• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arde5643

Dina said:
Just played through half of the loyalty missions and some random optional quests. Shit is still awesome, even more so since my Infiltrator Shepard just gets stronger and stronger. ME2 is a very, very strong GOTY contender. Loving this game to bits.
It's also still surprisingly good on the 2nd or 3rd playthrough.

yeah, I need help.

Cep

Banned
Dan Yo said:
Realistic expectations. Someone below you quipped that it isn't going to win an award. Well no shit.

Never expected anything but crap.

Got crap.

My expectations were plenty realistic.

GhostRidah said:
I was to late for the video myself :(

Here is another link to the character selection screen along with some lines of dialog. The voice actor is terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNumDS_jHb0

isamu said:
That's a little vague though isn't it? I mean, just because I'd like to be talked into doesn't necessarily mean I don't want it. Perhaps I *do* want it but just need the little extra push.

You could check out some gameplay footage online or I could hop in the game now and make a nice run through with my Adept class character.

Subitai

isamu said:
Sup guys.

So umm, maybe you can sell me on this game. I'm tempted to buy it but I don't have any particular interest in "Outerspace Star Trek" type games. The last sci-fi-ish game I played was Phantasy Star Online and was bored to tears with only an hour of play time. Is this game all that is cracked up to be? Is it more shooter or more slow moving rpg style? I heard the first one was kinda boring so I dunno.

If I like Gears 1 and 2 will I like ME2? I fucking LOVE Gears!
I'm most people hear will agree you'll love this game. Although the combat is more rpgish, I'd also recommend ME1 because it enriches the story and characters, but it's not required.

isamu said:
Sup guys.

So umm, maybe you can sell me on this game. I'm tempted to buy it but I don't have any particular interest in "Outerspace Star Trek" type games. The last sci-fi-ish game I played was Phantasy Star Online and was bored to tears with only an hour of play time. Is this game all that is cracked up to be? Is it more shooter or more slow moving rpg style? I heard the first one was kinda boring so I dunno.

Here. this is a short clip of gameplay with an adept class character that someone posted. Adept is probably the most varied class between biotic and gun combat. There is also the sentinel class which is a good 3 way mix between guns, biotics, and tech skills.

Adept
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m89wjH982U

Sentinel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pWna99JlZw

rhino4evr

isamu said:
Sup guys.

It's a shooter with rpg elements. There is still a lot of talking/conversation trees for most shooting fans. Also the shooting is not quite up to par with gears, but still fun and varied if you play as a specic class

if you like a game with a great story/characters then you will enjoy it. It's definitely a shooter/rpg hybrid that doesn't do either genre better. It's sum are greater then it's parts

rhino4evr

Question: is the last team member optional? I have no missions currenty besides loyalty quests and the main quest

I have been doing some side quests...is that how you find him/it?

Ps I'm not talking about dlc

Mayyhem

I have a question. Let's say I do the suicide mission which I'm about to do, am I able to play with the same save after the game finishes and am I able to get achievements like the fully upgraded weapon or 5 heavy weapons ones (which are in progress)?

vhfive

rhino4evr said:
Question: is the last team member optional? I have no missions currenty besides loyalty quests and the main quest

you will get him/it during one of the main story quests

Vorg

Banned
Just finished the game. Took me about 44 hours with all sidequests done. Played as a Vanguard. What an awesome game. I hope it comes out on the ps3 so that more people get to experience it.

Just finished the game, what a fucking incredible game. The last mission was incredibly epic. 57 hours and I have some N7 missions left.
Just some questions:
Ive fucked Tali before the Omega 4 relay mission so supposedly i have her as my lover. The other two options were still open (Miranda and Jack). So Im continuing my save to hear what my crew had to tell me about the last mission. I read in here IIRC that you can call your lover form your private pc in your room to talk with her and cuddle, so I go to the pc and there is no option to do it, they only thing hat changed is that the photo form my Mass Effect 1 lover is turned down, but the other photo near the bed doesnt have anyting in it (I thought that in that one you will have the face of your new lover). So I thought this was becuase i let the other two options open, so I go to Miranda and said to her bye, and its closed, and then I go to Jack, I say im interested in Tali, but if I talk with her again she aks again if I want to dump Tali for her, leaving the Jack option still open.
What I am doing wrong, is the
Jack
option always open or its a bug? Can I call
Tali
to my room as I read here, or that is not the case?
Help me, GAF.

rhino4evr said:

Its not optional.
Its in one of the missions that moves the story, but be sure to do all important missions but one or two before going to that mission because then an invisible timer (not by time but by missions) goes and you will be forced to the ending
EDIT: beaten like Saren.

Jhoan

rhino4evr said:

The Derelict Reaper ship level; its story related so you can't miss it. He's there. I will not say anymore other than that you get him toward the end of that level.

I've been loving every moment of this game. It surpases ME1 in every way. I mean the combat is no Gears of War but it holds its own. Hell I even love the hacking mini games. The only annoying part is scanning for minerals but that's not too bad. I don't mind it that much. What's
the Citadel like if you let the Council die? Is it the same, or different?
I'm playing as a Renegade Shepard, Infiltrator and I feel guilty/bad about some of the decisions I made
letting Mordin kill his assistant, not giving Tali's pop's message to the judges, letting the Volus get killed in Samara's recruiting mission. I made a lot of F'ed up decisions. Plus I'm romancing Tali and Miranda and now I gotta choose one or the other. Hell it even seems that Bioware took a page from the Fable games because my Shep has red eyes and a ton of facial scars which is slightly annoying but cool. Also, the Nuclear bomb gun is crazy awesome.
I love Mordin;he's awesome and possibly my favorite character next to Thane (although he is a tad bit too emo) and Tali. Mordin's hilarious. This game is more unintentionally and intentionally funnier; I can go on and on about this game and the choices.

OMG Aero

So does anyone know if turning down sex with your love interest in ME1 before Illos still counts them as a love interest in ME2 by putting their picture on your desk?

I want my final ME2 play through to have me having no love interest in ME1 so I don't get any punishment for cheating, but no matter what I say to Liara in my ME1 saves she still comes into my cabin before Illos.

OMG Aero said:
So does anyone know if turning down sex with your love interest in ME1 before Illos still counts them as a love interest in ME2 by putting their picture on your desk?

I want my final ME2 play through to have me having no love interest in ME1 so I don't get any punishment for cheating, but no matter what I say to Liara in my ME1 saves she still comes into my cabin before Illos.

Whatever you do don't romnce ashley. That fucking bitch ditches you in ME2. I wanted to donkey punch her ass when she wouldn't join me. She better not try to get back with me in ME3. Made the right choice in Tali anyway. She can go suck it.

rhino4evr

John Harker said:
Just nailed Kelly. Finally, I feel complete now. I can continue with the story.
Miranda keeps telling me she is going to come get me when things get quiet. Shit is pretty quiet right now! Let's go! What a cock tease

Revelations said:
Whatever you do don't romnce ashley. That fucking bitch ditches you in ME2. I wanted to donkey punch her ass when she wouldn't join me. She better not try to get back with me in ME3. Made the right choice in Tali anyway. She can go suck it.

I romanced Tali because I wanted to see what she looked like (not that I dont think shes awesome, she is), kind of annoyed they cut away from it. It makes me wanna go back and romance Miranda like I had originally started too. I dont like her as much as Tali but holy fucking shit she was badarse in the final confrontation.

Also, Ashley's been a bitch since day one, was so glad I dumped her arse.

Miranda>>>>Ashley.

The Storyteller said:
I romanced Tali because I wanted to see what she looked like (not that I dont think shes awesome, she is), kind of annoyed they cut away from it. It makes me wanna go back and romance Miranda like I had originally started too. I dont like her as much as Tali but holy fucking shit she was badarse in the final confrontation.

Also, Ashley's been a bitch since day one, was so glad I dumped her arse.

Miranda>>>>Ashley.

Well, she has an "official" face, only that they prefered to leave it misterious going the Inspector Gadget route so people can think whatever they want.
They've chicken because people in the internet will bitch (as always) becuase she has a very human appearence.
Take this image as you like, its official ME1 concept art, with the final Tali design, and with her face also designed (probably when they wanted to use her as a romance option in 1 an ditched her at the end because of the chicken feet). For me, thats how she is down the mask, I like a lot that face, very sexy.
10395ki.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Could a knife even damage a kinetic barrier? Would be pretty interesting to see Tali pull that thing out in ME3.

Patryn

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Its not optional.
Its in one of the missions that moves the story, but be sure to do all important missions but one or two before going to that mission because then an invisible timer (not by time but by missions) goes and you will be forced to the ending

The final party member is very much optional, even though the game does it best to force you to get him.

The amount of people who missed him for various reasons is a testament to that fact.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
is the game going slow motion and the voice getting wobbly whenever I look down the scope of a sniper rifle suppose to happen? no where does it says the sniper rifles cause slow motion. i don't always remember it happening, prolly started around the time i got the Viper. It's kind of annoying.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
John Harker said:
is the game going slow motion and the voice getting wobbly whenever I look down the scope of a sniper rifle suppose to happen? no where does it says the sniper rifles cause slow motion. i don't always remember it happening, prolly started around the time i got the Viper. It's kind of annoying.
You an infiltrator?

They get sniper slowdown, and it increases each time you level your class skill (not cloak, the one where your own stats are boosted).

and shut your dirty whore mouth, sniper slowdown owns etc

John Harker said:
It's called sniper time or something, it's when you level up your Infiltrator stat.

clashfan

Why can't I unlock Grunt's special power? I finished his side quest and it says he loyal but when I try to add points to his special power it says he's not loyal?

mujun

Dan Yo said:
Exactly. They were good books comparable to anything else you'd find in the fiction and/or sci fi section. Some apparently will shit on anything that isn't going down in history as a literary masterpiece.

The books are entertaining, people should read them if they like the game, and that's really all that needs to be said about them.

I read the second book, sorry it is nothing near as good as the best sci fi stuff. Opinion is one thing but crap writing is crap writing.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
DY_nasty said:
You an infiltrator?

They get sniper slowdown, and it increases each time you level your class skill (not cloak, the one where your own stats are boosted).

and shut your dirty whore mouth, sniper slowdown owns etc

yea yea. didnt realize it. thought i was glitching. its useful, I suppose, it was just unexpected.

Um, it automatically made me go on this "broken down ship." i havent recruited everyone or done all the loyalty missions/side quests yet. im not screwed now with being forced to beat it, am i?

DY_nasty

John Harker said:
yea yea. didnt realize it. thought i was glitching. its useful, I suppose, it was just unexpected.

Um, it automatically made me go on this "broken down ship." i havent recruited everyone or done all the loyalty missions/side quests yet. im not screwed now with being forced to beat it, am i?
Sniper slowdown = headshots all de time

You're okay.

Dresden

John Harker said:

Just finish the broken down ship. After it, you'll have all the time in the world to finish the quests, so long as you don't go onto the obligatory quest area after the ship.

Zeliard

DY_nasty said:
Sniper slowdown = headshots all de time

You're okay.

That slowdown mechanic must make the game so easy. Sniper rifle is dominant even without the slowdown. With a mouse you can destroy fools with ease, and it fires quickly as hell.

Dresden

Zeliard said:
That slowdown mechanic must make the game so easy. Sniper rifle is dominant even without the slowdown. With a mouse you can destroy fools with ease, and it fires quickly as hell.
There's a reason why it's called the easiest class in the game. Widow=RE4 handcannon. With a scope. And slowdown.

DY_nasty

It damn near breaks the game.

Especially when you get it up to 2 seconds and realize that your shots penetrate - letting you sit back and knock off 3 guys with one shot.

Miranda's Slam + Snipers, ha

Arde5643

The widow's base damage is 368. The grenade launcher's base damage is 400.

Assassin cloak adds 75% damage to a shot from your weapon while cloaking.
Assassin expertise (passive) grants you another 15% damage to assassin cloak and 15% damage to the base weapon itself - meaning you get 30% damage when using cloak.
Plus the 50% universal headshot bonus and the 50% universal sniper damage bonus and don't forget the 10% headshot bonus from visor, you get another 110% damage bonus when sniping headshots.

And last but not least, don't forget with tungsten ammo, you get 75% against health and armor.

In other words, at the end game, when the infiltrator cloaks and snipes a headshot with the widow he can get 1100+ to 1300 (against armored enemies) damage per shot.

That is why the infiltrator never uses heavy weapons (well, save for Cain with its 10000 damage).

Coxswain

It's too bad Infiltrators are pretty much beaten at their own game by Soldiers. Apart from the defensive abilities of Tactical Cloak, a Soldier using Heightened Adrenaline Rush gets twice the damage bonus that Assassination Cloak does, plus it doesn't auto-cancel after the first shot, or reset your health/shield regeneration.

Infiltrator is probably more fun, though, if only because there are some things that you're not perfectly designed to take care of on your own.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Pankaks said:
Could a knife even damage a kinetic barrier? Would be pretty interesting to see Tali pull that thing out in ME3.
A knife attack wouldn't trigger the kinetic barrier. Kinetic barriers only work against high speed impact shots.

ME Codex said:
Kinetic Barriers ("Shields")

Kinetic barriers, colloquially called "shields", provide protection against most mass accelerator weapons. Whether on a starship or a soldier's suit of armor, the basic principle remains the same.

Kinetic barriers are repulsive mass effect fields projected from tiny emitters. These shields safely deflect small objects traveling at rapid velocities. This affords protection from bullets and other dangerous projectiles, but still allows the user to sit down without knocking away their chair.

The shielding afforded by kinetic barriers does not protect against extremes of temperature, toxins, or radiation.

Dresden

Killthee said:
A knife attack wouldn't trigger the kinetic barrier. Kinetic barriers only work against high speed impact shots.
Yup. It's basically the personal shields from Dune. People have to fight with swords and slow-firing dartguns, because the shielding tech just bounces off high velocity bullets and laser attacks.

Arde5643

Coxswain said:
It's too bad Infiltrators are pretty much beaten at their own game by Soldiers. Apart from the defensive abilities of Tactical Cloak, a Soldier using Heightened Adrenaline Rush gets twice the damage bonus that Assassination Cloak does, plus it doesn't auto-cancel after the first shot, or reset your health/shield regeneration.

Infiltrator is probably more fun, though, if only because there are some things that you're not perfectly designed to take care of on your own.
Most people playing as soldiers usually use the revenant instead of the widow though.

It's also nice not to get shot while you're sniping for a headshot as an infiltrator.

But yeah, adrenaline rush is too good for its own sake - kinda makes the soldier playthrough boring compared to other classes.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
WOW! Insanity is freakin hard. I'm getting owned. I'm on Horizon doing the end battle that starts with two Scions and a bunch of husks. My teammates are freakin retarded and can't stay alive for more than a few seconds. I'm really amazed at how poorly they stay in cover and react to what is going on around them. I can sit and watch as one of them sits looking over cover shooting at an enemy while another enemy is standing beside them hitting them with melee attacks. Freakin sad.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Truelize said:
WOW! Insanity is freakin hard. I'm getting owned. I'm on Horizon doing the end battle that starts with two Scions and a bunch of husks. My teammates are freakin retarded and can't stay alive for more than a few seconds. I'm really amazed at how poorly they stay in cover and react to what is going on around them. I can sit and watch as one of them sits looking over cover shooting at an enemy while another enemy is standing beside them hitting them with melee attacks. Freakin sad.
Manually change the target then (select the enemy then press up on the d pad).

Truelize said:

Probably bad to say it now, but there are some battles on Insanity, where the best way is to just NUKE the thing. Horizon is one, and the
Reaper's Core
is another.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Arde5643 said:
The widow's base damage is 368. The grenade launcher's base damage is 400.

Assassin cloak adds 75% damage to a shot from your weapon while cloaking.
Assassin expertise (passive) grants you another 15% damage to assassin cloak and 15% damage to the base weapon itself - meaning you get 30% damage when using cloak.
Plus the 50% universal headshot bonus and the 50% universal sniper damage bonus and don't forget the 10% headshot bonus from visor, you get another 110% damage bonus when sniping headshots.

And last but not least, don't forget with tungsten ammo, you get 75% against health and armor.

In other words, at the end game, when the infiltrator cloaks and snipes a headshot with the widow he can get 1100+ to 1300 (against armored enemies) damage per shot.

That is why the infiltrator never uses heavy weapons (well, save for Cain with its 10000 damage).

Sweet Baby Jesus.

I already wanted to go Infiltrator after my NG+ for my first new character in ME2, but this seals the deal now...

I just need to wait till my projects are over so that I can actually game again.

Truelize said:

When I first started on Insanity and saw how eager my teammates were to go set up themselves in front of me (this is just Miranda and Zaeed), there was a 50/50 chance they'd die - sometimes they'd even survive, but I stopped letting that happen after the next 3 or 4 battles - I always start off by positioning them manually and spread a good distance apart, preferably behind me, and it's been all good ever since.

Don't ever let them go and do their own thing on Insanity, even if it does work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom