• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
zero margin said:
I sent a text to my 360 hating PS3 loving fanboy friend about that trailer during the game and I didn't receive a response. :lol

:lol ... sadly it looks like your bud will get the last laugh.

Geoff Keighley said:
“Now the fact that [Mass Effect 2] is only on Xbox 360, a lot of debate now about whether it makes sense for publishers to make those games exclusive to a platform,” Keighley said, “The game will eventually come out for PlayStation 3 but they just can’t talk about it yet.”

be sure to text him this info as well please.

I bought the game on Steam but because I'm in Australia I can't preload it and it'll only unlock on the 29th. I need to look up this proxy business, because I needs me some Mass Effect 2 and fast.

Chrange

Banned
KittonGotWet said:
:lol ... sadly it looks like your bud will get the last laugh.

be sure to text him this info as well please.

Given your post history, is that quote about this game or the first? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hate fanboys. Get the fuck out of this thread. That includes Xbots.

Rapture

Keikoku said:
That's my avatar, junior.

actually if you check the hype thread i took it right after foil posted them, but its not a big deal so rather then argue with you about it and my "junior" status ill just change it.

People in the UK - 4 days before launch, Play.com now have the game in stock for £26.99 with exclusive armour. I just ordered a copy now, we'll see how soon it arrives.

This may have been answered but I haven't ever pre-downloaded a game via Steam. When does it become available for you to play, right at 12:00 am? Also is there a benefit of the PC version over the 360 version?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Chainfire99 said:
Are the pre-order bonuses worth me going to gamestop a day early to pre-order the game?
You can pre-order online for in-store pick-up. It'll net you the codes and save you a trip.

pahamrick

For those of you who are curious to how some of the non-major decisions / side quests are mentioned in ME2, here's a bit of info I gleamed from watching a friend play the last two days.

None of this is story related, but they are spoilers so don't highlight if you really don't want to know.

Sole Survivor Background Referenced
You get a message from Toomes (I hope I spelled that right) at your private terminal if you helped him during the side mission and didn't kill him. He basically calls you out on working for Cerberus now.

Colonist Background Referenced
For those that don't know, if you pick the Colonist background at a point in the first game you're able to help a young girl who was from the same colony. If you helped her, you get a nice letter from her at your private terminal.

Bring Down The Sky Referenced
If you let the Baterian go to save the people, you get a Thank You letter at your Private Terminal from Kate Bowman.

From what I saw, the minor side quests are mostly
referenced by messages at the terminal
. Not all of them, though.
If you let folks live and didn't kill them, expect cameo appearances across the hub worlds.

AstroMan

Banned
As I progress through ME2 for the second time I'm going to go ahead and say that Mass Effect is my favorite RPG series. No RPG has grabbed me the way the Mass Effect games do which I mostly attribute to the Mass Effect universe and it's characters.

Normally I'm not one to call a recent series my favorite anything but Mass Effect is one of those games I can always revisit (Will buy the PC version real soon) and Mass Effect 2 looks to be about the same.

I'm also not one to ask of this, but I hope Mass Effect becomes Bioware's final fantasy. I really wouldn't mind seeing a Mass Effect game every few years.

Oh and I read on Wikipedia that ME3 is planned for 2011. Is that accurate information, or simply speculation by the editor of the Mass Effect (series) Wikipedia page?

Also,
Any way to revisit the Tower where I recruited Thane? I forgot an item that I need for a mission. Oh and what is the difference between loading a ME save with the Citadel Council alive as opposed to dead?

megalowho

Over the weekend I finally plowed through Mass Effect Galaxy and finished up my long standing second playthrough of ME1. Felt good to get a few more achievements after a pretty extended hiatus. Tuesday can't arrive soon enough for me.

Now I have two versions of my Shepard to choose from - a level 47 where I completed most of the character and planetary sidequests, and a level 57 that avoided a lot of the content that was off the beaten path. Not sure what'll be better to have - the starting bonuses or more conversational and situational bits to carry over. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Anyone playing Mass Effect 1 tonight and wants to get in a party or something, hit me up, I should be playing for couple of hours atleast. I'm kinda bored playing by myself :D Most of my friends have work tomorrow :(

Gamertag: ProGamer720

Pachinko

Guys, someone make a decision for me here

What platform should I be playing this on, I have access to both.

Xbox 360 version-
It's got my only completed save on it, a level 40 paragon male shepard that sexored liara, saved the council and elected anderson as the human representative. I also let ashley die because I disliked her and prevented the death of wrex... played nice with conrad verner but I never did all the sidequests. I also have a nice home theatre setup to play it on as well as I suppose gaining xbox 360 achievements (games for windows live seems to be pretty much dead now right? or is ME2 compatible with it ? )

PC version-
I'm currently rushing through as a renegade femshep- I punched the reporter and just completed getting liara so there's no way I'll be done in time for tuesdays release.

The thing is though, I just bought a new pc that runs the first game everything maxed out at 60 fps (it might be higher but I went and pretty much locked the framerate there seeing as my monitor can't go above 60 hz anyway). So it looks nicer , has a better UI and so far is superior to the xbox version in every way... but....

I can't continue my original shepard obviously , unless I just start a save from scratch and use the introduction sequence to make the same major choices.

So where should I be playing this gaf ? I'd honestly considered buying it on 360, then trading it off for the pc version just to give it 1 playthrough with my old save but it just seems like kind of a waste in a way. ... Not to mention another advantage of the pc version is that it's cheaper , 15 dollars less at best buy atleast. (canadian here)

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
AstroMan said:
Oh and I read on Wikipedia that ME3 is planned for 2011. Is that accurate information, or simply speculation by the editor of the Mass Effect (series) Wikipedia page?

It's probably just speculation, although I believe BioWare did say that ME3 can be expected sooner than the time frame between ME1 and ME2.

Ephemeris

"Anyone who fights us is either stupid or on Saren's payroll. Killing the latter is business. Killing the former is a favor to the universe."

Urdnot Wrex: Do your people ever talk about how you unleashed the geth on the universe and then got banished from your own world by them?
Tali'Zorah: Do your people ever talk about how you tried to take over the universe, but were struck with a virus to make you all sterile?
Urdnot Wrex : All the time.

I really did love those elevator convos.

Captain Blood said:
This may have been answered but I haven't ever pre-downloaded a game via Steam. When does it become available for you to play, right at 12:00 am? Also is there a benefit of the PC version over the 360 version?

Depends on:

A. How good is your PC? What video card do you have? Mass Effect is not a Crysis level machine crusher. If you can run other Unreal Engine 3 games, you should be ok. Any Core2 or equivalent with a decent card will do better than the 360

B. Do you mind Keyboard and Mouse controls (as that's all your going to get with PC)?

C. Did you play the first, and what system did you play it on? Even though I have powerful PC, I will be play on the 360 because that's where my saves from ME1 are. I'll buy on PC next year to enjoy the silky 60 FPS.

pahamrick

AstroMan said:
As I progress through ME2 for the second time I'm going to go ahead and say that Mass Effect is my favorite RPG series. No RPG has grabbed me the way the Mass Effect games do which I mostly attribute to the Mass Effect universe and it's characters.

Normally I'm not one to call a recent series my favorite anything but Mass Effect is one of those games I can always revisit (Will buy the PC version real soon) and Mass Effect 2 looks to be about the same.

I'm also not one to ask of this, but I hope Mass Effect becomes Bioware's final fantasy. I really wouldn't mind seeing a Mass Effect game every few years.

Also,
Any way to revisit the Tower where I recruited Thane? I forgot an item that I need for a mission. Oh and what is the difference between loading a ME save with the Citadel Council alive as opposed to dead?

Concerning the difference with the Council being alive

The first time you go to the human embassy you get a small scene where you talk to the Council. They basically say the Reapers aren't real, Sovereign was Geth Technology and that Saren had the Geth and Shepard fooled into believing it. They even go so far as to question Shepard's mental health.

However, as a show of good faith they re-instate Shepard's Spectre status. That's the only time I saw the Council in the game at all, but I didn't get to watch him play all of it.

Kabouter

AgentOtaku said:
How is it?

Is it overall better?

I'd imagine it would be considering the engine tweaks/upgrades.
Mass Effect1 was pretty unoptomized in some parts like The Citadel and such...
I get 50-60fps at 1920x1200 with everything maxed, and my PC is nearing two years old.
E8500/4GB/4870 512MB

pahamrick said:
Bring Down The Sky Referenced
If you let the Baterian go to save the people, you get a Thank You letter at your Private Terminal from Kate Bowman.
Also

I killed the Batarian, and it was mentioned on the news at the Citadel how Kate's father was grieving.

Mutanthands said:
Depends on:

A. How good is your PC? What video card do you have? Mass Effect is not a Crysis level machine crusher. If you can run other Unreal Engine 3 games, you should be ok. Any Core2 or equivalent with a decent card will do better than the 360

B. Do you mind Keyboard and Mouse controls (as that's all your going to get with PC)?

C. Did you play the first, and what system did you play it on? Even though I have powerful PC, I will be play on the 360 because that's where my saves from ME1 are. I'll buy on PC next year to enjoy the silky 60 FPS.
I picked up ME for PC over the Christmas sale and my computer runs it fine. I would like to get it for pc but my problem is that my main save is on the 360 where I first played the game.

Does anyone know if the game unlocks on steam right at 12:01 Tuesday morning or does it usually happen later in the day?

Dark Stalkers said:
How late in the game do I get
Legion
?

It's one of the last missions, he was the last character I recruited and right before the final mission. You can recruit him sooner (though still the last character) if you do that mission before you finish the loyalty missions.

Pachinko said:
Guys, someone make a decision for me here

What platform should I be playing this on, I have access to both.

Xbox 360 version-
It's got my only completed save on it, a level 40 paragon male shepard that sexored liara, saved the council and elected anderson as the human representative. I also let ashley die because I disliked her and prevented the death of wrex... played nice with conrad verner but I never did all the sidequests. I also have a nice home theatre setup to play it on as well as I suppose gaining xbox 360 achievements (games for windows live seems to be pretty much dead now right? or is ME2 compatible with it ? )

PC version-
I'm currently rushing through as a renegade femshep- I punched the reporter and just completed getting liara so there's no way I'll be done in time for tuesdays release.

The thing is though, I just bought a new pc that runs the first game everything maxed out at 60 fps (it might be higher but I went and pretty much locked the framerate there seeing as my monitor can't go above 60 hz anyway). So it looks nicer , has a better UI and so far is superior to the xbox version in every way... but....

I can't continue my original shepard obviously , unless I just start a save from scratch and use the introduction sequence to make the same major choices.

So where should I be playing this gaf ? I'd honestly considered buying it on 360, then trading it off for the pc version just to give it 1 playthrough with my old save but it just seems like kind of a waste in a way. ... Not to mention another advantage of the pc version is that it's cheaper , 15 dollars less at best buy atleast. (canadian here)

For me, the story is the thing. If you aren't a total graphics whore, and can't rush through a PC playthrough with all your decisions as you want them, go 360.

Alternatively, you can download a PC save close to your 360 save from...crap, I can't find the website now. And still go PC and be ready to go Tuesday.

Edit: Someone found it:
http://www.annakie.com/me/home.htm

Great thread, can't wait till Tuesday. Left off my Adept character at level 49 on Mass Effect one, so I picked it back up just to get to 50. Glad to hear that I don't have to be an adept any longer, seems like the classes aren't well balanced to me. Playing as a soldier just seems way better than anything else. Or maybe I just like to shoot shit :D

eek5

foomfoom415 said:
It's one of the last missions, he was the last character I recruited and right before the final mission. You can recruit him sooner (though still the last character) if you do that mission before you finish the loyalty missions.
it's a pity too because
he
is
badass
:lol

StoOgE said:
Yeah, I'm sitting at the end of the game and can no longer access the Normandy.

So I CANT play the DLC without starting over. Which is why I never bought it in the first place.

I know I can do the new game + thing, but it kind of takes me out of the whole role playing thing to replay the game with the same character.
i did the game+ thing just to play bring down the sky....im surprised at how small it actually was. besides getting the colossus armor it was kinda disappointing. and i stopped playing after that. was going to get my character to lvl 60, but I've gone through the game already and made my choices so I'll live with them :lol

I can't believe were this close to getting ME2. The first game has easily been the best RPJ experience I have experienced this gen. I am trying to avoid this thread because of potential spoilers but its getting more and more difficult.

Sorry if this was mentioned but there was like like a 1:30 trailer during the NFL Playoff game today. Pretty EPIC. Got a lot of attention from the people I was with. They thought it was Avatar :lol .

Shrennin

TheLegendary said:
Sorry if this was mentioned but there was like like a 1:30 trailer during the NFL Playoff game today. Pretty EPIC. Got a lot of attention from the people I was with. They thought it was Avatar :lol .

Apparently that's not too far off according to Time.com:

Time.com said:
The state of the art in grand-scale, two-disc space operas, Mass Effect 2 picks up two years after the end of the first installment of its galactic-noir story line. With beefier combat added to the role-playing, it's the Avatar of video games — except it's better written.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1952673_1956096_1956114,00.html

I'm still calling hyperbole, although we shall see.

Rhino

This comic reflects my own feelings about our new Krogan friend.

WDO5M.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its not hard for something to be better written than Avatar.

Most grocery lists are written better than Avatar.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Noooo! Almost had a store sell me this today, but someone else in the store stopped him right before the order went through. Would've been the first time I actually got a game early. =(

Shrennin

DY_nasty said:
Its not hard for something to be better written than Avatar.

Most grocery lists are written better than Avatar.

I was referring to the fact that they called it the "Avatar of video games."

The better written remark was funny, but definitely not unbelievable.

ME2 is likely going to end up becoming my favorite video game of all time if it did in fact fix everything from the first ME, although I don't see it having as much influence in the video game industry as Avatar would have in the movie industry. Even still, it would be awesome if it happened.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Andronicus said:
i did the game+ thing just to play bring down the sky....im surprised at how small it actually was. besides getting the colossus armor it was kinda disappointing. and i stopped playing after that. was going to get my character to lvl 60, but I've gone through
the game already and made my choices so I'll live with them :lol

Which is why I won't replay the game.

It's a role playing game. It seems completely idiotic that I should have to replay the game and completely smash the 4th wall to play the DLC.

I mean, I get that it is just a game.. but for a series that pushes the story and character development as it's crux it seems pretty stupid that it just tosses all of that aside when it comes to DLC.

How hard would it have been to select the DLC missions from the start menu and give me some stupid little set up about how it's something you did after you left the citadel at the end of ME1?

I just had 4 "casual" (non hardcore gamer) friends hit me up asking me about Mass Effect 2 due to that commercial and they said it looked awesome. Damn, EA may have a big hit on their hands.

Too bad their prior ME2 ads blew chunks.

StoOgE

ME1 is one of my favorite games of all time already. Probably my favorite RPG.. though I go back and forth with Morrowind and Crono trigger.

The last 2 hours of the first game was so unbelievably epic... really good character development throughout the game. My decisions felt like they had a real impact on the story. The fact that I'm going to get to play a sequel that is shaped by the decisions I made in the first game blows my mind.

It's like shit Lionhead promises but never managed to deliver.

If the sequel is as good as the first one it will be vaulted to the top of my favorite RPG lists... the wait for ME3 is going to be much harder than ME2 though since I expect this one to leave us hanging in a much worse situation than the end of the first game. Nothing to base that on other than the fact that the 2nd part of a trilogy typically has to leave you in a bit of a pickle to be solved in the 3rd act.

Andronicus said:
you need ammo now in ME2 for all weapons?

Its not ammo, it's cool-down charges or something, but yeah it basically amounts to the same thing. Of all the changes made from ME1, this was really the only one that stuck out as negative in my opinion. Fortunately on normal difficulty it doesn't become too much of hindrance as I can only recall a few occasions where I actually ran out of 'ammo'. And even then I just switched to a different gun for 30 seconds until I found more.

After the completely logical (in terms of the game universe) explanation about why guns never ran out of ammo in ME1, it seems really dumb to go back on that. Especially when it doesn't really add anything game-play wise, and in fact, only serves to take you out of the world as the 'ammo' pops up in places it absolutely shouldn't (and actually spawns right in front of you in some of the arena battles).

Just a really poor decision that really doesn't take too much away from the game, but stands out because the rest of the package is so utterly stellar.

StoOgE

polyh3dron said:
I just had 4 "casual" (non hardcore gamer) friends hit me up asking me about Mass Effect 2 due to that commercial and they said it looked awesome. Damn, EA may have a big hit on their hands.

Too bad their prior ME2 ads blew chunks.

A few of my friends asked me what Mass Effect was during the commercial as well. The ad was extremely effective. Avatar and Star Trek both dropping this year and being smash hits is really going to help EA market this thing.

Though I wonder how much people will get out of the story if they didn't play the first.

I'm sure they will put some hooks in to allow new players to get into the story.. I just doubt it will have the same impact on them. Cameos by past crew members, etc.

Shrennin

StoOgE said:
Though I wonder how much people will get out of the story if they didn't play the first.

How many people do you think will buy the first one to get a more optimal experience in the second? The import feature could go three different ways: It could hurt new people to the ME series if they never played the first which could turn people away from the second, people may be confused but still play the awesomeness that is ME2, or they could purchase ME1 out of curiosity to see how ME2 came to be.

It could be an ingenious move if marketed well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom