• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
I do think the game should penalize players for abusing reflex. If you look at some S rank speedruns that finish the game in 3 minutes, they just run form point A to B and neutralize every enemy they encounter through reflex. It completely takes away the challenge of the game and should not award players with an S rank.

Btw how do pre-orders work at Gamestop? Do you have to pay up front? Thats how it works at 12game (where I pre-ordered it).

Not entirely true but I get your point.

It is still different in that previous MGS games would have the enemy run and hide before calling and didn't they sometimes pop you with a few shots before running to call for backup?

In GZ with reflex on, they literally stand there while you line up your shot. The slow motion here really kills it too.

Obviously, the best option would be enemy radios but we can't be that lucky.

They do award points for not using it but I do agree that there should be a harsher penalty for when you do. Maybe a 3 reflex limit before points are deducted it something.

And GS typically asks for 5 bucks down on a 60 dollar game and then you pay the difference when you pick it up. Higher priced stuff like limited editions and consoles require more money down.

You're not given a S rank for using reflex in GZ. You still have to earn it and more importantly I felt I earned it. You still have to be quick enough to finish the mission in a certain time frame, not kill anyone, and still get no alerts. And getting reflex =/ no alerts. I've gotten plenty of alerts using relfex mode.

I don't see how it matters to you guys how someone else plays the game and if whether or not you get an S with a feature enabled in the game. It comes off as very snobbish. If you want more of a challenge fine but don't make it seem like you're less of a player for using reflex.

It doesn't mater to me if you use it or not, and i'm really sorry i'm coming across as snobbish, i don't mean too.
I just don't think you should get the highest rank for using it.
it is the highest rank, it is something you should strive for and most importantly earn, through putting all your skills to the test. and shouldn't involve any player aids, as it defeats the point.

EDIT: I don't think you're a lesser play for using it, if that's why you're a bit upset with me.

The scoring system will make more sense in TPP when you have longer missions with more variables. Ground Zeroes by comparison has short missions, and because of this there's nothing to really to deduct from your score.

Otherwise, in GZ a normal stealth run will usually get you an A or S rank.

Shy

The scoring system will make more sense in TPP when you have longer missions with more variables. Ground Zeroes by comparison has short missions, and because of this there's nothing to really to deduct from your score.

Otherwise, in GZ a normal stealth run will usually get you an A or S rank.
Sorry man, irrespective of mission length, if you choose to have have reflex mode turned on, it should disqualify you being able to get the best rank in a mission.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
CAKuLgKUcAA_4BR.jpg:large

Chinner

Banned
Sorry man, irrespective of mission length, if you choose to have have reflex mode turned on, it should disqualify you being able to get the best rank in a mission.
I was referring to the scoring scene in it's entirety and not just reflex.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if you feel it should disqualify you from a S rank, Kojima has allowed it to be achievable. Regardless, if you want to insist on elitism, the implementation of the trial and global rankings devalues the ranking system because now you can have actual specific variables measured and then ranked competitively with players globally. If you are bothered about bragging rights, being able to say "I'm #13 in mission X" is by far better way to measure someone's skill against other players as reference.

Another benefit that trials and global ranking allows for recognition of constantly improving game skill and techniques. Last year, getting a sub 5 minute run in GZ would be considered competitive, a year later, it's average and we're now looking at people breaking sub 3 minutes. Having a letter ranking system is arbitrary in the sense that it's requirements are pre-determined and static from launch, meaning that rankings do not address that standards improve over time and reflect this as appropriate.

My play style choice is with reflex off, but I'm not going to pretend that playing reflex makes you a bad player. Forfeiting the points bonus is a fair tradeoff.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if you feel it should disqualify you from a S rank, Kojima has allowed it to be achievable. Regardless, if you want to insist on elitism, the implementation of the trial and global rankings devalues the ranking system because now you can have actual specific variables measured and then ranked competitively with players globally. If you are bothered about bragging rights, being able to say "I'm #13 in mission X" is by far better way to measure someone's skill.

Another benefit that trials and global ranking allows for recognition of constantly improving game skill and techniques. Last year, getting a sub 5 minute run in GZ would be considered competitive, a year later, it's average and we're now looking at people breaking sub 3 minutes. Having a letter ranking system is arbitrary in the sense that it's requirements are pre-determined and static from launch, meaning that rankings do not address that standards improve over time making it even more worthless.

My play style choice is with reflex off, but I'm not going to pretend that playing reflex makes you a bad player. Forfeiting the points bonus is a fair payoff I feel.

Thank you.

Holy shit, I don't know why Reflex Mode gets people so butt-blasted.

Shy

Ultimately it doesn't matter if you feel it should disqualify you from a S rank, Kojima has allowed it to be achievable. Regardless, if you want to insist on elitism, the implementation of the trial and global rankings devalues the ranking system because now you can have actual specific variables measured and then ranked competitively with players globally. If you are bothered about bragging rights, being able to say "I'm #13 in mission X" is by far better way to measure someone's skill.

Another benefit that trials and global ranking allows for recognition of constantly improving game skill and techniques. Last year, getting a sub 5 minute run in GZ would be considered competitive, a year later, it's average and we're now looking at people breaking sub 3 minutes. Having a letter ranking system is arbitrary in the sense that it's requirements are pre-determined and static from launch, meaning that rankings do not address that standards improve over time making it even more worthless.

My play style choice is with reflex off, but I'm not going to pretend that playing reflex makes you a bad player. Forfeiting the points bonus is a fair payoff I feel.
First things first, i DO NOT THINK you are a bad player if you use reflex mode. so please stop implying i think that.

Now, it's irreverent if Kojima allowed it, i'm telling you my personal opinion.

All ranks are per-determenad and static, because it's a set of requirements that you need to get said rank.
So by your logic, ranks in all MGS games have been meaningless.

S rank is what we currently know of in TPP is the equivalent of big boss rank, so i believe it should be tough to get, and not something easily earned.

A better way i think for me to get my point across is, in MGS2 if i used both the bandana and the stealh at the same time to finish the game, do you still think i should get a big boss rank. ?

I completely agree about about online leaderboards as a much more dynamic way to judge skill, but there should be a good offline ranking system as well.

And the elitism accusation is unfair.

Did you guys know that crazy people are playing metal gear online RIGHT NOW?

I think its really strange how fast they take the game servers down for mgo1 and mgo2.

It seems like people would still be playing or buying a standalone version of the mgo2 on ps3..

Vally

I don't mind the instant alert to be honest, otherwise with the new controls I think it would be too easy to take the enemy out before he alerts the others. Besides if I'm discovered it gives me an excuse to go full rambo which is as fun as sneaking imo.

TheBoss1

Pretty much. It should be like past iterations of MGS where if you use the stealth camo gadget, it automatically disqualifies you from acquiring the highest title instantly.
Åesop;156061321 said:
Why do we have the instant alert mechanic in MGS V anyway?
Because casuals.

Seriously though, it's an annoying feature that's a side effect of reflex being a part of the core gameplay. I HATE that they don't radio it in and everyone knows where I am.

TLOU has instant alerts as well but I don't hear anyone bitching about it.
Well at least on Grounded mode

Rajang

Pretty much. It should be like past iterations of MGS where if you use the stealth camo gadget, it automatically disqualifies you from acquiring the highest title instantly.

Because casuals.

Seriously though, it's an annoying feature that's a side effect of reflex being a part of the core gameplay. I HATE that they don't radio it in and everyone knows where I am.

TLOU has instant alerts as well but I don't hear anyone bitching about it.
Well at least on Grounded mode

I completely agree.

Maybe nobody else gets spotted by guards or something but try playing mgs3 again in an area like the supply base before the Ocelot battle, if you get spotted the whole base goes instantly on alert with 8 or so guys shooting at you, one of the radio guys will call in for reinforcements but that's the only difference.

I think the way GZ could do with a few tweaks, but the result would be mostly cosmetic. Once guards hear a battle is happening, they should be aware of it without anyone needing to tell them.
In TPP you'll encounter guard posts which are well away from major bases, so behaviour might already work different in those cases.

I haven't checked yet but I think in GZ you can punch a guard to stun him mid alert shout, but when he stops staggering and looks at you the CP starts magically shouting, THAT is stupid. I would prefer if it's initiated by his first gunshot rather than an arbitrary period of time.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone enlighten me: Why does the Uncharted 4 Gameplay trailer from 06.December say 2016 at the end of the video when it was just recently delayed??

Åesop;156071665 said:
Can someone enlighten me: Why does the Uncharted 4 Gameplay trailer from 06.December say 2016 at the end of the video when it was just recently delayed??

Is it done in overlayed text like the 4 links in the corners? edit: nope

Maybe they updated it then, but I don't know how to youtube.

Skullface

Holy shit, I just realized how little reviews mean to me, but at the same time the amount of power they have over me. I LOVE DBX. I just now noticed that Destructoid gives the game a 4.5/10. If I saw in advance that any source gave the game such a low score I'd be so reluctant to buy the game. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom