• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldLogos

Banned
It's not out of the realm of possibility. She was listed as being in her 20s in 2005 so she could've been born anytime between 1976 and 1985, which would probably put her at 5-9 years of age if she appears in TPP. The only problem is that it would appear the main mission in the Middle East in TPP takes places in Afghanistan and the Iraqi Kurdistan region where Sniper Wolf was born is separated by several hundred miles with Iran in between them. It would be a shame if we didn't get to see her though since the timeline fits perfectly without needing to use retcons. Hopefully there's some Extra Ops mission that focuses on Big Boss rescuing her.

My thoughts exactly. She was born a Kurd, but that doesn't mean she wasn't in Afghanistan...

Regardless of the ethnic backgrounds of Big Boss's parents, the egg that was fertilized with Big Boss's sperm was retrieved from a Japanese woman who was Dr. Clark's assistant.

Wait but BB was sterile, right? And they're his clones not his children... So it wasn't a donor egg that he fertilized, but instead a donor egg that they put BB's genes into. Anybody with some genetics info know if that would cause any genes to spill over?

sexyelder

In TPP we have:

Child Liquid
Child Mantis
Young Ocelot

There's a good chance we'll see the formation of MGS1's FOXHOUND. At the very least I'm sure we'll see young Sniper Wolf.
I bet TPP will be more self contained than u think and u will be utterly dissapointed.

Skullface

Yeah its just a favorite YouTuber of mine, Nerd 3, did this whole rant about how its inappropriate and disgusting, and im like dude calm down :/

It definitely instigated a reaction from me, but that's what he set out to do. Skull Face is a disgusting character, and I may not have felt so strongly about it if not for the tapes. I also might add that they're very implicit, we don't really know for sure everything that happened.

sexyelder

It definitely instigated a reaction from me, but that's what he set out to do. Skull Face is a disgusting character, and I may not have felt so strongly about it if not for the tapes. I also might add that they're very implicit, we don't really know for sure everything that happened.
I agree, I think skullface is a dark mirror of Big Boss who is already pretty dark. There's not really a main good guy in TPP, just the "Bad Guy" and the worse guy.

Skullface

I agree, I think skullface is a dark mirror of Big Boss who is already pretty dark. There's not really a main good guy in TPP, just the "Bad Guy" and the worse guy.

Weeeelllll, I don't know that I'm willing to call Big Boss a bad guy yet, although I truly do want to see him as one. I want to see PP challenge my moral compass.

SamuraiX-

My thoughts exactly. She was born a Kurd, but that doesn't mean she wasn't in Afghanistan...

Well, her backstory implies that before Big Boss saved her and turned her into a child soldier that she was just surviving from day to day in the battlefield. It wouldn't really make sense for her to be in Afghanistan considering its several hundred miles away from her the Kurdistan region. I was more thinking that Big Boss would take a side mission infiltrate Iraq acting as a merc for hire during the Iran-Iraq War in the 1980s and he would find her during this mission.

Wait but BB was sterile, right? And they're his clones not his children... So it wasn't a donor egg that he fertilized, but instead a donor egg that they put BB's genes into. Anybody with some genetics info know if that would cause any genes to spill over?

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the inconsistency that MGS4 introduced. EVA mentions in-vitro fertilization was used to fertilize an egg from the Japanese woman, but it wouldn't matter if Big Boss was actually sterile rather than just infertile. To actually clone Big Boss, they would have had to transfer a nucleus from one of Big Boss's somatic cells to one of the Japanese woman's egg cells that had its nucleus removed. This still leaves maternal mitochondrial DNA, which is why the clones weren't perfect copies and that would give Solid and Liquid sort of pseudo-Japanese origins. Apparently the MGS1 Official Mission Handbook from MGS1 went with this rationale too.

Just curious if anyone has an answer to this here-

Why does the European Extreme Difficulty exist? Was it some sort of promotional thing? Was is to make up for later release dates?

SamuraiX-

She could also be a baby though.

That's up to Kojima, of course, but I think it would be a wasted opportunity if she doesn't appear in the game at all. Besides, in MGS1 she looked to be in her later 20s rather than early 20s so it's not like it would feel inconsistent.

If there is it isn't something that can't be retconned!

If anything, I hope they retcon the retcons of MGS4 and leave MGS1-3 alone.

SJRB

Gold Member
She could also be a baby though.

You didn't listen to them?

Paz gets gang raped and Chico is forced to have sex with her.

Of course I listened. Gangrape is never implied.

It fits the mature theme Kojima is going for with GZ and TPP, never had any problem with any of it and I seriously don't understand people who are legitimately offended by it.

...what's wrong with the Paz tapes?

Forced rape and implying that they planted a bomb in her vagina. People find it exploitative. I haven't really formed a concrete opinion, but it's certainly shocking.

I don't want there to be stories we aren't allowed to tell or situations we aren't allowed to try and sympathize with. But it perpetuates objectification.

I also think people see it as cheap shock value.

Skullface

Of course I listened. Gangrape is never implied.

It fits the mature theme Kojima is going for with GZ and TPP, never had any problem with any of it and I seriously don't understand people who are legitimately offended by it.

Depends on your definition of "gang rape". At best he has just one of his men rape Paz, at worst, 2 or more plus Chico. But that's just it, you could argue many different scenarios, but we hear it, not see it, so we can't know for sure.

SamuraiX-

I don't have a problem with implied rape in MGS5 given the dark and ugly themes of war Kojima is pushing. That's not to say I wasn't disturbed by it, which I was. That's the point of it though. Paz is a POW that is being tortured so it fits right in with the reality of the situation . Are we going to pretend the disgusting history of rape of civilian women and children by invading soldiers in all the wars of the twentieth century never happened?

Knowing GAF, most people who were insulted/offended were probably just displaying faux outrage.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

If the rape tape is only there to show how bad a man Skullface is, I can understand why people would get upset about it (did anyone actually get upset about it, though? I don't remember any "outcry").

Using rape as a shorthand for evil is a pretty overused and trite trope that often belittles the act itself by ignoring the consequences and effects it has on people.

I don't have a problem with implied rape in MGS5 given the dark and ugly themes of war Kojima is pushing.

Is it implied? Seemed pretty definite.

I don't understand how people are offended. It's Like when people say that a movie is racist because a character in the movie is racist.

No it's not.

I don't understand how people are offended. It's Like when people say that a movie is racist because a character in the movie is racist.

That really is not the same thing.

People can be free to be bothered by a disturbing scene and think Kojima is misguided is choosing to put it in his game. People complaining about it is only a problem if they act like anyone who isn't bothered by it is a monster which I haven't really seen. Ultimately, I didn't particularly care for it and I would rather the vagina bomb thing didn't exist but I don't dwell on it.

Skullface

If the rape tape is only there to show how bad a man Skullface is, I can understand why people would get upset about it (did anyone actually get upset about it, though? I don't remember any "outcry").

Using rape as a shorthand for evil is a pretty overused and trite trope that often belittles the act itself by ignoring the consequences and effects.

Saying that the rape scenario is being used as a shorthand for evil doesn't accurately describe this situation here. What he did was make Chico have sex with Paz more of as a means to torture Chico. I think it's there as a means to show the depths that Skull Face is willing to go to break his opponents and get his way.

The trope here isn't using rape. Truth be told, I can't think of a single other game I've played where I've encountered rape. The real trope is using shocking human behavior to convey evil. At the same time, I can't think of a single other game where I've thought of one of the characters, "what a sick fuck". I think that I literally had this thought, Kojima elicited the reaction he set out for, at least from me.

Rajang

tumblr_mosra4oeYC1rtu7q4o1_500.jpg

That really is not the same thing.

People can be free to be bothered by a disturbing scene and think Kojima is misguided is choosing to put it in his game. People complaining about it is only a problem if they act like anyone who isn't bothered by it is a monster which I haven't really seen. Ultimately, I didn't particularly care for it and I would rather the vagina bomb thing didn't exist but I don't dwell on it.
I believe that the same people who would find one offensive would also find the other offensive.

Skullface

That's exactly what "shorthand for evil" means though.

How do you figure? It's one of more than a handful of things he does that shows how fucked up he is. It's more like a piece of the larger narrative.

Edit: I might add that if he savagely raped her himself just to torture her, that's more like using rape as "shorthand". You kind of omitted a great deal of my post in your response. What Skull Face did was a bit more diabolical.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How do you figure? It's one of more than a handful of things he does that shows how fucked up he is. It's more like a piece of the larger narrative.

I imagine people would take umbrage with the fact it uses rape as a signifier of Skullface's evil, as a mechanic for the story, rather than giving it the weight such a serious and common real life issue deserves. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

Edit: I might add that if he savagely raped her himself just to torture her, that's more like using rape as "shorthand". You kind of omitted a great deal of my post in your response. What Skull Face did was a bit more diabolical.

That's irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom