• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

You're not given a S rank for using reflex in GZ. You still have to earn it and more importantly I felt I earned it. You still have to be quick enough to finish the mission in a certain time frame, not kill anyone, and still get no alerts. And getting reflex =/ no alerts. I've gotten plenty of alerts using relfex mode.

I don't see how it matters to you guys how someone else plays the game and if whether or not you get an S with a feature enabled in the game. It comes off as very snobbish. If you want more of a challenge fine but don't make it seem like you're less of a player for using reflex.
It doesn't mater to me if you use it or not, and i'm really sorry i'm coming across as snobbish, i don't mean too.
I just don't think you should get the highest rank for using it.
it is the highest rank, it is something you should strive for and most importantly earn, through putting all your skills to the test. and shouldn't involve any player aids, as it defeats the point.

EDIT: I don't think you're a lesser play for using it, if that's why you're a bit upset with me.

Salaadin

Yeah my playtime has fallen off quite a bit too lately. Hopefully we can tag up soon!

Real life sucks. I wish I could hunt monsters 24/7. Id be much happier :p

You're not given a S rank for using reflex in GZ. You still have to earn it and more importantly I felt I earned it. You still have to be quick enough to finish the mission in a certain time frame, not kill anyone, and still get no alerts. And getting reflex =/ no alerts. I've gotten plenty of alerts using relfex mode.

I don't see how it matters to you guys how someone else plays the game and if whether or not you get an S with a feature enabled in the game. It comes off as very snobbish. If you want more of a challenge fine but don't make it seem like you're less of a player for using reflex.

I dont care how anyone plays it. If you like reflex, thats fine. Im not going to consider you a lesser player for using it.
But it is my own opinion that it cheapens the game somewhat. I feel like it has no place in Metal Gear as much as I feel like instant alerts have no place but Kojima and/or Konami seem to have different feelings on this.

I just dont like the idea of a stealth game mechanic that allows players to sprint around levels in the open, get spotted, and still have an out. It looks and feels bad to me. Reflex is just the latest example of a gameplay mechanic that does match the game narrative.

JayEH

It doesn't mater to me if you use it or not, and i'm really sorry i'm coming across as snobbish, i don't mean too.
I just don't think you should get the highest rank for using it.
it is the highest rank, it is something you should strive for and most importantly earn, through putting all your skills to the test. and shouldn't involve any player aids, as it defeats the point.

EDIT: I don't think you're a lesser play for using it, if that's why you're a bit upset with me.

Nah man we're cool.

I just think it shouldn't matter if someone gets a S rank using reflex because it doesn't effect players who don't use it. Yeah it may have been "easier" for someone using reflex but all that matters is that a person felt like they earned it. That's the point I'm trying to get across.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Nope, I hated it. What a horrible game that MGS1 was.

tumblr_meoidq2qn21ry9vkao2_500.gif

So you don't like Reflex because it makes it easier, but you seem to favour the systems that would make it easier? For example, calling for back up.

Shy

Just came here to share some of my fanart, still a bit noob in this kind of things.
I really like it, you're pretty good.

I would like to see more, if you're willing to share them with us.
So you don't like Reflex because it makes it easier, but you seem to favour the systems that would make it easier? For example, calling for back up.
Well i can't speak for anyone else, but i hate the global alert because it's silly from an in game perspective.
In GZ for instance, a guard in the boiler room sees you, no body else is around, but the whole base is a alerted, it's stupid and a step down from 2 and 3, with all the details that they had (being able to wound them, shooting out the radios, etc.)

Sorry if i can't articulate it better.

Salaadin

Calling for backup doesn't make the game easier.

In MGS2 and MGS3, enemies would see you, retaliate against you with either a kick or a short spurt of bullets, run away to a safer area, and then try call for backup. The player was often left with less health and had to pursue the enemy quickly before backup was called. Even if the enemy said a few words over the radio but never called for a full alert, HQ would still send backup to investigate, prompting the player to hide anyways.

It's more immersive, makes for better gameplay, and is more realistic. It's a better option than ground zeroes slow motion or instant alerts.

Well i can't speak for anyone else, but i hate the global alert because it's silly from an in game perspective.
In GZ for instance, a guard in the boiler room sees you, no body else is around, but the whole base is a alerted, it's stupid and a step down from 2 and 3, with all the details that they had (being able to wound them, shooting out the radios, etc.)

Sorry if i can't articulate it better.

So would you instead want to be able to take out the guard as he radios it in? It would mean you could easily take out every guard you came across. It's literally the same as Reflex, you get a period of time to react. Putting the MGS2 system into GZ or TPP would be a mess.

Rajang

So would you instead want to be able to take out the guard as he radios it in? It would mean you could easily take out every guard you came across. It's literally the same as Reflex, you get a period of time to react. Putting the MGS2 system into GZ or TPP would be a mess.

Why?

Salaadin

An enemy standing still while the player enters slow motion auto aim reflex mode is not literally the same thing as having to chase down and eliminate an enemy in real time before he utters a single word over his radio.

And calling for backup would not be a mess in GZ. In fact, an enemy radio system already exists in the game where enemies communicate, ask each other to check out disturbances, and even call for backup when someone doesn't appropriately check in. They just don't seem to need it for alerts for some reason.

Shy

No it is not. there is a massive difference between trying to shoot a radio in a guards hand in real-time as opposed to a matrix-style bullet time.

And by your logic, you're able to go through MGS2 easily shooting all the radios out, i'd like to see that.

Skullface

It's a put on, It's a Put on.

Man I love The Who, I've always wanted an MGS game to open with a Who song from Quadrophenia.

Come and join the party dress to kill

If there's any urban missions ala MGS4, Eminence Front is playing on my iDroid and I'm pretending I'm in a cheesy 80's action flick.

Skullface

I fucking love that Tom on Toonami still does videogame reviews! I remember when he did Morrowind and was brutally honest about how badly the combat sucked when compared to action games. Damn you Tom, I enjoyed Morrowind none the less.

Wow, I guess Toonami's been back for a while, because I missed this :https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uzQFhoLxs

9.5.... You're pretty good.

SamuraiX-

I fucking love that Tom on Toonami still does videogame reviews! I remember when he did Morrowind and was brutally honest about how badly the combat sucked when compared to action games. Damn you Tom, I enjoyed Morrowind none the less.

Wow, I guess Toonami's been back for a while, because I missed this :https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uzQFhoLxs

9.5.... You're pretty good.

That's so fucking awesome.

Damn, Toonami was the best thing ever. I wish they would move it back to 4-6pm so kids nowadays can appreciate it.

Damn, Toonami was the best thing ever. I wish they would move it back to 4-6pm so kids nowadays can appreciate it.

Yeah but then, we wouldn't get stuff like Deadman Wonderland, FMA:B, or KLK.

And I'll take that over babby viewership, they won't weren't born back in the awesome times? Fuck'em.

xam3l

Did you use the program DMesh?

Illustrator and Photoshop. Took me some hours to make it, it has hundreds of layers.

You're pretty good.

That looks really good. You should make more Metal Gear fan art.

Make something with Gray Fox.

Thanks guys! =D Will do more for sure, the image links to my deviantart page, so far its all I got.

Skullface

I remember when Moltar was the host. There was maybe 1-2 animes, the rest were 80's action cartoons. There was Voltron and Speed Racer and shit. The good old days...

sasliquid

OuterGAF I haz question

I would like to replay Peace Walker but every time I think about it I dread the
torture
scene due to my awfully slow tapping speed. Is it any easier on easy mode? or any way around it?

Also Vita (so I can have 1-3+PW on one system) or PS3 (for trophies)

Rean

OuterGAF I haz question

torture
scene due to my awfully slow tapping speed. Is it any easier on easy mode? or any way around it?

Not sure about the torture, but I think you can have all of those in Vita.

Rajang

OuterGAF I haz question

torture

Play PW on PS3. The framerate, controls and image quality are awful on the PSP the version. PS3 version controls much better (camera control with right stick) and is locked 60 fps in 720p resolution.

PW's
torture
is actually one of the easiest in the series, well at least for me anyway. But there is no easy mode and no way around that scene.

Alfrays

Neo Member
Play PW on PS3. The framerate, controls and image quality are awful on the PSP the version. PS3 version controls much better (camera control with right stick) and is locked 60 fps in 720p resolution.

PW's
torture
is actually one of the easiest in the series, well at least for me anyway. But there is no easy mode and no way around that scene.

actually, if you play in coop, one of the two players can
infiltrate in the command room and play with the controls. In that way the voltage can be lowered, or cause a blackout.

Rajang

infiltrate in the command room and play with the controls. In that way the voltage can be lowered, or cause a blackout.

Wow, never knew this. I never did Co-op with the main missions.

Skullface

OuterGAF I haz question

torture

Use the pen trick. The torture in MGS1 is 10 times harder and I beat it for the first time using this method recently, mind you I owned MGS1 when it first came out.

Wow, that is awesome. I never played coop outside of boss battles but I did wonder what the deal was with the command room and its purpose, that's pretty cool.

Are there many other mechanics tailored for co ops that are largely missed by going solo?

Alfrays

Neo Member
Wow, that is awesome. I never played coop outside of boss battles but I did wonder what the deal was with the command room and its purpose, that's pretty cool.

Are there many other mechanics tailored for co ops that are largely missed by going solo?

aside for the use of the railgun, the catapult(made form monster parts, and are needed 4 players), and the help with the climb, nothing more i think, maybe just the fact that if you use a chaff grenade then the mic doesn't work anymore till the end of the effect. But is more a gem for us because Kojima is careful to details.

Its so painful trying to stay out of that Bloodborne spoilers thread. But I must stay strong! Can some Diamond Dogs at least share some spoiler-free impressions?!?!

Its so painful trying to stay out of that Bloodborne spoilers thread. But I must stay strong! Can some Diamond Dogs at least share some spoiler-free impressions?!?!

It's great, more about shortcuts than bonfires (it's not bonfires but it's an equivalent) and it's about 45-50 hours long. Difficult as hell. If you're worried about spoilers, I won't say anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom