• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Glorious TeamC adds Deimos.

Did you guys know that Sn4ke_911 is against the recreational use of nanomachines? Meanwhile, he has been known to fund illegal cyborg ninja research.

At #TeamC, we believe that all citizens have a right to enjoy an orgy of nanomachines.

That is a lie. TeamC is just jelly because TeamA is going so strong!

Anyway i hope TeamC knows "No Solid Snake" means no Solid Snake in the game, that also means no KID Solid Snake in the game. Now explain to me how Liquid is in the game but not Solid.

Oh and this quote alone pretty much confirms Solid Snake 100%.

2014-05-0500_51_23-inz0jnx.png

You want mor evidence? ok, remember when they released this pic from E3?

His_pic01_zoom.jpg

Yeah well Kojima posted this from E3.

2014-09-0718_23_30-hia4jlw.png

He could have chosen any other Snake, nope he posted the MG2 Solid Snake. Coincidence? i highly doubt it.

Oh and David Hayter posted this just a few weeks ago.

2014-08-2714_51_39-dadojj6.png

Kojima wants to move on. This time for real, otherwise he would not work on Silent Hills. Remember his next game is not an MGS game anymore and that's why i think he will cover all important stuff in TPP.

TeamA will win this dude, there is just no other way.

Welcome new brothers to the winner team!

d0ep0a6lfcvc5qu8l.jpg

Golnei

He and Donkey Kong were the only characters that I would play in Brawl. I think he'd fit perfectly in the new one. Praying that he is Free DLC or something.

From an in-universe perspective, I guess it's sort of justified. Brawl was in 2008, from that mythical period between the Tanker and Plant missions, joined by Otacon, Campbell, Mei Ling and his MGS2 sneaking suit. The current Smash Bros. games are being released in 2014 - Snake probably dies before the year's end.

Dawg

The one thing I wouldn't understand about David Hayter not being in the game would be the fact he's such an iconic part of the franchise now. Even if you replace the "main character" voice, I have a hard time believing they can simply drop the guy so easily. You're telling me he wouldn't even do a cameo? Seems a little strange. Especially if Kojima is "finally moving on" to other games given his involvement with SH.

I don't know, it all seems very strange. Especially how "butthurt" Hayter was on twitter and it even seemed like he only got told the news when we heard about it. You'd think, if he really wasn't in the game, he would have known long before and "accepted" it or whatever.

The strangest thing to me is that Kojima has said in the past that he considers Hayter to be "the" voice of Solid Snake, and he even named the character after him: David.

I still believe that he is playing us and he will pull some kind of "Raiden" once again. There will be something in the game that reviewers will be forbidden to talk about so players are not spoiled. Either the main character changes mid-game or a simple cameo of Snake at the end, voiced by Hayter. But there will be something.

The strangest thing to me is that Kojima has said in the past that he considers Hayter to be "the" voice of Solid Snake, and he even named the character after him: David.

I still believe that he is playing us and he will pull some kind of "Raiden" once again. There will be something in the game that reviewers will be forbidden to talk about so players are not spoiled. Either the main character changes mid-game or a simple cameo of Snake at the end, voiced by Hayter. But there will be something.

I would be happy like a after credits teaser of something like marvel does with their movies with Hayter in it.

Also.. Remember that tweet that Kojima wanted to work with Ryan Gosling and Norman Reedus? we know that Kojima is working with Norman on Silent Hills..BUT maybe JUST maybe..Ryan Gosling in MGS?!?

Gosling is Solid Snake, Lets Do it.
I know its a shot in the dark but that would be cool.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I would be happy like a after credits teaser of something like marvel does with their movies with Hayter in it.

Also.. Remember that tweet that Kojima wanted to work with Ryan Gosling and Norman Reedus? we know that Kojima is working with Norman on Silent Hills..BUT maybe JUST maybe..Ryan Gosling in MGS?!?

Gosling is Solid Snake, Lets Do it.
I know its a shot in the dark but that would be cool.

TEAM E IS GO!

JayEH

Snake was named after David from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I don't think either of those things are true, I believe those are myths. At least the one about Solid Snake being named after David, as that was a reference to Policenauts and 2001. http://thesnakesoup.org/myth-articles/myth-solid-snakes-real-name-is-a-reference-to-david-hayter/ I even recall reading an interview with David Hayter where he admitted that was a coincidence that they all laughed about when they got the script, as it had been completed before he was cast or something.

As for the thing about Kojima considering David "the" voice of Solid Snake, I believe that one is a mixup of an interview where Kojima said that the english dub is more accurate because the characters are speaking their native language or something like that. People took that to mean Kojima prefers the english dub and thus Hayter's Snake, but in reality I don't think he thinks much of Hayter. I've actually done a thorough search regarding Kojima and past projects that involved Hayter, trying to gauge whether him and Hayter were friends or on good terms in order to pull off a prank like Hayter secretly being in the game and them having a pretend dispute but what I found was actually worrying.

I listened to an interview around 2012 where David said he's only met Kojima like thrice in person once when he was showing him MGS4 gameplay and on the whole he doesn't have much to do with him, I couldn't find a single photo of David and Kojima together online (ironically outside of when David was throwing a tantrum on twitter, where he changed his profile picture to what must have been a personal photo of him and Kojima but i've only caught the thumbnail), Kojima has never mentioned or replied to David on twitter etc. The only thing i've ever seen that suggested they had a good relationship was when David sent Kojima that tribute video on the 20th anniversary of Metal Gear, and that was really more David's end than anything. Didn't suggest Kojima thought much of him.

Also, I suppose to put a nail in the coffin:

http://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/166442118649356288

Needless to say, @AkioOtsuka is cool, as he is the man for real. 70% of Snake is made out of Mr. Akio Otsuka. pic.twitter.com/ds6l80rL”

He's never said anything like that about Hayter. In fact I remember reading this and thinking "yup, Hayter's out..." before Kiefer got announced. And we know he kept Akio on as "Snake"... I know he's technically Big Boss for now but they're still continuing to call him that affectionately. It sucks because I really wish this was all a ruse and Kojima thought of Hayter as Solid Snake like the fans do, I'd love to be proven wrong.

I don't think either of those things are true, I believe those are myths. At least the one about Solid Snake being named after David, as that was a reference to Policenauts and 2001. http://thesnakesoup.org/myth-articles/myth-solid-snakes-real-name-is-a-reference-to-david-hayter/ I even recall reading an interview with David Hayter where he admitted that was a coincidence that they all laughed about when they got the script, as it had been completed before he was cast or something.

As for the thing about Kojima considering David "the" voice of Solid Snake, I believe that one is a mixup of an interview where Kojima said that the english dub is more accurate because the characters are speaking their native language or something like that. People took that to mean Kojima prefers the english dub and thus Hayter's Snake, but in reality I don't think he thinks much of Hayter. I've actually done a thorough search regarding Kojima and past projects that involved Hayter, trying to gauge whether him and Hayter were friends or on good terms in order to pull off a prank like Hayter secretly being in the game and them having a pretend dispute but what I found was actually worrying.

I listened to an interview around 2012 where David said he's only met Kojima like thrice in person once when he was showing him MGS4 gameplay and on the whole he doesn't have much to do with him, I couldn't find a single photo of David and Kojima together online (ironically outside of when David was throwing a tantrum on twitter, where he changed his profile picture to what must have been a personal photo of him and Kojima but i've only caught the thumbnail), Kojima has never mentioned or replied to David on twitter etc. The only thing i've ever seen that suggested they had a good relationship was when David sent Kojima that tribute video on the 20th anniversary of Metal Gear, and that was really more David's end than anything. Didn't suggest Kojima thought much of him.

Also, I suppose to put a nail in the coffin:

http://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/166442118649356288

He's never said anything like that about Hayter. In fact I remember reading this and thinking "yup, Hayter's out..." before Kiefer got announced. And we know he kept Akio on as "Snake"... I know he's technically Big Boss for now but they're still continuing to call him that affectionately. It sucks because I really wish this was all a ruse and Kojima thought of Hayter as Solid Snake like the fans do, I'd love to be proven wrong.

On top of that, if you're remembering Muni Shinobu's Metal Gear Fanpage, which seems to be gone unfortunatly, he wrote in one of his articles, that, while Kojima did say he liked the english dub for the fact that they would realistically speak english, just like you said, he mentioned in several japanese interviews for MGS2 that he was disappointed with the actual performance and casting of the english dub.

The guy didn't really point to any specific sources, but if you knew his site, you know that he was always reliable.

Really interesting and informative post except the above bit.

Sorry, I didn't know what else to call it lol. When he was going crazy switching his avatars and banner to stuff to do with Kiefer. I only meant it in a lighthearted way because I love Hayter!

Screen-Shot-2013-06-19-at-1.18.42-PM.png

Screen+Shot+2013-06-06+at+10.58.37+PM.png

Can't find a screenshot but near the announcement of Kiefer he changed his avatar to a picture of him and kojima, then started changing it to Kiefer etc. It was weird.

JayEH

Lol, a bomberman reveal. I guess we all forget that Konami makes other games besides Metal Gear. Well to be honest though, I sometimes don't know if Konami knows it can make other games besides Metal Gear.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I didn't know what else to call it lol. When he was going crazy switching his avatars and banner to stuff to do with Kiefer. I only meant it in a lighthearted way because I love Hayter!

Screen-Shot-2013-06-19-at-1.18.42-PM.png

Screen+Shot+2013-06-06+at+10.58.37+PM.png

Can't find a screenshot but near the announcement of Kiefer he changed his avatar to a picture of him and kojima, then started changing it to Kiefer etc. It was weird.

Ah, my bad.

I see him get so much aggro about his reaction on here I get kinda defensive for the guy. I really feel for him. Long time role that he loved taken away without a by your leave and people are all like "lol classy" etc.

I see him get so much aggro about his reaction on here I get kinda defensive for the guy. I really feel for him. Long time role that he loved taken away without a by your leave and people are all like "lol classy" etc.

Yeah, I feel for him as well. It honestly just goes to show how deeply attached he was to the role that he'd have an emotional reaction, I still can't believe Kojima & Konami let him go in that way given the kind of relationship he had with fans in the west and how loved he was. It's like that didn't matter to them at all, and the whole thing just bums me out. Like others I'd love it if this was all just a big joke and he's going to return in his orignal Solid Snake role, but I honestly don't believe that.

I also get annoyed when people talk about him and go "lol so salty" etc. so it was my bad really, poor choice of words lol.

JayEH

When do they usually stop doing voice/motion work for games? Kojima always scares me when he tweets a picture of an actor in the sound booth or when he's on the mo cap stage.

I thought they would be done with at least motion capture if the game is coming out in early 2015.

Sn4ke_911

When do they usually stop doing voice/motion work for games? Kojima always scares me when he tweets a picture of an actor in the sound booth or when he's on the mo cap stage.

I thought they would be done with at least motion capture if the game is coming out in early 2015.

Well Naughty Dog still did mo-cap and voice work on The Last of Us 2 months before the games release. So.. i guess it's not too bad.

That's not true, it was like 6 months before
before, but that game was pushed to june due to technical issues and polish. So 5 months out of their target date, they finished mo-cap. That still leaves March a distinct possibility

Sn4ke_911

That's not true, it was like 6 months before
before, but that game was pushed to june due to technical issues and polish. So 5 months out of their target date, they finished mo-cap. That still leaves March a distinct possibility

Well someone on GAF said 2 months, idk...

Sn4ke_911

GAF says a lot of things. There's no way a studio is going to be doing mocap 2 months before release. The game should be practically done by that point.

Isn't it possible that they just re-record a few lines or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom