• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

I thought we went through this already in a previous thread.

Any game where multiple characters fight a large creature/monster/thing with action gameplay is a Monster Hunter clone.
Toukiden

cOAorlD.jpg

I dare you to defend this.

I dare you to say Phantasy Star Portable, God Eater, Lord Of, Valhalla Knights, Soul Sacrifice and many others were not inspired by Monster Hunter.

Seriously.

Spiegel

Toukiden

I dare you to say Phantasy Star Portable, God Eater, Lord Of, Valhalla Knights, Soul Sacrifice and many others were not inspired by Monster Hunter.

Seriously.

Just like the success of RE4 and GoW inspired plenty of other TPS, MH inspired plenty of action games. Those are not MH clones.

Toukiden does seem to be a clone, using the same basic UI and systems.

Tiops

What is the problem with being a Monster Hunter inspired game?

It's basically a new genre, and a successful one. Why wouldn't more companies try to make another game in the same style? Being on the same genre is different than being a cheap clone. Soul Sacrifice obviously inspired by monster Hunter, but a lot different at the same time.

But saying DD is a MH clone is absurd. People also compare Dark Souls to Monster Hunter...

L Thammy

A certain amount of the "Monster Hunter clones" argument is semantics.

I don't think Capcom, or really anyone else agrees with you on the Tri G = portable series thing, but okay.

I'm certainly not arguing that it's nominally a Portable game, but it's basically an expansion of Tri and 3rd, not too far off from 2nd G being an expansion of 2nd.

As far as customer's decision to buy it, I believe they were comparing it to Portable 3rd (which has much the same content - hence the lower sales). In terms of Capcom's decision to put it on the 3DS, I think they decided that that's where the local multiplayer games will be going in the future, and that the Portable name is done for now.

I don't think this is like Metal Gear Solid where the "Solid" where you can't drop that last bit of the name.

In order for you to claim that it's a mainline game, you've also go to say that it's the first mainline game on a handheld, the first mainline game with local play, and the first mainline game to import content from a Portable game.

Yes. If you're using Excel, it's easy to switch the axis to log scale. Google Spreadsheets has it too.

Thank you, I'll give it a look later.

Thorgal

I would like to make a request .

Since this is the most likely thread to find some gaffers who live in japan or at least speak the language.

Could anyone say what the average japanese gamer perception is to Nintendo and sony?

Do they view the wii u as much as a disaster as we are seeing here and is it throwing a lot of negativity towards nintendo in their eyes?

Also how is the VITA percieved over there (post price cut)?

Also any perceptions regarding Ps4 to be found?

sorry if OT.

Mario007

Can we consider SS having some sort of legs now? I'm just curious because pretty much any other Vita release would drop off after 2, maybe even 1 week.

Mileena

Banned
Or more specifically, to have Monster Hunter Freedom 4 to release on PS3/4 in the west in the hope of replicating the success of Monster Hunter Tri, since MH3U seems unlikely to be able to do so.
Oh mah god don't tease me with a MH made for PS4. I don't wanna get my hopes up.

Okay. I dare to say that. I would say that Phantasy Star Portable is no inspired by Monster Hunter at all. Why?

Phantasy Star Online:

Phantasy Star Universe:

Phantasy Star Portable:

What do you have to say for yourself?
Would Sega have released a Phantasy Star local multiplayer on PSP if not for Monster Hunter success?

Some are straight up shameless clones, some are inspired, but they are all under the influence of Monster Hunter.

lol is that the Flooded Forest?
mess :lol

Would Sega have released a Phantasy Star local multiplayer on PSP if not for Monster Hunter success?

Some are straight up shameless clones, some are inspired, but they are all under the influence of Monster Hunter.

It probably helped in the decision, but PSO Ep I and II had local multiplayer on the gamecube, so there isn't much to accuse it of here.

donny2112

HARDWARE
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  WIU  |     22.829 |     11.398 |            |    226.960 |            |     854.247 |

Must have been Easter.

duckroll

PSO had offline splitscreen multiplayer, so I don't see why not. The PSP's adhoc mode was extremely popular in Japan so why wouldn't they take advantage of it? Which part of PSP was inspired by Monster Hunter? Which part of the gameplay design? What did they copy from Monster Hunter? Once they knew there was enough of an audience for the game on the PSP to be worth putting up online servers, PSP2 immediately went online. So it was a question of seeing if there was demand for the Phantasy Star series on the PS. The series existed long before Monster Hunter did. :p

That's like saying Call of Duty is "inspired by Halo" because the series is on consoles now after Halo showed that FPS games can be popular on consoles. It's rubbish talking.

boingball

The Wii U found a system seller. Well for 10k additional sales at least. Dragon Quest was such a great franchise, after FF Square-Enix is now trying to killing of DQ too?

22k for a new Nintendo game? Will Nintendo be another Japanese publisher being victim of the HD transition? (Obviously we will know only after the next christmas season).

Vita sales have not stabilized yet, the search for the new bottom continues. Same as the old bottom?

Can we consider SS having some sort of legs now? I'm just curious because pretty much any other Vita release would drop off after 2, maybe even 1 week.

Until we see a (+) next to its weekly average, I don't think we can consider it as having any type of legs, numbers are still dropping.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Toukiden

cOAorlD.jpg

Seriously.

The only one I'll disagree on is Phantasy Star Portable, given when PSO came into existence.

I agree they changed their marketing imagery and may have made some structural changes, but I think that's notably different than creating a series around the idea of appealing to the Monster Hunter fanbase.

I imagine Sega at some point (whether it be development or marketing) realized the Monster Hunter boom could help PSP, but I doubt it was their sole motivation for making the game.

Edit: By PSP here, I meant Phantasy Star Portable.

Jamix012

PSO had offline splitscreen multiplayer, so I don't see why not. The PSP's adhoc mode was extremely popular in Japan so why wouldn't they take advantage of it? Which part of PSP was inspired by Monster Hunter? Which part of the gameplay design? What did they copy from Monster Hunter? Once they knew there was enough of an audience for the game on the PSP to be worth putting up online servers, PSP2 immediately went online. So it was a question of seeing if there was demand for the Phantasy Star series on the PS. The series existed long before Monster Hunter did. :p

That's like saying Call of Duty is "inspired by Halo" because the series is on consoles now after Halo showed that FPS games can be popular on consoles. It's rubbish talking.

It's also like saying the kinect is inspired by the Wii. What's particularly wrong with saying it was "inspired" by? Yes CoD say Halo sales and thought to itself that it should try and make inroads in that market, it clearly was "inspired" by Halo. Phantasy Star P was probably "inspired" in the same way, so I'd argue it's not a shameless ripoff but very much there because of Monster hunter.

DaBoss

It's also like saying the kinect is inspired by the Wii. What's particularly wrong with saying it was "inspired" by? Yes CoD say Halo sales and thought to itself that it should try and make inroads in that market, it clearly was "inspired" by Halo. Phantasy Star P was probably "inspired" in the same way, so I'd argue it's not a shameless ripoff but very much there because of Monster hunter.

That is what duckroll said, but Monster Hunter isn't the only reason.

Toukiden

cOAorlD.jpg

Seriously.

Are you being serious or just joking?

Phantasy Star Portable is inspired by Phantasy star online. If the only defining metric is multiple players fighting on stage to take down a large enemy then you could say that Monster Hunter took its inspirations from Phantasy star online, which predates Monster Hunter by 4 years. To be honest there might even be another franchise that does this as well I simply cannot recall another one at this time.

But if you are not talking about who is first vs who is more popular than I could see where your coming from.

But to get more into detail Monster Hunter is a game where you hunt monsters of various sizes (normally very large). There are no levels persay just stats influenced by armor and weapons made from the parts of the monsters you successfully hunted. There is only one town that serves as a hub, the rest is on the field doing a mission. The game sort of feels more like SoTC where each encounter is treated like a boss battle.

Valhalla Knights is an Action RPG complete with stats and levels, you may fight monsters and other human beings but it is not centered around large boss battles like Monhun.
From VH
Valhalla-Knights-1.jpg

Does that scream monster hunter to you?

God Eater, Lords of arcana, Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice are titles that look more inspired by MonHun than any other game but people label games way to easy without looking at the details. I half expect people to start calling EDF a MonHon clone as well.

But as far as inspirations go you could find that in almost anything
great video series about similar idea here http://vimeo.com/14912890

Edit: Beaten like a red headed step child. Lol, alot of Phantasy Star fans here I see.

Inspired by implies they took idea from some game elements, not that the pubs found it was a viable business venue.

What are people's thoughts of Dragon Ball Heroes' sales? I'm honestly REALLY surprised at how much it's selling, it even went sold MORE this week than the last.

I think Namco Bandai was right in putting a Dragon Ball game targeted to kids on 3DS. The IP should find other entries on the same platform give how successful Heroes has been.

Or more specifically, to have Monster Hunter Freedom 4 to release on PS3/4 in the west in the hope of replicating the success of Monster Hunter Tri, since MH3U seems unlikely to be able to do so.

Why do you think Monster Hunter on PS3 (or even PS4!) might succeed in the West? It didn't succeed on PS2, and on Sony platforms it wouldn't have Nintendo's shipping and promotional effort.

NotLiquid

If Wii U stabilized at this number it probably wouldn't be that bad. It's good that it gets a bump but it probably won't be that way for too long unfortunately. Nintendo are going to have to come out with a Direct soon if the April update is on it's way.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If Wii U stabilized at this number it probably wouldn't be that bad. It's good that it gets a bump but it probably won't be that way for too long unfortunately. Nintendo are going to have to come out with a Direct soon if the April update is on it's way.

It will be 10-11k next week- the bump was probably 95% the DQX bundle.

Maybe it gets to 15k or so for Golden Week just because its the holidays and the Pokemon game is out, but there won't be any real breakthrough until June at the earliest.

Uhm, no. It's still dropping. Take into account that weekly declines tend to be smaller when there aren't many units.

Wii U is going all the way down south next week and will probably be doing sub-10k numbers soon enough. This week was supposed to be a bit of a reprieve for the console, but seeing as how the bump is so little, then that obviously isn't encouraging. There's nothing available for Golden Week that can drive momentum, either.

Phantasy Star is a different beast, I shouldn't have included it in the same list.

I know it's an original game, but as I have mentioned, I do believe the MH explosion is the reason behind PS games on PSP. It's not a clone, but MH definitely gave new life to PS.

duckroll

Phantasy Star is a different beast, I shouldn't have included it in the same list.

I know it's an original game, but as I have mentioned, I do believe the MH explosion is the reason behind PS games on PSP. It's not a clone, but MH definitely gave new life to PS.

I think that's all we're saying, you shouldn't have included it on that list. Lol. Glad we agree now!

L Thammy

Being a sometimes fan of Phantasy Star Online (Was PS0 worth it for single player?), I think Phantasy Star Portable wasn't based off Monster Hunter. But I suspect that it was deliberately marketed to compare itself to Monster Hunter.

Quick trip to Youtube: Not a lot of gameplay in general, but this shows a big monster and no mobs. This has a prominent shot of a big monster but no prominent shot of mobs.

I still think a big failure of the FPS comparison is that there's no single, still looming, genre creating game that compares to Monster Hunter in that genre. Last time people were mentioning Doom. Now they're mentioning Halo. I know that when I was a kid, I was comparing every FPS to Wolfenstein 3D.

Here's a question. Is anyone insulted by the term Metroidvania?

P.S.: Where is Famitsu?

Shahed

I think it's more likely Square Enix no longer cares about ever making a graphically impressive DQ game again. DQIX showed them that even a sequel which looked substantially worse than the previous game could sell more. Sucks for fans who liked DQVIII, but I think that era of DQ is over.

So my first experience of Dragon Quest will always be the most impressive? Kind of disappointing really, but I guess I should accept it.

Top Bottom