• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Review Discussion Thread: Cry about ur almost-perfects in here

Prine

Banned
Greatest year in videogame history.

fact

Dont think i've owned a console with so many AAA game released within such a short time frame. The only one that comes close is DC back in 2000?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Prine said:
Greatest year in videogame history.

fact

Dont think i've owned a console with so many AAA game released within such a short time frame. The only one that comes close is DC back in 2000?

2002 is the main competition.

Time will tell.

MCermak

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I hope it gets 8.5's at Gamespot, 1up, IGN, etc. just to avoid all the fucking idiots around here. If I have to read about biases, moneyhats, or how certain sites give higher scores to games because they're on the 360 I'm going to fucking flip. It's seriously retarded. These people are certifiable morons.

If they want to ban stupid memes, they should include that bullshit.

I'd agree with getting rid of that meme. However, Mass Effect is a game that possibly deserves a 10, so I don't think people would be calling moneyhat on it. They would just be shocked. (I don't think it will get a 10, but shit, Halo 3 and Gears got around 9.5 and I think this will best those in actual worth) I don't think it will be a ratchet and clank situation though. I'm guessing nothing below a 9.

FFChris

danwarb said:
Is anyone complaining about graphics? Mass Effect looks as good as it ever has.

I think he means the occasional slowdown and v-sync issues, which pretty much all the reviews have said is the negative in the game.

SnakeXs said:
2002 is the main competition.

Time will tell.

Uh, Rock Band lets you make your own action figure. From the lead guitarist you made up yourself. That you can have. On your desk.

It's the best year ever, full stop.

MCermak

6.8 said:
I think you're a bit naive.

Maybe naive, maybe just optimistic.

But you lack reading comprehension. Try reading between the parentheses. There is always going to be someone who thinks that there is some behind the scenes stuff at work, but I think that most people would just be excited. Seems like a silly reason for not wanting it to score high.

Tieno

Lince said:
I might buy this but does anyone know if the Limited Edition is the same as Halo 3? same case and all...
LukeSmith said it's like the Gears of War LE case, not like Halo 3.

Odrion

Banned
2004 was the previous year of fucking awesome games. Half Life 2, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, Ratchet and Clank: Goddamn Awesome, Guitar Hero, San Andreas, etc.

What was 2002? Splinter Cell and Metroid Prime?

Actually woah, 2002 was fucking awesome then.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I've heard all kinds of strange things about this game from friends who have played it. But the most surprising thing is probably that the game is very short (unless you spend a lot of time on the side-quests, I guess).

cjelly said:
Bioshock - Halo 3 - Mass Effect

The circle is complete.

Even though I didn't think much of Bioshock.

Agreed. I was beginning to feel like I was crazy, but it's just not doing it for me even though I can recognize why others love it. But back on topic, the reviews for Mass Effect are really encouraging so far. I could care less what the numerical scores are (the fact that some people are complaining about 9's and such is beyond sanity), che's impressions in the official thread and that Gametrailers combat video were all I needed to convince me to order the Limited Edition and embarrisingly enough... the prequel novel.

bcn-ron said:
The OP is lacking links to the reviews. The choice quotes focus exclusively on story and character interaction. Most of the video coverage has been about the dialog system.
All reviews in the OP so far are from magazines. There are scans available but I'm in no mood to get banned : /

If you're worried about combat, listen to some of the last few 1UP yours podcasts or check out impressions in the official thread. Let's try and avoid another Assassin's Creed or Uncharted gameplay polarization for the month.

Mr. Spinnington said:
All reviews in the OP so far are from magazines. There are scans available but I'm in no mood to get banned : /

If you're worried about combat, listen to some of the last few 1UP yours podcasts or check out impressions in the official thread. Let's try and avoid another Assassin's Creed or Uncharted gameplay polarization for the month.

Really theres only one way to split people into two groups here and thats the people who love bioware games "KOTOR" or people who used to love bioware games "BG2"

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I find bioware games boring as hell. Kotor and Jade Empire literately put me to sleep but for some reason I have some high hopes for this one (I said the same about jade empire though :( ). Actually I hate all american RPGs including Oblivion because the stories are so weak unless they are addictive like Diablo. However is this turns out good I will probably buy an elite for it since I sold my 360.

I have some questions for the fans. Will this be another Kotor? I put that game down after one hour of play and never looked back so please tell me no. Is the story any good? Some of the acting seems cheesy from the videos but I kind of like it so how much of it is voice acted? Is the leveling system like Diablo or Baldur's gate? How are your powers gained? If its like diablo I am sold, if its like Kotor then :| ZzZzzzz

Can anyone put my concerns to rest?

Solo

Mass Effect had better deliver. This past 2 weeks has been full of too much bomba. Its the last game this year that has a shot to knock off Bioshock from my personal GotY slot.

FFChris

bcn-ron said:
Did any reviewer ever say anything positive about the combat, or do they still avoid touching upon that at all?

Do you make it your business to actively troll 360 games, or is it now more of a reflex action?

Your comments, in this thread and others, are always so predictable.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
PistolGrip said:
I find bioware games boring as hell. Kotor and Jade Empire literately put me to sleep but for some reason I have some high hopes for this one (I said the same about jade empire though :( ). Actually I hate all american RPGs including Oblivion because the stories are so weak unless they are addictive like Diablo. However is this turns out good I will probably buy an elite for it since I sold my 360.

I have some questions for the fans. Will this be another Kotor? I put that game down after one hour of play and never looked back so please tell me no. Is the story any good? Some of the acting seems cheesy from the videos but I kind of like it so how much of it is voice acted? Is the leveling system like Diablo or Baldur's gate? How are your powers gained? If its like diablo I am sold, if its like Kotor then :| ZzZzzzz

Can anyone put my concerns to rest?

The story has a very similar feel to many other sci-fi story archs.

An ancient race is being alluded to for a return to whipe out all civilization. There's an ancient race that left behind their technology and vanished (saw this in KOTOR),

The villain is on par with say Darth Sion rather than Darth Malak (so far at least). In literal terms, he's more of a brute with a few wiley tricks up his sleeve rather than a crazed brainiac.

The supporting cast is great and provide a lot of insight for missions. One of them reminds me of one of the Bioware producers I met (so you can assume he's human) with modeling and looks.

Is the story ground-breaking? In some ways it is. It takes a lot of elements from others and molds them into one. The music reminds me of Blade Runner that is eery and ambient rather than say Halo 3's grand orchestra mixed with electric guitar and piano.

The dialogue will bore you if you thought KOTOR 1 and Jade Empire were boring. Not all the text is there so you don't have to read a whole book at night to know the storyline. The spoken dialogue is incredible and is the closest thing to the movies in terms of how they put it together.

The action is more fast-paced than I originally imagined. The second planet I visited reminded me of Lost Planet which is a good thing. The teammates are meatheads though and will stand in your way. The powers that are granted to biotechs are impressive -- having someone lifted into the air while my team shoots chemical bullets into him and then throwing him across the room with another ability is darn sweet.

I can provide more impressions since I am starting my review tonight but I am going to review Bladestorm right now, so maybe later I'll answer any questions that anyone will have.

Also, in response to all the screen tearing -- if you had problems with Gears, you'll have problems with Mass Effect. In dialogue, the game is a 10 in graphics. Outside, it's more of a 9.5 or so. Things often halt for 2 seconds to load up (as they did with Oblivion) and the framerates happen to stutter from time to time.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Caspel said:
The story has a very similar feel to many other sci-fi story archs.

An ancient race is being alluded to for a return to whipe out all civilization. There's an ancient race that left behind their technology and vanished (saw this in KOTOR),

The villain is on par with say Darth Sion rather than Darth Malak (so far at least). In literal terms, he's more of a brute with a few wiley tricks up his sleeve rather than a crazed brainiac.

The supporting cast is great and provide a lot of insight for missions. One of them reminds me of one of the Bioware producers I met (so you can assume he's human) with modeling and looks.

Is the story ground-breaking? In some ways it is. It takes a lot of elements from others and molds them into one. The music reminds me of Blade Runner that is eery and ambient rather than say Halo 3's grand orchestra mixed with electric guitar and piano.

The dialogue will bore you if you thought KOTOR 1 and Jade Empire were boring. Not all the text is there so you don't have to read a whole book at night to know the storyline. The spoken dialogue is incredible and is the closest thing to the movies in terms of how they put it together.

The action is more fast-paced than I originally imagined. The second planet I visited reminded me of Lost Planet which is a good thing. The teammates are meatheads though and will stand in your way. The powers that are granted to biotechs are impressive -- having someone lifted into the air while my team shoots chemical bullets into him and then throwing him across the room with another ability is darn sweet.

I can provide more impressions since I am starting my review tonight but I am going to review Bladestorm right now, so maybe later I'll answer any questions that anyone will have.

Also, in response to all the screen tearing -- if you had problems with Gears, you'll have problems with Mass Effect. In dialogue, the game is a 10 in graphics. Outside, it's more of a 9.5 or so. Things often halt for 2 seconds to load up (as they did with Oblivion) and the framerates happen to stutter from time to time.
Thank you sir.

Hi guys, here's the score so far:

GarthVaderUK said:
Scores summary:

OXM US: 10/10
OXM Australia: 10/10
GameSpy: 5/5
GamerTV: 5/5
Xbox Evolved: 9.8/10
Game Informer: 9.75/10
GameTrailers: 9.6/10
TeamXbox: 9.6
IGN: 9.4/10
EGM: 9/10, 9.5/10, 9/10
CVG: 9/10
Gamesmaster: 90%
Video Game Talk: 4.5/5
Xbox World 360: 90%
Eurogamer: 8/10
I'll fix up the OP later, but I'd like the official thread to be mainly impressions and game discussion. Do all your pissing and wanking in here, okay?

Ahh... I wondered where this thread went.

Apparently Hardcore Gamer Magazine gave this an 8/10 (I have no idea who they are but metacritic lists them)

FrankT

Psychotext said:
I have a feeling the 1up review will be an 8 as well.

Who is reviewing for 1up? I saw Che mention something about "Greg" giving it an 8.5. Time will tell. If it is Garnett I expect nothing less than a 9 as well.

Rowsdower

Scores summary:

OXM US: 10/10
OXM Australia: 10/10
GameSpy: 5/5
GamerTV: 5/5
Xbox Evolved: 9.8/10
Game Informer: 9.75/10
GameTrailers: 9.6/10
TeamXbox: 9.6
IGN: 9.4/10
EGM: 9/10, 9.5/10, 9/10
CVG: 9/10
Gamesmaster: 90%
Video Game Talk: 4.5/5
Xbox World 360: 90%
Eurogamer: 8/10

Good. And expected.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Psychotext said:
Ahh... I wondered where this thread went.

Apparently Hardcore Gamer Magazine gave this an 8/10 (I have no idea who they are but metacritic lists them)
Some ex-Gamefan got together to make a new magazine. It started from a thread on TNL I think.

I suspect them of giving high profile games low scores to gain either "cred" or notoriety. They also gave Bioshock an 8.5/10 which is one of the lowest scores it got.

EDIT: TNL thread ( http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/showthread.php?t=33808 )

JayDubya

Banned
temp said:
I like that I can laugh at bad scores instead of worry about them.

Well, I can sympathize with him somewhat. I wish Bioware would still be making incredibly complex 2D RPGs on the PC. Cinematic and with a blend of action shooter is not my ideal. I can still appreciate it though. If I were a bit older and a bit more curmudgeonly than I already am, I might be right there with this guy.

Still, seems to be a case of reviewing the game you don't have in front of you rather than the one you do.

Psychotext said:
Is that the review?!? Doesn't say a lot. :lol

Each slide has more text associated with it.

CushVA

http://kotaku.com/gaming/reviews/mass-effect-extended-impressionsok-review-324191.php

By the time this article hits, most major review sites will have already dissected Bioware's latest creation, Mass Effect. I have no clue how it will be received—not that the game isn't great, which I'll explore in a moment—but whether or not reviewers will find too many small bugs, from texture pop-ins to the occasional glitch in a side mission/storyline to admit that the game is great.

Jtyettis said:
Who is reviewing for 1up? I saw Che mention something about "Greg" giving it an 8.5. Time will tell. If it is Garnett I expect nothing less than a 9 as well.

Che was referring to Greg Orlando, and I think Greg does the majority of his writing for Play.

Top Bottom