• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Mifune

Mehmber
I have very few problems with the facial animation, all things considered. Not great but not something that bothers me all that much. It's only really bad in those sideways conversations where the camera stays a little further back and the models look like poo.

hydruxo

How's the music been? A few people have mentioned it's a bit subdued and no stand out "Vigil" type tracks

It's very generic. Not particularly bad or anything just nothing that stands out. It's disappointing coming off the original trilogy that was full of such memorable and evocative music.

I'm trying very hard to like this. The writing, acting, voices, audio, generic music (where is the cool vibey electronic score?), mediocre combat, dead-eyed animation, bad lighting, glitchiness, awful pacing and bobbing frame-rate...

The list goes on and this is not the feeling of a Triple-A marquis game. It just very mediocre. If you're on the fence and can wait, wait for a couple performance patches at the very least. I'm going to shelve it until then. Very disappointed. It's like whoever developed this game had never played any of the previous ME games.

Chumley

Banned
Anyone know how to get the origin .exe working from adding it to steam? I'm only able to launch it from the origin browser, first time an origin game has given me this problem.

BizzyBum

Some very early impressions:

I just left Eos after setting up Prodromos. It's still very early but I can already tell this won't be as great as the original trilogy.

I think my main issues so far is with the narrative and the writing, which are pretty much the main reasons I play games like this. Nothing really gets set up. We enter Andromeda, the scourge damages our ship and golden planet, we're immediately fighting hostile aliens that look like the Locust from Gears of War, and the main character's father dies without any investment into the character so it's no big deal to any player. It goes from 0 to 100 within the first hour of play. There's no build up to anything.

The writing is just not as sharp, either. I'll use a quick early example but as FemRyder I was flirting with Suvi (the girl with the accent across from the Salarian on the Tempest) and dear lord was it cringe worthy. Awful VO with even worse writing. I feel kinda bad for the voice actor's here. There's also lots of weird quirks and camera views during conversations. The "dead face and eyes" are exacerbated when the camera has a super zoom on your face for long stretches of dialogue for no reason. Characters are stiff and lifeless when conversing.

I will say playing maxed out on PC at 1440p the game does looks great even with the downgrades. The combat is pretty good, too. I love the jumpboost and thrust mechanic when on foot. Reminds me of Halo 5.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm trying very hard to like this. The writing, acting, voices, audio, generic music (where is the cool vibey electronic score?), mediocre combat, dead-eyed animation, bad lighting, glitchiness, awful pacing and bobbing frame-rate...

The list goes on and this is not the feeling of a Triple-A marquis game. It just very mediocre. If you're on the fence and can wait, wait for a couple performance patches at the very least. I'm going to shelve it until then. Very disappointed. It's like whoever developed this game had never played any of the previous ME games.

Pretty much how I'm feeling at the moment. Just a terminal case of the blands.

I disagree with many people in that to me it just doesn't feel like a Mass Effect game at all.

Still only nine hours in so I hope it improves.

Tsukumo

Opinions and all, but
WHAT? The combat in this game is mediocre?

You would think so but according to Kotaku that's not always the case:

Ok now that sounds odd as hell. You would think that the quests that are truly worthwhile wouldn't be put there where most of the not so worthwhile quests are. Hope they change this because I am not planning on doing every single little annoying fetch quest. At the same time I don't wanna miss out on some cool shit.

My created character looks OK, but he has a weird graphical issue with one of his eyelids.

I'm getting a new graphics card tomorrow, so I'm hoping once I bump up all the settings hopefully the higher quality meshes will fix it, otherwise I'll just have to live with it or start over (only played for a few hours of the trial).

Haha, I thought the eyelid thing was just my guy, homeboy looks like Forest Whitaker with the lazy eye.

Mifune

Mehmber
Opinions and all, but

The mechanics are fine but the enemies and encounter design are nothing to write home about. Every battle just ends up feeling like a free-for-all with little regard for strategy or pacing.

BizzyBum

What were they thinking with the main menu music? It's so bland and uninspired. ME1's theme is iconic, IMO. It just gives you this sense of awe and wonderment.

Mass Effect: You've been sleeping for 600 years
Me:

rzj2vt.gif

Opinions and all, but

Very much so in my opinion. The bland gunplay is not satisfying in any way, the cover system never seems to work when or how I think it will. The enemy AI feels like 2000-2001-era AI. Your teammate AI is okay - their autopilot stuff - but when you try to place them somewhere, it feels very imprecise.

The powers are okay so far, but that's the only standout in an otherwise pretty bland & uninspired combat arena IMO.

I was surprised by this because i was hearing in the previews how solid the combat was, but this doesn't even feel as solid or smart as the previous ME entries, and this is a whole gen later.

I'm almost expecting this game in five years to be very fondly remembered on this forum in the same way that Arkham Origins (a game that came from a critically acclaimed series that released to tepid reviews) and Resident Evil 6 (a game that came from a critically acclaimed series that released to tepid reviews) are.

I could be wrong though.
I fully expect it to be just like Dragon Age Inquisition is. Most people look back on that fondly now.

Arcteryx

So how bad is the quest design?

It sounds pretty bad.

DA:I level bad?

Like level 1 WoW bad.

You're going to run into a TON of quests like this:
* go over here
* "oh no, it's not turned on"
* go over here
* "oh, we have to scan the source"
* go over here
* ok it's on now
* go back to the start

/game is bad man

BizzyBum

Like level 1 WoW bad.

* go over here
* go over here
* go over here
* ok it's on now
* go back to the start

/game is bad man

>side quest to put dying brother's pendent on Eos.
>find spot and place pendent by holding Y
>no pendent model shown on ground when done

giphy.gif

Haha, I thought the eyelid thing was just my guy, homeboy looks like Forest Whitaker with the lazy eye.

This is what my glitched eyelid looks like:

It only seems to be on one eye, and it's more noticeable when he blinks. Not a deal breaker, but not the best thing to see all the time either. It almost seems like a lighting issue, but it's always there no matter what the lighting is like.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with how he looks. I based it on a similar preset someone tweaked on here. He came out looking a little older than I thought and I accidentally left some face scars that I didn't want, but I think I'll keep it for my first playthrough.

JoeBoy101

"Okay what's with the gun show?"

In context, best line in the game yet.

Alright, this game's starting to feel more and more like ME to me. But now, I can't get naked Jaal ass out of my head.

Arcteryx said:
* go over here
* go over here
* go over here
* ok it's on now
* go back to the start

Yeah, alot of them are this. There are more than handful that have more meat on them tough. And not main quests, but side ones and tasks.

emag

I only played the trial, but for those of you who are farther, is communication with the Milky Way (via quantum entanglement communicators, as used in ME2 & 3) ever addressed? I'm guessing not.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Actually not true at all. Go into threads for Zelda or Horizon or Nier or Nioh or Yakuza or Gravity Rush and you'll see.

obviously theres outliers to the rule, sony and nintendo exclusives are always loved on here

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, we're in 2017 .. I can't believe games are still blocking PS4's screenshot feature :-/

For the interested, the game apparently blocks screenshots when you go to the Nexus. I want to take some snapshots, the view from the main deck with all the blue haze is gorgeous. Stupid.

Inviusx

>side quest to put dying brother's pendent on Eos.
>find spot and place pendent by holding Y
>no pendent model shown on ground when done

giphy.gif

That's some mid 2000's MMO quest design right there.

If that was in the Witcher 3 not only would the pendant appear but if you visited it a few hours later the brothers ghost would appear, have some unique dialogue and maybe another side quest.

RAIDEN1

How often does the game crash??? Is it fair to say in certain instances you can't complete a side-quest even though you have completed the objectives for it?

I will be getting the game, but these performance issues need to be addressed! Surely Bioware can't be that blind to it that a game people have paid with their hard-earned cash are getting something that isn't in a satisfactory state from a playable point of view??

BizzyBum

If that was in the Witcher 3 not only would the pendant appear but if you visited it a few hours later the brothers ghost would appear, have some unique dialogue and maybe another side quest.

Hahaha, for real.

W3 has probably ruined me with these types of games.

Mifune

Mehmber

There's not even any indication that that's where you would place the pendant accept for the fact that the air above the empty sand is glowing for some mysterious reason.

Top Bottom