• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorTom

So brothers, I've been thinking- TPP was announced (as Ground Zeroes) in August 2012.
Since then we've been wowed and excited by trailers, features, gameplay demos, chopper screenshots, chicken hats etc. but still no sign of a release date!
It's looking like it's going to be (at least) three years from announcement to release.
I know, Team V/V/201V for life!
I guess my question is; is three years too much? Feel free to talk about stuff like marketing & business reasons but I'm more talking about from a personal perspective. At what point does enthusiasm reach a plateau or even start to decline for you?
The reason I'm asking you guys is because I'm not really sure how I feel - I will buy this game no matter what when it comes out! I'm sure most of you will as well but I think if a story trailer was released I'd try to avoid watching it (and fail, miserably) to avoid spoiling the experience. I guess I echo OuterGAF general feelings here: just give us a release date!

Well, I just re-read this before posting and it's a meandering mess...posting anyway!

For any other game i would agree with three year been way too long. However, I think that because we had Ground Zeroes three years is not too bad. We had something to keep up going and it gave us hope. I think that if GZ had been a bad game then I would have thought that three years is way too long.

I guess my question is; is three years too much? Feel free to talk about stuff like marketing & business reasons but I'm more talking about from a personal perspective. At what point does enthusiasm reach a plateau or even start to decline for you?

I think 3 years is not too much, I prefer finished and polished game. Even 4-5 years would be okay as long as I have release date and some new info periodically. But situation that is now sucks. Kojima waited too long. Not funny anymore.

JayEH

Kojima doesn't even care about Portable Ops. He probably doesn't even know who Gene is let alone make him skullface.

I like hype, but it might have been a tad excessive. At least we had GZ

For any other game i would agree with three year been way too long. However, I think that because we had Ground Zeroes three years is not too bad. We had something to keep up going and it gave us hope. I think that if GZ had been a bad game then I would have thought that three years is way too long.

Good point about GZ! That certainly helped fill the void.

I think 3 years is not too much, I prefer finished and polished game. Even 4-5 years would be okay as long as I have release date and some new info periodically. But situation that is now sucks. Kojima waited too long. Not funny anymore.
Oh don't get me wrong, the polish and attention to detail are a huge reason why I love the series. By all means take as long as you need to make the game but maybe hold off on the announcement that it's coming (soon) in the meantime.
A good example is that Fallout 4 has allegedly been in development for 4ish years but hasn't been confirmed yet. Actually, having no confirmation of MGS V for the past 3 years ....that'd be worse.

i'mlosingmyself.gif

As for favourite VO, I always loved Cam Clarke as Liquid Snake. EDIT: Second place would be Patric Zimmerman as Ocelot, particularly in MGS1- so many memorable lines.

Choomp

Banned
msy.gif

Agreed 110%!!!

Ohh that gif is gonna get a lot of use. That's a keeper.

JayEH

I like the characters in PW thought I have a feeling they won't mean things in the grand scheme of things. Shame they will probably be throw away characters.

I like the characters in PW thought I have a feeling they won't mean things in the grand scheme of things. Shame they will probably be throw away characters.
You mean like Kaz, Paz, Chico, Huey? I'm sure Amanda will show up in TPP as well. Maybe even Strangelove.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I saw something earlier from Batzi where he thinks Psycho Mantis helps Big Boss to escape the hospital.

I disagree because the Man on Fire is from Mantis and he's clearly evil.

Mantis tries to kill Boss, he's also responsible for the ambulance car crash, then Ocelot comes and helps Boss to escape.

Rajang

Just like The Boss in MGS3? The Boss was nothing more than a plot device for BB's character development. The only thing she will be used for are tapes, like in PW and most likely in TPP as well.

The big players in PW are going to be crucial to TPP's plot (Kaz and Huey). Kaz and BB's relationship is going to be a big plotpoint in TPP. Chico and Amanda are big question marks for TPP though. And I don't think we will see Strangelove. Cecile was just there for some comic relief.

David hayrer?

I saw something earlier from Batzi where he thinks Psycho Mantis helps Big Boss to escape the hospital.

I disagree because the Man on Fire is from Mantis and he's clearly evil.

Mantis tries to kill Boss, he's also responsible for the ambulance car crash, then Ocelot comes and helps Boss to escape.

I wanted to believe Mantis was an ally so much when I first saw that trailer, but there's a screenshot of him on the horse with Man on Fire.

JayEH

You mean like Kaz, Paz, Chico, Huey? I'm sure Amanda will show up in TPP as well. Maybe even Strangelove.

Kaz was always in Metal Gear. Chico and Paz had very small roles in GZ. They're important for the greater story within V given the events of GZ but they won't be in TPP most likely. I think Paz is confirmed for some sort either flashback or tape role in TPP though. Amanda may show up and so may Strangelove but Cecile? no

I just don't think many of the characters have many greater importance outside of PW.

Kaz was always in Metal Gear. Chico and Paz had very small roles in GZ. They're important for the greater story within V given the events of GZ but they won't be in TPP most likely. I think Paz is confirmed for some sort either flashback or tape role in TPP though. Amanda may show up and so may Strangelove but Cecile? no

I just don't think many of the characters have many greater importance outside of PW.

The good thing about going open world is that interacting with some characters may become optional.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
David hayrer?

I wanted to believe Mantis was an ally so much when I first saw that trailer, but there's a screenshot of him on the horse with Man on Fire.

I think Mantis is an ally of Skull Face why? because the soldiers from the hospital are the same XOF soldiers from GZ and since we saw Big Boss later with SF teaming up maybe he becomes a buddy later?

Palpable

I think Mantis is an ally of Skull Face why? because the soldiers from the hospital are the same XOF soldiers from GZ and since we saw Big Boss later with SF teaming up maybe he becomes a buddy later?

Remember that Psycho Mantis was a part of Big Boss' army, as said at the beginning of MGS1. Something along the lines of FoxHound being comprised of former Outer Heaven soldiers. We can assume Mantis and, perhaps, some genome soldiers were being referred to? I need to watch that scene again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom