• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Review Discussion Thread: Cry about ur almost-perfects in here

Under construction beginning 11/23

I'm doing the official thread a kindness, we're going to move the review discussions into here. The game has been leaked at KMart and there is actual discussion and impressions on the game in the official thread, so we'll keep all the shockingly low scores in here.

EGM - 9, 9.5, 9

GameInformer - 9.75
Reiner said:
This is the next big franchise for science fiction junkies to latch onto, and a huge step forward for videogames.

Mass Effect is one of video games' greatest treasures. It's an adventure that is so captivating that you'll be counting the days for a sequel. It takes interactive storytelling to new heights, and brings the player closer to content than ever before. It's easily one of the year's best titles, and one of the most impressive games to date.

OXM US - 10/10

OXM Australia - 10/10
Mass Effect is an RPG with certified mass appeal, and along with Bioshock it's one of the finest forms of pure escapism the video game medium has served up this console generation.

Xbox World 360 - 90%
GOOD: Seamless Interaction
GOOD: Never Feels Linear
BAD: Technical Problems Niggle

Overall
Mass Effect Is epic, engaging and emotional but Mass Effect Is flawed, but one hell of a tale!

on the grand scale:
GarthVaderUK said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have at it and provide some quotes [with the reviewer's name, please] for the OP so we have some context to base arguments on.

OXM Australia - 10/10

Mass Effect is an RPG with certified mass appeal, and along with Bioshock it's one of the finest forms of pure ecapism the videogame medium has served up this console generation.

Xbox World 360 (UK mag) - 90%

Overall
Mass Effect Is epic, engaging and emotional but Mass Effect Is flawed, but one hell of a tale!

Wait it's leaked? Fucking A, I might go pick it up today then. Also, normally I don't like Bioware games but those scores are pretty convincing.

Thank god we have one of these. I ought to make one for Rock Band because the shit that happened today with Assassin's Creed was like bananary.

Ketchup Boy

cool, need to beat bioshock and then get halo 3 and beat that and also get a wii and beat super mario galaxy and then i can get this, i can't wait for winter break!!

jvalioli

dr3upmushroom said:
Wait it's leaked? Fucking A, I might go pick it up today then. Also, normally I don't like Bioware games but those scores are pretty convincing.
A lot of K-Marts are out of stock from people plowing through them last weekend. Good luck if you're going to search.

I'm pretty depressed that I couldn't find this at any of the K-marts I checked, but I sorta feel better knowing that I can use my $25 Mario TRU gift card to buy it.

dr3upmushroom said:
Good luck with that. K-mart is surely aware of the error they made by now.

Draft

I've actually been enveloped by the hype. I loved KOTOR, hated Jade Empire (haaaaaaaated) and was gonna take a pass on what was looking more and more like Jade Empire... in SPAAAAAAACE. But the almost universally positive impressions and the deluge of massive review scores has swayed me.

pswii60

cjelly said:
Bioshock - Halo 3 - Mass Effect

The circle is complete.

Even though I didn't think much of Bioshock.

Neither did I.

Good scores for ME. Interested to know what stopped Xbox World giving it > 90% though.

GhaleonEB

cjelly said:
Bioshock - Halo 3 - Mass Effect

The circle is complete.

Even though I didn't think much of Bioshock.
Ditto on yer spoilerz. I hope to have ME by year-end, but damn it's going to be a tough wait. :(

GarthVaderUK said:
OXM Australia - 10/10
Mass Effect is an RPG with certified mass appeal, and along with Bioshock it's one of the finest forms of pure escapism the video game medium has served up this console generation.
Xbox World 360 (UK mag) - 90%

Overall
Thanks for the scores. Can I get names for the quotes?
BenjaminBirdie said:
Thank god we have one of these. I ought to make one for Rock Band because the shit that happened today with Assassin's Creed was like bananary.
It made February's SSX Blur thread look like a diet version of which reviewers are doing their jobs : /

EmSeta

Draft said:
I've actually been enveloped by the hype. I loved KOTOR, hated Jade Empire (haaaaaaaated) and was gonna take a pass on what was looking more and more like Jade Empire... in SPAAAAAAACE. But the almost universally positive impressions and the deluge of massive review scores has swayed me.

I've only played for about an hour, and to me, it feels like Jade Empire in space. (IE: bad) :(

I hear it gets better, though... so I'll give it another chance.

Draft said:

Yeah me too, but didn't Jade Empire get great reviews when it came out?

I am NOT playing Jade Empire in space, no friggin' way. Don't disappoint me (yet again) Bioware!!

Treo360

This is not Jade Empire, no, not by a light year. Already about 6 hours in and man, it feels Epic.

Frame rate does plunge here and there in intense battles. Oh and there is texture pop-in every once and a while just like Gears.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The game definitely feels "epic" from the very beginning. There's a ton of recorded dialog in the game. The Cidadal or whatever it's called looks awesome and so does your ship. My only gripe with the game so far is the weird texture loading/pop in and the framerate right now. Other than that, this game is simply kick ass.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
here's a heads up.

Review embargo is November 19th for many websites on the net. My review of the game also will go up on Monday.

Just a hint -- I am in total love of the game.

Treo360 said:
This is not Jade Empire, no, not by a light year. Already about 6 hours in and man, it feels Epic.

Frame rate does plunge here and there in intense battles. Oh and there is texture pop-in every once and a while just like Gears.

Well that's good to hear, but I'd be interested in your opinion when you are about, oh let's say 20 hours in. *fingers crossed*

As for pop-ins, veteran Xbox users are accustomed to that. ie. Halo 2.

jjasper

Treo360 said:

This is good to hear. I loved KOTOR but loathed Jade.

How is the screen tearing?

TTG

At this point the reviews won't tell much either way. If it's high, is it KOTOR good? Or Jade Empire overrated? If it's a low score... well who are we kidding, it will not be a low score. Even if it is we'll just blame the reviewers. :lol

Anyway, when are IGN/Gamespot reviews going up? Friday?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
EnjoyIncubus said:
Good luck with that. K-mart is surely aware of the error they made by now.
Are we sure the window is closed on this? I've got Thanksgiving travel plans so it'd sure be nice to get a jump start on the game this weekend.

dante786

Banned
citrus lump said:
Boring gameplay, uninteresting character designs, bad art, etc.

WOWWW.....Mass effect has uninteresting character designs and bad art?? Please get out man, you clearly have nothing to contribute here. Boring gameplay I can't see the case for, but I havent played the game myself. The so far stellar reviews seem to indicate otherwise. Pretty sad dude.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Guys do everyone a favor and ignore him.

feedtrollfe16a.jpg

chris0701 said:
Gamespot 8.5...I bet.

If it goes 10,MELTDOWN.:lol

I hope it gets 8.5's at Gamespot, 1up, IGN, etc. just to avoid all the fucking idiots around here. If I have to read about biases, moneyhats, or how certain sites give higher scores to games because they're on the 360 I'm going to fucking flip. It's seriously retarded. These people are certifiable morons.

If they want to ban stupid memes, they should include that bullshit.

dante786 said:
WOWWW.....Mass effect has uninteresting character designs and bad art?? Please get out man, you clearly have nothing to contribute here. Boring gameplay I can't see the case for, but I havent played the game myself. The so far stellar reviews seem to indicate otherwise. Pretty sad dude.

If someone were to give me a free 360 under the circumstance that I play through one of Bioware's games, I'd give the thing back and say, "No thanks."

citrus lump said:
If someone were to give me a free 360 under the circumstance that I play through one of Bioware's games, I'd give the thing back and say, "No thanks."

What the fuck. Isn't there some Zelda thread you could be masturbating to?

Top Bottom