• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Wrong. In PP, we're talking about race as a theme. It's a little different

We're talking about how TPP will handle Race as a theme. How it represents other cultures as part of that theme is relevant to the discussion.

When you change something that a majority enjoys to accommodate something a minority demographic, you have a good chance of alienating a few people in between

Why would treating women or PoC equally in a game put people off...? Give me an example where this has happened.

Who decides whether or not a game is art? I consider most games to be art.

I'll leave that one. The discussion is broad enough as is. Suffice it to say, Kojima doesn't think games can be Art at all.

I never said it did. What I said was that neither of these games were problematic. You could argue otherwise, but I disagree.

A game where the chief mechanic is rape is not problematic…? A game where the gameplay revolves around a White Supremacist murdering minorities is not problematic…?

I can’t help but feel you’re being purposefully obtuse out of stubbornness here.

When you see users in forums or blogs explain that they're "pissed" I'd say that's a step beyond "uncomfortable"

As I said, maybe the internet distorts and amplifies opinions through the lens of whoever is on the other end's subjective reading of the text. When someone writes ROTFL, they aren't actually doing that. I know, shocking, right? :D

There is undeniably a performance aspect to online life, particularly on message boards (Cipher Cat is a great example of this). I wouldn't take what everyone types literally. i imagine that half the time, most people choose words that sound or look right rather than are actually right... like 'Moral Authority'. ;P

How would you measure the quality of games? Graphics? What? I still think that big budget games of today have lost something compared to the 5th generation. The whole reason this comes up is because I consider that to be an industry peak. Opinion? Sure

I know. That’s what older generations do. “Back in my day…” etc. Nostalgia can be toxic.

"Your enjoyment of games has declined because of the increased focus on story/cinematics", would be a more accurate statement. In any case, it’s anecdotal and entirely irrelevant.

Perhaps you're right. But then we have figures like Anita Sarkeesian.

Are you kidding? She’s not some shrieking harpy, she offers somewhat clumsy, college-level feminist critiques of video games. Is that a crime now?

I wasn't speaking specifically about GAF.

What were you specifically speaking about?

SamuraiX-

Wow, this news about Kojima/KP can't be legit right? But seeing all of the KP logos and Kojima's name completely removed from the Konami website............ :-/

Part of me is upset about this whole Konami/Kojima situation...

...but the tinfoil MGS fan in me wants to believe this is some kind of meta-marketing conspiracy where Kojima represents Big Boss and Konami represents Cipher and its influence in the world and it's all going to come together on release day and I've gone cross-eyed.

OldLogos

Banned
I think it's silly to find anything truly problematic with a video game, unless we're talking gameplay here.
When it comes to artistic expression there is no such thing as problematic, at least not in a country where free speech exists

I usually agree with a lot of your opinions, Skullace, but this I do not abide.

I don't buy into the auteur theory much so deflecting narrative criticism with 'artistic expression' is like telling me that this piece of shit doesn't smell bad because that's the way it's supposed to smell.

I come from a film background - specifically cinematography - and by and large I judge movies foremost on cinematographic and formulaic merit (composition, color, editing, movement, etc). I got into cinematography because i felt like it's the most 'essential' aspect of what a film 'is'.

Gameplay (and to a certain extent graphics rendering) is what is 'essential' to games - it's what sets it apart from other mediums like film and books. Judging a game solely (or mostly) on its merits in gameplay is an entirely prudent approach to critique, but it's not holistic.

Cinematography and gameplay, while being what sets the mediums apart from other mediums, are really only a small part of the whole picture. Tons of movies come out (typically indies) that have amazing shots, composition, editing, but their stories or their acting or their audio is utter shit (i know I've shot a few like this). You'd be hard pressed to say that these films are 'good' solely on their cinematography when you're laughing at horrible acting, or have no idea what is going on in the story. You'd say it was a pretty movie, but not a good movie.

If you seen Upstream Color, this is a perfect example. Beautiful movie, but a completely esoteric, jumbled and shallow plot stops it from being great. As a cinematographer I love it, as a film critic I couldn't give it a favorable review.

Same thing for games, but I think they get away with having less interesting stories because the medium has only been focused on 'cinematic storytelling' for a fraction of the time games have been around. I, for one, embrace the trend (as long as we're aiming for 60p and not 24p) because its expanding the medium, allowing for games to take up a cultural space typically allocated to film or literature.

Twenty years ago judging a game simply on its gameplay was the proper way to judge a game - nobody was complaining about patriarchal themes and damsel in distress narratives in Mario - because games weren't pushing their stories as anything more than a backdrop.

Games today are trying to tell meaningful stories, especially games like Metal Gear, and ought to be judged, textually, like any other medium trying to tell stories. While i thought that the rape tape was done well and definitely adds an aspect of cruelty to Skullface and disgust in the player that would be absent if it weren't in, I completely understand why some people have taken so much offense to this and see it as unnecessary.

But to say that we shouldn't be finding certain narrative themes problematic and should primarily focus on gameplay, to me, is taking a step backwards.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
CAeXV12VEAAPYXM.png:large

I can only think of two explanations, and both of them involve Kojima leaving once MGSV is done.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| A Moby Dick Studios game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom