• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Dany

Banned
Nice impressions.

It feels good. I know less than I did when entering ME2. It feels like for ME2, bioware really laid it out how the game was set up. Get these 10 members, loyalty then attack the collector base.

I had the same issue, ended up just activating my Amazon key on Origin and installing through there. I had to download Mass Effect 3 in full a second time, but it worked out.

Great. 10 GB download and I have to do it again. Wouldn't be something to worry about but I have Comcast with the infamous 250GB cap and I've been getting closer to that number each month than I would like.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Tom Chick's impressions:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/20...-lord-of-the-lord-of-the-rings/#disqus_thread

Skip to 52:00, no spoilers.

-Thought ME1 was OK, hated ME2 (all levels felt like space dungeons, too streamlined), really liked ME3. He said it was the best out of the three
-Really liked the gameplay and levels. only some "go from Point A to Point B" in ME3, but for the most part, they do a really good job making the levels more spectacular and less linear. Areas are also a lot wider
-RPG elements are back and much better, finally figured out a way to combine RPG/shooter and make it feel coherent.
-ME3 really feels like the most confident game Bioware has done since KotOR
-Really loved the story, they resolve a lot of of really cool, long-standing arcs from previous games. Fans will love how plot arcs are resolved.
-Really loved the ending, and loved that Bioware took a interesting bold choice. Agreed that some people might not like, but he personally, loved it and felt it tied all the knots to the Mass Effect trilogy.

Dude loves to hate on everything, but this sounds real good.

GSR

I preloaded the game from Amazon but the installation fails. Is that simply because it won't install until launch? This is the first time I downloaded a Origin game through Amazon Downloads.

In what way did it fail? In the Amazon downloader or in Origin?

If it downloaded from Amazon you should have gotten a 10GB "Mass Effect 3.zip" file that you can just extract to your Origin games folder.

In what way did it fail? In the Amazon downloader or in Origin?

If it downloaded from Amazon you should have gotten a 10GB "Mass Effect 3.zip" file that you can just extract to your Origin games folder.

The installation fails during the installation in Origin.

Does it give any sort of message? Have you tried canceling and trying to start the install again with the Amazon file unzipped there?

I entered the product code and it launched origin. The game is now activated with my account but it fails with the message:

Installation Failed
We're sorry, there was a problem while installing Mass Effect 3 N7 Digital Deluxe Edition. You can try installing Mass Effect 3 N7 Digital Deluxe Edition again or you can download it from your game library if it was successfully activated.

I do have the 10 GB Mass Effect 3.zip with the files downloaded from Amazon.

Most confident? Even more confident than DA?

That says something.

Shut down Origin and start it back up. Worked for me.

57%.

I'll try that. Are you just redownloading it? I'd like to avoid that if possible but I'm glad that it is at least Activated with my account.

Actually, I don't want to derail this thread. I brought up the issue in the Amazon thread. I'll keep it in there. But thanks for the suggestions guys.

GSR

I know for me after I extracted the ME3 zip to Origin Games it just said "Preparing", and then "Installing", no download bar.

If you guys are talking about Amazon Digital Downloads, it messed BF3 up for me when I did that when I downloaded through Amazon then had Origin extract whatever that Amazon thing was.

It was much smoother after I simply plugged in the code Amazon gave me directly into Origin and just let Origin download it.

If you guys are talking about Amazon Digital Downloads, it messed BF3 up for me when I did that when I downloaded through Amazon then had Origin extract whatever that Amazon thing was.

It was much smoother after I simply plugged in the code Amazon gave me directly into Origin and just let Origin download it.

Yeah lesson learned. I'm just redownloading it. No biggy I guess.

Tom Chick's impressions:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/20...-lord-of-the-lord-of-the-rings/#disqus_thread

Skip to 52:00, no spoilers.

-Thought ME1 was OK, hated ME2 (all levels felt like space dungeons, too streamlined), really liked ME3. He said it was the best out of the three
-Really liked the gameplay and levels. only some "go from Point A to Point B" in ME3, but for the most part, they do a really good job making the levels more spectacular and less linear. Areas are also a lot wider
-RPG elements are back and much better, finally figured out a way to combine RPG/shooter and make it feel coherent.
-ME3 really feels like the most confident game Bioware has done since KotOR
-Really loved the story, they resolve a lot of of really cool, long-standing arcs from previous games. Fans will love how plot arcs are resolved.
-Really loved the ending, and loved that Bioware took a interesting bold choice. Agreed that some people might not like, but he personally, loved it and felt it tied all the knots to the Mass Effect trilogy.

Suck me sideways.

Grisby

Nice impressions.

It feels good. I know less than I did when entering ME2. It feels like for ME2, bioware really laid it out how the game was set up. Get these 10 members, loyalty then attack the collector base.
I like that the fact that it seemed like Bioware just had fun with their own game. ME2 had so many 'laugh out loud' moments for me, from the volus pretending to be a biotic god to head butting a Brogan.

I really hope ME3 has as much, if not more, personality.

I like that the fact that it seemed like Bioware just had fun with their own game. ME2 had so many 'laugh out loud' moments for me, from the volus pretending to be a biotic god to head butting a Brogan.

Those two were amazing, but the Krogan Headbutt stood out the most since it was a character moment.

The guy on the Citadel selling used games. Was that ME1?

Dude loves to hate on everything, but this sounds real good.

However you feel about Tom Chick, the important thing here is that the things he hated about ME 2 (lack of RPG elements, lack of depth, tight environments) are apparently not an issue in ME 3, at least from his point of view. That does sound great.

CortanaV

Neo Member
However you feel about Tom Chick, the important thing here is what he hated about ME 2 (lack of RPG elements, lack of depth, tight environments) are apparently not an issue in ME 3, at least from his point of view. That does sound great.

'Tis a nice silver-lining.

I'm still QQ'ing all over the place about the endings. GAWD DAMMIT.

Those two were amazing, but the Krogan Headbutt stood out the most since it was a character moment.

The guy on the Citadel selling used games. Was that ME1?

Most certainly ME2 in the Zakera ward.
Oh, look! Gamestop on the Citadel!

Semi related but my copy of the art of mass effect came today, some amazing paintings in that book, really good.

Not going to look at the ME3 part any time soon, but on one random page I peeped at it looked stunning.

Hawk269

I know some are playing the 360 version already...any reports on how it runs compared to the demo? I thought the demo ran a little frammy and just wondering if they cleaned it up.

I have a kick ass gaming rig, but the thought of playing the game with mouse and keyboard is not appealing at all for me (thanks BioWare for not supporting gamepads yet again). I played through ME1 & ME2 on 360 and loved them both (ME1 moreso)...but thought the demo on 360 of ME3 was a bit framy and jaggy...played the PC demo and WOW what a difference, but Graphics over playability since i am more of a controller person would lend me to get the game on 360.

So just wondering for those that have the final on 360 if it runs any better.

Thanks!

Tagg9

Is there some kind of recap at the start of ME3? Or should I be reading up on the plot? My memory is such a sieve and I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of events from the first 2 games.

Weird that we haven't heard anything beyond the initial announcements for the iOS stuff. I imagine Infiltrator will have to launch alongside ME3. What's the point of all those Galactic Readiness hooks if people are already well into the main game before that stuff hits?

CSX

This thread reminded me that My ME2 saves are all gone since i played the game on my now blown up computer. Just downloaded a ME2 save that had all my choices and ending done.

Do you guys think PC version of ME3 will import saves exactly like ME2? Or will it do something crazy like check to see if the save I downloaded is a save i actually played or ME2 is even installed?

Dany

Banned
Hmm... I have the codex available to me, but I didn't get any kind of recap when I started the game...

In ME2, I think the conversation between Miranda and The Illusive Man was a decent job recapping, along with the first mission.

This thread reminded me that My ME2 saves are all gone since i played the game on my now blown up computer. Just downloaded a ME2 save that had all my choices and ending done.

Do you guys think PC version of ME3 will import saves exactly like ME2? Or will it do something crazy like check to see if the save I downloaded is a save i actually played or ME2 is even installed?

A downloaded save will work just fine. Bioware has no way of knowing if it was downloaded or not.

Megasoum

Banned
Well shit... I was watching a random Space Shuttle documentary narrated by William Shatner earlier tonight and I found out that the commander on the first ISS crew was called Shepard.....

Well shit... I was watching a random Space Shuttle documentary narrated by William Shatner earlier tonight and I found out that the commander on the first ISS crew was called Shepard.....

Haha, I remember hearing something about that a while ago, BW named Commander Shepard after that Shepard.

RyanDG

I've always been curious what the source of the name was... If it was inspired by a specific historical figure.

I always thought it was a name-sake to Alan Shepard.

Megasoum

Banned
What? Commander Shepard is named after Alan Shepard. First American in space, 5th man to walk on the moon, hit two golf balls while he was there. Casey Hudson details it all here in the second video.

Hey I never said that the character was named after the ISS astronaut (somebody else did), I just pointed out that it was funny to hear that in a random documentary I catched on tv.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Was there ever a 'game of the year' edition of ME2 that collected all the DLC?

No, weirdly, only the PS3 release which has Kasumi, Overlord and Shadow Broker. I'm not sure why they never bothered to make a full GOTY pack with all the DLC. I figured it was inevitable as a lead in to ME3.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hey I never said that the character was named after the ISS astronaut (somebody else did), I just pointed out that it was funny to hear that in a random documentary I catched on tv.

My bad, its an interesting vid though. People should check it out. Turns out Casey Hudson himself named most or all the planets in ME along with their properties with an name generator he wrote up in excel. Pretty cool.

No, weirdly, only the PS3 release which has Kasumi, Overlord and Shadow Broker. I'm not sure why they never bothered to make a full GOTY pack with all the DLC. I figured it was inevitable as a lead in to ME3.

I figure that EA Ultra/GOTY Editions will start popping up again in the next few years.

I'm certain that we'll see a Mass Effect: The Complete Collection next year.

Top Bottom