• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

I don't think Chico actually went through with that threat. He gave in and started talking before it went any further. Eeesh, Paz though. Those lines though that come from Skullface. "Do you like what you see? It's like...fruit." Man knows how to get under your skin alright.

Edit: Okay......the more I listen...nevermind. The hell man.

Skullface

I imagine people would take umbrage with the fact it uses rape as a signifier of Skullface's evil, as a mechanic for the story, rather than giving it the weight such a serious and common real life issue deserves. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

That's irrelevant.

This isn't some documentary on the long term psychological effects of rape. In the context of fictional media, I don't think it's possible to reach the ever moving goalpost of what is acceptable and realistic enough of a portrayal to meet the expections of every individual. We could have had GZ without that aspect of the story. In fact, it's all together optional. But I think that we would have lost something in how disgusting Skull Face is without it. When it comes down to it, what I'm hearing you say is that rape should be off limits when it comes to telling a story that's not specifically about rape. I can think of a lot of great books that would have lost some gravity if all media were to adhere to this logic.

Edit: The Hills Have Eyes and The Last House on the Left are better examples of rape as shorthand for evil.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't some documentary on the long term psychological effects of rape. In the context of fictional media, I don't think it's possible to reach the ever moving goalpost of what is acceptable and realistic enough of a portrayal to meet the expections of every individual. We could have had GZ without that aspect of the story. In fact, it's all together optional. But I think that we would have lost something in how disgusting Skull Face is without it. When it comes down to it, what I'm hearing you say is that rape should be off limits when it comes to telling a story that's not specifically about rape. I can think of a lot of great books that would have lost some gravity if all media were to adhere to this logic.

Edit: The Hills Have Eyes and The Last House on the Left are better examples of rape as shorthand for evil.

What you're "hearing me say" and what I actually said appear to be very different things. I think I said something along the lines of "I understand why people would take issue with it" and then I went on to explain why that might be. That's all.

Goalposts of what is and isn't acceptable have and always will change with the times. It's nothing new, man.

Also, you think GZ would've lost something if that hadn't happened, right? So, hypothetically, if that tape or any reference to Paz's abuse had never existed, would you have said to yourself:

"You know what? Something's missing here... Skullface's character... It's lacking... something... I don't know, a certain je ne sais quoi... [clicks fingers] Eureka! What this game needs is more rape!"

MajorTom

hey guys, whats goin.......
Z1eIy.gif

Nevermind

Chinner

Banned
Anyway...

New speedrun on Intel Rescue Operative/save hideo kojima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXxrUinmMVQ

Managed to shave off almost 20 seconds putting me at 7:47 - #6 on PS4.

Really dislike this mission for speedrunning, there are a few things you can do but it's a RNG and you can do the exact same run but get 10 seconds longercompletion for no controllable reason. No intention of saving Kojima ever again.

Skullface

What you're "hearing me say" and what I actually said appear to be very different things. I think I said something along the lines of "I understand why people would take issue with it" and then I went on to explain why that might be. That's all.

Goalposts of what is and isn't acceptable have and always will change with the times. It's nothing new, man.

Also, you think GZ would've lost something if that hadn't happened, right? So, hypothetically, if that tape or any reference to Paz's abuse had never existed, would you have said to yourself:

"You know what? Something's missing here... Skullface's character... It's lacking... something... I don't know, a certain je ne sais quoi... [clicks fingers] Eureka! What this game needs is more rape!"

I can tell that I've struck a nerve because you're starting to get sarcastic and angry. I'm going to say these things and leave it at that:

1). People have a choice to decide what kind of media they choose to consume. I don't really care much if the media I choose to consume offends someone else or not because they have a choice in whether they want watch, read, play, listen to what ever kind of media they'd like.

2). These moving goalposts make me feel nothing but apathy towards criticism over what is and what is not OK to portray in fiction. Everyone gets upset about something. If it wasn't rape, it would be child soldiers. If it wasn't child soldiers, it would be gratuitous violence.

3). Are you serious with you that line about how "gee, this game needs more rape"? That's pretty shitty that you'd say that. What I meant is having played through the story, I think that the tapes added something. All of them did.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was trying to be funny, chief, whilst getting across the point that you wouldn't have missed them if they weren't there.

All I was saying is that I understand why people might get upset about it.

despite a few temper flares, is anyone else happy people are actually discussing the series and its themes?

What temper flares...?

despite a few temper flares, is anyone else happy people are actually discussing the series and its themes?
Actually, yes. I really wish people wouldn't be afraid to discuss this type of stuff since people haven't actually got bent out of shape about in this thread despite the gifs being posted implying so.

Maybe I missed this - but is this new to anyone else?!?

metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain.jpg

Healing in the chopper? I.V. drip and Big Boss looks exhausted/sick?

This game is going to rock the world.

LowParry

Actually, yes. I really wish people wouldn't be afraid to discuss this type of stuff since people haven't actually got bent out of shape about in this thread despite the gifs being posted implying so.

In the end, it resorts to those said gifs, screaming "BROTHERSSSS!" to everyone and something about cake. Either way it goes in full circles.

In the end, it resorts to those said gifs, screaming "BROTHERSSSS!" to everyone and something about cake. Either way it goes in full circles.

I look forward to six more months of this before we start talking about how much of a disappointment MGSV is...I'm joking
...I hope, that's how the MGS4 threads went 7 years ago.

Skullface

I was trying to be funny, chief, whilst getting across the point that you wouldn't have missed them if they weren't there.

All I was saying is that I understand why people might get upset about it.

What temper flares...?

Yeah, I got what you were getting at, just wasn't appreciative at the use of humor at my expense. Either way, it's no biggie, good debate Meat.

This: FUCK YOU GUYS, RAPE TAPE is BEST TAPE

I don't know what to say... Other than that no one took this position.

RK9039

Maybe I missed this - but is this new to anyone else?!?

metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain.jpg

Healing in the chopper? I.V. drip and Big Boss looks exhausted/sick?

This game is going to rock the world.

Frank Jaeger was given substances inside a glass tank to reset his memories, now it appears they can directly inject it to him.

Also about the whole Paz tape thing, I think I agree with this:

Some smart guy from the Guardian said:
Just stop. Really. Stop. There is no way, nor any need to portray rape "meaningfully". That implies there is some great meaning to rape, that there is a deep reason why it happens. It happens because people do bad things to each other. Sometimes there is a reason, sometimes there isn't. It is here simply as part of a narrative of something that happens to two fictional characters. You don't have to love it, or enjoy it. It doesn't have to be executed as some great serious masterpiece, because nothing else in the game was. It was all a little cheesy, a little schlocky. The reason people are focusing on other elements of the game (like the length) is because they are more important than the torture of imaginary characters. The last thing anyone wanted was more page long write ups on how to portray rape "meaningfully". Until the day comes where we aren't depicting death, violence or pain in videogames, we need to understand that all elements of human life are (and should be) on the artist's table of creation. It's not our right to pick which elements are and aren't okay for the artist to use in his creation. Is rape horrible? Absolutely. So is shooting someone in the head. Where is your write up on whether that was handled "meaningfully"?

To be fair, I shouldn't be asking you to stop. If there was an edit button, I would remove that. I apologize for that part. I understand that this is important to you, but it feels so frustrating that these are the things we choose to focus on when media depicts so many other acts of violence. I don't like the idea that any horrible act against people is worse than any other. A focus on this issue and attacking artists and creators who comment on it seems like a public lynching, especially when there is an obvious effort being made by the artist to treat it as important. Whether the voice actors or team brought it to the table in a way you feel is respectful doesn't matter. We shouldn't be trying to scare artists out of commenting (Their medium is the way they comment on these issues) about something that they have every right to feel strongly about as you do.

Skullface

Frank Jaeger was given substances inside a glass tank to reset his memories, now it appears they can directly inject it to him.

I wish I was articulate as this dude from the Guardian. I agree with this position entirely. In fact, that point about shooting someone in the head was a point I wanted to make.

Did you rike it? I mean Dark Souls.

Considering it was like the 10th time I restarted the game and then forced myself to learn the mechanics, and then I started getting interested in the lore and the boss fights and PVP.

Anyway at around hour twenty or thirty I was pretty into the game and realized Dark Souls really is an amazing game. It's like MGS in the sense that the game teaches you to learn how to play it, observation and patience is often rewarded.

Vally

Totally agree with that, creators should have complete freedom to show what they want in their games. Sadly when TPP comes out the media shitstorm over the torture, child soldiers and so on will be inevitable, I guess.

Considering it was like the 10th time I restarted the game and then forced myself to learn the mechanics, and then I started getting interested in the lore and the boss fights and PVP.

Anyway at around hour twenty or thirty I was pretty into the game and realized Dark Souls really is an amazing game. It's like MGS in the sense that the game teaches you to learn how to play it, observation and patience is often rewarded.

Oh..I thought you played it for tje first time.

I heard LD couldn't beat first room in DS where hollows just stand and don't attack you. That's why she banned herself, for training.

Skullface

Apologies, chief. Can I put it down to british sense of humour...? :)

Eww, you're a Brit? Apology not accepted! Lol, no apology was due bro dude. If I read that and interpreted a different tone then I may have had a chuckle. I take pride in the fact that our exchange didn't come down to insults and overt displays of aggression. Neither of us got banned so we must have been doing something right.

Oh..I thought you played it for tje first time.

I heard LD couldn't beat first room in DS where hollows just stand and don't attack you. That's why she banned herself, for training.

Well it was my first time completing the game, I only ever got past the beginning before I'd quit.

Kindekuma

Banned
Happy First Birthday to MGSV: Ground Zeroes!

I had written up a 1 year later thread to celebrate until I realized that junior's can't create threads. Oh well!

WBXfWYr.png

What are your thoughts on the game as a whole now that GZ is a year old, and what are your prospects for things to come for The Phantom Pain?

Zambatoh

I had written up a 1 year later thread to celebrate until I realized that junior's can't create threads. Oh well!

WBXfWYr.png

What are your thoughts on the game as a whole now that GZ is a year old, and what are your prospects for things to come for The Phantom Pain?

1 year later...still waitin'...

JayEH

WBXfWYr.png

Was one of my most played games last year. I have never been more excited for a game than I am right now for TPP and this was the perfect sampler. Everything seems to be on point with MGSV: gameplay, graphics, story. September can't come soon enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom