• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Avoiding anything with "Task" until the end on it is absolutely the best way to play the game, I think. They're really just bad fetch quests without anything interesting to them. The other quests at least have some elements to it either from a story/lore perspective or just doing something.

30 hours in I'm loving in haven't done a single task.

nOoblet16

For those who are using biotics, what is your favorite skill set up right now? I'm playing exclusively soldier, but I might respec into pure biotics.
I had two different profiles set up

1) Adept Profile - Pull, Throw and Charge/Lance
2) Explorer Profile - Singularity, Lance and Cloak

The reason I use cloak and explorer is because it allows me to use my Blackwidow sniper rifle with maximum damage possible, especially since I also wear the Maverick set for headshot damage.

The remnant SMG Equalizer is GOAT

God damn I love this gun. Chews right through motherfuckers.

Mod it with electricity aug and you get auto aim..lol

I like Cora better than Miranda. Come at me. Lol

No one will because she is better than Miranda and Ashley both

nOoblet16

Avoiding anything with "Task" until the end on it is absolutely the best way to play the game, I think. They're really just bad fetch quests without anything interesting to them. The other quests at least have some elements to it either from a story/lore perspective or just doing something.

Not all Tasks are bad, some are ok actually and they do provide some lore at times

diaspora

I like Cora but she can be off-putting to people in that she's like an Asari Otaku. I half expected her to go "I don't know what you know about Asari culture (I'm an expert)".

Do I miss anything unique if I don't bring Jaal to the 2nd and 3rd mission planets? Not sure if I like the character and debating leaving him on the ship. Thanks

I just found a fun bug.

On the PS4 version, if I press the Share button to take a screenshot, until the screenshot icon appears on screen whenever I use the dash (circle button) instead of the jetpack sound it does the XMB changing menus sound lol

nOoblet16

I'm personally going for Vetra.

She's available for both Male and Female Ryder. So is PeeBee.

Cora is exclusively for male Ryder.
And Suvi is exclusively for FemRyder. But who is the Gay option for Male Ryder? Gill?

Do I miss anything unique if I don't bring Jaal to the 2nd and 3rd mission planets? Not sure if I like the character and debating leaving him on the ship. Thanks

You'll always miss some dialogues and exposition if you don't bring someone. I always brought Jaal because it's his native system so he has a lot to comment on...and he also has questions for other members.

I think I'd enjoy the space travel transitions more if they weren't so low res, static, two-dimensional, etc. It's like, I'm trying hard to ignore the game's many visual flaws, but then they force me to repeatedly zoom in on a horribly muddled/pixelated planet or the galaxy "skybox" and, just, eugh. Please stop.

Kurumi

Yeah. The moment I saw those task quests pop up and did a couple they were an instant skip.

Denzel

Are biotics just horrendous in this game? Playing on insanity and biotics don't do anything for me, so I switched to tactical cloak,
Remnant VI
, and Overcharge.

nOoblet16

So Angarans are basically cat people right?

I think I'd enjoy the space travel transitions more if they weren't so low res, static, two-dimensional, etc. It's like, I'm trying hard to ignore the game's many visual flaws, but then they force me to repeatedly zoom in on a horribly muddled/pixelated planet or the galaxy "skybox" and, just, eugh. Please stop.

But they are not really 2D, you can't have transitions like that with 2D models. Specifically because you can also see all of that from your ship's windows. I think it's the DoF that makes it pixelated
Are biotics just horrendous in this game? Playing on insanity and biotics don't do anything for me, so I switched to tactical cloak,
Remnant VI
, and Overcharge.

You need to use combos, they do massive damage

Cora Harper said:
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Asari culture (I'm an expert), but biotics and the progression of maidenhood are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Earth where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Thessia, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to mate with an Elcor.

What this means is the Asari public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to colonize an outpost in Heleus or fight the Kett. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but the Initiative has alienated an entire race with this move.

Director Tann, publicly apologize and focus all efforts on finding the Asari Ark or kiss your Initiative goodbye.

Yeah she's really well-written.

nOoblet16

The take off and landing videos, damn.. wish we could remove them so it would skip playing it. That's be a start...

That is one thing I don't believe is really possible, because those are loading screens basically. If not that then you'll stare at a black loading screen. BUT in some cases the game is already loaded by the time you see the ship from the surface and you have to wait for like 3-4 seconds for it to slowly hover and land. In most cases though those are FMV videos obviously masking loading times.

The galaxy map however, that could be sped up considerably and there is no reason for it to be so slow.

Zesh

Remnant VI
, and Overcharge.

From my experience, Adepts aren't particularly good on Insanity; Vanguards do much better for biotics. I think losing Warp hurt them quite a bit, and biotic combos feel very underwhelming on Insanity.

CSJ

That is one thing I don't believe is really possible, because those are loading screens basically. If not that then you'll stare at a black loading screen. BUT in some cases the game is already loaded by the time you see the ship from the surface and you have to wait for like 3-4 seconds for it to slowly hover and land. In most cases though those are FMV videos obviously masking loading times.

The galaxy map however, that could be sped up considerably and there is no reason for it to be so slow.

It could be possible, in other games instead of masking the load (and taking longer, when the game is already loaded) it just has a black screen until it's done. You can test loading times from a main menu to the exact same location as landing from space, soooooooo much quicker.
Other games, amazingly let you skip it once the game is loaded.

They fucked up here.

Edit: Holy shit, I actually tried something, spammed space during the movie and it actually skipped it early on, there's just no pop up or anything to say you can.

The take off and landing videos, damn.. wish we could remove them so it would skip playing it. That's be a start...

From what I have watched if you return to your ship you have to take off, you can't just enter it and do stuff then leave again while staying on the planet.

I liked that in ME1, if you wanted to change gear or crew you could return to the normandy and swap stuff out then run back to where you were, it was extremely handy.

So Angarans are basically cat people right?

But they are not really 2D, you can't have transitions like that with 2D models. Specifically because you can also see all of that from your ship's windows. I think it's the DoF that makes it pixelated

You need to use combos, they do massive damage

I'd say the planets and asteroids/comets are obviously three-dimensional, but not much else is. And when your ship engages it's warp drive, the screen zooms in on the system skybox too close for my liking.

It's all very immersion breaking to me. If you're going to force me to look at something over and over, at least make sure it looks damn good. I'd much rather have gotten loading screens with some nice concept art.

nOoblet16

It could be possible, in other games instead of masking the load (and taking longer, when the game is already loaded) it just has a black screen until it's done. You can test loading times from a main menu to the exact same location as landing from space, soooooooo much quicker.
Well there's the thing that going from main menu to game the game does not has to empty the existing level from memory first, now in most cases games will have shared assets so the loading is quicker when going from one area to another but what if you are going from the Tempest to say Elaaden or vice versa? I'm not quite sure how it works though, it probably doesn't even matter.

Other games, amazingly let you skip it once the game is loaded.

They fucked up here.
Yes this is exactly what they should have done, let me skip the stupid animation as soon as its loaded.

I'd say the planets and asteroids/comets are obviously three-dimensional, but not much else is. And when your ship engages it's warp drive, the screen zooms in on the system skybox too close for my liking.

It's all very immersion breaking to me. If you're going to force me to look at something over and over, at least make sure it looks damn good. I'd much rather have gotten loading screens with some nice concept art.

The dust and scourge are 3D too, the distant stars are obviously 2D.

xealo

For those who are using biotics, what is your favorite skill set up right now? I'm playing exclusively soldier, but I might respec into pure biotics.

Pull/lance/backlash.

That last one have been absolutely essential to playing an adept on Insanity, it's saved my ass so many times.

nOoblet16

From what I have watched if you return to your ship you have to take off, you can't just enter it and do stuff then leave again while staying on the planet.

I liked that in ME1, if you wanted to change gear or crew you could return to the normandy and swap stuff out then run back to where you were, it was extremely handy.
You can change squadmates, loadout from forward stations. You can also do R&D from the planets itself without going back to the tempest.

The only thing that you can't do outside of The Tempest is change your casual outfit and paint your outfits.

Alucrid

Banned
anyone know how to solve the puzzle on H-047c?

the remnant one where you open the doors with the VI and get a console with the glowing light thing behind it. i found four of them, each with 1, 2, 3 and 4 lights behind them. i assume that you need to use the console the same number of times as lights that are behind them, but it only seems right for 1 and 2. when i get to 3 and 4 no matter what order i do it seems to fail.

chaislip3

anyone know how to solve the puzzle on H-047c?

the remnant one where you open the doors with the VI and get a console with the glowing light thing behind it. i found four of them, each with 1, 2, 3 and 4 lights behind them. i assume that you need to use the console the same number of times as lights that are behind them, but it only seems right for 1 and 2. when i get to 3 and 4 no matter what order i do it seems to fail.

Just hit each console once in that order

You can change squadmates, loadout from forward stations. You can also do R&D from the planets itself without going back to the tempest.

The only thing that you can't do outside of The Tempest is change your casual outfit and paint your outfits.

This is good to know

*clicks planet*

*ship slowly travels there*

*arrive way too close to planet*

*wait like 3 seconds for it to zoom back out*

JUST WHY.

It's a cool effect and looks pretty but there really should be a skip option for those things.

Trickster

Is it me or the music in the game is too damn low?

Yeah you can hardly hear it most of the time.

The soundtrack is also completely forgetable. I litterally can't remember any of the soundtrack, I finished the game yesterday. But I can sure as hell remember Nier's, which I played before Andromeda :p

xam3l

Yeah you can hardly hear it most of the time.

The soundtrack is also completely forgetable. I litterally can't remember any of the soundtrack, I finished the game yesterday. But I can sure as hell remember Nier's, which I played before Andromeda :p

I disagree tho. :p Everything I've heard is fucking fantastic. Thats why its a shame the score is underused and so low most of the time. The start menu and galaxy theme both have the punch to be as iconic as the sounds of the OT.

I would love that they could patch something around this.

UberLevi

I'm getting CTDs when walking into the Docking Area of the Nexus now. Happened 4 times so far and I'm not sure how to fix it. It's keeping me from progressing Drack's loyalty mission.

I'm getting CTDs when walking into the Docking Area of the Nexus now. Happened 4 times so far and I'm not sure how to fix it. It's keeping me from progressing Drack's loyalty mission.
Do you have a mission called Contagious or Contagion? I had that mission and there's a point where you go back to the docking bay because the person you're looking for takes a shuttle. At that point the game always ctd's for me. So I went to a previous save and now I'm not touching that mission. And I have completed Drack's mission too.

Top Bottom