• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Woohoo! just got 1 million credits and now my squad has all the spectre weapons. Can't wait to try these out.

I'm now Level 38, 18 hours in and I've done Noveria, Feros and the bit where you rescue the blue chick.

Just did the side quest with the nuke down in the caves.. I loved how you came out and were up on the ridge with the mercenary camp below.. totally gave me a chance to use my sniping skills

Oh and another couple of side quest questions:

I took garros? onto the ship to find the evil scientist who had been using people as human test tubes.. I said we'd be taking him in, then it went to battle mode and he ran off.. and suddenly I got a cutscene with garros saying "he dies anyway" .. did one of my crew shoot him, because I know I didn't.

on the side quest where you meet the guy who has his gun to the scientists head, and he's blaming him for a bunch of stuff.. I ended up telling him to kill the scientist, then he killed himself - is there another way out of this

ShinAmano said:
True...so far the only planet worth landing on was the moon...

Did you find the one that has you assisting an Alliance squad in a Starship Troopers-esqe holdout against a Rachni assault? That one was pretty cool.

ShinAmano

Confidence Man said:
Did you find the one that has you assisting an Alliance squad in a Starship Troopers-esqe holdout against a Rachni assault? That one was pretty cool.
Apparently I missed the coolest one :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GauntletFan said:
Woohoo! just got 1 million credits and now my squad has all the spectre weapons. Can't wait to try these out.

I'm now Level 38, 18 hours in and I've done Noveria, Feros and the bit where you rescue the blue chick.

Just did the side quest with the nuke down in the caves.. I loved how you came out and were up on the ridge with the mercenary camp below.. totally gave me a chance to use my sniping skills

I took garros? onto the ship to find the evil scientist who had been using people as human test tubes.. I said we'd be taking him in, then it went to battle mode and he ran off.. and suddenly I got a cutscene with garros saying "he dies anyway" .. did one of my crew shoot him, because I know I didn't.

on the side quest where you meet the guy who has his gun to the scientists head, and he's blaming him for a bunch of stuff.. I ended up telling him to kill the scientist, then he killed himself - is there another way out of this

1) - From my experience, the scientist will die in combat. Maybe your game glitched? 2) - Yes, if you have enough Charm, you can get him to surrender and arrest the scientist.

medze

Confidence Man said:

And people say the sidequests lack substance! Seriously though, I understand that recycling environments/textures does get old, the story is still tied into every sidequest, some more than others.

I think we all agree that the story is Mass Effect's strong point and by skipping this stuff, you are doing yourself a disservice. I can see how some people may see it as grinding (I don't), but I think to get the full scope of the game/plot, you have to do these missions.

ShinAmano

medze said:
And people say the sidequests lack substance! Seriously though, I understand that recycling environments/textures does get old, the story is still tied into every sidequest, some more than others.

I think we all agree that the story is Mass Effect's strong point and by skipping this stuff, you are doing yourself a disservice. I can see how some people may see it as grinding (I don't), but I think to get the full scope of the game/plot, you have to do these missions.
I only think it is grinding when in order to get specific achievements they force you to do it multiple times...I enjoyed my first visit to most of the planets...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. I don't think I mind doing all the side quests the first time because it was interesting to see the stories, but doing it two more times to get the Ally achievements seems very harsh.

GauntletFan said:

You can also kill the scientist yourself so the other guy doesn't get arrested if you have enough intimidate points

Either my Vanguard is a bitch, or this game is really fucking hard! I had to scale back the difficulty to easy in order to beat
Matriarch Benezia. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to that mission as my first mission, because i was looking at some guides and the other ones seems substantially easier.

Regardless, the combat is really fucking awesome and I am really getting into the story.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Specte weapons?

What? I went to see the re what something thorian, saw his inventory and it was all pretty yuck compared to what i had. Maybe i missed something.

WrikaWrek said:
Specte weapons?

What? I went to see the re what something thorian, saw his inventory and it was all pretty yuck compared to what i had. Maybe i missed something.

I didnt get the option to buy the spectre weapons till my 2nd play-through.

medze

firehawk12 said:
You need to get the "rich" achievement.
Yup, once you get this achievement you can buy the Spectre weapons from either the C-Sec or Normandy Quartermaster. I've seen the level "X" ones but I'm not sure if they get any better than that. Still leaps and bounds above anything else you'll find

firehawk12

Subete no aware
medze said:
Yup, once you get this achievement you can buy the Spectre weapons from either the C-Sec or Normandy Quartermaster. I've seen the level "X" ones but I'm not sure if they get any better than that. Still leaps and bounds above anything else you'll find

Yeah, I think the Spectre gear is the best in the game and once you hit high levels, the money just rolls in to a point where you can load up every character with the stuff and not worry about running out of cash.

Omni-Gel question
How else can I get omni-gel other than turning items into it right when I pick them up? I'm sure this is probably a stupid question, but thanks

watership

Aurora said:
Ahh yea I totally agree here. It turned out to be one of my favourite moments of the game actually. Shame (and lazy) that BioWare didn't let us land on any of the other planets in our solar system.

Considering that the content in the game took 4 years to make, how is it lazy?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GalaxyBird said:
so you can't turn items that are in your inventory into omni-gel?

Oh yeah, that's the easiest way to get gel if you need it. In fact, if you do all the quests and hack all the lockers, you'll get to a point where you have to keep converting stuff to gel in order to look into your inventory.

Confidence Man said:

whoa whoa whoa....I though I did every sidequest but I don't remember this one. How do you activate it?

Gattsu25

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Press the Y button while highlighting an item in your inventory screen. =/
GalaxyBird, the reason why this quoted post has a =/ is because the inventory screen tells you that pressing Y will convert an item into Omni-Gel

Mrbob

kirbybreezy said:
whoa whoa whoa....I though I did every sidequest but I don't remember this one. How do you activate it?

I haven't hit this yet either, but it does sound cool. My guess is getting this sidequest might depend on what you do with the Rachni Queen earlier in the game?

Gattsu25 said:
GalaxyBird, the reason why this quoted post has a =/ is because the inventory screen tells you that pressing Y will convert an item into Omni-Gel

oh... well I suppose thats deserved then. I swore I look up and down that page. but thanks for all the help anyway.

newsguy

Ok, day 2 with the game last night. About 3 hours in. It is definitely growing on me. the plot is getting good. The reason I struggle in this game is because I don't like RPGs. Of course this game is really only an RPG under the surface, so that's a good thing. One major similarity is that it throws 10000000 things at you at all times and in my action/sports/fps upbringing this is daunting. I always want to do every side task before continuing the main quest, but right now I check my journal and 10 people want me to traverse the Citadel for sex scandals and news stories.

To add to that there are religious nuts who I have to spend money on just so they can preach
their jellyfish religion! I am enjoying the sidequests alot actually, I just feel like there are so many of them I may never get back to the main story.

Am I the only one disappointed by how this game has pretty much gotten a free ride, review wise? I mean, the game is still pretty awesome but jesus christ I can't remember the last game I played that had fucking v-sync issues. I'd be alot less disappointed if I knew going in.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Am I the only one disappointed by how this game has pretty much gotten a free ride, review wise? I mean, the game is still pretty awesome but jesus christ I can't remember the last game I played that had fucking v-sync issues. I'd be alot less disappointed if I knew going in.

You gotta be kidding me. lol Your last game must've been along time ago.

timmy

I've completed the opening citadel stuff so far, and right now my big complaint lies with the feel of the game environment. For being the hub of the galaxy, The Citadel sure feels pretty barren to me. It's sparsely populated, and the characters who are there don't really seem to move much. Even in the night clubs, which are supposed to be pretty wild, all of the npcs look like wallflowers.

widgetraf

Can I do a New Game+ while changing my character from male to female, or my class? I want to go for the other achievements but my first game was Soldier class.

widgetraf said:
Can I do a New Game+ while changing my character from male to female, or my class? I want to go for the other achievements but my first game was Soldier class.

Nope, NewGame+ is the same exact character you created.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:

Free ride? Are we playing the same game...

Yes it has some graphical issues (V-Sync being the least of these) Lost Planet, Saints Row and many other games are MUCH worse with the V-Sync problems, stop blowing things out of proportion. It's an amazing game, and well deserving of the high review scores it got.

widgetraf said:
No, but if you got the weapon achievements you'll be able to start a new character with those talents regardless of class.

Walshicus

Was just thinking about things I'd like to see as DLC; English main character voice option seemed fairly obvious. I think I noticed just one English accent and but a handful of other non-American accents throughout the entire game. :(

Gattsu25

Banned
_dementia said:
No, but if you got the weapon achievements you'll be able to start a new character with those talents regardless of class.
Is it possible to NOT choose a bonus talent when making a new character?

Does choosing a bonus skill add an extra skill to your list or replace a skill, entirely...and in the case of an Adept: what skill is replaced?
Sir Fragula said:
Was just thinking about things I'd like to see as DLC; English main character voice option seemed fairly obvious. I think I noticed just one English accent and but a handful of other non-American accents throughout the entire game. :(
Ever heard your character pronounce the word "Against"? Breaks the illusion that all surviving humans are from the USA

Walshicus

Gattsu25 said:
Ever heard your character pronounce the word "Against"? Breaks the illusion that all surviving humans are from the USA
I wouldn't know the difference between how an American pronounces it and how a Canadian [which is what I presume you're infering the main character is] would.

Gattsu25

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
I wouldn't know the difference between how an American pronounces it and how a Canadian [which is what I presume you're infering the main character is] would.
I'm not sure if that's how it is pronounced in Canada, either. Just noting that whenever I hear my main character say the word it throws out the "all humans are American" illusion that the other characters convey.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
I'm not sure if that's how it is pronounced in Canada, either. Just noting that whenever I hear my main character say the word it throws out the "all humans are American" illusion that the other characters convey.

Yah uhh, not once does the game imply that all Humans are American...

kirbybreezy said:

It was a random planet I got a distress signal from. It was in a cluster toward the center of the galaxy near Artemis Tau. Started with Styx or Stygian or something like that.

Top Bottom