• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Hey I could use some help here:

Spoiler (It's kind of hard to tell when you hit that point in the game so I guess only someone who has already finished the game should look into this.):

I think I'm now 3/4 through the game and I built up a good relation to Miranda. But now after Jacks personal Mission there was a fight between Jack and Miranda and I hadn't gathered enough points to select the good answer (you know the blue one) and so I choosed to support Jack (a mistake i guess), and now Miranda is angry at me. I've already gathered enough good points to get her back loyal to me but I fear that I lost all possibilities on starting a romance :(. Is that really the case or is everything normal again?

Thanks in advance for a preferably spoilerfree answer.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Kinyou said:
Hey I could use some help here:

Spoiler (It's kind of hard to tell when you hit that point in the game so I guess only someone who has already finished the game should look into this.):

I think I'm now 3/4 through the game and I built up a good relation to Miranda. But now after Jacks personal Mission there was a fight between Jack and Miranda and I hadn't gathered enough points to select the good answer (you know the blue one) and so I choosed to support Jack (a mistake i guess), and now Miranda is angry at me. I've already gathered enough good points to get her back loyal to me but I fear that I lost all possibilities on starting a romance :(. Is that really the case or is everything normal again?

Thanks in advance for a preferably spoilerfree answer.

I'm not positive, but you might be screwed... or unscrewed, in this case.

Kinyou

GuardianE said:
I'm not positive, but you might be screwed... or unscrewed, in this case.

Ok thanks :lol

I guess then I'll have to to bite the bullet and do some things again. (I should save more often.)

ok i'm now really missing the mako. they got to get rid of the stupid planet scanning. while they're at it, get rid of the fuel and fuel depot.

macfoshizzle said:
ok i'm now really missing the mako. they got to get rid of the stupid planet scanning. while they're at it, get rid of the fuel and fuel depot.

Isn't the fuel for the ship Element zero? Why do I have to mine that shit then???

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dilly said:
I'm considering buying the books, are they good?

If you enjoy the Mass Effect Universe and are interested in expanding the backstory then yes.

Zalasta

SundaySounds said:
Isn't the fuel for the ship Element zero? Why do I have to mine that shit then???

Nope, element zero is used mainly in biotic and tech upgrades. Fuel can only be bought, or substitute with either iridium or palladium if you ran out mid-travel.

EatChildren said:
Some people will call foul on how cheesy they are, and how simplistic the writing is, but if you're a sucker for the Mass Effect universe they're good enough to read. But I'm one of those people who'll lap up everything for this franchise :p.
I guess I don't read enough novels to be able to tell the difference between great writing and simple writing, but I found the books to be very entertaining. I guess you can find elitist snobs in anything and everything (cars, computers, food, books, ect...) people do on this Earth.

Zalasta said:
Nope, element zero is used mainly in biotic and tech upgrades. Fuel can only be bought, or substitute with either iridium or palladium if you ran out mid-travel.

I thought that the huge mass effect reactor on the shit was fueled by EZero.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dark Octave said:
I guess I don't read enough novels to be able to tell the difference between great writing and simple writing, but I found the books to be very entertaining. I guess you can find elitist snobs in anything and everything (cars, computers, food, books, ect...) people do on this Earth.

Pretty much. I'm not knocking the books as I really enjoyed them. As long as people have fun and dont expect master level character and story writing they'll be happy.

SundaySounds said:
I thought that the huge mass effect reactor on the shit was fueled by EZero.

the whole thing is confusing. from my understanding, element zero is the base of any FTL drive. it needs electricity to react with the FTL drive. All the electrical power in the normandy is powered by a fusion reactor. and there's also regular thrusters that is powered by something else. but it needs to fly in FTL speeds to go from one system to another which is the case in ME2. Actually even from one planet to another im assuming it needs FTL travel because even from earth to mars, it will take 4 minutes in light speed.

macfoshizzle said:
the whole thing is confusing. from my understanding, element zero is the base of any FTL drive. it needs electricity to react with the FTL drive. All the electrical power in the normandy is powered by a fusion reactor. and there's also regular thrusters that is powered by something else. but it needs to fly in FTL speeds to go from one system to another which is the case in ME2. Actually even from one planet to another im assuming it needs FTL travel because even from earth to mars, it will take 4 minutes in light speed.

Helium 3. Helium 3 can be used for FTL speeds but at great costs.

harrytang

maybe this is explained in a codex somewhere, but if this universe goes through a cyclical culling every tens of thousands of years, and every planet in the games has been home to countless civilizations, how are there any raw materials left to mine and scan for? Could the Reapers actually replace an entire planets resources so a civilization can start over? Let me know.

macfoshizzle said:
I find the planet scanning acceptable on the PC version. It's pretty quick. But the 360 version is much, much slower, perhaps 3 or 4 times slower. It's awful, a really unnecessary hindrance to the game.

Mindlog

EatChildren said:
Some people will call foul on how cheesy they are, and how simplistic the writing is, but if you're a sucker for the Mass Effect universe they're good enough to read. But I'm one of those people who'll lap up everything for this franchise :p.

Best ME book review ever. It's 100% correct.

They're crap, but I know I'm buying the next one as well.
They're not total crap. I mean GAF did recommend 'Old Man's War' and I thought even less of that piece of Sci-Fi.

Dark Octave said:

It's not about being elitist imo. They're really not as good as they should be. This is also my biggest problem with, 'Old Man's War.' I LOVE the concept behind OMW, but the execution and writing was average at best.

An 'Altered Carbon'/'River of Gods' quality book set on the Citadel could be amazing.

Dan Yo

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Exactly. They were good books comparable to anything else you'd find in the fiction and/or sci fi section. Some apparently will shit on anything that isn't going down in history as a literary masterpiece.

The books are entertaining, people should read them if they like the game, and that's really all that needs to be said about them.

Cep

Banned
Dan Yo said:
Exactly. They were good books comparable to anything else you'd find in the fiction and/or sci fi section. Some apparently will shit on anything that isn't going down in history as a literary masterpiece.

The books are entertaining, people should read them if they like the game, and that's really all that needs to be said about them.

Or that they find them to be sub-par.

Nothing wrong with people saying they find something to be shit. Just because you are willing to settle does not mean that everyone who does not is some sort of elitist snob.

The only time this become an issue is when someone takes their perception of quality and uses it to bludgeon people away or force it down throats.

Dresden

That said, the Mass Effect books are bad. Karpyshyn might be a decent game writer, but he's not a good novelist at all. It's not about the Mass Effect books needing to be literary masterpieces, it's about them being competent sci-fi, which they are not.

Hellspawn23

Neo Member
TheVisualizer said:
was just worried about what they hinted for ME3 that multiple romances might have repercussions

im riding out with Tali to the end and don't want her biting the bullet in ME3 just cuz Shepard probed someone else successfully in ME1, besides I was looking for a reason to throw away my old Ashley save in the garbage anyway after
the way she comes at you in ME2 if you keep her alive, ignorant skeezer...

yea, i was dissapointed with ashely in this one, i should have left her to die.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
That said, the Mass Effect books are bad. Karpyshyn might be a decent game writer, but he's not a good novelist at all. It's not about the Mass Effect books needing to be literary masterpieces, it's about them being competent sci-fi, which they are not.

Snob! Snob!

The biggest problem I had with the books was that Drew Karpyshyn apparently doesn't know the difference between the words 'undo' and 'undue'. I bought them both because I just had to have moar Mass Effect in my system, and the rampant fanboy in me was able to ignore the fact that they were hardly literary masterpieces. The second one is far more interesting than the first, mainly because the entire plot of the first book is given away in one line by Captain Anderson in the first game. And maybe because I read the second book, which drops juicy Mass Effect 2 info, before Mass Effect 2 came out.

It's great seeing references to the books in the game. I got an message from one
Captain Mal
a few hours ago :D

K' Dash

Guys I need help, I tried to avoid spoilers of any kind for this game so I'm not familiar with this thread just so you know.

I was playing yesterday and
after rescuing the Super Soldier Krogan I talked to Miranda and she asked me to go on a mission to Ilios to rescue her sister, so I went to Ilios and when reached the planet the fucking game asked me for the second disc, this wouldn't be so bad if I actually would have done some exploring, I didn't think it would ask me to change disc so early in the game, I didn't have the chance to explore most the systems.

Soooo, what did I miss? I just found ONE anomaly on unexplored planets and it was a mission to recover data from a ship falling appart

Will I miss something cool/important?

K' Dash said:
Guys I need help, I tried to avoid spoilers of any kind for this game so I'm not familiar with this thread just so you know.

I was playing yesterday and
after rescuing the Super Soldier Krogan I talked to Miranda and she asked me to go on a mission to Ilios to rescue her sister, so I went to Ilios and when reached the planet the fucking game asked me for the second disc, this wouldn't be so bad if I actually would have done some exploring, I didn't think it would ask me to change disc so early in the game, I didn't have the chance to explore most the systems.

Soooo, what did I miss? I just found ONE anomaly on unexplored planets and it was a mission to recover data from a ship falling appart

Will I miss something cool/important?

Don't worry, you didn't miss anything. After that mission, or any loyalty mission for that matter, you can continue to explore the galaxy.

PS your avatar is awesome.

K' Dash

Sir Garbageman said:
Don't worry, you didn't miss anything. After that mission, or any loyalty mission for that matter, you can continue to explore the galaxy.

Thank you I was afraid I'd be missing some sidequests.

Sir Garbageman said:
PS your avatar is awesome.

Bayonetta <3

Dogenzaka

Banned
I'm interested in picking this game up. Is there any DRM for the PC version, and does anyone know the specs? If there is or my PC doesn't run it, I may just pick it up for 360.

Arde5643

Dogenzaka said:
I'm interested in picking this game up. Is there any DRM for the PC version, and does anyone know the specs? If there is or my PC doesn't run it, I may just pick it up for 360.
I don't think there's any DRM, for the cerberus stuffs you need to connect to EA though.

Ding

Dan Yo said:
Exactly. They were good books comparable to anything else you'd find in the fiction and/or sci fi section.
Yeah, no. Neither of these books is gonna be up for a Hugo award. I read science fiction almost exclusively, and in my opinion, the first book was pretty badly written. It was still interesting as a source of back-story, but the writing itself was a bit amateur hour. (IMO) The second book seemed better to me, although still not rising to a level I'd actually call "good". Let's call it.... decent.

But I bought and read both books, and I don't feel cheated. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece; I just wanted some additional lore to get me prepared/hyped for ME2. I got that.

It's the same story with the Halo books, really. They scratch a very particular itch. Want to read a story set in the same universe as a fun video game? These books have got you covered. Want to read some great sci-fi? Go elsewhere. I'd recommend doing both! :D

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

started the game.. updated the game, agreed with everything, pressed start, LOUD WEIRD NOISE..... nothing.

turn 360 off, turn 360 on: RED MOTHERFUCKING RINGS OF MICROSOFT CANCER

fuck.. i wanted to play this game bad.. how reliable are the new 360's?...........

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
GhostRidah said:
yea it was, was hoping someone on gaf got it and would upload it to another host :D
Why not/didn't you? :p

Dogenzaka said:
No DRM, only disc check.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sup guys.

So umm, maybe you can sell me on this game. I'm tempted to buy it but I don't have any particular interest in "Outerspace Star Trek" type games. The last sci-fi-ish game I played was Phantasy Star Online and was bored to tears with only an hour of play time. Is this game all that is cracked up to be? Is it more shooter or more slow moving rpg style? I heard the first one was kinda boring so I dunno.

If I like Gears 1 and 2 will I like ME2? I fucking LOVE Gears!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
isamu said:
Sup guys.

So umm, maybe you can sell me on this game. I'm tempted to buy it but I don't have any particular interest in "Outerspace Star Trek" type games. The last sci-fi-ish game I played was Phantasy Star Online and was bored to tears with only an hour of play time. Is this game all that is cracked up to be? Is it more shooter or more slow moving rpg style? I heard the first one was kinda boring so I dunno.

Oh yeah one more thing, what's the health system like? Is it health regen?

Patryn

isamu said:
Sup guys.

I'll give the same response I always give to these questions: If you need to be talked into it, you don't want it.

Skip it.

isamu

Patryn said:
I'll give the same response I always give to these questions: If you need to be talked into it, you don't want it.

Skip it.

That's a little vague though isn't it? I mean, just because I'd like to be talked into doesn't necessarily mean I don't want it. Perhaps I *do* want it but just need the little extra push.

Patryn

isamu said:
That's a little vague though isn't it? I mean, just because I'd like to be talked into doesn't necessarily mean I don't want it. Perhaps I *do* want it but just need the little extra push.

Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I've always found when I've tried to generate enthusiasm for something, I will inevitably be disappointed in the end.

If you're truly interested, I suggest taking a look at some of the videos of the game in action to see if it's what you expect or not.

One thing I will say is that it definitely has a lot of story, so if that does bother you, you probably will have issues with the game. It's really a 50/50 mix of combat and dialogue.

Lakitu

st5fu
isamu said:

It has Gears-like combat which I think you'll enjoy but I don't think it's as refined as Gears. I think you'll find the new levelling system and upgrade system enjoyable, but the game has a ton of dialogue and it's not just one combat level after another. It's pretty much role playing and third person shooter genres melded together, if you can enjoy the role-playing and dialogue, I think you'll really enjoy the game. It's alot more easier to get into than the first one.

Dan Yo

Banned
isamu said:
Watch some videos of it. If you find it interesting, then buy it.

dralla

you didn't get the first one because you "heard it was boring", you're going to have no idea what's going on. if you're asking if the game's combat alone is good enough to warrant a purchase, than I'd say no. it's not a pure shooter, it's a narrative driven game/series first and foremost. go on youtube and see if it interests you

Dan Yo

Banned
Cep said:
Or that they find them to be sub-par.

Nothing wrong with people saying they find something to be shit. Just because you are willing to settle does not mean that everyone who does not is some sort of elitist snob.

The only time this become an issue is when someone takes their perception of quality and uses it to bludgeon people away or force it down throats.
Realistic expectations. Someone below you quipped that it isn't going to win an award. Well no shit.

Dina

Just played through half of the loyalty missions and some random optional quests. Shit is still awesome, even more so since my Infiltrator Shepard just gets stronger and stronger. ME2 is a very, very strong GOTY contender. Loving this game to bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom