• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
oh, i always play with reflex off. i prefer the pacing of the game without it as it slows it down,adds difficulty and i don't think there's anything wrong with rolling with triggered alerts as there's much more to the game apart from stealth.

obviously because of the nature of reflex, this makes most speedruns much quicker. i'll be coming back to no reflex, but it's interesting to play with reflex sometimes as it does really change the playstyle.

strafer

Dawg is the only one left

69e1bce33ac975e1f48f244209f48ee8.jpg

Nooo, I forgot about Dawg, hope he doesn't read this.

Well I called the wrong gamestop in my sleepy stupor this morning, I called around 4PM upon realizing this to my usual GS and they had 1 preorder left.

The weird thing is they had to set it up through the employee gamestop online website, I have an order number and everything and the manager was there too. So it's all good.

I got the CE though BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROTHERS!

I slipped the cute MGS fangirl a line too, when she asked me how long I'd been waiting.

I said "I've Been Waiting for this!" and she got it, she loves MGS3. She already has hers preordered.

Rajang

Well I called the wrong gamestop in my sleepy stupor this morning, I called around 4PM upon realizing this to my usual GS and they had 1 preorder left.

The weird thing is they had to set it up through the employee gamestop online website, I have an order number and everything and the manager was there too. So it's all good.

I slipped the cute MGS fangirl a line too, when she asked me how long I'd been waiting.

I said "I've Been Waiting for this!" and she got it, she loves MGS3. She already has hers preordered.

Haha, thats awesome man.

Glad you got the CE.

giphy.gif

Shy

Hahaha, f u.
lol. what was that for.
It only cost you

An arm and a leg

leuhkikn7ske.gif
don't remind me. :_: :p

congrats.

I will never forget the day Gamestop screwed me out of the MGS CE. I'm still salty.

Yeah well, these guys have done pretty well by me in the past which is the only reason I'm doing it.

I was one of the first people to get one of like two copies of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon left in the whole area because I preordered, and they also gave me this special Luigi Hat on behalf of NOA for being one of the first people to buy the game or something.

I also won this Art cell from Rockstar North, when there must have been like a hundred people entered into it at the GTAV midnight release at this same store.

I've always gotten exactly what I preordered every single time and the managers there and the cute girl always seem to bend over backwards to make sure I get my items.

Yeah well, these guys have done pretty well by me in the past which is the only reason I'm doing it.

I was one of the first people to get one of like two copies of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon left in the whole area because I preordered, and they also gave me this special Luigi Hat on behalf of NOA for being one of the first people to buy the game or something.

I also won this Art cell from Rockstar North, when there must have been like a hundred people entered into it at the GTAV midnight release at this same store.

I've always gotten exactly what I preordered every single time and the managers there and the cute girl always seem to bend over backwards to make sure I get my items.
I wasn't insinuating anything about your order. It just brought back horrific memories that I wish I could block from my mind. ;_;

Kindekuma

Banned
All this talk about CE reminds me of the time I was ignorant and didn't get the Rising CE. So after launch I went to my usual GS and just asked if they sold any CE for the game left over, and apparently the guy who was supposed to buy his hasn't shown up and if he didn't arrive in 3 hours I could have it.

So I waited it out, and bought it the second his reserved slot expired. They tried calling him and leaving messages but he never returned them. I'm not sure if he ever went to pick it up later on but I guess that's life. Dat lamp tho.
Tora if you read this, my lamp's plasma function doesn't work at all anymore so would there be a replacement program? ;_;

Salaadin

oh, i always play with reflex off. i prefer the pacing of the game without it as it slows it down,adds difficulty and i don't think there's anything wrong with rolling with triggered alerts as there's much more to the game apart from stealth.

obviously because of the nature of reflex, this makes most speedruns much quicker. i'll be coming back to no reflex, but it's interesting to play with reflex sometimes as it does really change the playstyle.

I never liked the second chance that reflex gives. I understand why is there and can appreciate it as a way to give newer players an easier way to play but I'm so grateful that KojiPro was smart enough to include the option to disable it.

JayEH

I never liked the second chance that reflex gives. I understand why is there and can appreciate it as a way to give newer players an easier way to play but I'm so grateful that KojiPro was smart enough to include the option to disable it.

Reflex isn't a second chance. It's the chance you would usually get in Past MGS games since when you got spotted you wouldn't be in alert right away. In the older games you had the chance to stop someone from radioing in back up. Now as soon as you get spotted you the entire area is under alert. Game is built to have the player use reflex.

Rajang

I do think the game should penalize players for abusing reflex. If you look at some S rank speedruns that finish the game in 3 minutes, they just run form point A to B and neutralize every enemy they encounter through reflex. It completely takes away the challenge of the game and should not award players with an S rank.

Btw how do pre-orders work at Gamestop? Do you have to pay up front? Thats how it works at 12game (where I pre-ordered it).

Salaadin

Reflex isn't a second chance. It's the chance you would usually get in Past MGS games since when you got spotted you wouldn't be in alert right away. In the older games you had the chance to stop someone from radioing in back up. Now as soon as you get spotted you the entire area is under alert. Game is built to have the player use reflex.
Not entirely true but I get your point.

It is still different in that previous MGS games would have the enemy run and hide before calling and didn't they sometimes pop you with a few shots before running to call for backup?

In GZ with reflex on, they literally stand there while you line up your shot. The slow motion here really kills it too.

Obviously, the best option would be enemy radios but we can't be that lucky.

I do think the game should penalize players for abusing reflex. If you look at some S rank speedruns that finish the game in 3 minutes, they just run form point A to B and neutralize every enemy they encounter through reflex. It completely takes away the challenge of the game and should not award players with an S rank.

Btw how do pre-orders work at Gamestop? Do you have to pay up front? Thats how it works at 12game (where I pre-ordered it).
They do award points for not using it but I do agree that there should be a harsher penalty for when you do. Maybe a 3 reflex limit before points are deducted it something.

And GS typically asks for 5 bucks down on a 60 dollar game and then you pay the difference when you pick it up. Higher priced stuff like limited editions and consoles require more money down.

Yeah you have to pay some of the cost, or in this case all of the cost since they are only getting a small allotment of CEs for September 1st and they can only do it through these online only orders to the store. Which typically, you'd just hand them money and they process an order(typically $5 for a minimum to pre-order) and you get a receipt. If you paid it off you don't have to do anything except come into the store on release or at Midnight if they have a release party.

If you didn't pay it off you pay it off before the release date. They were doing things differently this time because of how rare this CE is. I'm kinda glad I broke down and did it.

Shy

If you use reflex mode, you shouldn't be able to get an S rank, irrespective of how well you play.

Salaadin

Salaadin u still playing MonHun? I need to work through my HR5 keys, and could use some halp :p
Bits and pieces when I can. Work got real busy this past week so I've been putting in a lot of time and haven't been able to play much.

I beat the story mode last Sunday and started working on HR5 keys myself with my brother. Only did a few of them. We might work on more tomorrow but I don't know when yet. I'll see if you're online if we do.

1400018821303.gif

Bits and pieces when I can. Work got real busy this past week so I've been putting in a lot of time and haven't been able to play much.

I beat the story mode last Sunday and started working on HR5 keys myself with my brother. Only did a few of them. We might work on more tomorrow but I don't know when yet. I'll see if you're online if we do.
Yeah my playtime has fallen off quite a bit too lately. Hopefully we can tag up soon!

JayEH

Sorry man, but i'm quite strict about this, if you use reflex mode, you don't deserve S rank.
You should earn the highest rank, not have it given to you.

I will screenshot you all my S ranks with reflex in September.

As I've said the game is built around it and it's not like reflex automatically gets you out every time you get spotted. You're not given the S rank automatically for using reflex.

LowParry

I will screenshot you all my S ranks with reflex in September.

As I've said the game is built around it and it's not like reflex automatically gets you out every time you get spotted.

Sure as hell seems like it in GZ. Even in Hard Mode, it almost makes the game feel so damn easy.

JayEH

You're not given a S rank for using reflex in GZ. You still have to earn it and more importantly I felt I earned it. You still have to be quick enough to finish the mission in a certain time frame, not kill anyone, and still get no alerts. And getting reflex =/ no alerts. I've gotten plenty of alerts using relfex mode.

I don't see how it matters to you guys how someone else plays the game and if whether or not you get an S with a feature enabled in the game. It comes off as very snobbish. If you want more of a challenge fine but don't make it seem like you're less of a player for using reflex.

Shy

If reflex mode was turned off by default, than you would have an argument, but its something that's included from the get go and something the game is designed around.
I know the game was designed around it, that doesn't diminish the fact that it's a crutch for people who aren't the best at the game to feel good. my point is still valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom