I bet if his beam killed in one hit and they took it out, people would still complain.

No, yeb is right. You personally have a completely different tone when people talk about SSF4 guile nerfs. In the same way, he was nerfed to make the a lot of the cast more viable.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
2&2 said:
People are complaining because Sentinel has already been shown to not be the overpowered god that many including you insist he is. Given more time, maybe Sentinel would have been exposed some more. Now he's stuck with a 25% health reduction when he's already incredibly weak to rushdown pressure.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay, look even if he didn't deserve the nerf I bet he's still better than good chunk of the cast. If this allows for more varied teams because everyone and their mother isn't picking him then good.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ferrio said:
Okay, look even if he didn't deserve the nerf I bet he's still better than good chunk of the cast. If this allows for more varied teams because everyone and their mother isn't picking him then good.
Nerf Dante!

kirblar

I have the feeling Justin's more upset about losing his automatic % edge in Sentinel matchups (since his teams are normally designed to pulverize him) than any actual concerns about game balance.

vg260

DryEyeRelief said:
No, yeb is right. You personally have a completely different tone when people talk about SSF4 guile nerfs. In the same way, he was nerfed to make the a lot of the cast more viable.

How I feel depends on the character and situation. I see Sent's advantages in MvC3 over the rest of the cast as being way more egregious than Guile's in Super. I see Sent as the same level as Sagat in SFIV. Guile in Super is in no way comparable to either. Some of the Guile nerfs in AE are just fine, but he wasn't nearly in as dire need as Sentinel, and I thought all his nerfs combined were too much. If I felt Guile in Super was on the level of Sentinel in MvC3, I sure as heck would want him nerfed.

I want a fair and balanced character. I just don't think Sent was. If that's what Guile turns out to be in AE, great, but I feel he wasn't nearly as far off as the nerfs indicate. Also, this was a simple health nerf, and none of his move properties were altered, unlike Guile and some others in AE. I'll gladly trade a Guile nerf in AE for a Sent nerf in MvC3, because I feel Sent was a much bigger issue for the online community than Guile is in Super.

RS4-

MoxManiac said:
Chris stuff is there pre-patch. I don't think it's a glitch, just a (weird) property of Chris' hyper.

oh fuck really? thanks.

I'll just have to figure out how to add armor to Dorm again.

vg260

Hitokage said:
Getting counterpicked by a large portion of the cast is unbalanced?

Being overpowered is why they're having to counterpick. I wanna see people pick their team and roll with it, not have to use a spot just to counter your opponent's choice. That's just me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom