• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
After ~1.800 yesterday i expected 2.000+. So 977 is okay and gives some hope that containment over there will start to work, especially after what they have announced yesterday. But for that we will have to wait at least another week. Death count due to age is awful.

If anything I expect Italy to become one of the most successful countries at fighting this and winning.
Any country willing to lockdown and test heavy is going to do just fine at the end of this.

I give Italy much respect

for those asking what is wrong with Italy like they are doing something wrong, you guys need to understand they are one of very few places doing it just right.

US should be testing, they would make Italy look very normal.

Why is Italy so bad? Or are they painting a more realistic picture of what the other countries look like?

That's why:

tenor.gif

If anything I expect Italy to become one of the most successful countries at fighting this and winning.
Any country willing to lockdown and test heavy is going to do just fine at the end of this.

I give Italy much respect

for those asking what is wrong with Italy like they are doing something wrong, you guys need to understand they are one of very few places doing it just right.

US should be testing, they would make Italy look very normal.

Yes, sticking your head in the sand and ignoring it will not help, it'll just let the problem exacerbate itself even more.

We need to test test test everyone, repeatedly until we can narrow down where this is located and work on quarantining those people/areas.

My fear is it's already too widespread to be contained in any meaningful way.

Good Guy Xi

Greece closed.

Last edited:

nbcjr

Switzerland has officially accepted the pandemic and stopped tried to contain:

The Federal Office of Public Health (BAG) adjusted the objectives of the measures on March 9, 2020. The goal is now to slow the spread, to protect people at increased risk of complications (such as people over 65 years of age, people with high blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, chronic respiratory diseases, diseases and therapies that weaken the immune system, cancer) and hospital capacities ensure for serious cases of illness.

31 cases in Brazil. When this reaches the hundreds I'll be fucking scared, as someone who works in a hotel and sees foreigners every day.

New Jersey reports its first coronavirus death
From CNN's Sheena Jones

A man in his 60s is the first New Jersey patient to die from coronavirus, the New Jersey's governor's office announce.

March Madness will go on as planned

The National Collegiate Athletic Association's Mach Madness tournaments are still scheduled to kick off next week as planned.
NCAA President Mark Emmert says that neither the organization’s appointed coronavirus advisory panel nor the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “have advised against holding sporting events.”

Kamina

Golden Boy
Two people at my workplace (of 1400) were sent home to quarantine today, after having found out that they had contact with confirmed Corona cases.
People were asked to take their laptops home in case of quarantine to keep working possible.
They aslo asked to try to have Skype meetings instead of personal meetings.
We expect that we’ll be sent on home office duty rather than appearing at the local office soon.

Last edited:
Two people at my workplace (of 1400) were sent home to quarantine today, after having found out that they had contact with confirmed Corona cases.
People were asked to take their laptops home in case of quarantine to keep working possible.
We expect that we’ll be sent on home office duty rather than appearing at the local office.

Yikes. Hoping for the best.

Jtibh

Banned
  • 6th patient dies from Cov-19 in UK
  • US CDC Chief: "the US is beyond virus containment in some areas"
  • Austria, Switzerland close borders with Italy
  • NJ Governor declares state of emergency
  • Harvard moves classes online
  • Xi takes victory lap in Wuhan
  • Italy reports 36% jump in deaths, cases climb above 10,000
  • Three Canadians test positive in Calgary
  • Spain suspends parliament after lawmaker infected.
  • EU suspends parliament indefinitely
  • Italian government suspends mortgage payments across country
  • CDC says nearly 5,000 tests have been conducted in US through Monday
  • National Guard is deploying to New Rochelle, area businesses, schools will close, Cuomo says
  • New Jersey confirms first death
  • Trump arrives on Capitol Hill to discuss stimulus plan with Republicans

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣3 calgarians test positive.
That means more to come. I might be already infected....cough....cough..wink wink.

Fake news . Its all fake news

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yikes. Hoping for the best.
To be honest, i am feeling rather weird since yesterday too. Pressure behind my forehead, slight cough and generally unmotivated.
Could be a comming cold, as one of my colleagues had a cold last week, but I am in meetings contantly, meeting dozens of people daily.
Nobody has contacted me yet. If i feel strange tomorrow still and depending on the symptoms, i will have to consider reporting this.

Last edited:
Trump says White House doctor did not advise him to be tested for coronavirus

President Trump said he did not get tested for coronavirus even after he met with some lawmakers who had been exposed to the virus because the White House doctor said he didn't need to.

"I don't think it's a big deal. I would do it," Trump said when asked why he hadn't been tested. He added that he feels "very good."
"It's something I would do, but again, spoke to the White House doctor -- a terrific guy a talented guy. He said he sees no reason to do it," Trump said.

this is fine save the kits for people who really need it
it is not like we South Korea drive-thru testing ova here

Last edited:
US CDC Chief: "the US is beyond virus containment in some areas"

Which means without further containment efforts it is beyond containment everywhere. It feels like our government does want this to spread. Wiping out all of the retirees would probably have some benefit on the economy, right?

As someone who has family that could be hurt by this I am really disappointed in how this is being managed here.

From my company, all the way up to the White House, it seems that keeping employees working and business as usual continuing is more important than the citizens themselves. Another sign to me that the corporations really are running the show. This is my main problem with capitalism in its current form.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Which means without further containment efforts it is beyond containment everywhere. It feels like our government does want this to spread. Wiping out all of the retirees would probably have some benefit on the economy, right?

As someone who has family that could be hurt by this I am really disappointed in how this is being managed here.

From my company, all the way up to the White House, it seems that keeping employees working and business as usual continuing is more important than the citizens themselves. Another sign to me that the corporations really are running the show. This is my main problem with capitalism in its current form.
After yesterdays briefing i would hope the goverment has a plan to financially support businesses and families to encourage people to stay home if they feel ill .
Help families or parents who have to stay at home with their kids due to school closures.

We have to understand this is becoming a long therm situation and we are not china where they can control the people by force.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Ok, so you can still get tested for free even if you don't have insurance?

i can only assume...thats how hospitals work when they are forced to perform life saving procedures on people who cant provide any information prior to the operation.

the law abiding payers eat it.

the hospital and insurance companies are going to get paid either way, doesnt matter what patron pays for it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Why is Italy so bad? Or are they painting a more realistic picture of what the other countries look like?
The age brackets for mortality speak volumes. 99% of deaths were in people older than 60. 90+ yo people are relatively few because 1) there’s less of them, b) they have probably been cared for better when this started to look serious. Also very old people hardly get out of their houses by themselves to shop or just take a walk. But people 60-90yo were hit the hardest because many of them are still relatively active, so they got around to do their daily business until they fell sick.

So, the situation is this bad because almost all the people seriously affected are old and with preexisting issues (hard to not have cardiac issues at 70+ years of age, and many have diabetes too) and there’s simply not enough resources to treat them all. Also most cases are concentrated in a relatively small area, which means resources are even more limited. This is the simplest explanation.

E-Cat

i can only assume...thats how hospitals work when they are forced to perform life saving procedures on people who cant provide any information prior to the operation.

the law abiding payers eat it.

the hospital and insurance companies are going to get paid either way, doesnt matter what patron pays for it.
Arguably, a test for a virus is not a "life saving procedure"; so, I would not rule out a hospital flat out refusing to test if you don't have insurance. Anyone have any concrete information on this?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Arguably, a test for a virus is not a "life saving procedure"; so, I would not rule out a hospital flat out refusing to test if you don't have insurance. Anyone have any concrete information on this?

Articles state that the us gov is considering paying for uninsured, using emergency funds like they would for disaster relief. Etc

Liljagare

Meanwhile, in Sweden, 70 of the staff in a hospital that were exposed to a patient that tested positive for Covid-19 have been told to keep working, but self observe their symptoms.

Like.. it's almost like there is a will to spread it all over!? Officials have stated they are not doing anything but asking people with symptoms to remain at home, however, if it becomes needed to call for quarantines, they could do it like so! (Official snapped their fingers on live broadcast). Healthy students should keep going to schools where they have reported cases, etc, etc, etc..

Sweden is not handling this right either..

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Meanwhile, in Sweden, 70 of the staff in a hospital that were exposed to a patient that tested positive for Covid-19 have been told to keep working, but self observe their symptoms.

Like.. it's almost like there is a will to spread it all over!? Officials have stated they are not doing anything but asking people with symptoms to remain at home, however, if it becomes needed to call for quarantines, they could do it like so! (Official snapped their fingers on live broadcast). Healthy students should keep going to schools where they have reported cases, etc, etc, etc..

Sweden is not handling this right either..
Well, knowing how shit the Nursery system in Sweden is since years, the healthcare would collapse if these nurses went into sick leave.

A mom on sending her daughter on a Spring Break cruise ship vacation: "She thought if she just kept enough alcohol in her system it would ward off any germs. So I got her some Lysol wipes and the all you can drink package.”

I am beginning to believe we deserve to be ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom