• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Chalk me up as seemingly one of the few who quite likes the slow galaxy map. I don't even think it's that slow. I like the real time transition between celestial bodies. I like that it's all rendered with depth in 3D. I like that I can jump from one system to another, fly towards a planet, and boot myself out of the map to see said planet from my window. I personally feel the real time streaming and sense of presence is very effective and not cumbersome in its speed.

I was initially against it but I like it a lot now. But it helps that I'm not really jumping around much so I have more dedicated moments to use it and then get into a planet for awhile.

The camera zoom in/zoom out is pretty jarring at first though.

Freeman76

Once they sort the performance out on PS4 PRO this is going down as a classic for me. Love the fact it has so many little optional tasks as well as main story stuff etc.

Back when I played the original trilogy I always wanted more to do, and less focus on always progressing the story. Very happy with what they have done with the franchise now Im 10 hours in or so, just the performance issues pissing me off.

Staf

I think Gears 4 has nailed third person cover and shooter mechanics perfectly. Would play so much better rather than the wonky controls during cqc we have now if ME:A emulated that. The combat is fluid though.

The combat is fluid. But you have no idea if something is behind you until it hits you since you have the skyrim minimap. Combining that with you constantly being unsure whether you are in cover or not and enemies who just rushes it turns into a mess imo.

But to be fair, i haven't liked the combat in any of the mass effect games so i may not be the best judge.

Acorn

I think Gears 4 has nailed third person cover and shooter mechanics perfectly. Would play so much better rather than the wonky controls during cqc we have now if ME:A emulated that. The combat is fluid though.
I really dislike the wonky auto cover. I wish games would stop doing that. Button>auto

Freeman76

The combat is fluid. But you have no idea if something is behind you until it hits you since you have the skyrim minimap. Combining that with you constantly being unsure whether you are in cover or not and enemies who just rushes it turns into a mess imo.

But to be fair, i haven't liked the combat in any of the mass effect games so i may not be the best judge.

You dont seem happy with anything about this game man why dont you shelve it and admit defeat lol

Plasma

Banned
I still don't get why they removed the option to let you command a teammate to use an ability they should have just made it so if you pushed left/right on the d-pad they used a power but if you held it that would make them move to another position.

Staf

You dont seem happy with anything about this game man why dont you shelve it and admit defeat lol

Because i really liked the previous games damnit lol. I do like some of the side-quests and characters. But mostly because i'm stubborn as fuck when i pay full price for a game.

Freeman76

Because i really liked the previous games damnit lol. I do like some of the side-quests and characters. But mostly because i'm stubborn as fuck when i pay full price for a game.

If you really liked the previous games I dont see how you can really dislike this so much, its not hugely different.

If you have decided to play it regardless why not just appreciate the experience as much as you can. Hating something only hurts you.

bati

I AM A BIOTIC GOD

Should edit in some Metal Gear Rising music, but I'm lazy.

E: practically no spoilers, one line about a sidequest I'm doing there

What difficulty is that?

Also, anyone tried both full tech (engineer) or full adept on Insanity? Which one worked better? I'm currently a techie but I feel like respeccing because I want to make full use of the N7 gear (it's the only way to roll, let's face it).

If you really liked the previous games I dont see how you can really dislike this so much, its not hugely different.

If you have decided to play it regardless why not just appreciate the experience as much as you can. Hating something only hurts you.

What was acceptable 5 - 7 years ago isn't necessarily acceptable now. I don't get why you want to stifle criticism of this game ? The game clearly has issues and there are plenty of short comings and changes to the Mass Effect "formula" that are going to cause problems with ME fans.

megalowho

20 or so hours in and having a real up and down time with this game. Opening hours soured me on it heavily before starting to get invested exploring Eos. Crew filled out, the Nexus opened up, the other race gets involved and you see some progress. Was able to put aside my issues for the most part and enjoy some Mass Effect.

But now that the planet surface gameplay loop is established I've started wavering again. Already found myself going through the motions on the second planet, the third is prettier but the sense of wonder is absent. More than half of these Additional Tasks quests are checklist fluff that actively take away from the illusion of frontier discovery. Just icons on a map to clear out for forgettable NPC's with familiar problems.

The tech issue that's bothering me the most now is the sensitive targeting radius, it's worse than Witcher 3 pre-patch. Just let me hit triangle without hunting for the sweet spot. The nagging feeling of Mass Effect madlibs still hasn't gone away and there are few opportunities for actual roleplaying. Also lukewarm on the crew mid-game but still have most of the relationship missions to do. Feels like they're cramming in Citadel-style fanservice for characters that haven't had a chance to grow past their archetypes and exposition dialogue. Jaal is the exception, I keep that dude around.

Favorite moment so far:
Finding the ancient Angara AI on Voeld, letting it kill and then bringing it back to the ship. Of course now it wants to robo-fuck SAM, because BioWare.

Tacitus_

What difficulty is that?

Also, anyone tried both full tech (engineer) or full adept on Insanity? Which one worked better? I'm currently a techie but I feel like respeccing because I want to make full use of the N7 gear (it's the only way to roll, let's face it).

The 2nd hardest. Hardcore I think?

I agree with this. Without being able to pause and see the radar, you have no defense against being flanked. And boy do these enemies love to flank!

Vanguards don't give a shit about being flanked. Or cover. Or about anything, really. Just steamrolling through everything.

Tacitus_

I apologize for tooting my own horn so much, but Asari Sword Vanguard is so damn good

giphy.gif

CoolNumber9

Just over 10 hours in and I am really liking it!! I'm a big of the original. I never got soured on the games. I never read into too much of the ending. I really enjoyed all 3. So far I'm having just as much fun with andromeda. So for I like all the characters and the story. I've not encountered any bugs yet. I agree the animation is not the best in cut scenes but honestly that doesn't bother me any either. I think our quality bar has been raised as of late. They could have used some more time on that for sure but its not been deal breaking by any stretch. I like the movement animation, l how he plants his foot when you cut sharp or something, feels nice. Played for about 5 hours last night and had a hard time putting it down to go to bed. Also playing it on a pro in 4k HDR looks really nice!!

megalowho

If only the planets were atleast rotating in their axis.
I like that it gives a sense of presence but they could have sped up the transitions in places, for example when you select a planet it zooms in on it then zooms out, that's unnecessary, the slow camera turn when you select something else could also have beens ped up.
That's my take too. At first I thought my issue was with the travel time, but just getting into it a little quicker and axing the final zoom out would make it smoother while still keeping the feeling they're going for.

Never played MP in the trilogy and just done my 1st few games in ME:A.

Great fun and managed a few full extractions. Never realised the standard soldier grenade isn't that bad.

Freeman76

What was acceptable 5 - 7 years ago isn't necessarily acceptable now. I don't get why you want to stifle criticism of this game ? The game clearly has issues and there are plenty of short comings and changes to the Mass Effect "formula" that are going to cause problems with ME fans.

Follow the thread before you talk nonsense, I have my own critisicms of the game. This is a typical post from a person who doesnt read anything and just dives in to have a dig without knowing wtf you are on about.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think the zoom in/zoom out on the planets was mostly put there to have a nice shot for those wanting a new desktop wallpaper lol.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm enjoying it but not that far through it so far, so don't know if the story elements I not feeling just haven't been elaborated on yet.

Story wise I'm not a big fan of their reasoning for the whole thing currently,
they thought they would just build some giant ships and jump over to Andromeda because exploration and why nots. Just feels like they are ignoring the events of the first series entirely, I'd assume the people in the know for the Andromeda Initiative would have known of the Reaper threat and took it seriously, just seems like a massive chunk of universe lore to ignore. I also hope them stating that the Quarian and other races Ark didn't leave on time is going to bring some of this lore with them, a whole we left late but as we did the Reapers came in and blew everything up, good thing we did this whole Andromeda thing.

Besides story stuff the mechanics seem great, the general animations that people are making a fuss of don't bother me, it just feels like previous Mass Effects, they were hardly the shining light of making characters look natural. This was the serious that in its third entry didn't let you holster your weapon because they couldn't make it fit in. Overall though I'm enjoying it, just wish I had more time to sit and have a good long session of playing like I had when the original trilogy came out.

To note though their PlayStation Pro implementation seems, well, like they didn't really do anything for 1080p users. Is it being super sampled at all? there's still a lot of shimmering and blocky edges of in game characters and objects.

Follow the thread before you talk nonsense, I have my own critisicms of the game. This is a typical post from a person who doesnt read anything and just dives in to have a dig without knowing wtf you are on about.

What nonsense was I talking about ? The guy has clear issues with the game and wants to air them all you want to do is shut him up with a typical "GTFO" comment just like you are basically telling me to "GTFO".

He clearly has issues and grievances with the game and he wants to air and discuss them. Personally your quoted post was a typical post of someone that wants to shut down all negative discussion of the game. But you know what fine, well done, you win I shall vacate the topic.

CSJ

Oh my god shit like this keeps happening, you get a mission to give a message to someone and after delivering it you get two options.

1: Go back to who sent you.
2: Tell the recipient to go do it themselves as it's not my job.

Pick #2 and still have to go back.
GAME, COME ON. LOGIC. USE IT.

nOoblet16

Oh my god shit like this keeps happening, you get a mission to give a message to someone and after delivering it you get two options.

I think people should avoid the side quests under "Additional Tasks" as much as possible, while a lot of them do provide some world building and exposition they are still just fetch/scan quests that do stuff that you describe.

The side quests under Heleus Assignments, and Allies and Relationships are on the same level as main quests quality wise so they are much better designed.

Freeman76

Avoiding tasks until/if you are wanting more optional content helps

JayB1920

Yeah, the side quests are fucking awful. Drive across the planet to fight a couple guys and then return for your reward and a line of dialogue. In this post-TW3 world that shit just doesn't cut it for optional content.

I think I'm just gonna stick to the main quest and loyalty missions, and maybe the odd side quest that sounds fun in the area. I just hate traveling all over the globe using that terrible map.

I guess I'm enjoying the story and decisions enough where some of the traveling doesn't bother me. The quests themselves aren't bad and definitely a step above DAI. The Kett base and fexploring the hidden cave after on Voeld was great imo. Witcher 3 quests werent anything special from a gameplay standpoint so I don't get how they are the gold standard.

Jharp

My Havarl viability is stuck at 78% and so far as I can tell, I've done everything. Any idea what I could be missing?

JayB1920

I think people should avoid the side quests under "Additional Tasks" as much as possible, while a lot of them do provide some world building and exposition they are still just fetch/scan quests that do stuff that you describe.

The side quests under Heleus Assignments, and Allies and Relationships are on the same level as main quests quality wise so they are much better designed.

I'm doing most of the tasks because I'm enjoying my time with most of it but I agree most should skip them for the good stuff. Some of the Helius Assignments have been fantastic with great narratives and decision making.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The game definitely feels more like Mass Effect once you get to Voeld (I'm guess same if you pick the other planet to explore first).

I've spent a bunch of time there, got it up to 97% viability before even going back to the ship to talk to the Resistance leader and progress the story. The Kett base was surprisingly big. Downside was the checkpoints are awful there, lost like 30 minutes of progress after dying twice, played uber carefully/conservatively after that to not waste time. So they really need to work on checkpoints--tons of obvious places for them with different phases of that mission with activating terminals, waves of battles etc.

Also had my first bad graphical glitch with a dialogue scene on the ship having double Jaal present.

In any case, I'm around 22 hours in and enjoying the game a lot not. Still undecided on build. Respected to focus on biopics and push/pull/singularity specifically as I wasn't finding much use for the solidier abilities. Kind of liked Vanguard too though. In any case, have those maxed so will put points back into assault rifles and sniper rifles going forward for a bit as I'm liking those weapons combined with those biotic powers.

Jharp

Have you done the vault? I was missing that my first time there and had a similar experience.

I keep confusing vaults and monoliths. I think I've done them all, but maybe not? I did all of the Dying Planet quest, as well as the main quest for helping the Scientists. I helped the Roekar dude.

Go do the main quest until new stuff unlocks? A bunch of stuff is gated behind progressing that or the other major quests.

Yeah I suppose I'll have to come back to it. That must be it.

CSJ

I keep confusing vaults and monoliths. I think I've done them all, but maybe not? I did all of the Dying Planet quest, as well as the main quest for helping the Scientists. I helped the Roekar dude.

Yeah I suppose I'll have to come back to it. That must be it.

I literally just left the planet and landed again and it had a few more things.

Stiler

Have they limited how low of a cd you can get on powers?

In the older ME games you could carry one weapon that was light and get a 200% recharge increase. This was a godsend for people who focused on biotic powers (charge/nova). You could literally charge/nova spam and with the right skills have it up one after the other, it was glorious and how I played my character.

In this game it seems that they limit it to 100% maximum based on weight so far.

Now I'm stuck on trying to pick a waeapon type. Anyone recommend the best weapon type for biotic focused vanguard?

Zesh

Have they limited how low of a cd you can get on powers?

In the older ME games you could carry one weapon that was light and get a 200% recharge increase. This was a godsend for people who focused on biotic powers (charge/nova). You could literally charge/nova spam and with the right skills have it up one after the other, it was glorious and how I played my character.

In this game it seems that they limit it to 100% maximum based on weight so far.

Now I'm stuck on trying to pick a waeapon type. Anyone recommend the best weapon type for biotic focused vanguard?

You should still use a shotgun and something else for long range. You can carry multiple guns and still have 100% recharge rate.

He's right though. Mass effect doesn't do anything new either. I'm disappointed in the game after just 6 hours in. It's the worst ME of the series by far.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You should still use a shotgun and something else for long range. You can carry multiple guns and still have 100% recharge rate.

Shotgun with a melee mod is the best for vanguards yeah. I use that remnant shotgun that quickly recharge, so i never need to reload or worry about ammo.

Once they sort the performance out on PS4 PRO this is going down as a classic for me. Love the fact it has so many little optional tasks as well as main story stuff etc.

Back when I played the original trilogy I always wanted more to do, and less focus on always progressing the story. Very happy with what they have done with the franchise now Im 10 hours in or so, just the performance issues pissing me off.

Classic? Lol. You must have a low bar man. Coming from Zelda, Horizon and Nier this a downgrade. It has the worst dialogue of the series so far and even more janky than the previous games. Hopefully it gets better after the 10 hour trial. Highly disappointed so far though

Top Bottom