• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayEH

eqUTLUA.png

Bricky

I still hope MGSV's release date will be announced soon. If not this month hopefully march or april.

If the game hits shelves before the end of September (which makes the most sense) then I'd say there is no doubt the release date will be announced before summer.

MattyG

Banned
I've decided that I'm going to do replay every Metal Gear game before V comes to, but I don't know how I should go about it. Should I play them in order of release, or chronological order? Should I play the MSX games? Portable Ops?

JayEH

I've decided that I'm going to do replay every Metal Gear game before V comes to, but I don't know how I should go about it. Should I play them in order of release, or chronological order? Should I play the MSX games? Portable Ops?

I would recommend order of release, chronological is very jarring. Metal Gear 1 is tough to go back to, you could play it if you want but I would recommend a guide. Metal gear 2 is much better.

and portable ops?

crap.gif

Choomp

Banned

I tried doing this. I forgot how bad I truly was at Metal Gear, I struggled mightily with MGS1. I decided to just replay Peace Walker and 3 because they're all you need really for Phantom Pain.

MattyG

Banned
I would recommend order of release, chronological is very jarring. Metal Gear 1 is tough to go back to, you could play it if you want but I would recommend a guide. Metal gear 2 is much better.

and portable ops?

crap.gif
Am I the only one here that enjoyed Portable Ops?

I tried doing this. I forgot how bad I truly was at Metal Gear, I struggled mightily with MGS1. I decided to just replay Peace Walker and 3 because they're all you need really for Phantom Pain.
I've never actually played MGS1 all the way through, so that one will probably give me trouble. I'm pretty decent at 2 and 3, so I'll definitely play them, and I've been meaning to play 4 again now that they patched in trophies. And I never finished PW either, got stuck on one of the bosses I think.

JayEH

I've never actually played MGS1 all the way through, so that one will probably give me trouble. I'm pretty decent at 2 and 3, so I'll definitely play them, and I've been meaning to play 4 again now that they patched in trophies. And I never finished PW either, got stuck on one of the bosses I think.

i don't hate PO. I hate that Konami won't put it up on PSN for me to see if I hate it or not.

MattyG

Banned
i don't hate PO. I hate that Konami won't put it up on PSN for me to see if I hate it or not.
It's not on PSN? That's where I bought it, got it when I had my PSP Go. Did they remove it or something?

Just checked the store and I found it. See if you can see it with this link. Now the onl question is if you can get it on your Vita (I assume that's what you'd play it on.) I haven't tried putting it on it, and I'm not sure if you can.

JayEH

It's not on PSN? That's where I bought it, got it when I had my PSP Go. Did they remove it or something?

Just checked the store and I found it. See if you can see it with this link. Now the onl question is if you can get it on your Vita (I assume that's what you'd play it on.) I haven't tried putting it on it, and I'm not sure if you can.

i meant for vita. you can't play it on vita in NA.

Rean

Raiden takes priority in that time period.

MGS:R. I still believe.
I still wanna see more stories about Solid Snake though. In between 1 and 2 or 2 and 4 is room for more games. Either that or a game with the Boss. They could do another stealth game with raiden in between 2 and 4 though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I never played it but I liked what I saw with respect to the story. Seemed like a good continuation for Big Boss.

I'm pretty decent at 2 and 3, so I'll definitely play them

If you haven't yet, I would suggest playing them on European Extreme difficulty. It makes replays really fun and interesting. 2 in particular is essentially a whole different game on E.E. as opposed to, say, Normal.

MattyG

Banned
i meant for vita. you can't play it on vita in NA.
I never realized this and it's making me unreasonably angry right now. I'm going to see if I can't do the "download to PS3 and transfer" trick, that's worked for other games before.

NOPE, that doesn't work either. What is this bullshit, Konami?
I never played it but I liked what I saw with respect to the story. Seemed like a good continuation for Big Boss.

If you haven't yet, I would suggest playing them on European Extreme difficulty. It makes replays really fun and interesting. 2 in particular is essentially a whole different game on E.E. as opposed to, say, Normal.
Oh yeah, I meant to ask you guys about difficulty. I'll definitely do that!

Can't wait to get back to them. I've played 2 and 3 in short bursts multiple times over the last 6 months, but I was going for the platinum trophy every time and I eventually just gave up because I wasn't having fun checking collectibles off a list. I've resigned myself to the fact that they are just not games made for trophy hunting, they're best played when only focusing on the game.

Which do you guys prefer, 2 or 3? I've always liked 3 the most because of the tone of it and the setting, but I've heard that a lot of people don't like 3 all that much.

Sub_Level

Oh yeah, I meant to ask you guys about difficulty. I'll definitely do that!

Can't wait to get back to them. I've played 2 and 3 in short bursts multiple times over the last 6 months, but I was going for the platinum trophy every time and I eventually just gave up because I wasn't having fun checking collectibles off a list. I've resigned myself to the fact that they are just not games made for trophy hunting, they're best played when only focusing on the game.

Which do you guys prefer, 2 or 3? I've always liked 3 the most because of the tone of it and the setting, but I've heard that a lot of people don't like 3 all that much.

3 seems to be the fan favorite. Mine is 2.

I can understand why some people would not want to platinum 2. It requires you to play through the game at least 4 times, maybe 5, on varying difficulties for the dog tags. And the vr missions start out easy but soon became reset after reset after reset after reset. It's not for everyone.

I stated back in OT1 that 4 is my favorite but for personal reasons(End of an Era, 10 years since I played MGS1, SS got older just like I did and his story coming to an end). Technically 3 is the best one but my favorite is 4.

MattyG

Banned
I'm going to go dark on TPP now, but I'm going to allow myself to watch old trailers and GODDAMN is this one still amazing. This game is going to be something else.

3's quite possibly my favorite Metal Gear game.
q19B9.gif

I can understand why some people would not want to platinum 2. It requires you to play through the game at least 4 times, maybe 5, on varying difficulties for the dog tags. And the vr missions start out easy but soon became reset after reset after reset after reset. It's not for everyone.
Yeah, that may be why. I'll probably go for it in at least 3 after I do these European Extreme playthroughs. For 2, I have almost all the dog tags for the Tanker I think, so maybe I'll just go for it. I'll just have to space it out so I don't get burnt out on the games.

Sub_Level

Yeah, that may be why. I'll probably go for it in at least 3 after I do these European Extreme playthroughs. For 2, I have almost all the dog tags for the Tanker I think, so maybe I'll just go for it. I'll just have to space it out so I don't get burnt out on the games.

3 is a fairly easy platinum. If you don't like 2's gameplay then you really, really, really won't like getting 2's platinum because those vr missions dig deep into the gameplay.

J.EM1

3 as well. Mostly because it introduced CQC and the camo system.

At the time, I was a bit let down after MGS2 because of the whole character switch-a-roo. Wasn't until college when I replayed it and realized the genius behind it.

Those mgs1 snake variety missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom