• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricky

I'm talking about Kojima being marginalized.

It's his life's work and his name (and his teams name) is being removed everywhere.

Well, associating the Metal Gear brand with himself like that isn't something many developers do. It might be the first time this happens in the industry, but that doesn't mean much really.

And the team is just getting renamed. If Kojima leaves Kojima Productions it isn't all that surprising they're not going to call it Kojima Productions anymore.

incoming message from a fallen brother

UzP6xdM.png

"I am so sad
devastated, heart broken, crying
Konami can go fuck themselves
After MGSV, am boycotting Konami."

incoming message from a fallen brother

UzP6xdM.png

"I am so sad
devastated, heart broken, crying
Konami can go fuck themselves
After MGSV, am boycotting Konami."

You said it my brother. The thing is, after MGSV I don't even need to boycott them- I'm simply not interested in them as they appear not to be in the industry anymore.

I just hope that Konami allows them to finish developing the game in peace and allow The Phantom Pain to come out unscathed, without any creative compromises.

I hope the Kojima Productions team stay strong and united, and make a super-polished game that is true to their vision. My best wishes go to them.

They will rest forever in our hearts, the last and final moment is theirs and that agony is their triumph.

Just like the others here, I have made slight amateur alterations to my avvy to honour one of my favourite developers.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It just pisses me off, why can't Konami give Kojima and his team a break from Metal Gear. I mean they worked on this series for fucking 27 years now. Kojima always said yes but of course there comes a time where he's just done with it... he wanted to left the series after MGS2 but he always returned and said ok i'll do another one so that mr. konami is pleased.

Kojima always tried to improve the series. MGSV for example looks to be the most ambitious game ever. They put all their heart into this game and created a fucking new engine for over 5 years now. Opened a new company in LA so they can work on another Metal Gear Online. Troy Baker said "MGSV may be the biggest game I've ever seen." But nooo it's not enough for mr. konami.

Kojima said he sleeps 4 hours a day to be most productive during the day.

The most disgusting and disrespectful thing is the erasing of Kojima's branding of all Metal Gear products.

What a terrible sendoff for someone who made Konami what it is today.

It's so sickening, I don't even know what to say anymore.

/rant

JayEH

It has to be that Konami still wanted Kojima to make MGS games. I can't think of any other reason why there would be a falling out.

LowParry

You think there may be some chance of seeing content getting held back after all that's gone on? I don't even know what to think anymore.

It just pisses me off, why can't Konami give Kojima and his team a break from Metal Gear. I mean they worked on this series for fucking 27 years now. Kojima always said yes but of course there comes a time where he's just done with it... he wanted to left the series after MGS2 but he always returned and said ok i'll do another one so that mr. konami is pleased.

Kojima always tried to improve the series. MGSV for example looks to be the most ambitious game ever. They put all their heart into this game and created a fucking new engine for over 5 years now. Opened a new company in LA so they can work on another Metal Gear Online. Troy Baker said "MGSV may be the biggest game I've ever seen." But nooo it's not enough for mr. konami.

Kojima said he sleeps 4 hours a day to be most productive during the day.

The most disgusting and disrespectful thing is the erasing of Kojima's branding of all Metal Gear products.

What a terrible sendoff for someone who made Konami what it is today.

It's so sickening, I don't even know what to say anymore.

/rant

What if he asked for that? It's the most logical decision actually.

Lernaean

Banned
What if he asked for that? It's the most logical decision actually.

It's almost impossible he was the one taking this decision. not for himself, but he wouldn't want the dev team, that worked on it for so many years, not taking credit for that work.

I'll bombard them on Twitter, and I suggest we all do our part.

malfcn

How do y'all remember how to say the ones that shall not be spoken.. the La..

Reddit said:
It's a code-word for The Patriots.

The Japanese "alphabet" is recited like 'Ka Ki Ku Ke Ko, Ta Ti Tu Te To' and so on - but in Japanese there is no distinguished 'L' consonant (hence the whole "Engrish" thing).

So what this actually means is that The Patriots, as a secretive organization, are hiding in the very blind spots of language itself.

Emma touches on this idea when she mentions the human genome was sequenced, but a whole bunch of the information was surpressed - there's actually far more genetic markers than the public (or even the scientific community) knows about.

It's bringing the idea of censorship into focus within the context of the games discussion on memes and memetic engineering - language being the most important meme in human development. How can you pass on your ideas about something you can't even name? For the English-speaking characters, they can't warn anyone about The Patriots, discuss them, or expose them, because they can't even say the words "The Patriots" - their nanomachines scramble the words in their mouths and it comes out as this gibberish.

For the Japanese-speaking audience this goes even further, because the code-word exists outside their language. They cannot even correctly pronounce "La Li Lu Le Lo" nor write it with their alphabet. The Patriots are practicing a form of "memetic stealth"; they are an idea that has assumed a form that cannot be expressed, communicated, or reproduced.

As for why this is relevant, compare this to... lets say the current state of the Australian government, who have outlawed anything related to whistle-blowing. How can corruption be exposed when pointing to it is outside the boundaries of legal discourse? Government Corruption now occupies a memetic blindspot and can proceed unchecked.

So the "La Li Lu Le Lo" routine is another way that Metal Gear explores the supremacy of stealth; you are most able to achieve your goals when no-one even knows that you or your goals exist. How can you defend against something you can't even perceive?

And wow.

This is awful, I'm legit worried out mgsv now. I really hope development isn't compromised. I've always wanted Kojima to branch off anyway without Konami holding back his visions for games, but I wish this could have happened a year from now when they aren't crunching on a huge open world AAA title
Me too. We obviously need the full account of things but when they're removing his name from his own game, it gives me a bad feeling.

It's almost impossible he was the one taking this decision. not for himself, but he wouldn't want the dev team, that worked on it for so many years, not taking credit for that work.

I'll bombard them on Twitter, and I suggest we all do our part.

I don't see it impossible, it would be logical fitting with his desire to move away from MGS as a whole. I'm only talking about the "A game by Hideo Kojima" removal tho.

Lernaean

Banned
I don't see it impossible, it would be logical fitting with his desire to move away from MGS as a whole. I'm only talking about the "A game by Hideo Kojima" removal tho.

There is always context. In in this case, the removal of his name is accompanied with the removal of the dev team logo. It is disrespectful to the people who work on it and i can't think of another example like this, at least in modern times.

I really hope this doesn't end up effecting the game somehow, I'll be really super depressed if that happens.

Not to mention the sheer weight of this news, I mean holy shit...

Can someone Hideo Kojima Game my avatar?

BigBoss

Do you guys think Kojima will show up to E3?I bet Konami doesn't want Kojima talking to the press about what happened and the first question in any interview is going to about what happened today, how far will Konami go to muzzle Kojima?

JayEH

Stage 1: Denial
Stage 2: Anger
Stage 3: Bargaining

You guys are going through the 5 stages of grief. There is no way this is a hoax. Think about it.

I mean does anyone else feel the same as me or am I alone and I shouldn't be worried about the development of the game and the team behind the game? Because I'm worried about both.

JayEH

After MGS2 everyone thinks Kojima is the huge trickster. He isn't. He likes to trick us and play with us but you can't over analyze everything he does. This isn't a hoax at best the information from the sources is wrong.

Palpable

Again, what's the point?

Dude, Konami and Kojima are fucking trending at ZERO cost to the company... Free marketing is the point. Why do you think he did that hoax shit with Moby Dick studio, etc? It's what he does. I'm not saying there is no chance this isn't true, it very well could be, just don't dismiss that it's all orchestrated.

That's an opinion piece. I can write one too.

I know, but he brings up some good points.

J.EM1

Stage 1: Denial
Stage 2: Anger
Stage 3: Bargaining

You guys are going through the 5 stages of grief. There is no way this is a hoax. Think about it.
By 0600 tomorrow I should be at bargaining. It's not going to be pretty. Depression might last through summer. Acceptance by August 31st. :p

Rajang

One thing that bothers me is that new official Metal Gear twitter account that was created today. Both of Kojima's twitter accounts are following that account. Why would he do that?

And like I posted earlier, its quite ironic that this is happening to Kojima. His games always had these Orwellian themes: organizations/governments who want total control, who use misinfirmation, denial of truth and manipulation of the past, including the unperson: "a person who has been "vaporized"; who has not only been killed by the state, but effectively erased from existence. Such a person would be written out of existing books, photographs, and articles so that no trace of their existence could be found in the historical record. " The way some totalitarian regimes/leaders like Stalin liked to rewrite history and erase people from existence, Kojima and his team are now being rewritten/deleted by Konami.

We are 6 months away from launch. I think that Kojima wants to create a huge buzz around the game again. Just like he did with the Joakim Mogren / Moby Dick studios reveal.

JayEH

Konami can't fuck with investors like this. They removed him as VP in official documents. They legally can't be pulling off a "hoax".

We've lost another one, they are falling like flies.

Dude, Konami and Kojima are fucking trending at ZERO cost to the company... Free marketing is the point. Why do you think he did that hoax shit with Moby Dick studio, etc? It's what he does. I'm not saying there is no chance this isn't true, it very well could be, just don't dismiss that it's all orchestrated.

I know, but he brings up some good points.
People are cancelling pre orders over this. Free marketing indeed.

Palpable

We've lost another one, they are falling like flies.

People are cancelling pre orders over this. Free marketing indeed.

Who'd we lose?

You're nuts if you think this is making a dent. Even if it's true, MGSV is still a game by Kojima. It doesn't matter if big evil Konami is still publishing it. I'm buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom