• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

cordy

Banned
I think the FGC wants MvCI to just be Marvel 3 with more characters

They might as well not play the game at all then. If we got MvC3 with more characters, like everything the same but with different characters, I personally wouldn't be playing it at all. Just, nah bruh I need something else other than MvC3. I like the new gameplay changes, it adds diversity for me.

"We off that" - Drake voice

Crocodile

A) I think the "dumbed down" comes up because they like throwing around "more accessible".

B) Again, players are going to get BODIED just as hard when they jump online. And then they'll quit like they always do. It's just how fighting games are. People don't want to hold that L, they stop playing. Fighting games have an uncanny ability to make you feel like you don't know how to play the game when you face someone better than you. They make you feel like you aren't even PLAYING the game because your opponent dictates the pace so hard.

It's not like a team based shooter, arguably the most popular games in the world, where you can pick on a shitty player on the other team. Or place blame on your team mates when you lose. OR rely on your team mates to help you. Shooting games never make you feel like your soul just got snatched like fighting games do. You got shot in the head? Respawn in 5 seconds and its on to the next one. Get perfected in fighting games? GOTTA HOLD THAT SHIT.

What I'm saying is... no matter how you "dumb down" a fighting game, no matter how easy or accessible you make it, you will always get bodied by someone better than you. And for most people, that feeling of utter hopelessness when you get exposed will cause them to quit the game forever.

I don't disagree with a word of what you're saying here really. I just think the aim is mostly to make sure that people on a level playing field can actually play the game but not in a "baby/hold you hand/limit options" way that "Simple" modes tend to do. I think the goal is to make sure Scrub A vs. Scrub B is a good game (hopefully the netcode and matchmaking are actually on point this time) and not both players just rolling their faces on the control pad and hoping something good happens. Like Smash Bros has always been a hit with many of my video gaming friends in a way that games like Marvel haven't been even if they like the Marvel & Capcom IPs - the control scheme has a lot to do with that. I can understand how things like "picking 3 characters + 3 assists" can be inherently intimidating to scrubs even if I like that aspect of Marvel or SG.

Like I get what they are doing AND I get why many people in here are upset or how this may turn out to be a game many of us like less from a gameplay standpoint given the stated goals (though its super early of course). I feel like I'm taking all side here LOL.

So now we're already declaring that any success Infinite potentially sees will only be because of single-player content? There's absolutely no possibility that this game could end up with a fun, deep system at all and garner success from that?

This community is hilarious at times. It's good to see MVC3 players do exactly what MVC2 players did when MVC3 was unveiled, though.
History repeats itself every single time.

dlauv

I did not like how MvC3 controlled at all, especially with a dualshock 3, and wrapping my head around all of the mechanics and lack of compelling single-player options and bad netcode just made me retire to SSF4 and stick with Marvel 2.

So, I'm hoping this will bring me back. The idea of better-tailoring it to controllers and providing a lower barrier of entry is appealing, but the idea of something as relatively neutral as Street Fighter with 30-second combo-crafting does not.

convo

So now we're already declaring that any success Infinite potentially sees will only be because of single-player content? There's absolutely no possibility that this game could end up with a fun, deep system at all and garner success from that?

This community is hilarious at times. It's good to see MVC3 players do exactly what MVC2 players did when MVC3 was unveiled, though.

A long term memory isn't exactly a strong suit of humanity as of late lol. I do expect shit talkers that talk of nostalgia to back it up with arguments and examples but they'll have to do videos to make themselves heard. Maximilian doing those hilarious youtube thumbnails cracks me up when he knows he's being stupid with that.

Gartooth

Yeah I'm really disappointed as well about no assists. That was the big mechanic I loved in the Vs. series, and don't even mind 3v3 being gone as much.

I just want to see more gameplay of the Infinity Stones to see what they can add to team building.

Also maybe RE and GotG characters tonight to cross promote with the RE7/GotG2 hype?

I see we're at the "ya'll motherfuckers don't like change" part of blanket anti-criticism.

Maybe RE and GotG characters tonight to cross promote with the RE7/GotG2 hype?

I can see GOTG. Maybe Rocket or Groot given the amount of focus on them in the trailer.

Mik317

I think the "casuals" people are talking about won't stick around no matter what. MKX does a lot to get that audience but I imagine most of them bail out after a few weeks too.

I think the ideal is to get those guys, the "casuals" who might turn into slightly less "casual", and the hardcore all on board. That way when the first group leaves, you still have a healthy game to support w/ post launch content. That shit is hard tho. Because for the hardcore to stay, there needs to be that constant "oh shit new tech yo" feeling so they continue to play the game for damn near a decade. However that probably would push the midtier peeps away because they can't keep up...and requires a system deep enough for that new tech to be hidden..which might turn off the casual base. This goes the other way too. Its a tough balance.

However, I think Marvel has a chance to get closest to it. Its made by Capcom, which despite their fuck ups, gets hardcore people in initially. Its marvel and will get pushed heavy (dat Disney money), so the casuals are in too (plus arcade mode AND a story mode...so theres that). So they will get people to buy in (barring a classic Capcom near launch fuck up event...lord pls no)....

if anything I am interested in seeing if this can be the success SFV could have been without the shit decisions.

Serious fighting game players, people who play to compete, generally don't consider a story mode as necessary or important, even if it is something they would enjoy, because to them it's a side dish.

But story mode matters if you want people outside that specific audience to pick up your game. I refuse to use the term "casuals" because many of the people in this broader audience play shitloads of videogames, but regardless of what you call them there's a very large chunk of sales that can come from the general gaming audience. Look at how well Netherrealm's fighters sell, look at the mindshare that exists outside of the FGC. People absolutely buy those games for the story mode, then either trade them in or keep them around to play matches with buddies from time to time.

This shouldn't even be an argument anymore. Having a story mode does not preclude having good gameplay mechanics, it doesn't take away from the things that makes a fighting game great for tournament play. It does, however, draw in more people to buy the game for short term engagement, and more sales is a good thing for ensuring your favorite fighting franchise stays afloat.

A game isn't necessarily bad for not having a story mode, but having meaningful single player content will generally earn you a lot of good word of mouth, good press, and sales.

I think the "casuals" people are talking about won't stick around no matter what. MKX does a lot to get that audience but I imagine most of them bail out after a few weeks too.

I think there's a big difference between the hardcore fighting gamers who keep your game alive long term and the general gaming audience who are looking more for short term engagement. Good single player content, especially a good story mode, helps bring them and their money in, and even if they don't stick around the game made money off of them. And if they were pleased with that experience, they'll pass along positive word of mouth, leading to more sales from gamers looking for that short term engagement and maybe something to keep on the shelf for when buddies are over.

You definitely appeal to these two crowds in very different ways, but because a story mode does not impede the development of a healthy core fighting system the two should not be seen as opposed in any way. And there's nothing WRONG with people paying to play a fighter for a while and leaving it, especially if they were never going to be the type of person to stick around anyway. It definitely takes a certain type to put time into a fighting game. As mentioned above, fighters aren't team shooters, these things break you when you first play someone with real skill.

Mega Man isn't even in this game, that's X. They might put MM in later, but I doubt it.

Mega Man isn't in TvC either, that's Megaman Volnutt. That game does have Roll though

X and Volnutt are still Mega Mans, though. They fill the status quo in their games. UMVC3 didn't have one period.

Hell, I would of even accepted MegaMan.EXE if either X or Classic were downright impossible to include or something. I would of been even alright if they ported over Volnutt from TVC.

I see we're at the "ya'll motherfuckers don't like change" part of blanket anti-criticism.

I can see GOTG. Maybe Rocket or Groot given the amount of focus on them in the trailer.
Every time a fighting game sequel is announced, people go nuts that their mains, systems, or moves aren't the same. Happened with SFV.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I think the ideal is to get those guys, the "casuals" who might turn into slightly less "casual", and the hardcore all on board. That way when the first group leaves, you still have a healthy game to support w/ post launch content. That shit is hard tho. Because for the hardcore to stay, there needs to be that constant "oh shit new tech yo" feeling so they continue to play the game for damn near a decade. However that probably would push the midtier peeps away because they can't keep up...and requires a system deep enough for that new tech to be hidden..which might turn off the casual base. This goes the other way too. Its a tough balance.

However, I think Marvel has a chance to get closest to it. Its made by Capcom, which despite their fuck ups, gets hardcore people in initially. Its marvel and will get pushed heavy (dat Disney money), so the casuals are in too (plus arcade mode AND a story mode...so theres that). So they will get people to buy in (barring a classic Capcom near launch fuck up event...lord pls no)....

if anything I am interested in seeing if this can be the success SFV could have been without the shit decisions.
For sure a good proportion of them leave after the first month, but I think that post-launch content also targets and attempts to retain those casuals for a bit longer.

This is why the Season Pass exists of course, and also why it has dominated the industry.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
So do we think that considering the theme of 'power stones' (Infinity gems) being in the game means Capcom would actually add a Power Stone character this time?

Simplifying fighting games to encourage casual players to stick with them has never fucking worked. Not once. It's infuriating that developers still try to trot out that line for it, too. I can't tell if they're dumb enough to believe it or just trying to work the PR angle.

Ultras were supposed to be a comeback mechanic to keep players in the game in SF4, but it's more likely that a pro will make better use of it, while a scrub will just whiff and waste it on wake-up.

Any dunce can do some damage with X-Factor, but you're more likely to be shredded by Wong's XF1 Wolverine who knows how to kill all of your characters before they can do anything or a competent XF3 Vergil who can clean up when things go south.

I like that SF5's input buffer is a lot more lenient than in prior entries of the series, but quite a lot of the faces seen at Capcom Cup 2016 are the same as in 2015.

Even fucking Smash Bros has only 2 attack buttons, but Melee also happens to have the most consistent tournament results of any fighting game ever. Because the people who place well just know how to play the game better than the rest of the competition. And there were even plenty of posts here on GAF complaining that Smash 4 was too complicated when that game was released.

You can dumb down Infinite as much as you like. It won't change a thing. The dedicated players will be the ones who get results, and the people who can't handle their losses or figure out how to learn from them will throw in the towel and move on with their lives as soon as they're tired of taking a beating online. Nothing you can do can keep the latter group around; that's a mindset problem that can't be solved through game development.

MIj6o.gif

Mik317

X and Volnutt are still Mega Mans, though. They fill the status quo in their games. UMVC3 didn't have one period.

Hell, I would of even accepted MegaMan.EXE if either X or Classic were downright impossible to include or something.

UMCV3 had TWO megamans tho.

Megaman Zero

and Megaman Frank

i am sorry

Top Bottom