• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sign a letter telling states to allow mass protests and riots, then:

They can fuck right off. Good lord. The lockdown was absolutely devastating.

Then again, more than 1000 "medical experts" signed a letter in support of the protests, so if there's any overlap with this letter in terms of signatories, then I guess that tells you all you need to know about how seriously to take it.

Stouffers

Banned
rkKBYMc.jpg
Fauci’s part of a throuple?

nyr88nyg

Banned
A lot of people have said that natural immunity to covid 19 doesn’t exist or doesn’t last long. They were wrong.

”A research group based at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai in New York looked at nearly 20,000 people with mild to moderate illness. The group tells a more reassuring story in an unpublished research report.

It finds that 90% of those people had antibody responses that lasted at least three months. And these antibodies neutralized the virus, at least in the lab.

"It's reasonable to assume that there will be protection for a time frame of one to three years.," says Florian Krammer, one of the scientists on that study. "But of course, we are scientists. We have to prove that, right? That's why everyone's cautious about it. But I think that's a pretty fair assumption."“

nyr88nyg

Banned
Here's a study refuting your claim: https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

Where is the massive increase in numbers in New York City for example, guess they had no protests?

And I'm not talking about your measures from some few months ago, I'm talking about the recent response of local governors that saw numbers crawling up.

And what's your reasoning for Brazils failure, also BLM protests?
NYC didn’t blow up again because they already have widespread immunity.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
A lot of people have said that natural immunity to covid 19 doesn’t exist or doesn’t last long. They were wrong.

”A research group based at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai in New York looked at nearly 20,000 people with mild to moderate illness. The group tells a more reassuring story in an unpublished research report.

It finds that 90% of those people had antibody responses that lasted at least three months. And these antibodies neutralized the virus, at least in the lab.

"It's reasonable to assume that there will be protection for a time frame of one to three years.," says Florian Krammer, one of the scientists on that study. "But of course, we are scientists. We have to prove that, right? That's why everyone's cautious about it. But I think that's a pretty fair assumption."“

"at least three months" is not all that reassuring?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
More and more staff at my work testing positive. None of them particularly sick. We have so many covid patients (mostly from local nursing homes) that we just started putting them in regular rooms, at times on bipap...meaning staff is completely fucked. Leads to short staffing to an already burdened system. My hospital says difficult to a hire because nobody wants to jump into a hospital right now, and they can't increase pay because they are not making money. I could see it getting bad soon, still hard to tell.

nyr88nyg

Banned
"at least three months" is not all that reassuring?

Did you miss this part?

“"It's reasonable to assume that there will be protection for a time frame of one to three years.," says Florian Krammer, one of the scientists on that study. "But of course, we are scientists. We have to prove that, right? That's why everyone's cautious about it. But I think that's a pretty fair assumption."“

bigsnack

any proof of that claim?
i mean scientists themselves are not even sure if post-desease immunity is a thing for covid-19

If there is no such thing as post disease immunity, then working on a vaccine is basically a complete waste of time, as is any of the social distancing / mask wearing, etc. We might as well just carry on back to pre-COVID19 normal if that is the case, because that means the virus is here to stay and people will contract it regularly just like the common cold. At that point, all that's left is everyone's personal responsibility to take care of themselves and keep themselves out of a risk group.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So something strange is going in in CA. We've talked to people who went to get tested and it was like a two hour wait. They filled out paperwork and decided to leave and not do the test. Then a couple of days later they got a call saying their test was positive. BUT THEY NEVER WENT THROUGH WITH THE TEST. They just filled out the paperwork and left, but were recorded as a positive case.

WoJ

So something strange is going in in CA. We've talked to people who went to get tested and it was like a two hour wait. They filled out paperwork and decided to leave and not do the test. Then a couple of days later they got a call saying their test was positive. BUT THEY NEVER WENT THROUGH WITH THE TEST. They just filled out the paperwork and left, but were recorded as a positive case.

This has allegedly been happening here in Ohio too. I am wondering if it is an urban legend type thing or legit?

Majukun

the main question here would be who "we" are and who these "people" are.

jadedm17

Its funny how the rest of the world doesnt have a problem with wearing masks, most countries are getting back to normal, yet the US seems to have a problem with this, protests, people saying masks are against their freedom acts, yet have 75k new cases per day, risk of closing everything again and even more deaths dont seem to change their mentality.

Mericans truly are one of a kind.

Im in Florida.
Several of my coworkers and former coworkers dont even believe covid19 is a thing.

My coworkers wear masks but someone i used to work with quit the day they told her to wear a mask. (Shes a bartender.)

Alx

The lab probably thought they lost their sample, and took the "better safe than sorry" route. (well a more professional one would have been to tell them they couldn't find their sample, bust most people won't admit their -assumed- mistakes)

nyr88nyg

Banned
any proof of that claim?
i mean scientists themselves are not even sure if post-desease immunity is a thing for covid-19

Yes

"For most sites, it is likely that greater than 10 times more ... infections occurred than the number of reported Covid-19 cases," the team wrote.
In New York, the CDC estimates suggest that 642,000 people were infected by April 1 but at that point only 53,803 cases were officially reported. That means the number of infections could be at least 12 times higher than reported, the CDC said.

cryptoadam

Banned
If in March/April/May they could of done as many test as they have been doing in June and July they would of found a lot more cases in the east coast. ITs like 500-800K tests a day now, back then they were doing what 50K or something, if that ?

Siri

Banned

Time will tell. We need to keep our fingers crossed.

It is worrisome though that we‘re hearing about people from all around the world who have clearly gotten Covi19 twice already. We can’t just wish that away.

Also, you really shouldn’t say ‘they were wrong’. There’s not enough science there to make such a bold declaration.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

Banned

It is worrisome though that we‘re hearing about people from all around the world who have clearly gotten Covi19 twice already. We can’t just wish that away.

Also, you really shouldn’t say ‘they were wrong’. There’s not enough science there to make such a bold declaration.

Yes, and that happens with every communicable disease. If a person has a poor immune system, they are less likely to develop immunity towards a pathogen.

If in March/April/May they could of done as many test as they have been doing in June and July they would of found a lot more cases in the east coast. ITs like 500-800K tests a day now, back then they were doing what 50K or something, if that ?
But we can’t talk about that. Otherwise how will we sell the public on the idea that this is the worst things have ever been?

diffusionx

Gold Member
QUOTE="cryptoadam, post: 259466032, member: 740652"]
[/QUOTE]

Back then, the tests were only given out to very sick people. The advice was, if you’re sick with a case of the flu, just stay home. Now, it is get a test if you feel like it.

New York was probably getting 50-200k cases per day for a while.

Maybe, you know, there are multiple strains of COVID? But no, this is a totally unique virus that does everything different from everything we know, and the only solution is to stay home forever and avoid human contact.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Yes, and that happens with every communicable disease. If a person has a poor immune system, they are less likely to develop immunity towards a pathogen.

But we’re talking about coronaviruses, and of the known coronaviruses people are infected multiple times regardless of their health.

The problem I had with your post was that you said people were wrong in saying there won’t be immunity. That might be true - and hopefully it will be - but you just can’t be that absolute yet.

You’re making a big, bold claim, with very little science behind it.

Siri

Banned
Maybe, you know, there are multiple strains of COVID? But no, this is a totally unique virus that does everything different from everything we know, and the only solution is to stay home forever and avoid human contact.

The article you linked to shows that people with Covid19 generally develop six different sets of symptoms.

This doesn’t mean there are six different strains of Covid19 - it means that different people have different responses to the same strain.

You’re not going to catch Covid19 six times because there are six strains of Covid19 in circulation.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

Banned
But we’re talking about coronaviruses, and of the known coronaviruses people are infected multiple times regardless of their health.

The problem I had with your post was that you said people were wrong in saying there won’t be immunity. That might be true - and hopefully it will be - but you just can’t be that absolute yet.

You’re making a big, bold claim, with very little science behind it.
A study of 20,000 people is very little science. Fascinating.

sinnergy

If there is no such thing as post disease immunity, then working on a vaccine is basically a complete waste of time, as is any of the social distancing / mask wearing, etc. We might as well just carry on back to pre-COVID19 normal if that is the case, because that means the virus is here to stay and people will contract it regularly just like the common cold. At that point, all that's left is everyone's personal responsibility to take care of themselves and keep themselves out of a risk group.
Yup, better keep this in your mind.

sinnergy

I see some posters don’t post that much anymore.

see what happens: (now doctors have a fun time letting people die) /sarcasm

Good thing you all looked out for each other ! Like I said for months now.

follow the simple rules , waSh your hands, wear a mask when needed, if snotty nose, fever or flu like stay at home and test! And keep away from crowded situations .

And I hope you guys in Texas are save!

Last edited:

Naru

No .. why would I?
Just asking because it is obligatory to wear a mask even outdoors in most of the regions in Spain even if you can keep the 1.5 m distance. This is a bit overkill and borderline insane in my opinion. Beaches are excluded but you need to wear one when you go to and when you come from the beach.

sinnergy

Just asking because it is obligatory to wear a mask even outdoors in most of the regions in Spain even if you can keep the 1.5 m distance. This is a bit overkill and borderline insane in my opinion. Beaches are excluded but you need to wear one when you go to and when you come from the beach.
If it’s a rule from the government, I would comply . But we here in the Netherlands don’t have one yet.
Your country is one of the worst hit, so they have their reasons.

so yeah if that’s a rule , put it on.

Last edited:
Im in Florida.
Several of my coworkers and former coworkers dont even believe covid19 is a thing.

My coworkers wear masks but someone i used to work with quit the day they told her to wear a mask. (Shes a bartender.)

Well, thats why theres 70-80k new infected every day and the death rate is picking back up to the thousands.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So after all these protest tonight what is everyone going to blame the increase of cases on this time ?

I see two headlines on CNN right now.

"Protestors throw explosives at rocks and police in Seattle, authorities say"

and

"Experts urge shutdown as coronavirus deaths climb"

if you're not seeing what they are doing here -letting revolutionary rioters and looters run around and torch property and fight police, while demanding the rest of us stay home indefinitely - i don't know what to tell you at this point. It's all right there, but no, really, it's all because of the mild flu symptoms that covid causes for 99.5%+ of the population.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom