• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Imo most of the bad stuff is quite front loaded in this game, NPCs that have poor animations and faces (Addison), shit dialogue (Addison again, and others). Then you run into stuff that's on par with previous Bioware efforts. The facial animations even are actually quite fine and I've been paying close attention to lip syncing which is working fine as well.

Haha yep. Addison is odd as hell, are we really sure she's not a cyborg? What I noticed about faces, including Ryder himself/herself is that differs with lighting. I was standing in that tram and from one direction the face looked fine, rotated the camera and had bit different lighting and it looked really bad.

ryan299

Every character I've created has super puffy cheeks during cutscenes and I've lowered those stats down to nothing. They all look stupid.

nOoblet16

It's the first game I play that runs so poorly on my PC. The weak point may be that my 970 has only 4gb of ram (actually more like 3.5, thanks nvidia), otherwise I've got 8gb on my PC. Thing is, it runs Star Wars Battlefront and The Division on High or Ultra at 60fps without any issue. At least no issue on High. But Andromeda is a stuttering mess for me, constantly dropping below 40 fps and coming back at 55/60. I'm not even sure locking at 30fps would fix it, sometimes it almost freezes completely. What are the settings that I should lower to get better performances ?
I ran the game on a 780Ti which has 3GB of memory and I was getting 35-35FPS at ultra and higher when in Nexus, no stuttering or freezing. The performance you are getting is ok performance for your card. You should lock FPS to 30 and use ingame Vsync to avoid any judder.

SliChillax

It's the same for me, on pc.

Honestly, trying to do that stuff reminds me way too much of what I hated about DA:I, so ain't gonna spend my time on that :p

The reason why I don't hate it it's because I am on my way to an objective anyway and the minerals for example are really close to my objective so I just take a small detour, scan and then go to my main objective. It's not really that bad, they're spread in a way that they're easy to find and there's always something interesting or a mission nearby anyway.

How do I download my preorder bonuses on origin?

Click on the game, when the menu pops out from the right there's a tab called extra content or something similar.

How's the music been? A few people have mentioned it's a bit subdued and no stand out "Vigil" type tracks

Biggest disappointment of the game. Very generic and sparsely used. I have no idea why they went this route in terms of use and why they didn't bring back any composers from the first trilogy. I

Trickster

You would think so but according to Kotaku that's not always the case:

giphy.gif

Well fuck

d00d3n

I only lost the very first guy as I didn't shoot first. I save the others. You just have to engage and kill quickly. I recommend your initial shots on the one aiming at the team member.

Thanks. I saved the first guy, but they were able to kill the second guy before I had a chance to act. I would totally have save scummed to perfection if that was an option, but dat autosave got me here I guess ...

nOoblet16

Haha yep. Addison is odd as hell, are we really sure she's not a cyborg? What I noticed about faces, including Ryder himself/herself is that differs with lighting. I was standing in that tram and from one direction the face looked fine, rotated the camera and had bit different lighting and it looked really bad.

Typical for any game really, ingame lighting is harsh so all the lights and shadows end up falling harshly on characters depending on where the light is relative to character.

Rozart

I don't know how much better it looks on the PC but on the PS4 the texture on my Ryder's hair is so nonexistent that it looks like it's some cardboard cutout wig.

I've spent waaay too much time on the cc and my Ryder still looks awful /:

Mifune

Mehmber
Well fuck

It's such a weirdly designed game. I will get into a firefight that's actually pretty fun and then a minute later I'm completing a task that is completely pointless (literally just going to the glowy spot pertaining to the glowy spot on the map) thus making me hate the overall experience. And that weirdness isn't unique to side stuff, either.

I guess it makes it worthwhile because you never know what you're gonna get?

Wallach

I only lost the very first guy as I didn't shoot first. I save the others. You just have to engage and kill quickly. I recommend your initial shots on the one aiming at the team member.

You can't save the second member you come across. The others you can save.

valkyre

It is unbelievable that this game runs so bad on the Pro... i mean wth...

Was there a new patch released today? Did it by any chance add the 1080p mode that Bioware promised?

JoeBoy101

Impressions? I'm on the fence.

The combat is great and the plotline is so far interesting.

You've seen the gifs I'm sure, so the question is how much of a dealbreaker it is. Its definitely the buggiest Bioware game I've played, but this isn't Bethesda. You won't get ALL of those bugs and though some of those animation issues and facial issues will be through all games, question is how much that will detract for you.

I haven't found it significant enough to be too distracting. Frankly the worst times I have is when the dialogue gets snarky, and that's not too often.

Vic_Viper

How do I access or get my DLC armor and weapons? Just did the first squad and outift selection when going to EOS for the first time and none of it was there. Is there a vendor I need to visit?

Hawk269

Performance on my rig is solid for the most part, though cut-scenes lag a bit when the camera changes for some reason which can be jarring. I'm not very far in the game at all (first mission) but man does the auto-save suck. Just auto-save before and after every fight please... I thought this shit got worked out a decade ago!

I am experiencing the same thing. Gameplay at 4k/60fps has been pretty solid, maybe it drops to 57 every once in a while, but when it drops to the 45 level it is a cutscene and when it is is making a transition. Outside of that it has been very solid, but definitely an issue when cutscenes are being played and there is a transition like them moving from the elevator into the hallway at the beginning causes a drop, which it might just be loading as well perhaps?

MAX PAYMENT

The combat is great and the plotline is so far interesting.

You've seen the gifs I'm sure, so the question is how much of a dealbreaker it is. Its definitely the buggiest Bioware game I've played, but this isn't Bethesda. You won't get ALL of those bugs and though some of those animation issues and facial issues will be through all games, question is how much that will detract for you.

I haven't found it significant enough to be too distracting. Frankly the worst times I have is when the dialogue gets snarky, and that's not too often.

Mass effect never had good animations, so I'm honestly not bothered by that stuff.

I just care if it's a fun game with a plot that's fun to follow.

Rellik

ME2 had a higher framerate on 360 than this has on the bone. Surely the pro handles it at least a bit better?

I don't know how it runs on the Xbox but the framerate is a mess on the Pro. All they had to do was add a 1080p mode, but nope. Stuck with 20fps.

nOoblet16

Impressions? I'm on the fence.
I think it's a good game, the main story lacks any urgency seen in previous 3 games but I don't mind that as at the core of it is something decent. As for side stuff there's a lot of interaction and I love the way your shipmates move around the ship doing their own thing and having their own conversations, and when you are in a hub they'll be in different locations in places where you would expect them like a historian would be in a museum, Liam who likes to drink will be at the bar, sometimes they'll be alone sometimes with other crew members. The animations and all are actually fine for the most part, it's just that people put all the bad parts together and sometimes they would even go out of the way to make the animations wonky (like that one where Ryder is running down the stairs, that's actually not something you would see unless you exploit the system by repeatedly changing directions while moving) and the game does look gorgeous while having a very fluid combat (it's fun to pull someone then throw them onto other enemies seamlessly).

That's not to say it doesn't have issues, the galaxy map is a pain to navigate and crafting requires a bit too many different materials. The game also has a poor start with bad NPCs like Addison (Face is tired woman) and meaningless quests but it gets much better later on.

DeaDPo0L84

I think its been asked but havent seen an answer. Is patch 1.04 already installed or is that coming at a later date? Just want confirmation cause if its later then I might just play mp until its available.

Egg0

Banned

Word. That's why I'm mostly avoiding the "casual" dialogue option because they tend to be pretty snarky.

I think I'll do a Fem Ryder run with full on snark at some point.

Huh. I'm continuing to love this game. Yes, there is some jank here and there, but I've found it easy to overlook so far.

Writing is fine. I think the reaction is overblown. I think a lot of people need to go back and play ME 1-3 again. I honestly don't find it that different in terms of quality.

If you're a fan of this series, you owe yourself to check this game out. I'm really liking it. It feels like a new Mass Effect game, which is exactly what I wanted.

Sooo...they changed the disarming animation. She doesn't make the derp face now after disarming anymore, also she wears casual outfit instead of armour in this location. As for the disarming action, keep in mind that most of these animations last like a split second while in gifs they can last 10-20 times longer than that making it look really slow, in actual cutscene she does it really fast and points it away from her asap.

giphy.gif

The video for comparison.
https://youtu.be/ulPsj5HYEV8

God, that looks so weird. Why is she smiling...lol

mjp2417

Banned
So I just got to the main quest chain on the second planet after the prologue and there appear to be mutually exclusive main missions to choose
Havarl or Voeld
. Question: Are they actually mutually exclusive and, if so, any recommendations on which one is better?

That scene can play out 3 different ways, the first time I did it there was no hostility at all. It's just one of those press RT for "renegade action" moments. If you don't press RT she just backs away. Alternatively if you approach the conversation a different manner you just walk out without causing any fuss. People have looked too deep into this thing honestly.

I didn't get to that point yet so I'm curious how I approach that situation myself.

I know what you mean about how people look too deeply into things and some of the things that are big deals for the majority really doesn't bother me at all. That scene sticks out because of the training I went threw and how much bullshit myself and other soldiers had to put up with that day. And I know there would've been 2 different ways that Turian would have reacted and he/she didn't. No big deal.

Schlorgan

I'm almost expecting this game in five years to be very fondly remembered on this forum in the same way that Arkham Origins (a game that came from a critically acclaimed series that released to tepid reviews) and Resident Evil 6 (a game that came from a critically acclaimed series that released to tepid reviews) are.

I could be wrong though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My grievances with the "writing" have more to do with usual BioWare pulp and tropes that I've never really gelled with, but I also feel that the tone of delivery from some characters and the unusual absence of music portrays a lot of the "writing" in a strange light. The Nexus is a great example of a place unusually sterile; the trilogy was so heavy with music evoking mood as you wandered and talked to characters, whereas here it's silent and almost feels like characters are just soundboarding. I also feel the protagonist being rapidly thrust into a Spectre-like role diminishes the impact of writing too; you go from being an assistant explorer to basically a galactic problem solver within an hour or two and characters you've never met are instantly dumping their problems on to you. Problems that have no relation at all to exploring and discovering habitable worlds.

But I put that down to BioWare being BioWare more than an Andromeda problem. I enjoy the games, but I still a huge critic of their writing, and both ME2 and ME3 in particular were littered with narrative and character beats, and certainly lines and exchanges, that I don't feel are all that great compared to my favourite work elsewhere. Andromeda feels like it's resonating similar tones. When people criticize characters as being edgy, or sassy, or using logical fallacies, or power fantasies, or whatever else; this is reminiscent to me of Mass Effect as a whole, for better or worse.

The entire series, with maybe an skewered exception to the first game, is loaded with comic book like pulpy characters and one liners, savior syndrome protagonists, sass and edgy, and all the other junk we see in Andromeda. I've got my own criticisms with the writing so far that I'd like to explore at a later date when I've played further, but as a whole it definitely feels like Mass Effect to me.

Those memories
Of Alec Ryder, I assume you don't only find those on Nexus, right? I found the first one in his room but when I make this the active mission I don't see anything appearing on my radar.

ironcreed

Banned
How's the music been? A few people have mentioned it's a bit subdued and no stand out "Vigil" type tracks

It has been quiet while running around on The Nexus and I finally just got The Tempest (which is an exciting moment), but what I have heard so far has the same vibe for sure.

God, that looks so weird. Why is she smiling...lol

Personally I wouldn't bother at all with the quick start Sarah Ryder. While not constantly, her facial expressions are still weird as hell at times and it's not worth it in my opinion. Make your own Ryder and you'll see it doesn't look nearly as off.

nOoblet16

So I just got to the main quest chain on the second planet after the prologue and there appear to be mutually exclusive main missions to choose
Havarl or Voeld
. Question: Are they actually mutually exclusive and, if so, any recommendations on which one is better?
They are not mutually exclusive, you have to do them both.

Tukker

The scanning for research points is getting to me already. I am walking around more with my scanner up than enjoying the scenery around me lol.

My created character looks OK, but he has a weird graphical issue with one of his eyelids.

I'm getting a new graphics card tomorrow, so I'm hoping once I bump up all the settings hopefully the higher quality meshes will fix it, otherwise I'll just have to live with it or start over (only played for a few hours of the trial).

Top Bottom