• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Nemesis_

Does anybody know why my Ryder isn't appearing in the Mass Effect archives? I want to make sure he's uploaded and attached to my account and for some reason he isn't. I've even copied the look and started a new game with EXPORT turned on but foe some reason it's still not showing up.

Or does it take longer / it's not instant?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
What's everyone favorite team members for combat? I've been having a hard time deciding on a couple of different pairs.

I'm loving Jaal and Drack combo, although my favourite for banter is Cora and Drack.

Drack just wrecks everyone, even on Hardcore :D

LightInfa

Just killed my first Architect and it really feels like the game is finally clicking for me- I went into this game basically hoping for DAI in space, and for the most part it hasn't been DAI good but the Architect fight was probably better than any single gameplay moment in DAI - exhilarating, nerve-wracking, challenging. Combat overall is so much better - yes it's less tactical because you can't control teammates, but the combos are far more intuitive and satisfying and winning encounters feels far more the result of effort/skill than just holding R2 (and honestly even on Nightmare you rarely ever needed to directly control companions in Inquisition because so few encounters were actually challenging). I've been impressed by the sheer amount of companions + major NPCs whose arcs and agendas I have to juggle against each other (and my own). Whereas in Inquisition I had my party companions and my Skyhold council - here I have party companions, Tempest crew, and Initiative leaders on the Nexus, and as usual character writing remains a strength for Bioware.

On the other hand, I have to say I'm super disappointed by the worlds compared to DAI so far. It just doesn't feel like exploration is at all interesting/rewarding - yes the areas are larger but they are even more one note and just filled with literally copy-pasted encounters rather than the hand-crafted nooks and crannies I enjoyed finding in DAI. I understand narratively why all these worlds are so barren, but I'm not sure it was such a good idea to build the narrative around an idea that was going to severely impoverish the major gameplay environments.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's not necessarily the storylines themselves it's the way they do it. So much back and forth on a giant ass planet gets so fucking boring. I think the spaces are way too damn big. Everything repeats itself too......hey look a kett crew in guessing I need to scan an object which starts a quest to scan 1 more object and then destroy 2. After which will lead me to a smaller vault with loot at the bottom.

Yeah, the side quests are fucking awful. Drive across the planet to fight a couple guys and then return for your reward and a line of dialogue. In this post-TW3 world that shit just doesn't cut it for optional content.

I think I'm just gonna stick to the main quest and loyalty missions, and maybe the odd side quest that sounds fun in the area. I just hate traveling all over the globe using that terrible map.

I've sucked the game dry of all content except the last few main missions I'm guessing. Playing this has been a blast and I don't want to finish it but I'm excited to see how it ends.

Lots of smaller quests with potentially large consequences has been my favourite part of the game. Since Mass Effect Archive is tracking all this it'll be great to see those conclusions in the next game.

And in terms of favourite squadmates ranked.

1. Drack
2. Cora
3. Vetra
4. Jaal
5. Liam
6. Pelessaria (thankfully Dr. Lexi exists so we have at least one cool Asari on board)

jrcbandit

I'm not very far into the games, but is the UI really so horribly designed for inventory management? At the store to purchase weapons, it doesn't actually show you what you already have equipped for comparison.... Also, I'm only limited to 50 inventory items to begin with so I wanted to sell the weapons I currently have equipped so I can use the new ones I just bought, but there is no way to sell items you have equipped or equip items yourself outside some special designated areas (I assume weapon lockers located god knows where). Ridiculous oversights for a 2017 RPG.

Can the weapon mods you pick up be used on your companion weapons or are you limited to only weapons used by Ryder? I'm only going to use shotguns and assault rifles so I don't need pistol/sniper mods.

foxdvd

What's everyone favorite team members for combat? I've been having a hard time deciding on a couple of different pairs.

On Insanity I have come to love Cora...she is a must for me. Her shield skill is amazing..gets you out of trouble...and she uses it on you all the time. It also heals you very well once you rank it all the way up. She also has cryo ammo on full time once you level her up.

After that, I just change them up.

Staf

So i've been playing engineer since the start. Thinking of giving adept a try, what 3 powers would you recommend to use?

Trickster

Lmao, I'm watching the various romance scenes out of curiousity. The Cora scene has the best character animations of the entire fucking game.

Dialogue is cringey as fuck though. But that seems to be for all of them so far

Edit - Okay they don't all have completely cringeworthy dialogue

Dammit, I have 3 quests that are bugged out that is preventing me from getting 100% completion in MEA. 77 hours it took me to get to 98%. God I love this game.

Trickster

My GF absolutely loves the romance parts of these games. Is it good this time round, or does the weird animation ruin it?

It varies wildly from what I've seen. Both in terms of content, but also animation.

Cora's seem to be a significant step above any of the others.

Don't touch Liam with a ten feet pole is you want good animation though, looks like something a fan with no experience did in SFM

Wallach

When I heard about that, I thought "that's going to be awesome, I'll use that a lot," but with the setup I have, I have no reason to change anything... I can handle any situation well with incinerate+energy drain+overload.

Kinda feel the same way as an Engineer, though I run the turret instead of ED. Incinerate and Overload are just super good. I don't know what I'd use the other profiles for.

Bittercup

My GF absolutely loves the romance parts of these games. Is it good this time round, or does the weird animation ruin it?
I don't mind the animations too much. Some scenes are still very cute.
What I really like is that this time it's not just talk, talk, talk, sex, game over but instead they have more individual scenes and continue afterwards as well. And some are more casual, some are more serious in the dialogues. Feels a lot more natural.
But it's pretty obvious that the budget wasn't spent even remotely evenly between the characters.

In multiplayer, should you quit the game if you die or is there a reason to stay on?
Other players can revive you if the timer hasn't run out and you can revive yourself with items as well and if the team survives the round you will be revived next round automatically.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does it explain why the Asari
arks name is written on it in
english though? :p

checkmate sir.

Arguably Andromade was a primarily human-led initiative, no, with Garson? So they probably built the ships and put the name in English on it. Or just declared everything had to be in English. Who knows.

pmj

Other players can revive you if the timer hasn't run out and you can revive yourself with items as well and if the team survives the round you will be revived next round automatically.
Thanks. I just found the multiplayer thread so I'll read up on how it all works there. Sounds like it's all a bit busted.

Every time I level up, they play the first NOTE of Vigil. It gives me terrible longing for a good soundtrack.
The music is underwhelming overall, but I found the combat music to be pretty nice overall, and the snowy planet has some great ambient synth going on.

That moment when there's no music at all and Ryder is making soft breathing sound.

It adds to the atmosphere, especially in that particular infiltration mission.

nOoblet16

Does it explain why the Asari
arks name is written on it in
english though? :p

checkmate sir.

Maybe they've got a universal visual translator too

Arguably Andromade was a primarily human-led initiative, no, with Garson? So they probably built the ships and put the name in English on it. Or just declared everything had to be in English. Who knows.

I mean we have this technology available today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06olHmcJjS0

Universal translation tool is a thing in ME universe.

I am surprised at how often this question is remarked. Guess nobody reads the codex in the original trilogy, lol.

yes. but i've yet to see an explanation of how it manages to make the speaker's lips move in co-ordination with the translation :) ...

Putty

Well, i picked this up yesterday afternoon, and sorry to say i've listed on Amazon UK...It's such a disappointment on so many levels....Coming off the back of Horizon...Problems are simply blown up further...Performance on PS4 Pro isn't ideal and there's some awful input lag...anims, faces etc etc are real let downs (not unexpected of course but still)...V/O is also pretty bad...not so much the writing, more the delivery...This has released 6 months to early but even then...major problems are fundamentals that are not easily fixed...

8(

Tovarisc

So anyone here think that the one of the DLC will be related to the
Benefactor

Considering how obviously that whole story arc about
Ryder family, AI and Benefactor
is just cut so it can be sold as DLC I'm very surprised if that doesn't happen. I was so disappointed in how that quest ended.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chalk me up as seemingly one of the few who quite likes the slow galaxy map. I don't even think it's that slow. I like the real time transition between celestial bodies. I like that it's all rendered with depth in 3D. I like that I can jump from one system to another, fly towards a planet, and boot myself out of the map to see said planet from my window. I personally feel the real time streaming and sense of presence is very effective and not cumbersome in its speed.

Staf

Wow, don't think i've ever played a more annoying bullet sponged enemy than the
kett cardinal
. Whiped after about 15 minute fight... Playing on hardcore, might lower it because that fight is bullshit.

nOoblet16

Chalk me up as seemingly one of the few who quite likes the slow galaxy map. I don't even think it's that slow. I like the real time transition between celestial bodies. I like that it's all rendered with depth in 3D. I like that I can jump from one system to another, fly towards a planet, and boot myself out of the map to see said planet from my window. I personally feel the real time streaming and sense of presence is very effective and not cumbersome in its speed.
If only the planets were atleast rotating in their axis.
I like that it gives a sense of presence but they could have sped up the transitions in places, for example when you select a planet it zooms in on it then zooms out, that's unnecessary, the slow camera turn when you select something else could also have beens ped up.

I just can't seem to give a fuck about the Angarans. They're just so boring and one dimensional.
We've had three games with a whole range of alien races, who have now seemingly been relegated to side characters. Shame.

nOoblet16

I just can't seem to give a fuck about the Angarans. They're just so boring and one dimensional.
We've had three games with a whole range of alien races, who have now seemingly been relegated to side characters. Shame.
They've always been side characters except for Saren, it's always been about humanity first and this is the first game where they are focusing so much on a race other than humanity with the Angarans. You still have the Asaris and Salarians and Turians in important roles here as before.

Acorn

Yep these ship animations are infuriating when trying to scan shit. It surely can't be to mask loading for what is 99.9% of the time just a render of a planet with a paragraph or nonsense.

For a few hours of the game I actually thought
the kett are humans from the milky way galaxy because of a few datapads I picked up. The senate structure of the kett and no Milky Way communications received. Then I finished the exaltation mission and was a little disappointed.

From a purely aesthetic point of view I think my favourite world is Elaaden. At times it genuinely looked like I was walking around in a Syd Mead picture. But then again Mass Effect borrows very heavily from Syd Mead so it's no surprise.

Psoelberg

I really like it too. It gives a great sense on actually being there. It's more immersive and it almost feel meditative with the music and the small info bits of each planet. But I guess, if you're seeing the different planets as check marks you have to visit to check them of the list, I can see why the transitions can feel slow. I would probably see them as check marks too - if it wasn't for the transitions and being able to see the planets from the window. The whole point of this game - for me - is the feeling of commanding a ship, flying through space, learning about and visiting planets. I think the galaxy map does a great job of strengthening that feeling.

Madness

The combat really is terrible in tight spaces.

I think Gears 4 has nailed third person cover and shooter mechanics perfectly. Would play so much better rather than the wonky controls during cqc we have now if ME:A emulated that. The combat is fluid though.

Top Bottom