• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like outside of MGS, my game tastes are quite different from Outer GAF's.

What kinda games are you into?!

You ain't alone.

Dislikes: medieval games,FPS (except borderlands since it's godlike) and MMO's
Likes: RPGs, ARPGs, Fighting games, adventure, horror, (certain indies) , visual novels.

Outside from MGS, SF was my first love.

Street Fighter IV is one of my all-time favorite games. Alpha 2, 3 and Street Fighter III: Third Strike are some of my favorites, as well.

Great job with the thread LD.

Thank you, brother!!

I've become more open minded about the genres I play now since I got bored of what I was currently playing. There's some good stuff out there.

JayEH

Bloodborne caught my attention since it got rid off the armor and idk feels a bit more modern if it makes sense. Reminds me of berserk. I'm just very picky with medieval settings hell I'm surprised I liked Game of thrones.

Souls has always been very Berserk. There's references everywhere. Speaking of Berserk I should get back to reading it!

What about medieval ARPGs like Souls?

I played a ton of Dark Souls, and still not as much as I would have liked due to Games for Windows LIVE being integrated. Fortunately, that has been removed in recent months, so I plan on jumping back in before the Dark Souls II re-release.

I need to play you two in Ultra when the PS4 version releases.

Dude, you will hand me my ass! I kinda quit playing after vanilla. (Played the shit out of it!) I will definitely pick it up, though, especially if some of you guys get it!

What kinda games are you into?!

Action-adventure, Action, ARPGs, Horror, Racing, and whatever the Monster Hunter genre is considered :p.

Some of my favorite games outside of MGS are:

Demons' Souls | Dark Souls | Dark Souls II
Diablo 2 | Diablo 3: RoS
Resident Evil | Resident Evil 4 (Never played 2 or 3)
Bioshock | Bioshock Infinite
Uncharted 2 | Uncharted 3
The Last of Us
Batman: Arkham Asylum | Batman: Arkham City
Gran Turismo 3
Burnout Paradise
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (24 hrs played since release @_@)

I've tried to get into JRPGs or turn-based in general, but it just never clicks. I prefer conrolling one character from the 3rd person perspective most of the time.

JayEH

DOA5 Season Pass and Costume pack are $93 each.

mj-laughing.gif

Rean

Dude, you will hand me my ass! I kinda quit playing after vanilla. (Played the shit out of it!) I will definitely pick it up, though, especially if some of you guys get it!
I need to get my links up again. I rarely use training mode so I usually rely on fundamentals. I got pretty far with it since I was a B rank in Ultra.

Action-adventure, Action, ARPGs, Horror, Racing, and whatever the Monster Hunter genre is considered :p.

The Last of Us
Gran Turismo 3
Burnout Paradise

I've tried to get into JRPGs or turn-based in general, but it just never clicks. I prefer conrolling one character from the 3rd person perspective most of the time.

Are you me??

Resident Evil is probably one of my other favorite series besides MGS. Everything in that list though is a game that I've played/really into. Except mabye Gran Turismo.

I do love me a good JRPG though.

I need to get my links up again. I rarely use training mode so I usually rely on fundamentals. I got pretty far with it since I was a B rank in Ultra.

Oh wow we all have to play at some point.

I'm just crossing my fingers they let me use my PS3 stick on PS4 somehow.

Are you me??

Resident Evil is probably one of my other favorite series besides MGS. Everything in that list though is a game that I've played/really into. Except mabye Gran Turismo.

I do love me a good JRPG though.
To this day I still don't know why I never got RE2 or 3. At this point I'm kind of hoping for a 'Remastered' version. Either way, I need to play those games!

As for JRPGs, it's also the aesthetic for lack of a better word. If someone can find me a good JRPG that doesn't feature 'hip' highschoolers and/or over the top Japanese weirdness, I may be willing to give it a try.

JayEH

To this day I still don't know why I never got RE2 or 3. At this point I'm kind of hoping for a 'Remastered' version. Either way, I need to play those games!

As for JRPGs, it's also the aesthetic for lack of a better word. If someone can find me a good JRPG that doesn't feature 'hip' highschoolers and/or over the top Japanese weirdness, I may be willing to give it a try.

How do you like Metal Gear? lol

Anyway, I'd recommend playing some good ol' PS1 era JRPGS. Exactly what you're looking for.

Persona and Danganronpa (visual novel with some rpg elements) bruh but you already said hip Highschoolers.

Edit: Rean http://youtu.be/6uZWArSOmCc
Hate me bro, 4 life.

How do you like Metal Gear? lol
Lol I know right?!

I don't know how to explain it. It's more of the whole zaney anime variety of weirdness.

Metal Gear is more grounded in a realistic depiction of the world. The weirdness is just a great twist on it all, and makes it unique!

Anyway, I'd recommend playing some good ol' PS1 era JRPGS. Exactly what you're looking for.
And you may be right about that. I used to enjoy PS1 era Final Fantasies, and even Chrono Trigger from way back.

Persona and Danganronpa (visual novel with some rpg elements) bruh but you already said hip Highschoolers.
I'm going to be keeping my eye on P5. I would have tried P4G, but no vita. :(

The Last of Us
Gran Turismo 3
Burnout Paradise
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (24 hrs played since release @_@)

Monster Hunter? So, you like Peace Walker! :p

Dude, that's a pretty good list of games to be a fan of. Souls games are great. Resident Evil (REmake) is one of the best looking games I have ever seen. And it holds up so well today. Been playing the PC version like a madman; truly incredible. RE4 is everyone's Game of the Forever, and it's well-deserved. It's not my favorite game in the series, but it is damn good. You should play RE2 (and probably 3) at some point. I loved Diablo III: RoS. I hated the original version; I built a new rig (at the time) in order to play it, and I wasn't a fan of it. Picked up RoS on PS4 this past year and LOVED IT. I was expecting much worse - unsure of how it would play on console. Gotta say, it's a fantastic game. I beat the first BioShock on hard, but never got back into the series as BioShock 2 felt way too much like every other game that was coming out at the time. Will play Infinite one day, though. I've never been all that into Uncharted. I played a bit of mutliplayer for U2, the beta for U3, but still haven't really got into the campaigns just yet. (Still in the backlog, though!) The Last of Us is pretty cool. Played through it once, left fairly satisfied.

Damn! 24 hours into Monster Hunter 4 already?! I want to play it so bad, but I'm back to not having a 3DS at the moment. ;_; It'll be the first game I pick up for it, though! (Probably will play it after Persona Q, since that has been sitting here since it came out.)

Yeah! Damn, dude, that's awesome. When is the next-gen version of Ultra supposed to drop?! Spring?

As JayEH asked, how the hell are you into Metal Gear? :lol

But seriously, I think you may be more into the series under which Persona made its name: Shin Megami Tensei.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2, available on PSN) and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Nintendo DS) are probably the two best starting points. I made the OT for Nocturne, if you'd like to learn more, but Shin Megami Tensei, in general, is more about the dungeon crawling than anything else. I think it is perfect for people who don't want the visual novel elements, and love games like Dark Souls.

Monster Hunter? So, you like Peace Walker! :p
Hah! Yeah I nearly lost my shit with that crossover reveal!

Damn! 24 hours into Monster Hunter 4 already?! I want to play it so bad, but I'm back to not having a 3DS at the moment. ;_; It'll be the first game I pick up for it, though! (Probably will play it after Persona Q, since that has been sitting here since it came out.)
24 hours in and I haven't even touched online yet! If/when you pick up a 3DS and 4U, let me know! I literally have 1 friend on my 3DS right now. :(

But seriously, I think you may be more into the series under which Persona made its name: Shin Megami Tensei.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2, available on PSN) and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Nintendo DS) are probably the two best starting points. I made the OT for Nocturne, if you'd like to learn more, but Shin Megami Tensei, in general, is more about the dungeon crawling than anything else. I think it is perfect for people who don't want the visual novel elements, and love games like Dark Souls.
Many people have recommended SMT to me, I really need to pick one up! I think the ones people have recommended were Nocturne and DS2 or something like that. Of the 6 available on the Nintendo eShop, which one would you recommend?

http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide#filter/-|-|-|-|Shin Megami Tensei

So quick Q. Does anyone know the name of the track playing in a cut-scene in Metal Gear Solid 2 where Emma is talking to Raiden about the Y2K bug soon after he busts her out from the locker room?

Cheers!

Hah! Yeah I nearly lost my shit with that crossover reveal!

24 hours in and I haven't even touched online yet! If/when you pick up a 3DS and 4U, let me know! I literally have 1 friend on my 3DS right now. :(

Many people have recommended SMT to me, I really need to pick one up! I think the ones people have recommended were Nocturne and DS2 or something like that. Of the 6 available on the Nintendo eShop, which one would you recommend?

http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide#filter/-|-|-|-|Shin Megami Tensei

It's awesome, right?!

Damn, dude. That's awesome! I will, for sure, give you dat Friend Code.

Also, I would say Strange Journey-- but you may want to check out the game for yourself, first, through YouTube and see if you'd be into that kinda thing!

So quick Q. Does anyone know the name of the track playing in a cut-scene in Metal Gear Solid 2 where Emma is talking to Raiden about the Y2K bug soon after he busts her out from the locker room?

Cheers!

Would you happen to be referring to Twilight Sniping? Or there's Rescue Emma! If you mean the song that plays during the Y2K video itself, I think that may be somewhere in the Document of MGS2, but I'll see if I can track it down!

EDIT: Found it! NY Research Trip Mix

JayEH

Ok I decided to go for that $100 promotion (even though I shouldn't have...)

I picked up:

Danganronpa
DOA5
Tales of Xillia
Metro Redux
God Hand

Oh and my Wii U ID is SnakeN7 I think if you want to add me. I have MK8 and Smash.

I picked up:

Danganronpa
DOA5
Tales of Xillia
Metro Redux
God Hand

Holy haul, Jay-kun!

That's dope. You've gotta give us your impressions of those games. (I wanted to get DOA5 today, but wasn't able to as the roads were iced over.) I have about $18 left in my PSN wallet and am debating whether or not I should get Xillia. ;_; [backlog intensifies]

But yeah, man! You should post your impressions like in the Title, put the name of the game, and then write out your thoughts as you play, if you like the game or something. We don't necessarily discuss MGS here all the time, so I think it'd be cool if everyone started doing something like that. It's like an LTTP thread, but with posters you like! :p

Rean

I picked up:

Danganronpa
DOA5
Tales of Xillia
Metro Redux
God Hand

Oh and my Wii U ID is Snake N7 or SnakeN7 I think if you want to add me.
bkwKq.jpg

I hate moblie.

Lernaean

Banned
Got Ultra SF on PC if anyone wants to play at some point, just PM me. But be warned, I'm very rusty.
My NNID is Lernaean if anyone wants to add for Smash WiiU, but in any case it's a miracle if i can play on weekends lately. Weekdays i work most of the day. Yeah, my life sucks.
Hope April is better so i'll be at least able to enjoy Bloodborne.

JayEH

Holy haul, Jay-kun!

That's dope. You've gotta give us your impressions of those games. (I wanted to get DOA5 today, but wasn't able to as the roads were iced over.) I have about $18 left in my PSN wallet and am debating whether or not I should get Xillia. ;_; [backlog intensifies]

But yeah, man! You should post your impressions like in the Title, put the name of the game, and then write out your thoughts as you play, if you like the game or something. We don't necessarily discuss MGS here all the time, so I think it'd be cool if everyone started doing something like that. It's like an LTTP thread, but with posters you like! :p

I spent all my non food money for like a month but I think it was worth it. My back log is at 18 games though :/

yeah and I'll start doing that, it may be a while before I get to these games though.

bkwKq.jpg

I hate moblie.

I thought that might catch someone's eye lol.

I picked up:

Danganronpa
DOA5
Tales of Xillia
Metro Redux
God Hand

Oh and my Wii U ID is SnakeN7 I think if you want to add me. I have MK8 and Smash.
I've only played Metro Redux from that list, but I can vouch for it. If you're into story driven, atmospheric FPS's, this ones for you!

Rean

I just sent out requests. My name on PSN and 360 is PR0DGY1.

also Chinner that number was invalid for me.

if you friend request me please put your Gaf name in the message box because my memory is terrible.

Hope April is better so i'll be at least able to enjoy Bloodborne.

Hope you are able to play that - I know you're looking forward to it!

I spent all my non food money for like a month but I think it was worth it. My back log is at 18 games though :/

yeah and I'll start doing that, it may be a while before I get to these games though.

Man, that's crazy. I think that once MGSV and Persona 5 are out, I am done buying games (until the next P Studio or Kojima Productions release, at least - so, Silent Hills). This backlog is way too real. I've still got PS1 games I need to knock out, like the Final Fantasy games, Suikoden.

But yeah! That'd be great, dude. Can't wait!

What's happened in this thread? Everybody seems completely reasonable!

/dead

Wow that op. We have an op worthy of these games.

Thank you so much, brother!!!!

JayEH

I just sent out requests. My name on PSN and 360 is PR0DGY1.

also Chinner that number was invalid for me.

if you friend request me please put your Gaf name in the message box because my memory is terrible.

is there a way to see/send friend requests online/mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom