• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
yurgh, i hate the standard breathing helmet, is there a better one? the problem is, I don't want it equipped normally, just on missions where helmets are required.

btw, thane's breathing mask is awesome

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
My Name Is Luke said:
So my game froze on me while I was about to start
Tali's loyalty quest
and when I restarted:
I was Joker and some random geth thing was attacking the Normandy.
Can someone give me some context towards that scene?

Were you about to go into the quest or were you about to navigate to it?

That freeze sort of happened for me too, except I wasn't starting a mission, just going into the Galaxy Map. The normal cutscene happened and then froze. When I reloaded my game, I was where you were. I was furious and reloaded an older save. Seems it has a tendency to freeze there.

Dresden

I don't think this has been posted before:

12virtual_01.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
:lol :lol ^
LordPhoque said:
No, that would be Legion. Or maybe Thane. Oh wait no, Samara ! God, the entire cast of ME2 is great. Except from Jacob aka the new Kaidan :lol
Jacob was much better than Kaiden. Come on :p

Mayyhem

I can't believe I fucked up on the justicars loyalty mission...

Her daughter left after I talked to her and I wasn't able to follow her to her apartment, so the justicar girl said it didn't matter and the mission finished.

For some reason I totally forgot about the achievement unlocking and kept playing the game. No going back now :(

I'm curious though, I'm about to do the suicide mission and I'm wondering if the justicar girl will die because she's not loyal? because I want to get the squad survival achievement on the first play-through

Dead

well not really...yet
Stallion Free said:
I hated Jacob. He was such a fucking bore. I completely lost interest in having my Femshep pursue him and wisely switched to
Garrus.
I don't disagree.

Still better than Kaiden though. Kaiden may as well have been a generic grunt to pad out the party.

Cep

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Jacob made Kaiden look like an interesting and dynamic character.

I like Jacob, but impossibly enough, he was much worse than Kaiden.

Miranda as well.

Like the writers wrote them for ME1 and cut them and moved them over to ME2.

A couple of my favorite Kaidenisms.

"Too many lights. Too much noise."

"Big place!"

"I think I got snow in my boots!"

I'm pretty sure Kaiden was supposed to be mildly retarded as a result of his L2 implants. Every time he said something I pictured him drooling while saying it. Jacob may not be the strongest character, but come on, comparing him to Kaidan "The Rainman" Alenko?

Dresden

I think all the human characters are pretty bad, actually. Even Jack. Zaeed had potential, but you can't even talk to the guy, just listen in on his ramblings.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dresden said:
I think all the human characters are pretty bad, actually. Even Jack. Zaeed had potential, but you can't even talk to the guy, just listen in on his ramblings.
yeah Jack was awful.

Miranda was much better than Ashley, not that that would be hard to do, and yeah I was kind of peeved that Zaeed didn't have any real dialogue when he is on the ship. Definitely wasn't Shale in terms of DLC character content.

alien cast >>> human one, without a doubt.

Arde5643

I <3 Memes said:
A couple of my favorite Kaidenisms.

"Too many lights. Too much noise."

"Big place!"

"I think I got snow in my boots!"

I'm pretty sure Kaiden was supposed to be mildly retarded as a result of his L2 implants. Every time he said something I pictured him drooling while saying it. Jacob may not be the strongest character, but come on, comparing him to Kaidan "The Rainman" Alenko?
Still not comparable to Ashley "we're all animals" Williams though.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:

I agree completely.

Zaeed would have made a more interesting character than any of them. Shame that he was not made to be a full character (still like him more than the others. I HATE Miranda).

SuperBonk

Mayyhem said:
I can't believe I fucked up on the justicars loyalty mission...

Her daughter left after I talked to her and I wasn't able to follow her to her apartment, so the justicar girl said it didn't matter and the mission finished.

For some reason I totally forgot about the achievement unlocking and kept playing the game. No going back now :(

I'm curious though, I'm about to do the suicide mission and I'm wondering if the justicar girl will die because she's not loyal? because I want to get the squad survival achievement on the first play-through
This might be a little tricky for you. Samara is the best choice to put up the biotic barrier. If she's not loyal, there's a good chance she won't be able to hold it and will end up dead. However, you can also use a loyal Jack to put up the barrier. Jack's effectiveness with the barrier may or may not depend on whether or not you upgraded her biotic abilities so I would upgrade just in case. Even then, I believe it's still possible for Samara to die and there's not much you can do to change the outcome other than getting lucky.

In any case, I would recommend just playing the game again and actually completing Samara's loyalty mission. It's definitely worth it (both the mission and replaying the entire game again).

Dresden said:
He's a kid, I don't see the problem with that. I loved his sense of 'humor' ("you just go do your human thing, Shepard.") and the way he becomes devoted to you is pretty heartfelt. I mean, he basically acknowledges you as the baddest motherfucker in the galaxy ("Shepard has no equal. He is my battlemaster.") and follows you, unquestioning. Morals? As he says, he doesn't care about any of that, he acknowledges how 'simple' his rage is and asks you to channel that aggression into something that matters.

I don't know, I thought he was deeper than what most give him credit for. It's like one of his earlier dialogues where he says that those who died to perfect him were stronger than him, because they died in search of strength whereas he came by it unwillingly, was bred for it with no work on his part at all. He doesn't really have an origin and Shepard becomes that parent-figure for him.

You fucking complete me. Grunt is much deeper than people realize. That was an exceptional understanding there Dresden. I respected Grunt more and more after we took down that
thresher maw
together. I never felt so proud in a videogame moment like that before. And the way he completely submits his self to you after he joins Urdnot. It was satisfying to say the least.

Also ashley is a bitch. She couldn't even stay with me to fight the collectors because of me working for cerberus? Fuck her..thats why Tali is my hotness. Damn bitch...

Tobor

dralla said:
damn glitch. grunt is loyal but he won't learn fortification, says he isn't loyal. i hope this doesn't affect the last mission :[

This glitch just happened to me as well. And the thread about it on the Bioware forums goes all the way back to launch. Where's the patch????

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just finished playing Normal with Infiltrator. I think I want to replay the game in Insanity as a Soldier... Any other classes aside from Infiltrator and Soldier does not interest me much.

Any recommended build + suggested extra power for an Insanity soldier would be appreciated :)

A question: I do not exactly understand the mechanic of Warp Ammo. For what type of protection it fares the best against? What is the damage calculation for this? Any answer for this would also be appreciated.

Also, is it impossible to pursue 'just friend' approach with a LI if you want to learn his/her complete backstory? I personally think it's lame that you must allude that you are interested romantically to a LI if you want to to know their entire background tales. As strange as this might seem--it's just a videogame after all--I am very uncomfortable making my Shepard pursue another LI when he is already committed to one (I am strange that way :lol )

Kinda wish they would opt to use relationship system like Persona 4 where you can continue cultivating relationship with a LI as just friends.

Anyways, any answer to my questions above would be very appreciated. Thanks, GAF.

I'm about 10 hours in, working my way through all the
personal quests, still haven't recruited the last 3 people though.
I'm absolutely loving the game, it has improved on the first in every way. In the first I was bored by or disliked half the main cast, the new characters are all a massive improvement. Jacob being the only exception, could he be anymore boring and one note? I love Miranda but I may be blinded by bias (her acccent is awesomesauce).
I happily dumped Ashley.
Garrus and Tali
continue to be my favourite characters in the universe though.

Dresden said:
I don't think this has been posted before:

12virtual_01.jpg
:lol :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dresden said:

I like Zaeed, but almost because you cant speak to him. He's a dick. English accent, mauled face, and a fucked up personality. Some of his commentary on some of the worlds is great, his loyalty mission was good, and his respect for Hanar is apprecaited :p.

I agree with the Jacob-dislike.

I have never liked that character in the Bioware games. I didn't like Jacob, I didn't like Kaidan, I didn't like Carth, etc. He's instantly recognizable to me and I immediately get rid of him from my party.

Best characters are Mordin and Legion. I thought Thane was going to be awesome but then he got all weepy all the time. Garrus is a lot better in this game than he was in ME1. So is Tali.

I also liked Zaeed but it's clear they didn't put as much effort into him since he's a "side" character. Would've loved to see more stuff with him.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The big problem with BioWare's human characters is they write their backstorys and depth disassociated from their actual character.

Miranda and Jacob are a couple of Cerberus operatives. Thats it. Their loyalty quests and stories involve mostly other people and their problems, with them along the ride to show their emotion. Without their loyalty quests, and even with, they dont have much going on.

All the other characters do. They have issues directly related to themselves (usually personal conflict), have stories that are tied to who they are, and are given interesting personalities and stories to share.

Simple example; Miranda and Jacob's loyalty missions compared to Tali.
Tali has us confronting her father, and eventually her exile. It is all about Tali. Her emotions, the way people treat her, and the consiquences of your decisions directly effect her. Miranda and Jacob's are about people they know or are associated with, but the plots themselves dont really involve them. They're fun, but Jacob is only there because the game forces you to take him. Similar for Miranda. Tali's wouldnt work without her present. Same goes for Garrus.

Arde5643

I didn't care much for Miranda's loyalty mission, but Jacob's loyalty mission was great though.

Especially at how Jacob carried himself through the whole thing with the decisions you do (the neutral and renegade choices seem to be the better/more believable ones).

Arjen

EatChildren said:
The big problem with BioWare's human characters is they write their backstorys and depth disassociated from their actual character.

Miranda and Jacob are a couple of Cerberus operatives. Thats it. Their loyalty quests and stories involve mostly other people and their problems, with them along the ride to show their emotion. Without their loyalty quests, and even with, they dont have much going on.

All the other characters do. They have issues directly related to themselves (usually personal conflict), have stories that are tied to who they are, and are given interesting personalities and stories to share.

Simple example; Miranda and Jacob's loyalty missions compared to Tali.
Tali has us confronting her father, and eventually her exile. It is all about Tali. Her emotions, the way people treat her, and the consiquences of your decisions directly effect her. Miranda and Jacob's are about people they know or are associated with, but the plots themselves dont really involve them. They're fun, but Jacob is only there because the game forces you to take him. Similar for Miranda. Tali's wouldnt work without her present. Same goes for Garrus.

I agree in some part, but Miranda's loyalty mission
does have a lot to do with herself. Decisions she made in the past, people she trusts etc. Jacob has nothing to do with his father, it being his father is the only link to the quest. I actually thought it was a pretty great moment when you convinced Miranda to go talk to her sister.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Arjen said:
I agree in some part, but Miranda's loyalty mission
does have a lot to do with herself. Decisions she made in the past, people she trusts etc. Jacob has nothing to do with his father, it being his father is the only link to the quest. I actually thought it was a pretty great moment when you convinced Miranda to go talk to her sister.

The really interesting way to have ended Miranda's loyalty mission is if it turned out that
her sister is as evil as their father, or has the potential to be as evil anyway

Yeah, it's just as cliche, but at least you'd be able to do something interesting with it. As it stands, it's a weaker version of the similar Alistair quest from Dragon Age.

Just got to the part where Tali
gives you the ultimatum. I went up and told Maranda it's over (no plans to save. I just wanted to see what would happen) and Tali just messed me up a little. After I told her "I only want to be with you (yeah right bitch my auto save is disabled!)", the emotional piano music starts playing and she says " I've watched you for so long. I never would have imagined you could see past...this", as she points to her mask.

Touching. Now I'm rethinking that save.

derFeef

timetokill said:
I also liked Zaeed but it's clear they didn't put as much effort into him since he's a "side" character. Would've loved to see more stuff with him.

Zaeed owns. I want more of this guy - awesome character for just a DLC.

Arjen

firehawk12 said:
The really interesting way to have ended Miranda's loyalty mission is if it turned out that
her sister is as evil as their father, or has the potential to be as evil anyway

Yeah, it's just as cliche, but at least you'd be able to do something interesting with it. As it stands, it's a weaker version of the similar Alistair quest from Dragon Age.

Well i still have to play Dragon Age, so it was kinda new to me. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Arjen said:
Well i still have to play Dragon Age, so it was kinda new to me. :lol

Well, the DA thing isn't handled much better... it can just lead to interesting consequences for the character. I do like that there's no shootyshooty in the DA sidequests. When someone in your party says they want to meet someone... you just go and meet them. :lol

pringles

I'm kinda fucked.

I'm on insanity, as an adept, and I landed on that planet where you have to destroy 3 Heavy Mechs before they destroy all the crates. I'm early on in my NG+ so I don't have many upgrades. Saying I'm getting my ass kicked is an understatement. Been able to kill one of them at most.
Have no idea how I'm going to destroy them all. Is there some cheap way of doing it?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I picked this up for PC Saturday night. Absolutely brilliant in pretty much every area!! I am running it on an i5 750, GTX260, with 4GB RAM on a 23" Syncmaster 1080P monitor at 1920X1080 with everything maxed out and it is running flawlessly (with the exception of some pretty laughable clipping issues during cut scenes, AA issues, and one instance of an enemy getting melded into a wall during the Archangel mission). I just finished Mass Effect for the first time Saturday night and was blown away. ME2's opening sequences and the realization of just how much my decisions from ME1 were going to affect the story of ME2 just gloriously extended that joy to new heights. Bravo, Bioware! Bravo!!

pmj

I can't believe the hate Jacob is getting. He may not have a whole lot going on, something which he says himself, but at least he doesn't constantly whine about his past like certain other BioWare characters he's being compared to. Yeah, there was the thing with his loyalty mission, but he dealt with that quickly, without whining, and then wouldn't talk much about it even if you asked him about it. Also, I like the romance dialogue so far, but haven't seen it quite to the end.

pringles said:
I'm kinda fucked.

I'm on insanity, as an adept, and I landed on that planet where you have to destroy 3 Heavy Mechs before they destroy all the crates. I'm early on in my NG+ so I don't have many upgrades. Saying I'm getting my ass kicked is an understatement. Been able to kill one of them at most.
Have no idea how I'm going to destroy them all. Is there some cheap way of doing it?
I suggest you leave that mission for last. Those mechs are a bitch even when you don't have a time limit to worry about.

OMG Aero

So what's the general consensus on the best class to tackle Insanity with?
Also is it best to do Insanity on a new game + or as a new character.
I'd like to try Insanity as a femshep since my main character is male, but not if it's going to make the game super hard.

pringles said:
I'm kinda fucked.

If you sneak up to the first corner that you start at, you can hit the first mech's arm and it will start walking towards you without activating the mission. You can use this for getting the most resources you can from the mission but you can also use it to kill one mech at a time instead of fighting all three.

Arjen

pringles said:
I'm kinda fucked.

Bring some squad members with you who can get rid of the shields and armor quikly is the only thing that comes to mind.

pringles said:
I'm kinda fucked.

That was actually one of the first missions I completed on insanity too, I was a soldier though will fully upgraded warp ammo (new game plus) and the heavy assault rifle, I just took down one at a time, I made sure only to attack one, then go after another.

I also now have full GS in the game, but I need a break, 3 playthroughs in 2 weeks can make you exhausted.

pringles

pmj said:
I suggest you leave that mission for last. Those mechs are a bitch even when you don't have a time limit to worry about.
Yeah I really should have, but now I landed and saved :/

Arjen said:
Bring some squad members with you who can get rid of the shields and armor quikly is the only thing that comes to mind.
I'm trying it with Miranda and Mordin, with their fully upgraded Overload and Incineration techs. It works okay until they start dying on me and my medgel runs out.

OMG Aero said:
If you sneak up to the first corner that you start at, you can hit the first mech's arm and it will start walking towards you without activating the mission. You can use this for getting the most resources you can from the mission but you can also use it to kill one mech at a time instead of fighting all three.
Aha, thanks I'll definitely try that. As long as only one of the mechs attacks at once it's not impossible, so that sounds good.

edit: phew, got through it. luring them back one and one to the shuttle and strafing around it while chipping away at them with every bit of ammo I had worked :lol

pmj

pringles said:
Yeah I really should have, but now I landed and saved :/
I see you made it through, but from now on, remember to save on the ship before you start any mission as you can easily get stuck somewhere on Insanity if you, for instance, happen to have the wrong party.

Does this game remind anyone else of Stargate? It sure does give a fimilarity with that show. I mean think about it.

1. 3 person exploration crew.
2. Mass Relays being stargates.
3. You are exploring worlds and resolving situations across the galaxy as a galactic peacekeeper.

It ties in very well to stargate SG-1. I think maybe it's why I love the pemise and this universe so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom