• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/20 - 10/26

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I don't get it... if the low sales of the PS3 are because of the new bundle coming, then what explains the good X360 sales???

If console buyers are waiting for the bundle, why are they buying 360s instead? Is the HD era reviving? People really expect a big bump from a bundle??

I need Vinks report NOW!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MC-THREAD-CSCHARTS-TITLE.png

tn_mc-2-consoles-weekly-pie-100.png
tn_mc-3-consoles-weekly-line-100.png
tn_mc-4-consoles-LTDs-100.png

tn_mc-5-consoles-markeshare-line-100.png
tn_mc-5-consoles-markeshare-pie-100.png
tn_mc-6-consoles-marketshare-line-100.png

tn_mc-7-consoles-YOY2-weekly-100.png
tn_mc-7-consoles-YOY-weekly-100.png
tn_mc-8-consoles-YOY-YTD-100.png

>>CLICK HERE FOR FULL CONSOLE CHARTS<<

(edit: new page)

donny2112

manueldelalas said:
If console buyers are waiting for the bundle, why are they buying 360s instead?

Who says it's "instead"? I think it's current PS3 owners who want the games that they thought would be coming to the PS3 but instead are coming to the 360 who are buying a significant portion of the 360s at the moment. As for the upturn, it started around the time of the RPG announcements for the 360 in the summer. Other than shortage periods, it's been consistently "high".

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
manueldelalas said:
I don't get it... if the low sales of the PS3 are because of the new bundle coming, then what explains the good X360 sales???

If console buyers are waiting for the bundle, why are they buying 360s instead? Is the HD era reviving? People really expect a big bump from a bundle??

I need Vinks report NOW!

I think we have a misconception of what is "good" vs. what is "bad."

We're talking about an average of a 3k-5k difference over the past couple months. How can one be "good" and one be "bad?"

They're both bad.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
PantherLotus said:

We're talking about an average of a 3k-5k difference over the past couple months. How can one be "good" and one be "bad?"

They're both bad.

For the 360, it is really great, considering how low were its sales before, and considering the original Xbox sales...

The PS3 has horrible numbers right now (for me, anything below 14k for PS3 is horrible in Japan)

donny2112 said:
Who says it's "instead"? I think it's current PS3 owners who want the games that they thought would be coming to the PS3 but instead are coming to the 360 who are buying a significant portion of the 360s at the moment. As for the upturn, it started around the time of the RPG announcements for the 360 in the summer. Other than shortage periods, it's been consistently "high".

I say instead; last year the worst imaginable PS3 numbers were 8k and the average 360 numbers were 2k (generous here); now 360 is selling 8k and Ps3 3-4k; so I'm really not seeing a growth in HD console sales, and I think it's the same public buying both.

Gaborn

PantherLotus said:

They're both bad.

In an absolute sense? Sure, compared to the Wii they're both bad. But they never had identical expectations, the 360 is doing significantly better than most people would have predicted, say, a year ago, or 6 months even, and the PS3... people knew, a year ago that it was going to sell poorly, they knew it a year and a half ago even, it was clear very early on that it was never going to live up to the promise of the PS2. But you can't tell me that even 3 months ago you thought the PS3 would EVER be this low. So relative to expectations the 360 is probably exceeding what most people thought they could sustain, and the PS3 has probably sunk lower than even most pessimistic people would have thought.

Vinnk

manueldelalas said:

I need Vinks report NOW!

Sorry I have been busy. This week I launched a brand new Japanese Retro game site.

Here is a very mini report:

Otaku games are loving the Xbox 360 right now. The mainstream are still ingoring it but I have never seen the Microsoft booth so busy at this years TGS. I used to always hang out there because of the short lines to play games. Not so this year. And when I went to the GMT Concert at TGS (which was sponsored by Microsoft and Myspace) the MC opened saying:

"Who out there likes Xbox 360?"

And the crowd went nuts. Almost everyone raised their hands and cheered. Last year this question would probably have been greeted with silence.

No, the Xbox is not taking Jpaan by storm but there are a number of Harcore gamers who see it as a necessary choice for their RPG needs (a few of my friends told me as much) and worthly of keeping for more than just one game (used 360s have never been as rare in my town as this month).

But the mainstream gamers in my town still don't seem to care at all.

toypop

PS3 '07

Sep/wk3 10,732
Sep/wk4 13,105
Oct/wk1 10,822 - 10/9 Sony announced "real" price-cut and new 40GB model. also slashed 40 bucks for 20/60GB models in market.
Oct/wk2 12,365 - People start buying 20/60GB models for PS2 B/C. (I guess.)
Oct/wk3 17,130
Oct/wk4 18,785 - '07 model 360 value was released and sold 17k. (w/ forza2 and pinata)
Nov/wk1 55,924 - 05-11th. released 40GB model at 11th. sold 37k for 1st day.
Nov/wk2 39,178
Nov/wk3 50,564

PS3 '08

Sep/wk3 8,156
Sep/wk4 8,275
Oct/wk1 7,232
Oct/wk2 5,734 - 06-12th. Sony announced new 80GB PS3 on 9th.
Oct/wk3 4,725
Oct/wk4 3,931
Nov/wk1 ????? - On 30th, 80GB model and LBP were released. typical weekday, unlike '07.
Nov/wk2 ????? - '08 model 360 value will be released. (w/ AC6 and katamari)

We have three holidays this weekend here in Japan. (Saturday to Monday).
I think It'll add some boosts for family type SW/HW like Wii, DSi and ... Girls Mode!!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinnk said:
Sorry I have been busy. This week I launched a brand new Japanese Retro game site.

Here is a very mini report:

Otaku games are loving the Xbox 360 right now. The mainstream are still ingoring it but I have never seen the Microsoft booth so busy at this years TGS. I used to always hang out there because of the short lines to play games. Not so this year. And when I went to the GMT Concert at TGS (which was sponsored by Microsoft and Myspace) the MC opened saying:

"Who out there likes Xbox 360?"

And the crowd went nuts. Almost everyone raised their hands and cheered. Last year this question would probably have been greeted with silence.

No, the Xbox is not taking Jpaan by storm but there are a number of Harcore gamers who see it as a necessary choice for their RPG needs (a few of my friends told me as much) and worthly of keeping for more than just one game (used 360s have never been as rare in my town as this month).

But the mainstream gamers in my town still don't seem to care at all.

Any warm up towards western games, or do they still shun them?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Gaborn said:
In an absolute sense? Sure, compared to the Wii they're both bad. But they never had identical expectations, the 360 is doing significantly better than most people would have predicted, say, a year ago, or 6 months even, and the PS3... people knew, a year ago that it was going to sell poorly, they knew it a year and a half ago even, it was clear very early on that it was never going to live up to the promise of the PS2. But you can't tell me that even 3 months ago you thought the PS3 would EVER be this low. So relative to expectations the 360 is probably exceeding what most people thought they could sustain, and the PS3 has probably sunk lower than even most pessimistic people would have thought.

Oh I get it, certainly. I just want people to be more specific. I for one thought the PS3 would have games by now; it doesn't. I for one thought the 360 would struggle to hit 1 million; it actually might.

Either way, the only thing 360 has done "well" in Japan is force Sony's hand, steal exclusives, and be a serious hardcore alternative for gamers. That's serious, especially since that crowd is a very large majority in the US, where 360 has been making a bigger play.

The overall strategy for MS is fascinating. They may have failed in Japan, but to force Sony's hand the way they have is the 2nd greatest master stroke of the generation (the first being Nintendo's everybody-but-the-hardcore strategy).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
kiruyama said:
So tenchu 4 did around 12-15k, eh. Hows that stack up against Tenchu Z or the handheld iterations?

12 to 15K for tenchu 4 on Wii , that very weak , I don't think Samurai 3 will do any better than this especially with PS3 performance , poor Acquire :(

lupin23rd

I think Krazy Ken Kutaragi is back in control @ Sony, and he is just letting shit roll down to 1000~ units a week before he says some krazy shit like it was all his plan to get behind and catch up
and then announce 15 new games
:lol

Vinnk

HK-47 said:
Any warm up towards western games, or do they still shun them?

There is indeed a small base of hardcore gamers who love FPS games who buy them But by and large Jpaanese gamers still don't care for the genre. Sports titles (Madden, NBA, ect) have an even smaller following.

But the Western produced action games I have actually heard people talking about a bit. I know someone who is really hyped about the new Prince of Persia game.

I really don't think it is entirely them shunning Western studios as much as the genres that Western Studios seem to make these days.

As for little big planet, I know 3 otaku gamers who have it pre-orderd. I asked if they were planning to make their own levels and share them. 2 of them don't currently have their PS3s hooked up to the internet and the 3rd said she might try it if it's not too hard.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
360 maintains its place even though the new value pack was announced that week and PS3 drops below 4k?!? :eek:

CANLI

Why a 100k difference (Rhythm Tengoku sales) between Famitsu and Media-Create??
Famitsu doesn't like this game?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
CANLI said:
Why a 100k difference (Rhythm Tengoku sales) between Famitsu and Media-Create??
Famitsu doesn't like this game?

Yes, that's absolutely correct. They don't like the game so they are intentionally altering their sales numbers to show everyone how much they hate it. Or it's a week behind. One of those, I think.

;)

Vinnk said:
As for little big planet, I know 3 otaku gamers who have it pre-orderd. I asked if they were planning to make their own levels and share them. 2 of them don't currently have their PS3s hooked up to the internet and the 3rd said she might try it if it's not too hard.

In my little town, for some reason the 2 game stores that sell new games(there's another 2 that only sell used). They had a ton of GT Packs, but not a single little big planet. I almost felt like asking what was going on.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Thanks. Who thinks 20K for PS3 next week?
I said at least 20-30k a while back, so yeah I'm with you.

mabuza said:
little big planet will push hardware sales to around 50k next week.
That would put it in range of what DW (and 40G and price drop and new colour and Schockaxis) achieved last year. I can't see it happening, but then I again I never thought PS3 would be below 4k for a week either.

Based on the most recent Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 202 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 149.9 weeks (January 11, 2003), where DS was at 90.7 weeks (August 25, 2006), and where GBA was at 131.1 weeks (September 21, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 150 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 14.8 weeks (December 21, 2001), where PS3 was at 17.5 weeks (March 7, 2007), and where Wii was at 3.9 weeks (December 23, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 102 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 22.1 weeks (July 30, 2000), where PSP was at 53.6 weeks (December 15, 2005), where GCN was at 102.6 weeks (August 28, 2003), and where Wii was at 24.1 weeks (May 13, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 99 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 90.3 weeks (December 10, 2002), where DS was at 70.7 weeks (April 6, 2006), where PS2 was at 99.1 weeks (January 20, 2002), and where PSP was at 154.8 weeks (November 23, 2007).

Both the PS3-GCN and Wii-PS2 crossovers were barely avoided this week, but should definitely happen the next.

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 27.5 / 72.5 bring total shares to 69.0 / 31.0. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 346.9 weeks (June 21, 2015). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 215.1 weeks (December 11, 2012).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 66.6 / 33.4 bring total shares to 23.7 / 76.3. At this week's rates X360 catches up to PS3 in 413.4 weeks (September 28, 2016). If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate it would catch up in 206.2 weeks (October 9, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 13.9 / 86.1 bring total shares to 25.4 / 74.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 1,159.8 weeks (January 18, 2031).

Week over week, everything is down. DSL down in anticipation of DSi. PSP down from its PSP-3000 launch high. The others just a little down.
X360

donny2112 said:
At least the PS3 is acting like the typical second-place system in Japan. Some people used to claim that the PS3 would be the exception and sell decently, despite it tracking close to the GameCube at the same point. "The GameCube dropped a lot later on, so the PS3 will pull away then." Uh-huh.
I still think this is completely possible. It wasn't long after this point in GCN's lifespan when it started to really go downhill and have only about a million units left in it. PS3 can at least aspire to N64 or Saturn numbers.
schuelma said:
Well, I have Wii selling 27K from 10/21-10/28 and the following week it goes up to 38K.
Galaxy bump!
manueldelalas said:
I've previously described it as a nadir meeting a zenith. PS3 was low to begin with, and became even lower once the new bundles were announced. X360 is up from normal thanks to recent high profile releases, so at least for the time being they've switched places on the weekly charts.

Jonnyram

JoshuaJSlone said:
I still think this is completely possible. It wasn't long after this point in GCN's lifespan when it started to really go downhill and have only about a million units left in it. PS3 can at least aspire to N64 or Saturn numbers.
That's not going to happen without a radical price drop, and we won't see a price drop in these times of financial trouble. Not a chance.

Jonnyram said:
That's not going to happen without a radical price drop, and we won't see a price drop in these times of financial trouble. Not a chance.
It's not like it will never see another price drop, or that the next generation is just around the corner. It may not have the brightest future, but things like FF XIII should give PS3 more post-2008 oases of brightness than post-2003 GCN had.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Somewhere, up in the Heavens, Jimbo is still smiling.
He has been smiling so much that his facial nerves might stay stuck this way forever.

Furret said:
So is that the smallest amount the PS3 has ever sold?

Or has it sunk lower before?
All-time low.

sphinx

the piano man
JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not like it will never see another price drop, or that the next generation is just around the corner. It may not have the brightest future, but things like FF XIII should give PS3 more post-2008 oases of brightness than post-2003 GCN had.

I am not sure about the power of Final Fantasy XIII. You are assuming the game will absolutely kick ass in every single possible way and that people will be mad about it. The game can still be "o.k", even with the pretty graphics, maybe they fuck up the battle system, anything can happen.

it is not like the gamecube didn't have amazing games thown at japanese people in its first years. The Gamecube had a Mario and a Zelda, the system got small bumps from that but still the system flopped.

why you people think FFXIII is some sort of a wild card for PS3 is something I don't understand.

Rolf NB

Code:
    [url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13348577#post13348577]Prediction[/url]   |    Result
PS3   3800            3931
360   8000            7844
PantherLotus said:
I like it when they do that.
Hurr hurr!

Hero

Absolutely horrible for the PS3. At best LBP will push sales up to 20K next week. Wonder how long until it'll be sub-10K again.

[Nintex]

sphinx said:
I am not sure about the power of Final Fantasy XIII. You are assuming the game will absolutely kick ass in every single possible way and that people will be mad about it. The game can still be "o.k", even with the pretty graphics, maybe they fuck up the battle system, anything can happen.

it is not like the gamecube didn't have amazing games thown at japanese people in its first years. The Gamecube had a Mario and a Zelda, the system got small bumps from that but still the system flopped.

why you people think FFXIII is some sort of a wild card for PS3 is something I don't understand.
Well if SE thinks FFXIII won't meet sales expectations, they won't release it for the next 10 years. I think Wada had some crazy sales predictions and developers didn't want to jump on the PS3 with heavy support unless Sony managed to get more systems in the hands of consumers. But to do that they need games, and those games won't come unless the system is a succes...

sphinx said:

GameCube was front-heavy with big franchises, with main Mario, main Zelda, Mario Kart, and SSBM out in the first 26 months. It's the later years GCN didn't have much big, though, which is what I think makes the difference in PS3 hardware pulling away, even if just by a million over the long haul. The Japanese post-2003 GCN top ten has two Narutos, five Mario spinoffs, Pikmin 2, Pokémon XD, and RE4. Even if XIII does only half as well as XII, it's bigger than any of those two games put together.

Hero

JoshuaJSlone said:
GameCube was front-heavy with big franchises, with main Mario, main Zelda, Mario Kart, and SSBM out in the first 26 months. It's the later years GCN didn't have much big, though, which is what I think makes the difference in PS3 hardware pulling away, even if just by a million over the long haul. The Japanese post-2003 GCN top ten has two Narutos, five Mario spinoffs, Pikmin 2, Pokémon XD, and RE4. Even if XIII does only half as well as XII, it's bigger than any of those two games put together.

I don't see XIII doing more than a million, really. And even if people do buy PS3s for it it's most likely going to be resold after they beat it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hero said:
I don't see XIII doing more than a million, really. And even if people do buy PS3s for it it's most likely going to be resold after they beat it.

MH Tri will sell more than FF13 (Ps3). Yes i said it.

Hero said:

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You know it's going to be a horrific mess in terms of sales, but you can't bear turning away.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Cheesemeister said:
It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You know it's going to be a horrific mess in terms of sales, but you can't bear turning away.

Oh yes :lol
Even Square Enix is slowing down the process as much as they can - at least they still have dq9 in march.
After DQ9 what does SE habe in Line to keep the shareholders happy ?

Hero

I wonder if it's even possible for Square-Enix to make back the development costs of XIII even when you take into account the US release of 360 XIII.

pswii60

My jaw just literally dropped when I saw the hardware figures in the OP.

Could never have thought that PS3 could stoop as low as the old 360 weekly figures. Not in Japan. Never.

I mean, I bought in to the whole MGS4 saving PS3 in Japan thing too.

EDIT: What's this new PS3 bundle everyone's talking about? The LBP bundle?

Gamefront reports 29.000 LBP games sold on day one. They say its unconfirmed and don't mention any clear source. Could be sinobi, but I don't see anything like that on his blog. :I

Unbestätigt: ca. 29.000 LittleBigPlanet in Japan verkauft?

31.10.08 - UNBESTÄTIGT: Sonys LittleBigPlanet ist seit dem 30.10.08 in Japan erhältlich, und bislang sollen 29.029 Einheiten des Spiels am ersten Tag verkauft worden sein. Das geht aus Großhandelsangaben hervor.

Die gestrigen Abverkäufe sollen sich wie folgt zusammensetzen:

- LittleBigPlanet (Normale Version): 21.530 St.
- LittleBigPlanet Dual Shock 3 Bundle Clear Black: 2.817 St.
- LittleBigPlanet Dual Shock 3 Bundle Satin Silver: 2.465 St.
- LittleBigPlanet Dual Shock 3 Bundle Ceramic White: 2.217 St.

Diese Zahlen sind bislang nicht bestätigt - offizielle Zahlen folgen in den nächsten Tagen.

farnham

Banned
pswii60 said:
My jaw just literally dropped when I saw the hardware figures in the OP.

Could never have thought that PS3 could stoop as low as the old 360 weekly figures. Not in Japan. Never.

I mean, I bought in to the whole MGS4 saving PS3 in Japan thing too.

EDIT: What's this new PS3 bundle everyone's talking about? The LBP bundle?
Mario and Zelda in one year could not save the GC

how can MGS 4 alone do that

toypop

slaughterking said:
Gamefront reports 29.000 LBP games sold on day one. They say its unconfirmed and don't mention any clear source.
It's on 2ch's sales thread posted by reliable person. So I can say it's valid.
That poster also mentioned that retailers say GTA4 is doing good, and LBP's sales goal is 250k this year.

Laguna

Banned
farnham said:
Mario and Zelda in one year could not save the GC

how can MGS 4 alone do that

back to the future

Let´s wait for PS3s next saviour after LBP doesn´t seem to have done anything by now and probably won´t ever in Japan. WKC ftw :D

Laguna said:
back to the future

Let´s wait for PS3s next saviour after LBP doesn´t seem to have done anything by now and probably won´t ever in Japan. WKC ftw :D
WKC, after WKC it's FFXIII and so on. Maybe if they release the new ICO game + FFXIII + Versus + FFVII Remake in a really short period (weeks, months) it could move some serious hardware. One great savior every 3-4 months isn't going to do it this gen, not for the 360, not for the Ps3.

Paracelsus

and LBP's sales goal is 250k this year.

Who's the drunkard that came out with this sales goal? o_0

Let´s wait for PS3s next saviour after LBP doesn´t seem to have done anything by now and probably won´t ever in Japan. WKC ftw

WKC will be more like "here, Jrpg do sell on PS3" etc. It's the first true Jrpg exclusive to PS3, after all.

After two years.

>_>

jesusraz

Since it's not been posted yet, here's a quick translation of 31-50:

31.) Kimi's Brave (NDS, SNK Playmore)
32.) NBA Live 09 (PS2, EA)
33.) Beautiful Letter Training (NDS, Nintendo)
34.) Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary (NDS, IE Institute)
35.) Sakura Wars 3 (SEGA THE BEST) (PS2, SEGA)
36.) New Super Mario Bros. (NDS, Nintendo)
37.) Ketsui Death Label (NDS, Arika)
38.) Ultra Large Monster Battle Coliseum (Wii, Bandai Namco)
39.) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Major League 3 (PS2, Konami)
40.) One Piece: Episode 1 (Wii, Bandai Namco)
41.) Wii Play (Wii, Nintendo)
42.) Animal Crossing: Wild World (NDS, Nintendo)
43.) Contract to the Future (PS2, Russell)
44.) The Adventure of Man DS 2 (NDS, Takara)
45.) Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (NDS, Square Enix)
46.) Samurai Way Portable (PSP, Spike)
47.) Powerful Pro Baseball Portable 3 (PSP, Konami)
48.) J League Winning Eleven Club Championship 2008 (PS2, Konami)
49.) Sky Crawlers (Wii, Bandai Namco)
50.) Tales of the Abyss (The Best) (PS2, Bandai Namco)

Nice to see Sky Crawler clinging on, a decent placing for Ketsui DS and if DQV can hold its position for a while longer it could see a nice boost towards the festive period...

Laguna

Banned
Hellraizer said:
WKC, after WKC it's FFXIII and so on. Maybe if they release the new ICO game + FFXIII + Versus + FFVII Remake in a really short period (weeks, months) it could move some serious hardware. One great savior every 3-4 months isn't going to do it this gen, not for the 360, not for the Ps3.

You have to consider that FFXIII and Versus basically appeal to the same people and the Team Ico game as hyped as they are by Sonyfans aren´t that popular, they are comparable with Little Big Planet, hyped as hell but besides among rabid Sonyfans not really that popular. In other words especially Team Ico games never sold that well on PS2 and it´s not likely to change on PS3.

cw_sasuke said:
MH Tri will sell more than FF13 (Ps3). Yes i said it.

isn't this fact?

Kaz needs to kill the the PS3 and should bring a PS2+Waggle as their leading console. with it, 3rd parties could even port their Wii library.

oh, and LBP will flop, no matter what.

Laguna

Banned
solid2snake said:
isn't this fact?

Kaz needs to kill the the PS3 and should bring a PS2+Waggle as their leading console. with it, 3rd parties could even port their Wii library.

oh, and LBP will flop, no matter what.

brilliant idea by a brilliant man :lol

Top Bottom