• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Toa TAK

Banned
So at the credits right now,
Aurora, huh?
and I gotta say, while I don't think the game is all that great, the writing and animations especially, it's a fun game. I ended up doing a a bunch of side quests, the loyalty missions for everyone and putting outposts on each of the four planets. The finale was a rush and easily the best one since the Suicide Mission (although you can't do worse than ME3's Earth finale).

I'm pretty excited to see what's new in the after game, if there is anything.

Was a bit disappointed in the soundtrack, felt like it just blended into the background more than anything.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished.. So many mixed feelings ..

They didn't recycle the drinking animation but reused ME3's Shepard dance animation ..

giphya3uve.gif

A blanket score would be 7/10 for the game if I had to give one.

- The last mission was so good. Seemed like most of the development time and effort went into it. The mission and epilogue did a better job sympathizing the squad more than the rest of the game.

- Somehow I lucked into a scenario where both Peebee and Cora sent me sexy time invitations at the same time and neither ever confronted me or asked for exclusivity. But then at the end the game sort of just forced Peebee as the canon love interest.

- Very minor spoiler (?)
The data terminal entry about the Quarian Ark,
such a fucking DLC tease.

- Can someone explain what happened at the end fight ?
Am I right to assume they sort of overloaded the Archon with remnant energy and fried his brain ? I didn't catch what exactly happened there.

- The last area ..
is literallyHalo
.. lol

- Why is Lexi not a romance option ? Come the fuck on ..

Overall, eagerly looking forward to whatever Bioware announce on the 4th. I absolutely do not regret buying this game for full price but their announcement will play a key part in whether I keep my copy or resell it.

Also, Vetra is the best.

Tempest out !

X-Frame

For whatever reason, you have to go into a config file and boost music volume up to like 200% just to hear it.

This has to be a bug.

Beside the galaxy map music, I can't remember a single piece of music so far as anything memorable. Hopefully the extremely low volume or music and/or lack of music entirely from certain sections is a bug and patched.

Vamphuntr

Even still ..
it's just a verbal mention of Shepard and the reaper thread
. No voice recording from Shepard or anything of that nature.

In one of the early trailer for the game, Shepard was sending a message to the AI crew. Not sure if it's in the game anymore. Now they only mention him/her in some sidequests.

aliengmr

Finished.. So many mixed feelings ..

They didn't recycle the drinking animation but reused ME3's Shepard dance animation ..

A blanket score would be 7/10 for the game if I had to give one.

- The last mission was so good. Seemed like most of the development time and effort went into it. The mission and epilogue did a better job sympathizing the squad more than the rest of the game.

- Can someone explain what happened at the end fight ?
Am I right to assume they sort of overloaded the Archon with remnant energy and fried his brain ? I didn't catch what exactly happened there.

- Why is Lexi not a romance option ? Come the fuck on ..

No, the cause of death was not "Pathfinder". The terminal next to Cora explains it.

2. Lexi is in to Drack, clearly.

GODDAMMIT!

I finally got to level 30 and decided to craft level 5 versions of my two favorite guns (Scorpion pistol and Valkyrie assault rifle). I had just enough resources to do it and I had been using level 1 versions this whole time.

But when I was applying mods I added the one where ammo regenerates over time, not knowing that meant the weapons would overheat WAY faster than a normal sized ammo clip (I thought they'd still use ammo, but that it would just slowly regenerate over time). The pistol can only fire twice before overheating (I used to be able to fire it 4 times before reloading) and the assault rifle takes way longer to cool down than just to reload.

Now I have to restock my resources and redo both of those guns so they can work like how I want them to.

GODDAMMIT!

I finally got to level 30 and decided to craft level 5 versions of my two favorite guns (Scorpion pistol and Valkyrie assault rifle). I had just enough resources to do it and I had been using level 1 versions this whole time.

But when I was applying mods I added the one where ammo regenerates over time, not knowing that meant the weapons would overheat WAY faster than a normal sized ammo clip (I thought they'd still use ammo, but that it would just slowly regenerate over time). The pistol can only fire twice before overheating (I used to be able to fire it 4 times before reloading) and the assault rifle takes way longer to cool down than just to reload.

Now I have to restock my resources and redo both of those guns so they can work like how I want them to.

can't you simply replace the mods? pretty sure i've done it :) ...

can't you simply replace the mods? pretty sure i've done it :) ...
Those were mods you apply during development, they're like permanent attribute tweaks.

You can do a lot crazier stuff like give guns tracking rounds or fire sticky grenades, but they're permanent. :(

Thankfully I was able to deconstruct the ones I made a sd get some of the materials back, but I'm still short some Element Zero, so I need to find a place to buy some (bought all of Aya's stock, hopefully somewhere else sells it).

Those were mods you apply during development, they're like permanent attribute tweaks.

You can do a lot crazier stuff like give guns tracking rounds or fire sticky grenades, but they're permanent. :(

Thankfully I was able to deconstruct the ones I made a sd get some of the materials back, but I'm still short some Element Zero, so I need to find a place to buy some (bought all of Aya's stock, hopefully somewhere else sells it).

oh, okay, forgot about those...

afa element zero, the vendor at the power station in the kadara badlands sells it :) ...

This game has me feeling weird about it.

There's big full world's filled with side quest that feels unrewarding and the world themselves feel empty. It doesn't help that I'm coming off from Zelda BOTW where exploring feels fun and not a waste of time if I decided to climb a mountain.

The animation bugs and jank doesn't really bother me but now the game itself feels like it get more "choppy" the further in the game I progress. My game freezes randomly when it's auto saving. It doesn't happen enough to piss me off though.

The story from as far as I progressed is ok/passable but doesn't seem to have depth. I did the Asari Ark mission and while I liked it, it didn't have that epic story telling and segment ending Mass Effect games had for previous games. I'm always expecting more story wise and always left saying to myself "that's it?"

Enemies... they basically reuse
the boss from Voeld's mission where you rescue the female agrarian leader in the Asari Ark mission.
I feel the Ark missions should've been epic with unique enemie(s) and story telling.

Profiles feel like a waste. I don't use it. My Ryder is a pure Range Biotic who likes to get up close and personal with a shotgun every once in a while.

Positives

I liked this set of characters a lot.

Vetra - Big Sis. I could never romance her because I see her as the groups big sister.

Drak - he's a big sweetheart with a Krogan sense of humor. I like his relationship with Kesh alot. (I like Krogans alot in this series)

Liam - he's bro as shit. Supportive and backs the Pathfinder no matter what. I can't wait to get to his loyalty mission because I heard it was good.

PeeBee - I like her character. It's hard for me to describe what I like about her without spoiling who she is for other Gaf users. The fact that's she's only a "hundred and some change" years old and knowing that Asari's goes threw these stages in their lives made me appreciate who she is in this game.

Jaal - I'm still trying to figure him out. I like Jaal more when he's interacting with the other characters and how blunt he is when Ryder converse with him.

Cora - I actually get her. She was shaped by some of the things she went threw and took to her teaching in the military. There's more to her but won't go into detail.

Ryder/M - I love his reactions to some of the characters. Favorite being a reaction to Tann depending on your dialog option. I saw videos of sis Ryder and adore how awkward her character can get.

I complained about the story above but I do like it so far. I still need to see where it goes. Combat is fun.

Do yall see this in yall game sometimes??? Like a bunch of enemies would spawn, but then they do nothing but just stand there.

I thought it was just one dude and was suprised at what happened.

hb3Y8eL.gif

Do yall see this in yall game sometimes??? Like a bunch of enemies would spawn, but then they do nothing but just stand there.

hb3Y8eL.gif

Yeah that happens a lot to me. Sometimes they'll just stand in the air and only react after I shoot one of them.

Jaraghan

Does anyone know what exactly updates the map percentage when in the galaxy map? Is it side quests? Scanning planets? Because I am just wrapping up the planet
Kadara
and it seems like I only have 1 planet left to colonize. And my percentage reads 45%. Am I really not even halfway through the game?

The map is shaped kind of like a question mark, or a P, right? Get the first one, turn right, sprint around through that hallway and get the second one on your way back to the end. The smoke kind of chases you linearly, you won't end up running into the smoke in front of you accidentally.
I tried but right as I get close to the second container the smoke is already behind me to kill me when I need to contain it. I just ended up saying screw it and got the first one. Sucks but the rewards in the container itself weren't too great anyway.

Does anyone know what exactly updates the map percentage when in the galaxy map? Is it side quests? Scanning planets? Because I am just wrapping up the planet
Kadara
and it seems like I only have 1 planet left to colonize. And my percentage reads 45%. Am I really not even halfway through the game?

A big percentage of it comes from main story stuff.

BouncyFrag

hb3Y8eL.gif
The game has a tendency to get wonky if you run into an area too fast. It's like the game needs a few more seconds to process things fully.

DeaDPo0L84

You can add a clip size mod and it will increase the amount of shots you can shoot before it overheats.

Dany

Banned
It's really funny how the first time you land on Eos, you're running around site 1 like a mad man turning on relays, reading data pads and terminals for 20 minutes. Great foreshadowing on the mission design of the game.

Peroroncino

Welp, I just hit 100% completion in the game. Despite its flaws, it was a blast. Last mission is hands down the best part of the game, I really liked how everything came together at the end, it felt like my actions, not only key decisions, but all the side-stuff I've done, really mattered. The pay-off of maxing everything was worth the effort in my opinion.

Remind me what's the point of Addison in this game? Because I really wanna throw her out the the nearest airlock.

Leave her be mate, her face is tired.

Giving the players beauracratic enemies (people who are nominally on your side but act as a thorn and or annoyance) forces players to think about their actions in different ways than they usually would. You can't shoot your way through, and you can't actively sabotage them without hurting yourself as well.

Addison's not even that bad, she's just an obvious robot wearing a suit made of human skin. Tann is an obnoxious weasel, but in an entertainingly slimy used car salesman sort of way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So those custom Ryder presets were actually just NPC's?

eugh

Yeah, you can even find multiple default Scott look-alikes, maybe different heights and hair styles, around the Nexus. They have the same face and facial hair.

Vorheez

Umm, I think I may have encountered a game breaking bug, and was hoping someone had some insight into what is going on...

For the Trail of Hope mission, it keeps telling me I need to meet the resistance but I have already done that. I have gotten the planet to 89% viability and just realized that it isn't progressing. Is there something I can do to fix it?

Giving the players beauracratic enemies (people who are nominally on your side but act as a thorn and or annoyance) forces players to think about their actions in different ways than they usually would. You can't shoot your way through, and you can't actively sabotage them without hurting yourself as well.

Addison's not even that bad, she's just an obvious robot wearing a suit made of human skin. Tann is an obnoxious weasel, but in an entertainingly slimy used car salesman sort of way.
It also helps that Tann's voice actor is one of my favorite comedians. He comes across as a petulant bean counter in far over his head and out of his depth. I've always just done the opposite of what he says.
Indeed she is.

Shame about the cut sexy scenes.
So she's the one with most of her romance line cut?

Renekton

It also helps that Tann's voice actor is one of my favorite comedians. He comes across as a petulant bean counter in far over his head and out of his depth. I've always just done the opposite of what he says.

So she's the one with most of her romance line cut?
I think so. Vetra's is rumored to be the biggest casualty, that's why it seemed underdeveloped and abrupt.

Maybe someone can confirm it's the case but I saw someone mention on reddit that as a post-ending easter egg
you can play Uncharted Worlds in your quarters music box

Pretty cool.

mikemandey

40 hours in game and just reached Havarl. So far Havarl >>> Eos > Voeld. Im not a big fan of driving Nomad through vast but empty landscape...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
40 hours in game and just reached Havarl. So far Havarl >>> Eos > Voeld. Im not a big fan of driving Nomad through vast but empty landscape...

This is a great example of how Mass Effect fans can be seeking completely different experiences and why I feel the series will never go in the direction I've wished it would (if we even get another one at all). I'm on planet No.4 and Voeld could be my favourite so far, while Havarl my least.

Madness

Ahhh that ice cave quest choice,
killing the AI or the Angara
.. any suggestion? XD

Keeping the AI but giving it to the Angara helps the Resistance and you get their AI enhanced help in the end. If you take it back to the Nexus, it sits with SAM in the Hyperion node making evil AI wisecracks.

Top Bottom