• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

widgetraf

_dementia said:
No, but if you got the weapon achievements you'll be able to start a new character with those talents regardless of class.

So.. I got the pistol, shotgun and assault rifle weapon achievements in my first run. This means I can use these weapons with any class on my second playthough?

Shinjitsu

Banned
widgetraf said:
So.. I got the pistol, shotgun and assault rifle weapon achievements in my first run. This means I can use these weapons with any class on my second playthough?

You can pick one of these weapon skills as a BONUS skill, it adds an extra skill to the existing set of skills for that class. The same applies to most of the biotic and tech powers.

Adept with a Shotgun, or a Solder with lift for example.

Gattsu25

Banned
orio7 said:
Sorry if it's been answered in this thread but how do I get into some lesbian action? ;)
Be nice to Liara

Does choosing a bonus skill add an extra skill to your list or replace a skill, entirely? (and in the case of an Adept: what skill is replaced?)

Is it possible to NOT choose a bonus talent when making a new character?

Gattsu25

Banned
orio7 said:
Where and when do you meet her? I'm only 2 hours in and don't think I've met anyone with that name.
The forget the name of the planet, but
when you gain Spectre status they will mention (roughly) where to find her

Da5id-1

Neo Member
@orio7

She's in the cluster after you leave the Citadel. Just go to the cluster and search around until you find her mission. She joins your crew afterward.

ShinAmano

orio7 said:
Where and when do you meet her? I'm only 2 hours in and don't think I've met anyone with that name.
You
save here on the dig site location...then after each mission go talk to her on your ship (near the doctor) and be nice...before the end of the game you are given the opportunity...you wont miss it if you talk to her each time

Shinjitsu

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Does choosing a bonus skill add an extra skill to your list or replace a skill, entirely? (and in the case of an Adept: what skill is replaced?)

Is it possible to NOT choose a bonus talent when making a new character?

No skills are replaced, it just gives you an extra skill.

And no, once you unlock a skill a certain class does not have by default, you pick a new skill when starting a new char.

Gattsu25

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
No skills are replaced, it just gives you an extra skill.

And no, once you unlock a skill a certain class does not have by default, you pick a new skill when starting a new char.
Hmm...only reason I ask is because my original character has the entire screen filled with skills...unless they give they ability to scroll up and down for the one extra skill, or remove one line from the skill info area at the bottom of the screen, they'll run out of room and would need to replace something to get it all to fit on a single screen

Shinjitsu

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Hmm...only reason I ask is because my original character has the entire screen filled with skills...unless they give they ability to scroll up and down for the one extra skill, or remove one line from the skill info area at the bottom of the screen, they'll run out of room and would need to replace something to get it all to fit on a single screen

You worry to much:lol

Yes it lets you scroll down.

watership

Son of Godzilla said:
Am I the only one disappointed by how this game has pretty much gotten a free ride, review wise? I mean, the game is still pretty awesome but jesus christ I can't remember the last game I played that had fucking v-sync issues. I'd be alot less disappointed if I knew going in.

No review I ever read ignores the graphical glitches.

Hugin

Sir Fragula

Was just thinking about things I'd like to see as DLC; English main character voice option seemed fairly obvious.

And by 'obvious', you mean a vast amount of work that totally isn't going to happen.

The game has far too much dialogue for Sheppard to justify doing an additional set as DLC, particularly if you're going to pay a good voice actor to do it all.

Gattsu25

Banned
Hugin said:
And by 'obvious', you mean a vast amount of work that totally isn't going to happen.

The game has far too much dialogue for Sheppard to justify doing an additional set as DLC, particularly if you're going to pay a good voice actor to do it all.
It goes against the grain, when you think of what is typically downloadable content, but it's quite possibly the only microtransaction I can see myself paying for.

Da5id-1

Neo Member
Anyone have an idea of when the soundtrack is suppose to come out? I thought it was this week but I can't find any confirmation at any stores.

Edit: Nevermind, I just torrented it.

Walshicus

Gattsu25 said:
It goes against the grain, when you think of what is typically downloadable content, but it's quite possibly the only microtransaction I can see myself paying for.
I'd pay for it too, provided the voice actor was decent. I'm thinking...
moss_d.jpg

:D

arhra

Gattsu25 said:
I dunno...I just picked up a license for a manufacturer with
Geth
in the name, though. Haven't checked to see what items they make.
I got some bitchingly-good Krogan heavy armour from them from somewhere (i think one of the Requisition Officers, but it could have been a late-game story planet too).

medze said:
And people say the sidequests lack substance! Seriously though, I understand that recycling environments/textures does get old, the story is still tied into every sidequest, some more than others.
Some of them tie into your chosen personal history, too - as an Earth-born sole survivor, there was a pair of side-quests that tied into each of those aspects.

Earth-born:
An old gang member from my childhood approached me on the Citadel to help get a fellow gang-member out of Turian custody, allegedly for simple drug-running. After talking to the relevant Turian it turned out that he'd been arrested for attempting to use a home-brewed bioweapon on a Turian colony, so i decided to let him rot. Then the guy who gave me the quest came over and threatened to rat out my not-exactly-law-abiding past to the public. Not that i really gave a shit, as i'd hardly been a Paragon as a Spectre (well, i ended up splitting things ~50/50 - i was mostly a nice guy to my friends, and generally helpful to people in need, but piss me off and there was a good chance you'd get a bullet in the head), but i didn't like the slimy little fuck anyway so i shot him in the head to shut him up.

Sole survivor:
On one of the sidequests you find a soldier in a research complex with a gun to a scientist's head - if you're a sole survivor, it turns out that he's actually one of your old squadmates, who was with you on Akuze - the place where it was believed you were the only one to make it out alive. Turns out that the thresher maw attack that wiped out your squad was orchestrated by Cerberus scientists testing their capabilities, and that your squadmate here survived, and was captured by the scientists, who then performed experiments on him. I got out of it with intimidate and executed the scientist for him. That one made the entire Cerberus questline a very personal matter for me.

I can't wait to see what ties into the different backgrounds on my second playthrough (just started a spacer war hero vanguard for my Paragon playthrough, although i'll also be doing a new game+ with my first shepard to go for Extreme Power Gamer, having picked up Power Gamer in my first run).

As far as the repetitive environments go, i felt the planet surfaces were sufficiently-varied (one near-airless rock just isn't going to be that much different from any other near-airless rock, and there were enough planets with rudimentary biospheres, oddball atmospheres, or different weather conditions thrown in to keep me happy), and as far as the building go, i just figured that there's a construction conglomerate somewhere who's making an absolute fortune on prefab buildings (although i would have preferred it if they'd taken the Oblivion approach, of having a relatively-small number of fixed building blocks that could be put together in a variety of ways, rather than monolithic complexes that are always the same on every planet). The stories and combat were sufficiently-engaging that the lack of architectural variety didn't really bother me, though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Kaze said:
Yeah, I'm getting the torrent now but I will buy it when it comes out Christmas week.

How stupid can you be? Thank god GAF doesn't tolerate this pirate shit talk. Last thing a a forum needs is that kind of talk.

arhra said:
I can't wait to see what ties into the different backgrounds on my second playthrough (just started a spacer war hero vanguard for my Paragon playthrough, although i'll also be doing a new game+ with my first shepard to go for Extreme Power Gamer, having picked up Power Gamer in my first run)..

Yeah, still doing this myself. It takes a minimum of 3 runthroughs (with the same character) to reach 60, though. -_-

Pirates should be sneaky and hidden. Like Ninjas. Cue lame Ninjas vs Pirates argument.

Anyway, I'm having trouble to decide if I want to go with Kaiden or Liara with my Lady Shepard. Personality-wise Kaiden seems much more interesting, but I am also a heterosexual male with a particular fondness for lesbians, so I don't know.

I wish I could seduce Ashley though, even though she is a bit of a bitch.

_dementia said:
But premarital sex with Man Shepard is cool?

Anyway, Man Shepard + Kaidan Alenko would have been amazing.

Given the circumstances (
the whole "We might not come back alive from Ilos" thing
), it's more justifiable. :D

Anyway, Man Shepard + Kaidan Alenko would have been amazing.

8fnpaoo.gif

Dartastic

Did I miss the alien love? I just got finished with
Kaiden's death, and I don't see any dialog actions to get me some.
Do I have any other chances?

Ventrue

Dartastic said:
Did I miss the alien love? I just got finished with
Kaiden's death, and I don't see any dialog actions to get me some.
Do I have any other chances?

No, it doesn't happen until you're going to the last planet.

The Lamonster said:
:lol

You insult my intelligence - and now I must return the favor: ever try clicking that BUY link?

Not insulting your intelligence, at all, but alternatives exist even if sumthing.com isn't one:)lol). Also, you implied that piracy is A-OK when something was temporarily out-of-stock. It isn't.

WrikaWrek said:
How stupid can you be? Thank god GAF doesn't tolerate this pirate shit talk. Last thing a a forum needs is that kind of talk.
What are you talking about? What makes Kaze stupid? I'll admit it: I downloaded the album, and I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

Why are you so worked up?

Vyse The Legend said:
Not insulting your intelligence, at all, but alternatives exist even if sumthing isn't one:)lol). Also, you implied that piracy is A-OK when something was temporarily out-of-stock. It isn't.
Piracy is A-OK if you buy the album too or already own it. Just my opinion.

Show me a place to buy the album that isn't Amazon.com

Sumthing redirects to Amazon.

GilloD

Banned
Impressions!: This is just KotOR without a liscense. For me, this is the best news possible and I'm in heaven.

Can someone explain how to drive the Mako? I feel like I may have missed out on a plot point explaining the finer details about trying to drive this thing. I feel like I need a special joystick.

Also, I've never had the feeling that I need to SAVE SAVE SAVE like this since an old Sierra adventure game. I wish the Auto Save was a little more on point. As dangers tend to pop up after some exposition and aren't quite immediate, not having Auto Save kick in a little more often leaves me losing 15 or 20 minutes of tedious work.

Combat is a little weak. I have a hard time telling when I've been hit and am hitting. It's just very, uh, light. That said, I can't imagine a game I'd like to be playing more than this, which indicates to me that it's very much not for everyone.

What were everyone's squad choices? I don't like Tali much, but it seems nearly impossible to get by without someone on Squad having decryption and electronics. Am I wrong? Wrex also hangs out because he's a giant ass kicker, but I wish the squad members had a little more personality. They almost never chime in on conversations and as a result I don't feel as conflicted about swapping them out as I did in KotOR. They're more like abilities templates than people.

GilloD said:
What were everyone's squad choices? I don't like Tali much, but it seems nearly impossible to get by without someone on Squad having decryption and electronics. Am I wrong? Wrex also hangs out because he's a giant ass kicker, but I wish the squad members had a little more personality. They almost never chime in on conversations and as a result I don't feel as conflicted about swapping them out as I did in KotOR. They're more like abilities templates than people.

Keep Wrex around, then. He has the best dialogue in the game, and he chimes in quite a bit.

GilloD said:
Impressions!: This is just KotOR without a liscense. For me, this is the best news possible and I'm in heaven.

Can someone explain how to drive the Mako? I feel like I may have missed out on a plot point explaining the finer details about trying to drive this thing. I feel like I need a special joystick.

Also, I've never had the feeling that I need to SAVE SAVE SAVE like this since an old Sierra adventure game. I wish the Auto Save was a little more on point. As dangers tend to pop up after some exposition and aren't quite immediate, not having Auto Save kick in a little more often leaves me losing 15 or 20 minutes of tedious work.

Combat is a little weak. I have a hard time telling when I've been hit and am hitting. It's just very, uh, light. That said, I can't imagine a game I'd like to be playing more than this, which indicates to me that it's very much not for everyone.

Read the manual for Mako controls.

As a Soldier, I always had Liara around for her Biotics expertise, and Garrus was always on sniper support. I did most of the ass kicking.

GilloD

Banned
SOmething that drives me crazy about Charm and dialogue options:

The quest for the Biotic compound. At the start, you dialogue with Alliance HQ to chat about the compound. If you have a high enough Charm, you're given the option to imply that you'll attempt to resolve the situation peacefully. But at the compound itself, my Charm skill was not high enough to select the peaceful options even though it was high enough ti imply that I would do so. Bummer.

GilloD

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Read the manual for Mako controls.

As a Soldier, I always had Liara around for her Biotics expertise, and Garrus was always on sniper support. I did most of the ass kicking.

I Gamefly'ed it (First person to give me a lecture gets a lifetime ban from MY MEMORY), so no manual. I just hate the way controls are relative to the turret/camera, but the turret doesn't really center easily. A "Center Turret" button would have done wonders.

widgetraf

Mine was Soldier Shepherd, Kaidan and Liara.

Basically my strategy consisted of Lift, Throw, Singularity and Shotgun (lots of it).

Heavy Armor + Armor/HP skills + Carnage!

Top Bottom