• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member

If61.gif

carlosrox

Banned
They're trying to make us wear masks at work starting today (cuz supposed higher cases oh noes!) and already I see people with the mask down or off entirely. What a fail.

I guess my coworkers from all different races, ages, and beliefs are all FLAT EARTHERS!!!!1

Some of these people even virtual signaled to me before about FAUXVID and they don't have their masks up.

Hmmmmmm. It's almost like everybody deep down knows this a retarded fucking farce that we're all just playing along with.

Where does he say this?
“We have two months and we can’t let this vaccination plan go forward,” Cuomo continued. “The way the Trump administration is designing it because Biden can’t undo it two months later. We’ll be in the midst of it. And I’ve been talking to governors across the nation about that. How can we shape the Trump administration vaccine plan to fix it or stop it before it does damage.”

That is a direct quote. Now you can read that whatever way you want. But “stop it before it does damage” means stop it’s distribution.

“We have two months and we can’t let this vaccination plan go forward,” Cuomo continued. “The way the Trump administration is designing it because Biden can’t undo it two months later. We’ll be in the midst of it. And I’ve been talking to governors across the nation about that. How can we shape the Trump administration vaccine plan to fix it or stop it before it does damage.”

That is a direct quote. Now you can read that whatever way you want. But “stop it before it does damage” means stop it’s distribution.

I guess if we are just going to always go for the least charitable interpretation of what people are saying then sure but it the way it was presented in the tweet did not reflect the intent.

He was talking about how the Trump plan leaves people in "healthcare deserts" high and dry and wants to change the distribution plan because it doesnt help those people. I'm not making a value judgement on his claims but its clear to me that he did not mean that he wants to limit the distribution of the vaccine.

I guess if we are just going to always go for the least charitable interpretation of what people are saying then sure but it the way it was presented in the tweet did not reflect the intent.

He was talking about how the Trump plan leaves people in "healthcare deserts" high and dry and wants to change the distribution plan because it doesnt help those people. I'm not making a value judgement on his claims but its clear to me that he did not mean that he wants to limit the distribution of the vaccine.
I think you’re granting a lot of charity to a guy who has been saying he wouldn’t take a vaccine or trust a vaccine that was released during the Trump administration.

I also think you’re being willfully blind to obvious politicking around a potentially life saving vaccine. This is obviously Cuomo trying to get his piece of the credit for this vaccine, since he had nothing to do with its development. He wants to be able to say he made sure certain people got the vaccine so he can get his media pats on the back he’s gotten so used to, despite being among the worst states in terms of overall response.

Notice he provided no details about what he’s actually upset about other than vague notions of “fairness”. He isn’t even specific about what the problem is, so how could he provide a solution? But it will be enough for the media to praise him for “looking out for the underrepresented”.

Andrew Cuomo is among the slimiest, most ridiculous figures in American politics. The fact New Yorkers see him as some sort of quality politician speaks to their brain dead attitudes about politics. If you present well on TV and the media sucks your dick, who cares if you actually do a good job or not?

sol_bad

I think people in this thread have been reading way too many dystopian novels.
I wish the rest of the world would get their act together and be Covid free like Australia.

Bring in the armed guard I say.
And is it true that Covid tests are not free in America? Fucking insane if it's true.

I think people in this thread have been reading way too many dystopian novels.
I wish the rest of the world would get their act together and be Covid free like Australia.

Bring in the armed guard I say.
And is it true that Covid tests are not free in America? Fucking insane if it's true.
“I think you’ve read too many dystopian novels”

“Threaten to shoot those that break quarantine”

In the same post. Talk about a lack of self awareness. Maybe the problem isn’t that others read too much, but that you don’t read enough.

Joe T.

To quote Mike Rowe again:

This is the same epidemiologist who ten years ago, predicted a coronavirus would come from China and turn our country upside down. In his book “Deadliest Enemies,” he described the utterly irresponsible way in which the media would report on the situation, the completely opportunistic and shamelessly political way our leaders would likely react, and the unprecedented chaos and confusion that would arise from all the mixed messages from the medical community.

He's done nothing to clear up that irresponsible media coverage even though he's been given every opportunity to do so. He is part of the problem.

sol_bad

“I think you’ve read too many dystopian novels”

“Threaten to shoot those that break quarantine”

In the same post. Talk about a lack of self awareness. Maybe the problem isn’t that others read too much, but that you don’t read enough.

Who said anything about shooting anyone?

I think you’re granting a lot of charity to a guy who has been saying he wouldn’t take a vaccine or trust a vaccine that was released during the Trump administration.

I also think you’re being willfully blind to obvious politicking around a potentially life saving vaccine. This is obviously Cuomo trying to get his piece of the credit for this vaccine, since he had nothing to do with its development. He wants to be able to say he made sure certain people got the vaccine so he can get his media pats on the back he’s gotten so used to, despite being among the worst states in terms of overall response.

Notice he provided no details about what he’s actually upset about other than vague notions of “fairness”. He isn’t even specific about what the problem is, so how could he provide a solution? But it will be enough for the media to praise him for “looking out for the underrepresented”.

Andrew Cuomo is among the slimiest, most ridiculous figures in American politics. The fact New Yorkers see him as some sort of quality politician speaks to their brain dead attitudes about politics. If you present well on TV and the media sucks your dick, who cares if you actually do a good job or not?

I was only speaking to the "gotcha" nature of the tweet. As I said before, Cuomo is a douchebag and I am not making any kind of value judgement on what he is claiming. I am not defending Cuomo at all so much as complaining about the way the tweet colored what he said. This is the type of shit that is making everyone crazy. Taking small sound clips and interpreting them in the absolutely worst possible way.

I was only speaking to the "gotcha" nature of the tweet. As I said before, Cuomo is a douchebag and I am not making any kind of value judgement on what he is claiming. I am not defending Cuomo at all so much as complaining about the way the tweet colored what he said. This is the type of shit that is making everyone crazy. Taking small sound clips and interpreting them in the absolutely worst possible way.
I guess. But I see it more as playing games with something we have been told is literally life and death because Cuomo wants to his side to get the credit. So he’s willing to poo poo something that can save lives to get it.

sol_bad

Hahaha. You know that’s how the concentration camps were initially started. They didn’t start killing people until later. Like I said, you should read more, rather than tell others to read less.

America is the country with Covid problem, not Australia. We are already educated enough to understand what sort of crisis the world is in with Covid. Only 1 of our states required lock down because that is where all the stupid people lived. We generally trust our government and pull our shit together in times of need. Lock down in Victoria has been lifted, no sign of government trying to control civilians for conspiracy.

Maybe reading isn't the problem in America. It's the stupid Youtube videos calling Covid a hoax and the stupid people watching and believing them without doing a single iota of research.

America is the country with Covid problem, not Australia. We are already educated enough to understand what sort of crisis the world is in with Covid. Only 1 of our states required lock down because that is where all the stupid people lived. We generally trust our government and pull our shit together in times of need. Lock down in Victoria has been lifted, no sign of government trying to control civilians for conspiracy.

Maybe reading isn't the problem in America. It's the stupid Youtube videos calling Covid a hoax and the stupid people watching and believing them without doing a single iota of research.
We just have a fundamentally different view of government and the level of trust we put in it.

diffusionx

Gold Member

COVID is a hoax, though.

sol_bad

We just have a fundamentally different view of government and the level of trust we put in it.

I'm not sure why you would think the government would even want to control the masses, America is not a third world country. Politicians aren't super villains with evil plans.
They generally want to help the country but obviously make stupid decisions along the way.
These government conspiracy theories have been around since the 60's, 50's, 40's? Yet America generally just keeps improving and things get better for it's residents.

COVID is a hoax, though.

And what has the Australian government and American government achieved with this hoax?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
And what has the Australian government and American government achieved with this hoax?

You should look at what happened on a state level, idiots like Cuomo and Whitmer exerting full control over the lives of people, micromanaging everything, destroying the economy and funneling all the money to Jeff Bezos, basically a full dystopian authoritarian shithole without the cool neon lights or cyborg babe prostitutes

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not sure why you would think the government would even want to control the masses, America is not a third world country. Politicians aren't super villains with evil plans.

Except for, you know, all the people who have been saying all this time we need to use this "crisis" to fundamentally remake society, mostly with them assuming full control and micromanaging everything, you know, similar to how the state governments operated and Trump resisted, but with Trump gone, they're in full control. It's literally a cover story in TIME magazine and includes some of the biggest dipshit globalists.

These government conspiracy theories have been around since the 60's, 50's, 40's? Yet America generally just keeps improving and things get better for it's residents.

Haha right.

sol_bad

You should look at what happened on a state level, idiots like Cuomo and Whitmer exerting full control over the lives of people, micromanaging everything, destroying the economy and funneling all the money to Jeff Bezos, basically a full dystopian authoritarian shithole without the cool neon lights or cyborg babe prostitutes

I did a quick google search on Cuomo and Whitmer funneling money and and them destroying the economy but couldn't find anything.
I did see something about them saying they'll open their state again, I also read that restaurants have to help with contact tracing.

Australian state borders were shut down too and restaurants and cinemas require everyone to sign in to help with contact tracing. I see no issues with this. Like I said, it has obviously helped to get rid of Covid 19 here. Is that honesty what you call a dystopian authoritarian shithole? Temporary measures to help get rid of this thing?

Haha right.

So you'd prefer to live in the 40's? It was a better time for everyone?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I did a quick google search on Cuomo and Whitmer funneling money and and them destroying the economy but couldn't find anything.
I did see something about them saying they'll open their state again, I also read that restaurants have to help with contact tracing.

Australian state borders were shut down too and restaurants and cinemas require everyone to sign in to help with contact tracing. I see no issues with this. Like I said, it has obviously helped to get rid of Covid 19 here. Is that honesty what you call a dystopian authoritarian shithole? Temporary measures to help get rid of this thing?

Get rid of what, though, a virtually harmless influenza-type virus?

I don't want to continue to go over the absolute destruction this guy has caused the state, but it goes far beyond making us sign our name into a book to help with their spying.

Prediction: the vaccine will just become the next political football.

The media will find a way to blame Trump, even though they spent months claiming that Trump was going to sabotage it and get a shitty vaccine out to market just to win reelection.

sol_bad

Get rid of what, though, a virtually harmless influenza-type virus?

I don't want to continue to go over the absolute destruction this guy has caused the state, but it goes far beyond making us sign our name into a book to help with their spying.

If it's harmless, why has America had to dig massive holes to place hundreds of dead bodies?

They generally want to help the country but obviously make stupid decisions along the way.

No leader is a supervillain who is just going around trying to kill or hurt people for no reason. Almost every leader thinks they helping somebody, even when they’re hurting other people. I don’t think anyone is going around actively trying to hurt anybody with their response to all this.

I just don’t really believe in ceding all these decisions and responsibilities to the government this way. I get that there are risks. But those who are terrified and wish to avoid them can. No one is making it illegal to stay home. They’re saying it’s illegal to take the risk upon yourself on the auspices that you will be potentially killing other people in some convoluted transfer of responsibility. There are numerous other contagious viruses in society that kill many, many people. We don’t attempt to blame other sick people for spreading those illnesses when someone dies. It’s actually disgusting, IMO.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If it's harmless, why has America had to dig massive holes to place hundreds of dead bodies?

Who do you think is dying from this? Do you think it's 25 year olds keeling over in the street or something?

I'll clue you in, the average age of COVID death in the USA: 78. Average age of all US deaths: 78.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Who do you think is dying from this? Do you think it's 25 year olds keeling over in the street or something?

I'll clue you in, the average age of COVID death in the USA: 78. Average age of all US deaths: 78.

I know very well that it is the elderly who are primarily dying. What's your point? It's still a deadly virus, it's not harmless.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know very well that it is the elderly who are primarily dying. What's your point? It's still a deadly virus, it's not harmless.

It looks like it is more deadly for old people than the flu, but it's actually significantly less dangerous for younger people. And we don't shut down society for the flu....

My point, as always is that this is a virus that is worth being cautious about, just as with all viruses, but the actions taken have been ludicrous and disproportionate, and are enacting far more harm on our society and our lives than the actual virus itself.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It looks like it is more deadly for old people than the flu, but it's actually significantly less dangerous for younger people. And we don't shut down society for the flu....

My point, as always is that this is a virus that is worth being cautious about, just as with all viruses, but the actions taken have been ludicrous and disproportionate, and are enacting far more harm on our society and our lives than the actual virus itself.

Has the flu caused the USA to dig massive holes to bury hundreds of bodies? One is not like the other.

Australia has taken a hit economy wise but the government is helping many industries where it can and we have an amazing health care system. Country is doing pretty darn well from what I can see. That is 1 area where America needs to improve, health care. No idea if the American government has done so but it should also help these struggling businesses where it can with tax payers money. They should have instantly cut off the billions of dollars going into weaponry and funnel that money into helping get through this pandemic.

There should not have been 238,000 deaths related to Covid19, period, end of story. That should never have happened.
You can do the opposite and pretend this virus is a hoax but that means we need to lock up the elderly for the rest of eternity because if we "ignore" Covid it will stay around forever. How is that fair on the elderly?
We had nursing homes locked down in Australia, no visitations. And there were still instances of the virus entering nursing homes and then over the next week or two, 8-10 elderlies die.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Has the flu caused the USA to dig massive holes to bury hundreds of bodies? One is not like the other.

Australia has taken a hit economy wise but the government is helping many industries where it can and we have an amazing health care system. Country is doing pretty darn well from what I can see. That is 1 area where America needs to improve, health care. No idea if the American government has done so but it should also help these struggling businesses where it can with tax payers money. They should have instantly cut off the billions of dollars going into weaponry and funnel that money into helping get through this pandemic.

There should not have been 238,000 deaths related to Covid19, period, end of story. That should never have happened.
You can do the opposite and pretend this virus is a hoax but that means we need to lock up the elderly for the rest of eternity because if we "ignore" Covid it will stay around forever. How is that fair on the elderly?
We had nursing homes locked down in Australia, no visitations. And there were still instances of the virus entering nursing homes and then over the next week or two, 8-10 elderlies die.

The "massive holes" were in the early days of the pandemic, and could have bene avoided as idiot Cuomo and De Blasio handled this thing horribly. NY still has the worst COVID death rates, probably 50% of those who died here could have been avoided, but here's the story of the "massive holes", it's not nearly as sensationalist as you probably heard.

As for the total COVID deaths, one, the number is pumped up, there is no desire for anyone to separate the "because of" and "with", because the numbers serve a purpose. But even if we assume that there are 238,000 people now dead who would be alive today were it not because of COVID, the US has still handled it in line with many others. For example, Belgium has a much higher mortality rate, but it's a smaller country.

And no, you cannot print you way out of this, when you purposely grind the economy to a halt, and the amount of money the government spends on weapons or whatever is a tiny fraction of the economic loss caused by these disastrous governmental decisions.

In reality, something like 1 out of every 20 "COVID deaths" list COVID as the sole COD, does that mean that the actual COVID death toll is really just 5%, or maybe around 10k, no, but it's also not 238k.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Something that has been bothering me is how there is no media reporting on how the virus affects people on the lower end of the "severity" scale.

We get the horror stories and they are widely shared but we never get anything that's really instructional.

We know that a lot of cases will be asymptomatic but there's very little reporting on percentages. Makes sense I guess as your are less likely to get tested of you have no symptoms.

It must be a sliding scale though. Not like you have only 2 types of infection. "No Symptoms At All" and "Holy Shit You Might Die".

So what % of cases are like "you'll feel a bit tired for a few hours" and how many will be "you'll have flu symptoms but it will be milder than a regular flu" then how many will reach that more serious stage of being like a severe flu or even worse than that?

Just thinking like you could have a solid 80% of people who just have a bad day and get over it and they could be helped even more by advice on diet or supplements etc. Then you'll have like your 2 percenters who will get really fucked up.

Even just info on the signs that you may have a mild case versus the early signs that you are going to have a bad time for a few weeks or even more.

Instead it feels like you have media companies actively seeking out the worst of the worst cases to run a story to scare the public.

For all we know loads of us have had the asymptomatic situation and we never even knew about it.

Imagine living in fear for months and months and then down the line you get an antibody test and their like "yeah you already had it mate but like 50% of cases are asymptomatic so you probably just didn't notice."

iconmaster

Banned
So what % of cases are like "you'll feel a bit tired for a few hours" and how many will be "you'll have flu symptoms but it will be milder than a regular flu" then how many will reach that more serious stage of being like a severe flu or even worse than that?

Just thinking like you could have a solid 80% of people who just have a bad day and get over it and they could be helped even more by advice on diet or supplements etc.

My brother-in-law tested positive for COVID, and he just experienced a day or two of fatigue. Statistically there should be a lot of people like that out there; it’s worth asking why we don’t hear about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom