• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Riposte

There's people that think this game will deserve a 10? I've never played a game that deserved a 10. In my mind, a 10 is pure myth: it's an amalgam of the best parts of every genre, of every game ever created. It's a game that knows no ending, and shows consistent awesomeness. It's a game that never grows dull, as it always finds a way to surprise you.

Mass Effect 3 won't be a ten. :lol

What's a 5/5? (Or two thumbs up, etc)

Kem0sabe

I generally dislike review score systems. They just create barriers (by means of score comparisons) for the reviewer to be completely honest with himself in his evaluation of the game.

I think a simple article on every facet of the game with a "recommend" or "not recommended" at the end, with the understanding that it´s purely the reviewers opinion, would be more than enough for a review system.

ape2man

viewimg.php

WHOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
There's people that think this game will deserve a 10? I've never played a game that deserved a 10. In my mind, a 10 is pure myth: it's an amalgam of the best parts of every genre, of every game ever created. It's a game that knows no ending, and shows consistent awesomeness. It's a game that never grows dull, as it always finds a way to surprise you.

Mass Effect 3 won't be a ten. :lol

Exactly

I have never played a game that's worth a 10, not even close. (yes i've played OOT, RE4, Skyrim ect and no none of them are even close to 10s).

What's a 5/5? (Or two thumbs up, etc)

Top score equals to a 10, I guess.

And I need to buy a new controller, all my previous ones are somehow busted. My old white controller has drift on the left stick and a malfunctioning B-button, while my newer silver controller has a busted dead zone on the right stick. I want to keep the better sticks and D-pad, but Microsoft hasn't released them on any other controller yet, it seems. That fucking sucks, I'd prefer not opening up my new controller right away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If a '10' is considered literally perfect in every conceivable way, and theoretically unattainable by any game, then I don't see the point in using a scale of any kind at all.

If a '10' is considered literally perfect in every conceivable way, and theoretically unattainable by any game, then I don't see the point in using a scale of any kind at all.

And that's exactly the problem with using a scale. Reviews shouldn't have to rely on a simple number, but because most people are like this:

c98mxc8d.gif

They have to. And that number is so subjective that it usually fails to get the point across anyway.

Giving a game a 10 implies it's perfect. No game is. There's always some flaws. If you're a review and you want to game a 10, take a step back and reconsider, because when you replay the game six months from now, chances are you'll find a lot more things that are not to your liking.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, the sucky part is that people skip the text (where the real details are) and look straight for a number. Worse yet many journalists operate on a high five scale, where five is not an average.

Still, I disagree with the notion that a 10 is supposed to be perfect.

Vire

And that's exactly the problem with using a scale. Reviews shouldn't have to rely on a simple number, but because most people are like this:

They have to. And that number is so subjective that it usually fails to get the point across anyway.

Giving a game a 10 implies it's perfect. No game is. There's always some flaws. If you're a review and you want to game a 10, take a step back and reconsider, because when you replay the game six months from now, chances are you'll find a lot more things that are not to your liking.

I think when review outlets give out 10's they are claiming that it is the best possible experience you can have currently with gaming, not that it is perfect.

Seriously. Not using the 10/10, 5/5, whatever/whatever that represents the cream of the crop is foolishness. It doesn't have to mean the game's perfect, it just means that specific reviewer or publication thought it was a personal classic, or at the top of its genre at that period in time. If no game can reach that, review scores are pointless.

Using EatChildren's examples, I can go revisit a game like Super Metroid or RE4 today and have an amazing time. Other games like Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, and Donkey Kong Country 2 haven't aged a bit either for me. Those games are all 10s. They're timeless, brilliant, and aesthetically (music/graphics) appealing, with any flaws being minor, non-intrusive and easily forgettable in the context of the greater experience.

I think when review outlets give out 10's they are claiming that it is the best possible experience you can have currently with gaming, not that it is perfect.

Yeah, that's true. To me, a 10 is supposed to signifiy 'perfection', though. You won't find a teacher willing to give you a 10 on a test because it's "the best possible thing you could curerntly do".

Which is why I tend to stick to GAF for impressions and such. Though that's made me a lot more cynical. :lol

Using EatChildren's examples, I can go revisit a game like Super Metroid or RE4 today and have an amazing time. Other games like Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, and Donkey Kong Country 2 haven't aged a bit either for me. Those games are all 10s. They're timeless, brilliant, and aesthetically (music/graphics) appealing, with any flaws being minor, non-intrusive and easily forgettable in the context of the greater experience.

There's plenty of games where I can have an amazing time, years after I've played them. I still enjoy myself immensely while playing Halo 1 or Prey, but those games aren't perfect. And, as I said, a 10 signifies perfection to me. To you it doesn't, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Once again shows how subjective these things are, though.

EatChildren

Yeah, that's true. To me, a 10 is supposed to signifiy 'perfection', though. You won't find a teacher willing to give you a 10 on a test because it's "the best possible thing you could curerntly do".

Therein lies the problem. A test is based on a set of questions with a strict set of answers. They're either right, or wrong. Because entertainment and taste is subjective, and built from many components, I don't believe the qualities of what makes a game can be compounded into specific, defined point based scale. You cant gauge a game's quality with the science that you'd use behind a test, except for quantifiable elements like "does the game work when I turn it on / does pressing left on the controller make me actually go left".

There's too many subjective variables for a mathematically accurate ten point scale to work, so the scale should simply be a gauge of the reviewer's time with the game and the enjoyment factor, ideally using a truthful average though (eg: 5 is average on a 10 point scale).

For me personally, a 10/10 is a game that defines the medium to me, and is what I consider an exceptional example of what the medium can produce. It represents all the qualities required to make a good game, and executes these qualities to a high standard rare to the medium. It is admirable for what it accomplishes, and will stick with me as an experience long after I'm finished. It doesn't mean it is truly flawless, or that it can never be bested, just that it is what gaming is all about to me.

What if a teacher gives you full points on an essay or essay question? Surely no essay is 100% perfect. There's far too many variables to come to that conclusion.

Therein lies the problem. A test is based on a set of questions with a strict set of answers. They're either right, or wrong. Because entertainment and taste is subjective, and built from many components, I don't believe the qualities of what makes a game can be compounded into specific, defined point based scale. You cant gauge a game's quality with the science that you'd use behind a test, except for quantifiable elements like "does the game work when I turn it on / does pressing left on the controller make me actually go left".

There's too many subjective variables for a mathematically accurate ten point scale to work, so the scale should simply be a gauge of the reviewer's time with the game and the enjoyment factor, ideally using a truthful average though (eg: 5 is average on a 10 point scale).

Yep. And yet a lot of people treat it that way, see the outcry when a game people like doesn't get the score they want it to have. That's why such scales don't really work for me. What's a 10 for one person can be a 7 for another.

What if a teacher gives you full points on an essay or essay question? Surely no essay is 100% perfect. There's far too many variables to come to that conclusion.

That's a good point, and a more apt comparison than what I was making.

Gazzawa

Just cleared ME2 on insanity with Morinth and Grunt at the end.
oh and get this
NO CAIN! NO Sniper! With Lame-ass vanguard trix

Tali and Jack are dead!

Come at me brollusive man!

Dennis

Banned
I think the higher difficulty levels are pretty badly implemented due to the shitty combat.

Lets be honest, we play the games in spite of the kinda crap gameplay.

Arjen

I think the higher difficulty levels are pretty badly implemented due to the shitty combat.

Meh..i love curving warp around corners, never gets old, i would love a pinacle station like combat arene for ME2/3

Does anyone NOT expect this to review high?

If anything I will be waiting to pick out the hype driven reviews like IGN. Stuff like calling it the best game story ever is reason enough to dismiss it.

What if it genuinely is the best story for this particular person?

Mass Effect as a series, for me, is one of, if not the best stories in game. Isn't someone entitled to his opinion?

Vire

Mass Effect as a series, for me, is one of, if not the best stories in game. Isn't someone entitled to his opinion?

Sure they are, but he is just as entitled to dismiss it with his own opinion.

Sure they are, but he is just as entitled to dismiss it with his own opinion.

Of course, though it is illogical. Every gamer, somewhere, has a videogame story that is his/her favorite. And this one just happens to be the IGN reviewer's.

So dismissing it because of that? Even though the game has its issues, it sounds like someone just wanting to find something wrong with it, and this 'full of praise' review just doesn't cut it.

Not going to lie. I'm looking foreword to seeing how the Bioware Haters are going to explain a Mass Effect 3 that is good. That is really, really, good.

EA just cock blocked postage dates at shopto :( they have to post them on the 7th and with regular royal mail, won't see the game until friday the 9th. Usually a game will appear a day before due to superior post dates.

:'(

I actually enjoy ME1 gun combat, what helps it is how many different mods you can stick on a weapon.

EatChildren

Then they can believe that, but one of the requirements to being able to expressing an opinion is being open to people disagreeing and debating against it. People are free to argue that Mass Effect isn't a very good story, and question the claim it is in a review, just as the reviewer is free to declare it the best thing ever.

scarybore

EA just cock blocked postage dates at shopto :( they have to post them on the 7th and with regular royal mail, won't see the game until friday the 9th. Usually a game will appear a day before due to superior post dates.

:'(

I've had a lot of shopto orders arrive 1 day after delivery so I'm not too worried. In any case, I always viewed getting it early as a bonus so if it didn't happen I wouldn't be too bothered.

Sucks that EA didn't go for a global release date though, avoiding the spoilers during next week is going to be a right pain in the ass.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I actually enjoy ME1 gun combat, what helps it is how many different mods you can stick on a weapon.

Yet, you'll always stick with the same one or two mods, unless you like to waste time switching mods all the time.

Of course, though it is illogical. Every gamer, somewhere, has a videogame story that is his/her favorite. And this one just happens to be the IGN reviewer's.

So dismissing it because of that? Even though the game has its issues, it sounds like someone just wanting to find something wrong with it, and this 'full of praise' review just doesn't cut it.

No. Cause ME3 is an EA game. And EA is evil. So the IGN reviewer was obviously paid to praise the game.

You know some people think like that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh shit. Just caught that I didn't have release date shipping on my CE on Amazon. It didn't have the option to change it either. I emailed Amazon since I'm a Prime member. Hopefully I can get it on launch or I will be in a fit of krogan bloodrage.

Dennis

Banned
Oh shit. Just caught that I didn't have release date shipping on my CE on Amazon. It didn't have the option to change it either. I emailed Amazon since I'm a Prime member. Hopefully I can get it on launch or I will be in a fit of krogan bloodrage.

Don't worry, you can just follow along as the rest of us posts screenshots and story updates in here when we play the game and you don't.

Watching a "spoiler free" normandy tour, already been spoiled about 5 times in this video :/

I dislike the new ship layout, they have crammed in way too much thus created more doors and loading zones, kind of ruined the normandy for me now.

Yet, you'll always stick with the same one or two mods, unless you like to waste time switching mods all the time.

Playing on insane you kind of need to do so depending on what you fight, I enjoy it myself.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Don't worry, you can just follow along as the rest of us posts screenshots and story updates in here when we play the game and you don't.

I'll just follow the screens you post since you go through games at a glacial pace.

And cry because they'll look so beautiful.

Derrick01

Banned

Then I would feel like as a "professional" reviewer he would have to explain that position in detail. I don't feel like anyone who grew up playing the best wrpgs (or even someone like me who was exposed to the genre in ~2006 and went back to play them all) could possibly believe this series has the best story.

I think it had the potential to have the best story but they never really followed up from what ME1 established. And I put most of that blame on Mac Walters.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Then I would feel like as a "professional" reviewer he would have to explain that position in detail. I don't feel like anyone who grew up playing the best wrpgs (or even someone like me who was exposed to the genre in ~2006 and went back to play them all) could possibly believe this series has the best story.

I think it had the potential to have the best story but they never really followed up from what ME1 established. And I put most of that blame on Mac Walters.

Oooor, maybe he is a guy who loves sci-fi a lot more than medieval or modern stuff, and considering that wrpgs in space are rare outside of this franchise nowadays, he loves Mass Effect games because of that. Who knows.

I don't feel like anyone who grew up playing the best wrpgs (or even someone like me who was exposed to the genre in ~2006 and went back to play them all) could possibly believe this series has the best story.

Then unfortunately I find it sad that you think that way Derrick *shrug*

Derrick01

Banned
Oooor, maybe he is a guy who loves sci-fi a lot more than medieval or modern stuff, and considering that wrpgs in space are rare outside of this franchise nowadays, he loves Mass Effect games because of that. Who knows.

I love sci fi more than any other genre too but I'm not going to let the ME series off the hook for its failings because of that. My ultimate dream is that Obsidian would make a sci fi game, whether it's an offshoot of mass effect or a new universe. I mean I've seen some say new vegas is sci fi but I was thinking more in the traditional sense (space exploration, starships, etc)

Kunohara

Has anyone else pre-ordered the collector's edition from amazon.ca? Mine says it's going to ship on March 9th, but the game comes out March 6th. Does anyone else's order say that? I was hoping to get the game by at least March 12th since I took the week off. I don't want to get the game on the 13 or 14th (like it says on my order page).

Didn't anyone here order from amazon.ca? Am I the only one this is happening to? I've been looking online for anyone else with this problem, and I seem to be the only one.

Im playing Mass Effect 2 again and im shocked by how sluggish it feels compared to the ME3 demo. And i was already happy with the improvements ME2 made over ME1.

Top Bottom