• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

To me its simply about the overall experience. Despite running through some slowdown, inventory issues, some lame reoccuring areas, etc, I still found this game to be hands down the most "involving" game of this generation thus far. I was so utterly engrossed in the experience due to the presentation and sheer depth of what there was to offer. The story is as much apart of the gameplay as the shooting, and I think people tend to simply say, "Well the story is good, but the game highly suffers here...or there". To me you can't simply push the story to the side as if its its own category.

I suppose its all about how much interest you have in what the game has to offer. To me I can look past its flaws simply because its allowed me to really fall into the games world in a way that I haven't done in years, where as many other experiences this fall have been the type of 'fun' that I have come to know for a while now. I just couldn't put the game down. I'm starting to look towards much deeper experiences, and ME definitely met that goal.

Johnkers

I finished this last night, LOVED it.

My main problem was technically, it didn't felt complete. Lots of small bugs (I got stuck way too many times), about half of the side-missions felt totally empty, Mako sucks etc.

But the framework has set up something where I really hope they improve and fix all my small complaints.

I think I'll enjoy this as much/more on my second playthrough since I won't bother with the majority of the side quests and can just enjoy the amazing story and story missions.

I'm gonna go ahead and say my favourite RPG :)

Uncle

That reminds me; has anyone else had the "there is new downloadable content for this game on the marketplace" thing show up in the start menu? I've seen it twice, but I never found anything.

Uncle said:
That reminds me; has anyone else had the "there is new downloadable content for this game on the marketplace" thing show up in the start menu? I've seen it twice, but I never found anything.

Shows up every time for me.

What a cock tease.

arhra

OK... Completionist + Power Gamer (+ extensive sidequesting) = I just hit 50 before even going to Virmire :lol

Also, it seems completing the game raises the level cap for all games, not just new game+ games (ie, i might well hit 52 or so before finishing this game off).

arhra said:
OK... Completionist + Power Gamer (+ extensive sidequesting) = I just hit 50 before even going to Virmire :lol

Also, it seems completing the game raises the level cap for all games, not just new game+ games (ie, i might well hit 52 or so before finishing this game off).

wow.. how the heck?

were you playing on hardcore or something? i did every side quest i could find and only got to 44 or so by the end.

SeaOfMadness said:
wow.. how the heck?

were you playing on hardcore or something? i did every side quest i could find and only got to 44 or so by the end.
perhaps all his kills were on foot

you get significantly less XP in the Mako

SeaOfMadness said:
wow.. how the heck?

Power Gamer gives you 10% bonus to XP, and Completionist gives you 5%. They stack, so 15% total.

Extreme Power Gamer adds another 5%, so if you start a new character you gets a 20% XP bonus out the gate.

For the the last battle before Saren on the outside of the citadel where the dropship is constantly spawning geth, can you just sit there and not destroy the ship. Just curious for my second playthrough if you can just sit there and get loads of XP off of the geth.

UnholySpectacle said:
For the the last battle before Saren on the outside of the citadel where the dropship is constantly spawning geth, can you just sit there and not destroy the ship. Just curious for my second playthrough if you can just sit there and get loads of XP off of the geth.

I'm pretty sure you can. They've never stopped spawning for me.

JayDubya

Banned
arhra said:

I hit L50 during Virmire, before getting to the Salarian camp. I don't know what more I could have done to get more xp than I did when I could get it.

Maybe I missed a Thresher Maw or two. Maybe if I'd fought Father Kyle and all his minions rather than use diplomacy.

Vyse The Legend said:
I'm pretty sure you can. They've never stopped spawning for me.

They sure seemed to stop for me. I killed a lot before it stopped, though.

Roat

Banned
What's the point of leveling in this game, or getting heaps of money for better items exactly? The game can be beaten pretty easily even if you're not paying attention to the RPG throwins.

I didn't even know what my level was when I finished it.

arhra

UnholySpectacle said:
Easy way to Level 60 then.
Might have trouble stopping your squadmates from killing the dropship, though.

Maybe if I'd fought Father Kyle and all his minions rather than use diplomacy.
I've been playing pure paragon, so i've missed quite a few opportunities for extra kill-XP (did Kyle without killing anyone,
saved all the colonists on Feros
, etc). I have been hopping out of the mako to finish off Thresher Maws occasionally, and doing a lot of the sidequest planets by rushing bases, getting out of the mako, and killing everything on foot, though (hit 50 while doing the Armstrong Nebula planet where you have to clear out a geth base with a colossus, a couple of armatures, and a bunch of sniper and rocket geth, then once you clear those out a dropship comes and drops a bunch more off at you - due to the way the Mako doesn't scale, it was actually easier to just get out and do it all on foot...).

What's the point of leveling in this game, or getting heaps of money for better items exactly? The game can be beaten pretty easily even if you're not paying attention to the RPG throwins.

I didn't even know what my level was when I finished it.
If you're playing a tech/biotic class, having enough talents to max out some/most of your powers makes combat a lot more fun (maxed out lift + maxed out nemesis = awesome).

clashfan

Just finished the game. It was really enjoyable. I just wished there was more to the main quest. Is there multiple endings to the game? The only technical thing that bothered me about the game was the texture loading issues.

Zerachiel

AniHawk said:
Incredible soundtrack too. Whatever that credits song was, I must have it. Such a great game.

Really?

I thought the soundtrack was one of the game's weaker elements. Huge let down after KOTOR and Jade Empire. The only ones I liked were the ending song and the sorrowful music.

Also, was anyone else pissed that you couldn't take down
Exo-Geni Coropration? I wanted to see justice after what they'd done. I'm curious why they're allowed to keep operating after what they did on Feros. Being a witness at a trial would have been fun.

Also, I was a little made that my pragmatic decision in the ending lead to a very different result from what I intended. I told the fleet to concentrate on the enemy, and ignore the council, because every little bit helps, and if the other guys win, there most definitely will not be a council anymore. I didn't intend to pave the way for human hegemony via a "chairman" seat on the council.

I'll also really be pissed if the Rachni subplot isn't explored in ME2.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Zerachiel said:
Really?

I thought the soundtrack was one of the game's weaker elements. Huge let down after KOTOR and Jade Empire. The only ones I liked were the ending song and the sorrowful music.

I'll also really be pissed if the Rachni subplot isn't explored in ME2.

I think the soundtrack was really hit or miss some times it was awesome and others really cheesy.... and the end song was trash imo.

I freed them, how awesome would it be to have one in your party in ME2????

AniHawk

Zerachiel said:
Really?

I just simply enjoyed the 80s Sci Fi Movie feeling the music gave me. I've said it earlier, but some of it reminded me of Blade Runner.

Solo

Son of Godzilla said:
I lovelovelove this game. It is great, awesome, spectacular. How did shit like Bioshock get hyped over this?

I love the game too. It might be GOTY - if it keeps up this quality throughout and tops Bioshock. In other words, Mass Effect is great, but so is Bioshock, which is hardly "shit". For me, both are head and shoulders above everything else this year.

Dina

Blackace said:
I think the soundtrack was really hit or miss some times it was awesome and others really cheesy.... and the end song was trash imo.

The trailer song by The Faunts? I think it's amazing and I play it on my iPod almost every day.

bathala

Banned
I finished the game and the main story doesn't feel epic. Compared to FF series or Oblivion

I thought u'll go to krogan planets, asari planets. quarian fleet, and turian planets to interact with them instead there's only the Citadel.

When i went to the moon mission and saw Earth, i told myself sweet i'll be able to go there. Not.

here's hoping for bigger better universe for the sequel

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Can someone explain why the humans are such a-holes? Is it a part of the larger story (I am still early in the game). For an example, why are they yelling at the doctor they go to save when they take her up on the elevator? I'm enjoying the game a lot, but this is the most annoying factor to me. Even with your conversation options, it's hard not to be an ignorant ass.

Like for an example, why is Sheppard so convinced the Reapers exist? Because he saw the vision? Whenever people question if they exist, it's like he takes personal offence. Shepard, and his crew, make so many unnecessary assumptions when wiser people would find evidence instead.

Picard he's not.

I hope there's a point to it later in the story, up till now they come across really self-righteous and arrogant.

One of the side missions,
the religious leader one. There's no way to avoid killing him. It seems really unnecessary as you have no actual evidence that he's done anything horrible other than being misguided and having more misguided people following him.
Killing him for that seems extreme. Killing in some ignorant self-righteous belief that you have of being the good guy always irks me and there's plenty of that in this game (so far).

On another note, I'm getting tired of games being designed as trilogies. It's just a personal pet-peeve but I hope others feel the same. Having to wait another 2 years (and then another 2 years) to finish the story doesn't make me loyal to the trilogy, I just find it frustrating.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Thunderbear said:
Can someone explain why the humans are such a-holes? Is it a part of the larger story (I am still early in the game). For an example, why are they yelling at the doctor they go to save when they take her up on the elevator? I'm enjoying the game a lot, but this is the most annoying factor to me. Even with your conversation options, it's hard not to be an ignorant ass.

Like for an example, why is Sheppard so convinced the Reapers exist? Because he saw the vision? Whenever people question if they exist, it's like he takes personal offence. Shepard, and his crew, make so many unnecessary assumptions when wiser people would find evidence instead.

Picard he's not.

I hope there's a point to it later in the story, up till now they come across really self-righteous and arrogant.

the religious leader one. There's no way to avoid killing him. It seems really unnecessary as you have no actual evidence that he's done anything horrible other than being misguided and having more misguided people following him.
Killing him for that seems extreme. Killing in some ignorant self-righteous belief that you have of being the good guy always irks me and there's plenty of that in this game (so far).

On another note, I'm getting tired of games being designed as trilogies. It's just a personal pet-peeve but I hope others feel the same. Having to wait another 2 years (and then another 2 years) to finish the story doesn't make me loyal to the trilogy, I just find it frustrating.

The religious leader can be saved with sufficient charm.

But funnily enough, I still killed all his followers.

After convincing them that I just wanted to help them, I walked into the base... didn't find Kyle and proceeded to murder all of them. Then I got to Kyle and his story had picked up off the fact that I walked into the base (initially) unaggressive. Managed to convince him to give it up.

Blackace

Dina said:
The trailer song by The Faunts? I think it's amazing and I play it on my iPod almost every day.

great.. all you have proved to me is that you like music I think sucks

Blackace

Thunderbear said:

I didn't
kill him.. I talked him into coming in..

there are so many ways to play depending on have you make your character and when you do missions

Uncle

Thunderbear said:

If you are talking about the biotic community, then you are wrong. You just don't have the required skills.

I think my game may have been bugged. Anyone playing a renegade and has done more than half the story missions can help me.

In the section of the game where the shattered colonies inhabitants have been taken over by the plantlike creature, and you are given the option to either gas them or kill them, what happens if you kill them ALL. I left one behind in my first playthrough and it said "you tried to save some, thats better than what most would do" (or some crap). On my second playthrough I killed every last one of them and it said exactly the same thing! Has anyone experienced this any differently?

Gattsu25

Banned
Thunderbear said:
There are two entirely non-violent outcomes for this mission. Your charm/intimidate skills are too low.

burgerdog

Does anyone know if you get the ally achievement as soon as you've done 50 quests? Or do you get it at a specific point in the game all the time?

Belgorim

burgerdog said:
Does anyone know if you get the ally achievement as soon as you've done 50 quests? Or do you get it at a specific point in the game all the time?
People are reporting getting them during the game... I however got mine at the end cut-scene.

Belgorim said:
People are reporting getting them during the game... I however got mine at the end cut-scene.

I just got the kaiden achievement last night while finishing a sidequest Iam only just started Virmire. Iam still waiting for Ashley's though.

Got some questions for those who are on their 2nd+ run.
I heard you keep the sheppard's armor and weapons into your next game, but what about the other characters? I just bought some really good armor for characters I am not using and want to know if that will carry over to my next play through (equiped and not equiped).

Also If I beat the game with the achievements and create new character will I be able to start the new character with the achievement bonuses? or is this only with the character I beat the game with?

JayDubya

Banned
Toonami 99 said:
I just got the kaiden achievement last night while finishing a sidequest Iam only just started Virmire. Iam still waiting for Ashley's though.

If you've been using them both the whole time, you must be really close to unlocking Ashley, then.

Be sure and bring Ashley with you and send Kaidan to the AA tower. That *might* be enough to unlock Ashley.

And if not, and you really want that achievement, well...

... you HAVE to save Ashley when you're forced to choose to save one or the other.

Got some questions for those who are on their 2nd+ run.
I heard you keep the sheppard's armor and weapons into your next game, but what about the other characters? I just bought some really good armor for characters I am not using and want to know if that will carry over to my next play through (equiped and not equiped).

Everyone drops everything they were carrying and it goes into your inventory.

Also If I beat the game with the achievements and create new character will I be able to start the new character with the achievement bonuses? or is this only with the character I beat the game with?

Every character. So like, you Ally Bonuses and Experience point bonuses effect all characters.

So a Completionist that's beaten the game and has a L60 would have a very significant EXP Gain for all future characters.

Hence me going for all those bonuses on my first character before starting others.

Gattsu25

Banned
JayDubya said:

... you HAVE to save Ashley when you're forced to choose to save one or the other.
I can't think of
any
reason why you wouldn't make that choice

JayDubya

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
I can't think of
any
reason why you wouldn't make that choice

I can. Kaidan is a good character. He's very versatile - if you bring him along you've got all your bases covered in terms of unlocking and healing. With Electronics AND Barrier he should essentially never die. If you're a Soldier yourself, he's often more valuable than Ash.

One major problem with being a Sentinel is that you need a heaping shit-ton of talent points to be really worthwhile. Whereas Assault Training 12 and Fitness 12 are gravy you lather on top of Shotgun / Assault Rifle / Sniper Rifle 12 + Combat Armor 12 (additional weapons for versatility are also gravy).

I guess what I'm saying is that while highly gear-dependent, Soldier is going perform better at lower levels than any other class. Whereas the Sentinel's chief advantage, versatility, is really only going to shine near the end. A Sentinel Shepard is going to have some much needed extra talent points.

You CAN, of course, get by without any Biotic party members, though, and Soldier / Infiltrator Shepard, Ashley, Garrus all with sniper rifles is a pretty nice way to use Ash as a Soldier Shepard. Well, if you're an Infiltrator, you can use her as a solid tank.

Gattsu25

Banned
JayDubya said:
I can. Kaidan is a good character. He's very versatile - if you bring him along you've got all your bases covered in terms of unlocking and healing. With Electronics AND Barrier he should essentially never die. If you're a Soldier yourself, he's often more valuable than Ash.

You CAN, of course, get by without any Biotic party members, though, and Soldier / Infiltrator Shepard, Ashley, Garrus all with sniper rifles is a pretty nice way to use Ash as a Soldier Shepard. Well, if you're an Infiltrator, you can use her as a solid tank.
It was a joke, but these are all very good points.

I have yet to try a non-biotic party loadout...next playthrough sounds as good as any to try that out.

JayDubya

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
It was a joke, but these are all very good points.

I have yet to try a non-biotic party loadout...next playthrough sounds as good as any to try that out.

Well, I beat the final scenario with Ashley and Garrus, and we were all toting sniper rifles with Frictionless and Tungsten VII. Veteran mode or not, the poor Geth had no chance against two Spectre X sniper rifles and something else, all with the bonus damage from Assault Training 12 and Sniper Rifle 12 (and Turian Agent, too!).

I think a Vanguard Shepard, Ashley, and Garrus would probably be my favorite party.

Why? Lots of hitpoints on the humans, first aid and huge bonus shield points on Garrus, all bases covered, and your team will be effective in both staying behind and blasting with Sniper Rifles (making waypoints fun and useful) OR fighting alongside with assault rifles from medium range. Meanwhile, you're blasting Lifted foes with a Shotgun. Win.

JayDubya said:
If you've been using them both the whole time, you must be really close to unlocking Ashley, then.

Be sure and bring Ashley with you and send Kaidan to the AA tower. That *might* be enough to unlock Ashley.

Everyone drops everything they were carrying and it goes into your inventory.

Every character. So like, you Ally Bonuses and Experience point bonuses effect all characters.

So a Completionist that's beaten the game and has a L60 would have a very significant EXP Gain for all future characters.

Hence me going for all those bonuses on my first character before starting others.

I thought this might happen, thank god I saved before starting the assult. I think Ill keep ashley my first try through and if I get the achievement go through again and kill her off unless I get the oppertunity to get with her :p after wards.

Thats good to hear about the new characters getting the bonus. I might as well delete my female character and start her up after getting Completionist, L60, hardcore, etc.

ShinAmano

I was hoping one of you could let me know which class has the Stasis, Singularity and Neural Shock abilities...after tonight they are the only achievements i will have left.

arhra

me said:

Just finished this game. 54 by the end credits :lol

I wonder if the headstart will be enough to get me to 60 in one more play-through...

ShinAmano said:
I was hoping one of you could let me know which class has the Stasis, Singularity and Neural Shock abilities...after tonight they are the only achievements i will have left.
Stasis = Sentinel or Adept
Singularity = Adept
Neural Shock = Sentinel

bengraven

Played a couple hours last night. Must say I'm a bit disappointed, but very hopeful.

My impressions:

-I said when some of the last videos came out that I hated male Shep's face and was hoping they replaced it. They didn't. He sounds even worse now. Luckily he only has a short line between long alien rants.

-Graphics are beautiful, as expected, and the frame-rate is thankfully more stable than KOTOR. I don't have a problem with games having a few nasty textures here and there, however, this game has some gross Xbox 1-ish textures right out in the open, on people's faces or armor. Nothing to ruin the deal since for every nasty texture, there's fifty beautiful, shiny ones.

Also, what's up with the Halo 2 texture popping on characters? What MS fill in studio is fucking that up with both games?

- Not far enough into the story to really get excited yet, but the presentation is fantastic. I can't wait to get farther in and listen to some of the articles in the codex. Music is very cool, like everyone said, with that Dawn of the Dead/Blade Runner vibe.

- Combat is passable and thankfully better than I expected. Still not perfect, but this is an RPG not a shooter.

All in all, I'm loving the game, but it's not that rush that other RPGs gave me in the first few hours, like KOTOR 1 or Oblivion. We'll see what happens.

JayDubya

Banned
Toonami 99 said:
Thats good to hear about the new characters getting the bonus. I might as well delete my female character and start her up after getting Completionist, L60, hardcore, etc.

Indeed. This is what I am doing.

Currently planning to try each character type once, but only doing the Hardcore / Insanity / get to L60 thing once. Unless I feel those last 10 character points would make a huge difference in the fun factor of playing as that character. Because they sure aren't for my Soldier. :lol Things are just taking longer to kill - I was already at full power when reaching L50 and buying a Spectre X assault rifle. Well, that's not entirely true. My Mark VIII upgrades are now all Mark X.

I'm wondering what's the earliest level other folks have been when they've first seen / bought / found Colossus armor. Predator X in Heavy for Humans has been the best thing I found that wasn't Wrex's Battlemaster Armor.

Never even seen a Colossus that wasn't for Turians yet.

DeadGzuz

Banned
bengraven said:
Also, what's up with the Halo 2 texture popping on characters? What MS fill in studio is fucking that up with both games?

It's an Unreal Engine texture streaming thing. Bioshock did it, RS:V did it, Gears did it. My favorite mini-game in Bioshock was finding some low res texture like on a poster and waiting for the high res version to pop in.

Booda

bengraven said:
All in all, I'm loving the game, but it's not that rush that other RPGs gave me in the first few hours, like KOTOR 1 or Oblivion. We'll see what happens.

I was kind of "meh" on the game for the first couple of hours; it came across as a high-res KOTOR retread, minus the Star Wars license. Fun, but not outstanding, which made the technical hiccups more bothersome.

Once the game opens up, though (about 4 hours in for me), it takes on a whole different vibe, and now it's got its hooks in me good. Stayed up way too late last night just messing around and I can't wait to get back to it.

Top Bottom