• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Lime

I'm honestly surprised Bioware havent announced some performance patches by now.

They're probably just coming to terms with the fact that they released an unpolished subpar product that has somewhat tarnished the ME brand. I'm not sure there is a will to rectify the flaws or if they'll just move on to the next project.

hydruxo

Are you sure the piece you are crafting accepts that aug?

Yes. I was going to put it on my Dhan. Regardless though, even if it didn't accept it, it's not even in my inventory. I googled it and apparently other people have been getting this bug with this aug too.

malfcn

I found out why I was having trouble with some fights on Insanity. The ai breaks really easily.

At one point a kett with chain gun And Cora were standing right next to each other with no action. Commands didn't work either. The ai would also ignore me or immediately attack me.

Pair that with the squad trying to die as fast as possible, and it was alot of reloading.

Some enemy were even spawning in the air, just floating. A few would also disappear too.

------

Some of the damages are quite silly. I can use biotics to pull and throw someone and get massive differences. A priming pull and combo throw will wreck. But if I pull, and throw them 500 feet in the air, they live?

They're probably just coming to terms with the fact that they released an unpolished subpar product that has somewhat tarnished the ME brand. I'm not sure there is a will to rectify the flaws or if they'll just move on to the next project.

Hopefully they put out an animation patch. It's god awful.

X-Frame

Yes. I was going to put it on my Dhan. Regardless though, even if it didn't accept it, it's not even in my inventory. I googled it and apparently other people have been getting this bug with this aug too.

I wanted to use the Bio-Converter augmentation but was also experiencing the same bug. With respect to the Bio-Converter, I had to also purchase the Remnant augmentation "Shield Sensors" and then Bio-Converter showed up for me to use.

Maybe give the same a try for you? If that particular Shield Sensor one doesn't work, then unfortunately it may be tied to another random augmentation that you'll have to buy in order for the Power Booster to work.

EDIT: I checked my Research and I also researched that augmentation but can't use it for when I craft. So I still haven't managed to find the correct augmentation that may open this one up, if that would work at all ...

nOoblet16

Now that I have finished the game with all side quests (except for the additional tasks, not doing those) I am craving for some more. Maybe the multiplayer will do it for me but I don't wanna play with randoms, any guys here play the MP on PC?

Classic? Lol. You must have a low bar man. Coming from Zelda, Horizon and Nier this a downgrade. It has the worst dialogue of the series so far and even more janky than the previous games. Hopefully it gets better after the 10 hour trial. Highly disappointed so far though
You know opinions and all.
Perhaps you haven't played enough to comment enough considering games are suppose to be taken as a whole especially when you compare 6 hours of one game to 3 full game's worth of experience ? It's generally agreed upon here in this thread that this is is one game that gets better over time. It's a classic for me too, I don't see anything here that makes it a worse game than previous ones..different but not worse. But that's me again.

This game is doing things for me that Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 failed to do but Mass Effect 1 did, i.e. the feeling of actually being in space, exploring worlds as I see it fit and to top it off II don't feel disconnected doing so because I am not racing against time in the main quest while I do all of that on the side.

Van Bur3n

I found out why I was having trouble with some fights on Insanity. The ai breaks really easily.

At one point a kett with chain gun And Cora were standing right next to each other with no action. Commands didn't work either. The ai would also ignore me or immediately attack me.

Pair that with the squad trying to die as fast as possible, and it was alot of reloading.

Some enemy were even spawning in the air, just floating. A few would also disappear too.

------

Some of the damages are quite silly. I can use biotics to pull and throw someone and get massive differences. A priming pull and combo throw will wreck. But if I pull, and throw them 500 feet in the air, they live?

Yeah, the pull and throw combo is a bit weird sometimes. Pull them and then throw them into a near by tree they'll take a heap of damage. Throw them off a cliff and into a deep ravine, they're perfectly fine. I don't think it takes height into account for fall damage to occur, which is odd.

hydruxo

I wanted to use the Bio-Converter augmentation but was also experiencing the same bug. With respect to the Bio-Converter, I had to also purchase the Remnant augmentation "Shield Sensors" and then Bio-Converter showed up for me to use.

Maybe give the same a try for you? If that particular Shield Sensor one doesn't work, then unfortunately it may be tied to another random augmentation that you'll have to buy in order for the Power Booster to work.

EDIT: I checked my Research and I also researched that augmentation but can't use it for when I craft. So I still haven't managed to find the correct augmentation that may open this one up, if that would work at all ...

Hmm yeah I just tried buying Shield Sensors and it unlocked Bio Converter for me too. Still no Power Booster though.

I beat it last night. 40 hours. The total amount of story stuff/writing that I liked is probably no more then 30-45 cumulative minutes. It stayed buggy as hell right to the end, probably didn't go twenty minutes without seeing something buggy. But personally, even if they polished it to high hell and made the animations Naughty Dog tier, I'd still not like the game because I fundamentally hate 99% of the writing and the majority of the actual game design in this thing. Squandered potential at every turn. Awkward, stilted, emotionless writing. Ryder is a dry piece of cardboard. Most of the crew doesn't end up being interesting (Drack is very solid though). The main plot is generic modern game sci-fi. If you told me the last level was from a 343 Halo game, I'd have fully believed it. Copy paste design on the planets. "Go here, scan this, repeat" quest design everywhere. It just goes on and on.

I am so bummed out. The only way I come back to this game is if they do the Quarian Ark DLC and it reviews exceedingly well. Time to play Mass Effect 1 and 2 to wash this away.

Zesh

Finished the game. 97% completion, 75 hours, level 65, Insanity. Only skipped a few of the fetch quests in the Additional Tasks section.

Overall I quite enjoyed the game, but it definitely has issues and is very rough around the edges. Some more polish and ironing out of bugs would've been nice; this is definitely one of the most buggy AAA games I've ever played.

The highlights for me were the combat and the squad. I played as a Vanguard, and the mobility changes and freeform skill system make the combat better than ever. Some companions were duds, but I also quite liked a few, especially Jaal and Drack. The fact that companions move around the ship and interact with each other is a great feature.

The story was okay, but it retreaded way too much ground from the original games. Felt a bit like Force Awakens in that sense. Still, there are a bunch of open questions left, so I'd like to see a sequel (I hope we get one, after the critical and fan backlash against the game).

The open world exploration was a mixed bag for me. Some of the planets look pretty nice, but there wasn't much incentive to explore outside of just going from quest objective to quest objective. The side quests were a significant improvement narratively, but I disliked the gameplay design of them in that they force you to travel between multiple worlds to pad them out.

I'm finding it a bit hard to give the game a rating. Objectively, I think it's about a 7-7.5, but I felt like I enjoyed it more than that. Might be an 8/10 for me.

I've played ~7 hours so far, and after getting to know a little about the crew, I still don't know who to romance, I'm playing male Ryder, I can't choose between Cora, Peebee and Lexi (don't know if Lexi is possible to romance), what is the best storyline?

hydruxo

Holy shit the augmentations are so buggy. This is ridiculous. You equip one and go to equip the next and they don't even show up.

I've played ~7 hours so far, and after getting to know a little about the crew, I still don't know who to romance, I'm playing male Ryder, I can't choose between Cora, Peebee and Lexi (don't know if Lexi is possible to romance), what is the best storyline?
Lexi is
not a romance option.

She shoots you down straight away if you flirt with her on your first meeting.

Jaraghan

For those who are using biotics, what is your favorite skill set up right now? I'm playing exclusively soldier, but I might respec into pure biotics.

ViciousDS

Banned
*completes hitting the rocks for science*

Alright should get some good shit after all this time, tons of planets and time later into the story and everything

*gets 200 credits*

You know what

Fuck you Bioware, fuck you

nOoblet16

Holy shit the augmentations are so buggy. This is ridiculous. You equip one and go to equip the next and they don't even show up.
that's because you cannot equip the same mod types on one gun.

Nothing against you or your post but honestly it seems to me that people are quick to jump on this and say "Bug/glitches/writing/shit"etc lol

Zesh

*completes hitting the rocks for science*

Alright should get some good shit after all this time, tons of planets and time later into the story and everything

*gets 200 credits*

You know what

Fuck you Bioware, fuck you

Haha, yeah, I found that particularly amusing. I think the only collectathon-style quest that's worthwhile is the memories one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Everything that's happened with this game is such a shame. In the right light, even the character models look amazing.

masseffect_andromeda_ppuoo.png

A bit more work in the oven and having the primary ME team work on it instead of the team that made the multiplayer component would have done this game wonders.

Also, please ditch the DA: Inquisition game play template for the future games. Please.

I like everything about Havarhl. The fact that it isn't a 20 mile wide area, you can't even use the mako and the moody lighting and the contrasting bright fauna makes it a very different kind of place to play compared to the last 20 hours.

Finished the game this morning.

70 hours, level 55, 90% completion(skipped a lot of tasks)

Overall, I enjoyed it. Sure, it's unpolished, flawed, and the writing is all over the place... But I still had a blast, and played it non-stop.

Spoilers for the SAM node Ryder memory stuff don't click if you haven't unlocked at least half of them:
Wow. Just learned about the mysterious 'benefactor' behind the Initiative, and how Garson was actually murdered by someone. Now I really want to know what happened

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Does anybody know why my Ryder isn't appearing in the Mass Effect archives? I want to make sure he's uploaded and attached to my account and for some reason he isn't. I've even copied the look and started a new game with EXPORT turned on but foe some reason it's still not showing up.

Or does it take longer / it's not instant?
It's instant.

But you have to go into "My Heroes" section to set them as your default upload.

Confused me too, at first.

Laekon

30 hours in and only at 34% according to the save screen. I have 3 planets at over 70% (2 at 100%) so makes me wonder what the completion station includes. I like the game but it has so many issues. The most annoying are conversation scenes where a character multiples or the view is just of a wall.

Sioul

I was doing sidequest on
Voeld
and went to a
kett base
. Terrible experience in Insanity with enemies spawning in my face as soon as I enter a random room, also the lack of quicksaves and checkpoints 😑

Moff

22 hours in, I feel like this is one of the most boring games I ever played
I don't think ever played an RPG with so many tasks to do, but all of them bore me
the quest design is the worst thing about it, but there is also no sense of satisfaction for doing the sidequests.

Combat is easily the best part about Mass Effect Andromeda, some characters are kinda interesting, too.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I love about ME:A is how I can basically play it as Smartarse - The Game. It's consistently making me laugh with the smartass comments you can make to people and giving them a lot of cheek. I'm surprised noones called me a cunt and smacked me one yet :p Some of the emails are genuinely hilarious as well, laughed out loud at a good few of them.

Zesh

30 hours in and only at 34% according to the save screen. I have 3 planets at over 70% (2 at 100%) so makes me wonder what the completion station includes. I like the game but it has so many issues. The most annoying are conversation scenes where a character multiples or the view is just of a wall.

That's normal. The main story comprises a large portion of the completion percentage. I was basically 1:1 with completion to hours played as I was doing all of the side content, but it shot up once I actually proceeded with the main story.

X-Frame

Is there a reason why I've yet to see a Remnant weapon drop for me? I don't really know how far I am in the game so maybe they start dropping later, but I just
did the Hunting the Archon Priority quest where I rescued the Salarian Ark.

I'd love to craft some Remnant weapons but without me being able to test them out I don't want to waste the Research points.

Pepboy

Perhaps you haven't played enough to comment enough considering games are suppose to be taken as a whole especially when you compare 6 hours of one game to 3 full game's worth of experience ? It's generally agreed upon here in this thread that this is is one game that gets better over time. It's a classic for me too, I don't see anything here that makes it a worse game than previous ones..different but not worse. But that's me again.

Right, just like we can't judge dog shit by the smell or the first bite. You really need to make sure some small part isn't actually delicious chocolate! People are free to comment on whatever amount of the game they experienced, even if it was just the trailers.

And at least on this page, most people aren't saying it gets better. Some people liked it throughout but admit it stays buggy. Others could tell the writing and animation were decent at best but mostly terrible, and among those I don't see many saying it got tons better after hour 20.

Reszo

Lol I don't understand why you can't just get on the tempest while on the planet to like check your email. Why does it have to leave the whole planet.

For those who are using biotics, what is your favorite skill set up right now? I'm playing exclusively soldier, but I might respec into pure biotics.
Singularity, Lance and charge.

Singularity is great for getting rid of weak enemies, and damaging stronger ones. Charge is great for a final blow and to rush motherfuckers with a shotgun. And Lance is good for finishing off biotic combos or to kill off an enemy with a final biotic attack.

If you pour a lot of points into biotics your adept profile will eventually have more explosions to a biotic combo.

Biotics are great as well if you have Drak with you who catches enemies on fire, and you can do fire combos

Shouta

Avoiding anything with "Task" until the end on it is absolutely the best way to play the game, I think. They're really just bad fetch quests without anything interesting to them. The other quests at least have some elements to it either from a story/lore perspective or just doing something.

CSJ

Lol I don't understand why you can't just get on the tempest while on the planet to like check your email. Why does it have to leave the whole planet.

There are a lot of questionable design decisions here, or lack of time to flesh it out.
Whatever it is, it's not what I expected from such a company, but now I do :|

Avoiding anything with "Task" until the end on it is absolutely the best way to play the game, I think. They're really just bad fetch quests without anything interesting to them. The other quests at least have some elements to it either from a story/lore perspective or just doing something.

I agree, I also wonder how much of there other missions actually do anything to the main story, such as assignments, like the hacker mission.
What happens if I just avoid it? I don't really want to find out! :p

abundant

If you want to become a Biotic God, choose Nova + Charge + Annihilation + Vanguard Profile. It basically turns the game into easy mode, even on Insanity.

Top Bottom