• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Videoneon

I can tell you that you're not alone in this assertion.

I think 9 is better but my conversations with others in the last week or so led me to believe that way more people than I thought adored 10 more than 9. Likely because 9 captured the spirit of 2, and 10 was more along the lines of 3/4 with some MMX4/Bass trappings (but that's mostly relegated to being able to pick from different characters at the outset).

Mmhmm, at least on GAF the verdict is pretty clear, but it's not completely a shutout in favor of 9, even if it feels like that's the case. That sort of balance reflects the general sentiment outside of GAF too (on fansites, or even the odd thread from Giantbomb or whatever) that I browsed through recently. It's a minority opinion but I'd expect at least a couple people in any decent-sized discussion to throw a wild 10 vote.

Your other idea on the appeal of 10 does hold true for me, as I am huge fan of 3 and 4. Incidentally Mega Man 4 has its own small and weird defense force too, but it's very small. =P

I'm with ya, brotha. And this is coming from someone who likes 2 the most.

=3

I do like Mega Man 2 a lot, just not as much as 4 and 3.

It's hard to deny how iconic the Robot Masters are. I remember being in elementary school and trying to make sprite comics based off of Mega Man, and a handful of classmates were like: "Oh! You mean Bubble Man and Heat Man and Quick Man and..." This was during the bridging between N64-GCN and PSX-PS2. I was totally surprised. Most of my classmates only knew about the 2nd one somehow, besides my one other friend who played Mega Man a lot too.

The game's cursed. It's voodoo.

qq more

The only issue I honestly have with Mega Man 9 is the disappointing DLC and the obsession with instant death traps. Especially the latter was a bit off putting. It's kind of why I didn't like the Wily stages in 9.

It IS still a great game though, I would just put it behind 10. The weapon set is the best the series ever had and the music is fantastic. I also loved the Robot Master stages (outside of Concrete Man's).

On a side note, I like Mega Man 4, but it was too easy and I'm not honestly fond of the charge shot in the NES games.

Zing

Banned
I've played through Mega Man Legends and am in the middle of Tron Bonne. I recently acquired Mega Man X2, but before playing it, I wanted to play through the first game again.

When I first played through Mega Man X last year, it didn't feel quite right. It really enjoyed it, but something seemed different from the Mega Man I knew. I now realize what that feeling was. In the previous games, you were expected to only play a level once. Here, not only can you replay a level, but the game is designed around this. It encourages experimentation and exploration. An enemy that is too difficult now, may become easier even without gaining a new weapon, simply by finding a few heart containers or an energy tank. While the difficulty of defeating the bosses without their counter-weapon creates an optimal path to defeating the bosses, there is no clear path of which levels to play. I am rewarded for partially clearing a level rather than strictly penalized.

This didn't seem right the first time around, but this time I revelled in it. My only regret is that I didn't push this to the extreme and get the buster upgrade immediately. I was also able to find a heart container I had never discovered. I am now fully upgraded and ready to enter Sigma's castle.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
So this thing is coming out next week for $20.

jyAuCoo.jpg

Icu83GV.jpg

$19.95 gets you:
-8GB Mega Buster USB stick
-Mega Man #1-4 (Digital Comic Book)
-Mega Man Tribute Art Book (Digital)
-Mega Man X Complete Works (Digital)
-Street Fighter X Mega Man soundtrack
-SFxMM Wallpapers
-Quick link to SFxMM game (not even the full game ON the USB)

Pretty cool, especially for the X Complete Works. If the digital books are properly formatted it'd make a cool gift.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think I'm going to buy it because it looks so adorable! I hope they ship to Canada. It'd break my heart if they didn't.

Capcpom plz. :(

Mmhmm, at least on GAF the verdict is pretty clear, but it's not completely a shutout in favor of 9, even if it feels like that's the case. That sort of balance reflects the general sentiment outside of GAF too (on fansites, or even the odd thread from Giantbomb or whatever) that I browsed through recently. It's a minority opinion but I'd expect at least a couple people in any decent-sized discussion to throw a wild 10 vote.

Your other idea on the appeal of 10 does hold true for me, as I am huge fan of 3 and 4. Incidentally Mega Man 4 has its own small and weird defense force too, but it's very small. =P
Regardless of what people think of 10, it's still a good game. It probably has better balancing than 9 in terms of level design for some people (ie: jumps and kills). Now if people put it into the bottom of the barrel of the series, I'd wholly disagree.

Granted, my faves are 2, 3 and 5. I did play 4 Complete Works this week, and I like it a little better than I did before.

I couldn't resist getting 2 on the 3DS, it's awesome to have these games portable. Almost done with my buster only unless otherwise required run, and it's actually been way easier than I thought it'd be still. Still, can anyone try to convince me that the fortress boss you can only hurt with crash bombs is one of if not the worst fortress bosses in the classic series? :|

I mean, it's not even that hard, but just the fact that one missed crash bomb could mean that you have no other option but to just stand there and let yourself be killed so you can farm WE outside of the boss screams bad design to me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I bought a Mega Man StarForce game today. I hope it's good. :x

I also finished off some of the Complete Works games last month. I think the menus and Navi mode is pretty neat, despite being a little hand-holdy. The inclusion of the remixed music worked very well, and I think I came out of there liking MM4 more than I did previously (mostly because I'm a 2/3/5 kind of person).

I thought the remixed music was a bit lazy, myself; most of it was ripped directly from the arcade games, and the tracks that weren't clash pretty badly in style.

I also finished off some of the Complete Works games last month. I think the menus and Navi mode is pretty neat, despite being a little hand-holdy. The inclusion of the remixed music worked very well, and I think I came out of there liking MM4 more than I did previously (mostly because I'm a 2/3/5 kind of person).
Well, depends on which one - I played through them all, thought 3 was the best, but don't remember hating 2 all that much, despite it being the goto version that people dislike.

In any case I still vastly prefer the EXE battle style, but feel free to ignore me and evaluate for yourself :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, even if I don't like it (it's one of the first ones, btw, so apparently the MC's going to be angsty?), I only paid $5 for it, so I don't feel very bad about it.

If I feel like I got some bang for my buck, I call it money well-spent. Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

I thought the remixed music was a bit lazy, myself; most of it was ripped directly from the arcade games, and the tracks that weren't clash pretty badly in style.
Well, yes. Using some themes that didn't match with certain stages, for example, was really clashy with little justification for it. But the latter three games, I feel, are better in their usage. Of course, this is all a matter of opinions.

The star force games are okay, they just don't have the same level of depth as the battle network series. Story wise it's basically the same thing with different terms attached to things.

SkyOdin

I adored the Star Force games. Sure Star Force 2 has its really ugly spots and Star Force 3 is somewhat disappointing compared to what it could have been, but I think the series as a whole is fun. I am probably one of the few people in the US who actually could use the "On Air" system in the first game, since my brother also had a copy. Best Combos were the best thing ever, particularly when used regularly thanks to having a friend On Air.

Videoneon

I was really hyped for it, kept checking the JP website for info, watched a bit of the first season of the anime, finally bought the Star Force 1 (Ice Pegasus version) and...it was alright. I found it pretty irritating that there were barely any differences between the three (!) versions.

I got Star Force 2 Ninja version and I didn't complete after beating the boss at the Ski Resort. It wasn't horrendous, I just got bored and couldn't stick with it.

I missed out on the 3rd one, which was apparently the best and made the battle system more complex. As far as the series itself, it's...okay I guess, I can't say it's trash like it's generally considered to be--it just doesn't rank near my favorites. It's worth trying out one entry.

Navi Mode is very hand-holdy and it surprised me how often you could get prompted for assistance in your run-of-the-mill Mega Man stage. I always played with the Navi Mode in 4-6 because I generally liked the remixed music except I thought the misfires were in fact when Capcom decided to use the music from the Arcade Fighters (Pharaohman's theme is AWFUL, Dive Man is eh). For example, the MM2 boss fight theme (borrowed from Quickman's stage in Power Fighters) sounds so muted and lame, while the MM3 boss fight was originally designed to be a Game Over countdown and it sounds awkward when used in game. Generally playing Mega Man 1-3 in Navi Mode is awkward because some of the themes are remixed and others aren't.

But there are plenty of good remixes too, like Flameman's, Chargeman's, and Brightman's themes along with the Mega Man 4 epilogue. Stuff like the Cossack stages and the Protoman stage themes still maintain their godliness.

Tizoc

Currently working on getting a discussion thread made for the comic crossover that'll start in April, just need to make a few fixes here and there, and it'll be up within a week.

For now though; how do the PSX Rockman games look and play on the Vita? I'm thinking of getting Rockman 2, but oddly enough, only THAT game. I have nothing against the other games, but Rockman 2 always seems to be my go to game among the NES ones, prob. due to it being the easier accessibility to me ^_^;

...and while I wish we got an 'HD' release of CvSNK2, I'm wondering what licensing issues they need to tackle to have X8 and Command Mission released on PSN at least.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I started Mega Man Star Force the other day.

Oy, Geo. Outside of that, it's alright so far. I'm kinda enjoying myself.

For now though; how do the PSX Rockman games look and play on the Vita? I'm thinking of getting Rockman 2, but oddly enough, only THAT game. I have nothing against the other games, but Rockman 2 always seems to be my go to game among the NES ones, prob. due to it being the easier accessibility to me ^_^;
It looks gorgeous; the colours really pop. I took these of Rockman 2 Complete Works a while ago. Rockman 3 and 4 Complete Works look pretty on it too.

I don't feel like I had to hammer on the buttons to shoot. Just note that some of the menus are in Japanese, but I think they're easily navigable.

Tizoc

Mmmmm...
Well I still have $95-ish in my US account, will see what goodies will be offered next week on US PSN, and if I have any left, I'll drop the remaining amount in getting some PSX, PS2 and games for the Vita @3@.

Tizoc

So I'm rereading the comic and Dr. Light describes Fireman's function/role as 'Whose incinerator functions will promote waste reduction'
...what does that mean exactly?

qq more

So who's ready to get hyped to have their heart broken? and who has learned their lesson?

Man, I'm so used to the disappointments by now that I really expect nothing but new merchandise!

EDIT: Noi just informed us that it's just an Archie promo thing.

Noi

I dunno if it's something else since I wasn't at the capcom panel, but there's a demo reel animation for MegaMan at the capcom booth that's just a promo for the Archie comics. If they're still hiding something, I wouldn't know.

qq more

I dunno if it's something else since I wasn't at the capcom panel, but there's a demo reel animation for MegaMan at the capcom booth that's just a promo for the Archie comics. If they're still hiding something, I wouldn't know.

Dang! I want to see this!

Tizoc

Please let's not talk about this that.
For me?
Please?
Cuz it runs the risk of being Canceled, and no that doesn't pain me, it never would.

It's just that...it would be pointless to discuss it mainly due to the risk of it being canceled, it would be a waste of time.

qq more

Please let's not talk about this that.
For me?
Please?
Cuz it runs the risk of being Canceled, and no that doesn't pain me, it never would.

It's just that...it would be pointless to discuss it mainly due to the risk of it being canceled, it would be a waste of time.
True... It's so hard to trust Capcom after the cancellation of 3 games... (granted Online's cancellation wasn't actually Capcom's fault).

I really wonder what they are developing though. I seriously hope they aren't making an iOS game. Mega Man seriously does not work on that platform at all.

Not ready to announce? They could have at least said when they might.
They'll announce it in the year 20XX

im so cleverrrrrrrr

Tizoc

I really wonder what they are developing though. I seriously hope they aren't making an iOS game. Mega Man seriously does not work on that platform at all.
A turn based jRPG style game would though ;3
While you could have a traditional Megaman game on iOS, controls would be iritating on a TouchPhone haha.

They'll announce it in the year 20XX

im so cleverrrrrrrr

That is actually clever~

I should get to working on the Worlds Collide thread more tonight @_@
*hums the Duck Tales theme*

qq more

A turn based jRPG style game would though ;3
While you could have a traditional Megaman game on iOS, controls would be iritating on a TouchPhone haha.

I tried Mega Man 2 on someone's phone. It was extremely horrid, oh god. :(

UPDATE:
Brett Elston just said on the DuckTales stream that he doesn't know how news got out that a new Megaman game is on the way, and that it is NOT what he said.

Nooooooooooooo..

:(

Tizoc

Wonder if Capcom are doing what I've been thinking they should be doing: Don't announce any development regarding a megaman game until it's near completion and you ARE going to release it.
Hmm....

qq more

Wonder if Capcom are doing what I've been thinking they should be doing: Don't announce any development regarding a megaman game until it's near completion and you ARE going to release it.
Hmm....

I sure hope that's the case. I'm tired of broken promises!

Kokonoe

Banned
So who here has beat Wily in Mega Man 7? I did it once and never attempted to try it again, I just remember as a teen going insane due to how hard it was.

Still feels like a big accomplishment for me to this day.

qq more

I shamefully admit that I never beat the first Wily level in 7. But in all fairness, it was a long time ago.

I've recently replayed Mega Man X8 on Normal Mode (which is really much much much tougher than your average MMX game) and finished MM3GB (Dust Man's level is seriously one of the cruelest levels ever in the series). So I'm confident I can take Wily on in Mega Man 7!

EDIT: That reminds me, a certain lurker streamed a run of Mega Man 7 lately. Don't think he died at the final boss but it was pretty clear how difficult it looks because he used up a lot of E-Tanks on that form alone. (Kind of shocked he had a few left overs in the end though)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You're all making me want to replay 7. One game at a time, darnit. I'd be complaining about the text all the way through.

Still hacking at Star Force. It's decent.

EDIT: That reminds me, a certain lurker streamed a run of Mega Man 7 lately. Don't think he died at the final boss but it was pretty clear how difficult it looks because he used up a lot of E-Tanks on that form alone. (Kind of shocked he had a few left overs in the end though)
Well, that lurker was surprised that he didn't die in the first place. Good for him. But, you know, watching it back as I was studying, he did a pretty decent job with it despite not dodging everything. He was super-lucky he had that E-Tank on him. Otherwise the run wouldn't have been a no-death run.

Videoneon

As much as my reaction to Star Force was meh on the whole, there's a small part of the Final Dungeon sections that I found neat.

I shamefully admit that I never beat the first Wily level in 7. But in all fairness, it was a long time ago.

But thou must! So you can listen to one of the best Wily stage themes.

I've recently replayed Mega Man X8 on Normal Mode (which is really much much much tougher than your average MMX game) and finished MM3GB (Dust Man's level is seriously one of the cruelest levels ever in the series). So I'm confident I can take Wily on in Mega Man 7!

I didn't think that X8 was all that difficult. Like most Mega Man games there are some things that are totally overwhelming on first try (Gravity Antonion sliding block miniboss, Lumine 2nd battle especially when he does that shifting light bar attack) but on the whole not too bad. The ones that I feel are tough include compared to the rest are X6 and X3. X7 too somewhat, but largely for the wrong reasons.

MM3GB, it's been a couple years, but that game is indeed rough. Damn. Good on you.

And Wily in Mega Man 7 is indeed fucking torture.

IIRC...7, & Forte and 8 Wily were the hardest final bosses in the series for me...
I don't think MM8 Wily is hard.

Actually, I don't think MM8 in general is hard... it has its moments, but overall it's just kind of a moderate challenge. But then, I kinda like it for that.

SkyOdin

So who here has beat Wily in Mega Man 7? I did it once and never attempted to try it again, I just remember as a teen going insane due to how hard it was.

Still feels like a big accomplishment for me to this day.

I have. I was never able to do it when I originally played the game, but I did it a few years ago when I got the Anniversary collection. Years of playing Mega Man Zero games have honed my skills significantly since I was a kid. I am a much better Mega Man player today.

Surprisingly, I can attribute a lot of my recent improvements in skill to watching Roahm Mythril's Perfect Run videos on Youtube. It is amazing how much you can learn from watching a better player show you how it is done (with insightful commentary). I probably wouldn't have attempted my challenge runs last year without having watched those videos first.

Azure J

Wily in MM7 is god tier hard. I don't even get why he is even though I get the patterns and whatnot, but it's a combination of getting grazed by a projectile and losing cool immediately because goddamn do those things hurt/annoy quickly.

Videoneon

Yeah, MM7 Wily is harder than he feels. Intuitively, the fight seems simple: I know you're supposed to learn how to lure the spheres away but in practice...sometimes it doesn't pan out. It doesn't help that if you get hit by a fire or ice sphere you're stuck.

I don't recall most Mega Man games testing your reflexes like this. He's not unfair by any means but it took me a ton of tries before I managed to beat him without an energy tank.

Top Bottom