• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Man I've been rewatching the MGSV trailers to get me hyped and Kojima's music selection has just been top notch. "Not Your Kind of People", "Nuclear" and "Sins of the Father" are all amazing and totally capture what I think he wants the mood to be.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
you know what i think :)

Sorry i was talking about the real Ocelot :p

Goddamn, just look at this. He looks so similiar.

Dat Fox-Engine.

3989edc36f_Ocelot.png

Dawg

I still wonder about Kiefer Sutherland and Mortal Kombat.

Did he just make a mistake? Or do you think maybe Big Boss will be a guest character?

Sn4ke_911

Did he just make a mistake? Or do you think maybe Big Boss will be a guest character?

Yeah me too, Ed Boon said Sutherland is not in MKX but you never know with this guy, he could be trollin....

I also wonder if Konami would even allow fatalities on Snake? hm....

btw. Sawyer's GZ pics on twitter... so awesome haha.

https://twitter.com/Sawyer_DAA/with_replies

Man just imagine the shit we can do in an open world game like TPP ....Hhhhhnnngg

JayEH

Maybe when he was answering the question he meant that Kiefer Sutherland is not in the game but he voices a character lol.

JayEH

Hey so I was wondering in preparation for TGS if someone wants to make an IRC channel for Metal Gear Gaf. I have no idea how to do it but if someone is willing/people want one let me know.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Hey so I was wondering in preparation for TGS if someone wants to make an IRC channel for Metal Gear Gaf. I have no idea how to do it but if someone is willing/people want one let me know.

I could do one, but I wouldn't know what IRC server would be the best.

Sorry i was talking about the real Ocelot :p

Goddamn, just look at this. He looks so similiar.

Dat Fox-Engine.

3989edc36f_Ocelot.png

I am intrigued in how the advent of new MoCap technology has elevated VA's into something more than just a cheap throwaway. Now Voice Actors are straight up playing the part of the character the same way we say someone like Daniel Craig plays James Bond. Their entire person becomes associated with the character and not just one aspect (i.e. their voice). I think that's pretty cool.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This week is gonna be so hype.

Wednesday night, Friday night, and Saturday night we're getting MGS news. There is a strong possibility this is the last major conference before release, as GDC is in early March next year.

(switch to Thursday early morning, Saturday early morning, and Sunday early morning for you Europeans)

Plus tons of Vita, PS3, PS4, Wii U, 3DS, and even some Xbone games shown!

Sub_Level

Hosted by Joel McHale and Samuel Jackson!

Awards presented by Kim Kardashian, some NBA player, and Neil Patrick Harris!

For a second there, I thought Dawg was betraying TeamA.

This week is gonna be so hype.

Wednesday night, Friday night, and Saturday night we're getting MGS news. There is a strong possibility this is the last major conference before release, as GDC is in early March next year.

(switch to Thursday early morning, Saturday early morning, and Sunday early morning for you Europeans)

Plus tons of Vita, PS3, PS4, Wii U, 3DS, and even some Xbone games shown!
iron-man-gif.gif

Sub_Level

There's a Ground Zeroes spot too in the schedule so perhaps some PC news as well. Suddenly everything was videogames.

Sn4ke_911

Doubt it, Japan isn't interested in PC gaming.

This isn't only about Japan dude. Why would they have a GZ stream if they have nothing to announce?

Oh wait, the Xbone launched just recently in Japan ...hm could be nothing just talking about the launch or so.

JayEH

This isn't only about Japan dude. Why would they have a GZ stream if they have nothing to announce?

This is a Japanese stream for TGS right? I don't see how that's not focused on Japan. The only reason I can think of them streaming GZ is because Konami has nothing else to show besides PES.

Dawg

AFAIK, the only thing we know about Sniper Wolfs age in MGS1 (2005) is that she's in her 20s. Wiki confirms this.

This means she could be born in 1976 (29) at max or worst case, 1985 (20). Given MGS V happens around 1984... this means she is either not born yet or she's like 8 years old.

You know, an 8 year old Sniper Wolf living around wolves (given her nature) sounds kinda plausible. Similar to young Psycho Mantis.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing how Liquid, Mantis, and Ocelot are already confirmed to be in the game, plus Raven is said to have joined Outer Heaven in MGS1, I won't be surprised if we see Wolf and Octopus too, and make this a kinda-origin history of MGS1 FOXHOUND, Big Boss' Outer Heaven, and Solid Snake all at once.
They can also include some Solidus/Raiden cameo if Kojima wants, I mean, it's probably the last time he'll get to do it.

Sub_Level

A Solidus and/or Raiden reference would be ace. Or at least something about the Patriot AI. They have to follow up on all they did with that stuff in Peace Walker.

Palpable

Oddly enough, Solidus would only be a teenager during the time he ran the small boy unit in Liberia where he killed Raiden's parents.

laminaatplaat

Neo Member
Isn't a proposed MGS6 a game starring The Boss anyway? There would be no way Solid Snake could appear in there.

In MGS6 you will play as The Boss/The Joy during WW2. Kojima shows the world that he does respect women by making this full MGS game with a female protagonist.

Palpable

In MGS6 you will play as The Boss/The Joy during WW2. Kojima shows the world that he does respect women by making this full MGS game with a female protagonist.

Because making a game with males means he doesn't respect women?

The Boss is probably one of the most powerful females in all of gaming. Kojima doesn't need to prove shit as far as I'm concerned.

laminaatplaat

Neo Member
Because making a game with males means he doesn't respect women?

The Boss is probably one of the most powerful females in all of gaming. Kojima doesn't need to prove shit as far as I'm concerned.

I agree that Kojima doesn't need to prove anything to anyone but it would be a nice extra. The moment I heard about the history of The Boss in MGS3 I was interested in playing that story. And with WW2 being out of focus in gaming at the moment it would be pretty cool if it was MGS going back there.

Skullface

I think the Boss is a criminally under developed character considering her importance and influence. I'd be bored to tears in a game starring her. I'd play it, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

Golnei

I think the Boss is a criminally under developed character considering her importance and influence. I'd be bored to tears in a game starring her. I'd play it, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

In that case, why would it be boring to go back and give her more development? If anything, it could justify her prominence in previous games if she were characterised more strongly.

Sub_Level

In that case, why would it be boring to go back and give her more development? If anything, it could justify her prominence in previous games if she were characterised more strongly.

Exactly. Big Boss was also a boring character before Snake Eater and his subsequent games.

Skullface

I get your point, but bouncing between two story arks in the mainline titles is tedious enough. To set up a third, well I guess it's doable, but...

Also, call me a misogynist, but I've never been too excited at the prospect of playing as a female protag. It's never felt right to me.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I hope The Boss is never expanded upon, because it will inevitably retroactively ruin the character with dumb bullshit. This is Metal Gear we're talking about, remember.

I have a little question, I just bought MGS Integral from the japanese PSN store and on the difficulty select screen it says 'alternate round'. Now starting the game, all the enemies have different patrol routes, they're harder to evade, there are more security cameras etc.

It's pretty neat to play the game in such a fresh way, but here's the thing...I've always heard that this mode is unlocked by finishing the game once, same as the 1st person mode, but obviously I haven't done that yet. I DO have a completed save of the original japanese MGS, but I'm not sure that's the reason because other than that they do not seem compatible. What's up with that?

And the real important question...how do I actually play the game with the normal enemy placement and routes?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I get your point, but bouncing between two story arks in the mainline titles is tedious enough. To set up a third, well I guess it's doable, but...

Also, call me a misogynist, but I've never been too excited at the prospect of playing as a female protag. It's never felt right to me.

But Raiden...
oh wait, "doesn't feel right to play as a female protag", I honestly hope you are just trolling.

Skullface

But Raiden...
oh wait, "doesn't feel right to play as a female protag", I honestly hope you are just trolling.

Raiden's kind of doesn't count, or rather, is intertwined with Snakes. You could argue Rising, but that's why I said mainline.

And so what if I wasn't trolling? Seriously though, I've tried but could not get into the following:

Parasite Eve
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil 3 and on
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XIII
Mirror's Edge

I've also never created a female character in any Obsidian games, or Destiny for that matter. Does that make me a bad person?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
And so what if I wasn't trolling? Seriously though, I've tried but could not get into the following:

Parasite Eve
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil 3 and on
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XIII
Mirror's Edge

I've also never created a female character in any Obsidian games, or Destiny for that matter. Does that make me a bad person?

You do realize games can be bad not because of the female protagonist, but because they're bad games (not that i'm saying those games are bad, but maybe that was it?). I refuse to believe Mirror's Edge having a female protagonist affected in any way your experience, though, since it's in first person and you barely see yourself.

Skullface

You do realize games can be bad not because of the female protagonist, but because they're bad games (not that i'm saying those games are bad, but maybe that was it?). I refuse to believe Mirror's Edge having a female protagonist affected in any way your experience, though, since it's in first person and you barely see yourself.

You're awfully full of yourself, aren't you? It's a huge pet peeve of mine for someone to preface a question with "You do realize...", particularly when the question is one that's rudimentary. You're not talking to a fucking child.

That said, yes, of course that I understand a game can be poor on it's own merits in spite of character gender. What kind of question is that any way? My point is that for some reason, I'm not a fan of playing as a female protagonist. Yes, that was a part of my experience with Mirror's Edge. Whether or not you choose to believe it is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom