• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I missed out on banning people during the Skyward Sword reviews as the reception wasn't anywhere near as maniacal as I hoped (Uncharted 3 won that award), but Mass Effect 3 could be a suitable follow up. I look forward to the fanboy meltdowns and irrational dismissal of every review under a 10, and the delicious bans that will follow.

Bowdz

I think what makes Mass Effect's "story", special is how incredibly well realized of a world it is. There are so many different races with interesting and compelling back stories to them. They've managed to make you feel like you are apart of this entirely vast and expansive new world and not many games can say that.

The storyline itself of the struggle against the Reapers is really just an means to end to develop relationships and have those meaningful conversations with other characters.

At least that's my take.

Agreed. That is one of the main reasons I can look past the bad writing and weird design choices. The art design is brilliant and helps to realize the fleshed out universe that Bioware came up with. Regardless of their shortcomings with gameplay, writing, and tech, Bioware definitely crafted one of my favorite gaming universes.

Vire

I missed out on banning people during the Skyward Sword reviews as the reception wasn't anywhere near as maniacal as I hoped (Uncharted 3 won that award), but Mass Effect 3 could be a suitable follow up. I look forward to the fanboy meltdowns and irrational dismissal of every review under a 10, and the delicious bans that will follow.

I was pretty proud of Zelda-GAF for keeping it on lockdown.

Funnily enough, I didn't think I would have liked it as much as I did. Adore that game to bits.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think what makes Mass Effect's "story", special is how incredibly well realized of a world it is. There are so many different races with interesting and compelling back stories to them. They've managed to make you feel like you are apart of this entirely vast and expansive new world and not many games can say that.

The storyline itself of the struggle against the Reapers is really just an means to end to develop relationships and have those meaningful conversations with other characters.

At least that's my take.
The universe is what I like the most about ME too. One of the reasons I was okay with ME2 being sparse on the story was because ME1 already built such a good framework for everything.

The Reapers just provide a story that guide events in the world.

Pollux

Can you make a blog about this stuff...would be awesome.

And since nobody answers:

So, here's the plan. Best Buy opens at 10 am on Tuesday. I will be there when the doors open. Think I'll get a Collector's Edition without a preorder if I do that?

Shit...IGN has a 2 minute long tour video of the Citadel too.... SHIT.

Must...not.....aaaaaaghhhhh

Post the link please

kingkaiser

I have a question about the default story settings in Mass Effect 3. I played the first and second game on the 360, but since my xbox died on me last month i decided to buy ME3 for my PS3. Letting me with no possibility to carry over my old save files...

So, does anybody know what the default story settings are gonna be when you start a new file? Will it be even possible to make some choices beforehand like it was with the interactive comic for ME2?

Rokam

I think we may actually see some of the opposite too, if it gets good reviews the Bioware/ME/EA haters will come out in full force. Can't wait, either way should make for a good read!

I think you have it reversed.

People will be screaming blood murder if the game gets reviewed high.

This is an EA game we're talking about here. Be realistic.

Pollux

Y'all think I'll have enough time to play both 1 and 2 if I start 1 tomorrow afternoon? Also, Saint Shep or Asshole Shep? Which one to go with for the play through?

Derrick01

Banned
I think you have it reversed.

People will be screaming blood murder if the game gets reviewed high.

This is an EA game we're talking about here. Be realistic.

Does anyone NOT expect this to review high?

If anything I will be waiting to pick out the hype driven reviews like IGN. Stuff like calling it the best game story ever is reason enough to dismiss it.

Bowdz

You have to love this little gem from the BSN forums:

Hipster journalists NOT giving 10/10 to ME3 said:
I hope at least IGN gives a deserving 10/10 in a while. It seems reviews are kicking in and some Polish reviewers are giving 9's and 9.5's to this game.

THAT sucks. I'm sure, even without playing it, that it deserves a perfect score.

Not that I care, I already have my CE preordered. But I want more people to know how great this game is so we can get more sagas with this quality from BioWare.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's going to be so much blood.

Misguided

Banned
Just won a free copy of this. How long does it take to play through ME2, on average? Need to finish that before I jump into this.

Ilive1up

is it possible to unlock the insanity achievement if every member dies in the final act? i just want to run through the game real quick, do the least amount of stuff and get it done with.

Y'all think I'll have enough time to play both 1 and 2 if I start 1 tomorrow afternoon? Also, Saint Shep or Asshole Shep? Which one to go with for the play through?

If you skip the assignments, most definitely. If not, then you're probably gonna be pushing it close, real close.

And I don't really recommend playing a one-sided Shep...

Just won a free copy of this. How long does it take to play through ME2, on average? Need to finish that before I jump into this.

If you dick around, about twenty. If you know what you are doing, and you want to do every sidequest, probably ten to fifteen.

I'm doing a Suicide Speedrun/Mass Genocide, and I'm on the last mission: nine hours.

shamanick

images

Mindlog

Do we have an over/under on bans? Let's bet some GAF Gold on it.

I know this is their first effort, but I wish multiplayer had equipment profiles. I never waste equipment on bronze, but I have a lot of stuff for silver and gold. It would be nice to be able to equip favorites per class.

RE Citadel: I won't watch any more than I already have. I just hope there are some good clubs.

Piecake

Does anyone NOT expect this to review high?

If anything I will be waiting to pick out the hype driven reviews like IGN. Stuff like calling it the best game story ever is reason enough to dismiss it.

who knows, maybe it does?

Nice to see that youre going in with an open mind though, lol

Derrick01

Banned
who knows, maybe it does?

Nice to see that youre going in with an open mind though, lol

I feel extremely safe saying that a game that was written by Mac Walters will not have the greatest story in gaming history.

And if they're including the whole trilogy then like I said, even with ME1 which I really love, it's still not even close on the list of RPG stories let alone all games.

Remmy2112

Depends on difficulty and how completionist you are. My recent playthrough on hardcore difficulty with the Sentinel class took 45 hours. I did literally everything though including the DLCs. Overlord, Zaeed, Kasumi, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Firewalker, and Arrival. Hardcore difficulty gives every enemy, even filler, a shield, armor, or barrier health bar making combat take longer.

Pollux

Blog it. Please lol

If you skip the assignments, most definitely. If not, then you're probably gonna be pushing it close, real close.

And I don't really recommend playing a one-sided Shep...

You know what, you're right. I'm going to play 1 how I want, play 2 how I want, and screw the paragon/renegade scale and whoever dies, dies.

*Spoilers Obviously*

Citadel Tour

Thank you.

Edit: Damn. Hype just keeps going up with everything I see about this game.

I've been on a complete blackout for ME3 but am insanely hyped to pick it up next week.

Always loved the franchise, just one question Gaf.. Do I need the CE (360) or am I good with just the regular edition?

Sober

Thank god they fixed the Paragon/Renegade thing from ME2. The new Reputation system overall looks good. Still too hyped for my own good though.

jgminto

I've been on a complete blackout for ME3 but am insanely hyped to pick it up next week.

Always loved the franchise, just one question Gaf.. Do I need the CE (360) or am I good with just the regular edition?

I'd say it's worth it. It also comes with the fairly important day 1 DLC character included.

Sojgat

I have been watching a few videos today including those on ign which have totally laid to rest any scepticism I had concerning this game. Thursday cannot come fast enough.

Dat review in progress

dat reputation blog

dat brute preview.....

rk1vn4.gif

Yup after watching those vids some humble pie may be my future dessert. I have to admit the graphics in those vids look fucking amazing. So much going on in the background. I just wonder if they were showing the 360 version in those vids, if so, damn I'm pretty much blown away.

Top Bottom