• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

brau

It would be a ridiculously long wait for us to get to see anything from Kojima till after release.

Specially to someone that likes to use Twitter so much.

He must be going nuts with food pics and chopper pic withdrawals.

RK9039

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp85EZ0bso0

He has finally spoken.

from the comments section said:
kojima wants us to feel just like snake.. Venom most likely suffers from amnesia. its preety obvious. so my guess is that kojima is trying to strip us the players from all previous afiliations just the way snake doesnt remember his past. his memories. really ... its so obvious add the markings from the Deja Vu mission in Ground Zeroes to your list. The markings are titles of MGS games. You can only erase the ones that were directed by Kojima. There are markings of other games that he didn't direct but you can't erase those.also there are several searchlights with the "kojima productions logo" miller says" kojima productions? what does it mean?" really? i mean really??. This was obviously either a clue, another part of this pattern or he somehow knew 2 years ago that he was going to be fired/quit.

Miller also says "you might be able to erase the markings but the memories will never disappear."

Without this news about Kojima's name being removed from the game that side mission makes zero sense. I never knew what the hell it meant until the past few days. It's genius!
1) Fake studio that develops a title called phantom pain that the main protagonist looks like snake but "its not a metal gear"

2) kojima denies his involvement with this phantom pain title even though the title uses the fox engine.

3) kojima announces ground zeroes as a metal gear title

4) then the phantom pain becomes a metal gear title

5 ) kojima states that ground zeroes and the phantom pain are the same game

6) hayter tweets on April fools day about the end of his journey as the voice actor of snake

7) then they become separate titles

8) he removes Hayter as the voice of snake and an explosion of fan rage comes afterwards..

9) conspiracy all over regarding the main protagonist of the game - iSHMAEL big boss - GRAY FOX - solidus etc

10) kiefer sutherland as snake is revealed with a cold disturbing video with avi arad literally insulting David Hayter even though these two are good friends... avi arad even Named Hayters daughter

11) countless tweets and posts from hayter not letting go his Snake status even though its weird that this thing drags on and on and on especially the way he was treated by kojima/ konami

12) a possible remake of Metal Gear gets aprooval from kojima but eventually is cancelled by Konami ( Hayter was to provide the voice of big boss/ solid snake)

13) kojima and konami deliberatelly refused to announce a release date for the title despite the fact that they stated multiple times that a major announcement will come in the next months weeks days etc... ( chicken cap )

14 ) the official release date comes and somehow kojima is fired or quiting Konami even though that the game is still in development and 5 months away...
those types of decisions are made after the release of the game.. theres no way that a company like konami made this huge mistake now huge that may upset the fans all over the world BEFORE THE RELEASE OF PHANTOM PAIN.Plus Removing Kojimas name from past titles?? who does that?? really? its the most suspicious move that makes me think this is all a play.. a staged event... they are not THAT stupid.. Its just kojima is giving everything hes got this time around to cause rage betrayal confusion and to mislead everyone..Phantom Pain is a state that a person is missing a limb a leg a finger etc but he thinks and hes sure that the part somehow IS STILL THERE! my god.. kojima... u did it this time. YOU DESTROYED THE 4TH WALL

ITS ALL A RUSE.. its a theme that brings V within real life.. Kojima wants the fans too feel betrayed.. and to seek revenge.. Dont you see? Kojima tries something noone tried before.. its a brave/reckless move that it might backlash and lead kojima out of the industry... i have faith in Hideo... and i hope that V is and will be the best game ever.. 

Vally

Oh shit

popcorn.gif

edit: Kojima = Gray Fox confirmed
ibqboxCxkYaEZl.PNG

Mgs 2 had a similar "dark period" over the summer where they didn't talk about the game at all.

I wonder if the kojima productions shenanigans is a way to justify their silence.

I think there is a lot we don't know about this game.

in the E3 2014 trailer Eli had a image of a pig with an eyepatch.... i feel like that is a reference to "Lord of the Flies".. i wonder if Liquid is leading those child soldiers in Africa, and Big Boss is their literal "Lord of the Flies"

FFS the last 'elaborate ruse' which people didn't uncover in the first 24 hours was Snake's role in MGS2.

While the Metal Gear series is definitely convoluted and complicated frequently, it's much more straight forward than you'd think from reading forums.

Almost every elaborate theory I read on the internet is crazier and more convoluted than the games actually are, but people buy it. The reputation is larger than the reality.

I'm honestly hoping for more ground-shaking twists and turns in MGSV, like the stuff about the bandaged dude being a new clone or a surgically created duplicate of Big Boss or whatever. However the stance I tend to take while playing is "What you see is what you get, until it's not."

Juicy Bob

Does anyone actually want to figure out what all the plot twists in TPP will be?

Surely the best way to experience it is to go full cold-turkey until release and go in blind?

cafemomo

Yeah but that cutscene is awesome. When BB brings out that gun and starts shooting out the helicopter. So good.

Only 161 days to go.

The cutscene was awesome. But I also wanted to take part in it even knowing what was going to happen in the end.
Worked hard building it up in PW, it was pretty awful seeing it go down and you weren't "able" to do anything other than watch.

sexyelder

I fullheartedly believe this is all a ruse. Konami getting rid of Kojima right before possibly the biggest Metal Gear release of all time makes no sense. And shutting down Kojima Productions in it 10 year anniversary? Yeah right.

Why does everyone keep assuming/hoping this is a joke/ruse? Kojima is free to move on from Metal Gear - that is a good thing. I am excited that with MGSV:TPP we are getting to play the final, best Hideo Kojima made Metal Gear game ever made. Just my opinion, mind you, but to me this is glorious and I am beyond excited to see Kojima make new games that finally aren't Metal Gear sequels. Brand new IP's from Kojima are something that I have wanted for over a decade and now, he finally gets the chance to make them.

If this was a joke - I would have no respect for Kojima or Konami for putting me through the emotional rollercoaster we've all been on since this all began without any clear word of what is going on. I would feel angry and irritated at the juvenile nature of the stunt and the contrived "meaning" behind it.

The amount of effort, time and face [Japanese honor] involved is monumental and it would shock me if this was an elaborate ruse - but I would still find it distasteful and unnecessary.

Use the principal of Occam's Razor on this whole situation - is it easier to believe that:

1). This is all a ruse, a joke being played on the fans on a global scale, using social media, hearsay and conjecture to put fans into a tailspin regarding the future of the Metal Gear saga and at it's epicenter, Kojima and Konami are at odds in a power struggle that has resulted in Konami removing Kojima's name and company logo from the products and marketing for MGSV. Yet, this is all some kind of social experiment - a joke on us.

Or

2). This is really happening and everything we have seen thus far is a result of Kojima choosing to leave Konami and go solo with his own third party studio. This combined with Konami Digital Entertainment's restructuring of their company ended up getting Kojima ousted as Vice President of KDE and thus, a falling out between Kojima and Konami occurs and Konami removes any branding he or his studio had on products Konami deems a part of headquarters control.

You decide.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I fullheartedly believe this is all a ruse. Konami getting rid of Kojima right before possibly the biggest Metal Gear release of all time makes no sense. And shutting down Kojima Productions in it 10 year anniversary? Yeah right.

Another thing is the date those news came out.

It was on the 17th or 18th or 19th depending on the timezone. That would be the release date of Ground Zeroes.

Coincidence?

While the Metal Gear series is definitely convoluted and complicated frequently, it's much more straight forward than you'd think from reading forums.

Almost every elaborate theory I read on the internet is crazier and more convoluted than the games actually are, but people buy it. The reputation is larger than the reality.

I'm honestly hoping for more ground-shaking twists and turns in MGSV, like the stuff about the bandaged dude being a new clone or a surgically created duplicate of Big Boss or whatever. However the stance I tend to take while playing is "What you see is what you get, until it's not."

MGS2 had a trailer with sections reworked to look like Snake was controlled outside of the tanker, but unless they've done that again, I'd just call whatever happens in the game a plot twist and not a ruse, even if it turns out they are doing something unusual with Snake's identity, which I kind of suspect they are.

Does anyone actually want to figure out what all the plot twists in TPP will be?

Surely the best way to experience it is to go full cold-turkey until release and go in blind?

This is probably true, but I'm too far gone for that. I can't watch trailers and clips for 3 years without trying to piece together what's going on, but with these trailers there isn't much to go on really, outside of the hospital weirdness.

I'm not really sure that you have a deep understanding of how the video game industry actually works.

People seem to expect that Kojima is fucking with us in some way just because of what he did with MGS2, and extremely transparent stuff like the Moby Dick studios thing.

All that stuff was fine, but a stunt like this fucks with finances and investors. The reason Konami is in the situation that they've arrived in now is precisely because they're on the heels of the biggest Metal Gear release of all time.

Consider, from their perspective:

Kojima doesn't want to make our cash cow anymore; that's fine, we can make other teams continue the series. That begs the question... is the Kojima Productions team/the Hideo Kojima name not appearing prominently on the box art/ads going to affect the consumers view of the product and/or sales?

So the solution in this case becomes: "We preemptively remove those, to show that Konami is what produces quality Metal Gear games-- not Kojima Productions/Hideo Kojima."

And somewhere along the line-- whether before, during, or after these decisions-- Hideo decided that he's not going to keep doing Metal Gear for Konami anymore. Which results in the present situation. It's not hard to fathom. A similar thing happened to Infinity Ward, and the Call of Duty franchise is still going strong.

I actually came in here for opinions on buying GZ on PC... it's on sale for $10, but I'm not sure if I really want to give Konami my money, right now. I already have it on PS3.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This is from march 3, Kojima isn't listed here anymore.

http://www.konami-digital-entertain...se/2015/0303/?cm_sp=01-_-release-_-20150303-e

Official statement about the whole KojiPro drama was published on march 20 (release date of GZ in EU and JP)

http://www.konami-digital-entertainment.co.jp/en/news/topics/2015/0320/
http://www.konami.jp/osirase/150320/

Isn't it weird that they took so long for an official statement? I mean they obviously knew about all this for a while now.

I don't know it's just seems a bit fishy to me.

I actually came in here for opinions on buying GZ on PC... it's on sale for $10, but I'm not sure if I really want to give Konami my money, right now. I already have it on PS3.
I don't know about any of that other stuff, but GZ on PC is light years ahead of the PS3 version, visually. If you don't care about that, not much point in getting it, but you might as well do it anyway.

Something I didn't realise until now is all the high level Konami Digital Entertainment staff got reorganised on March 16th, I was thinking this hadn't come into effect yet.
http://www.konami-digital-entertain...se/2015/0303/?cm_sp=01-_-release-_-20150303-e

Explains why things kicked off on the day they did, someone new came in.

Isn't it weird that they took so long for an official statement? I mean they obviously knew about all this for a while now.

I don't know it's just seems a bit fishy to me.

They made a statement because people were starting rumours (true or otherwise) about them and they want to put things across in a less damaging light. They'd probably prefer not to make a statement at all right now. Maybe the upcoming Kojima Station, which is still listed, was supposed to announce the changes going on at the studio.

Kindekuma

Banned
Companies don't make adjustments to their list of executive members for a April Fool's Joke.

I know this isn't a ruse. It sucks, but Konami is gonna be Konami.

So the solution in this case becomes: "We preemptively remove those, to show that Konami is what produces quality Metal Gear games-- not Kojima Productions/Hideo Kojima."

And somewhere along the line-- whether before, during, or after these decisions-- Hideo decided that he's not going to keep doing Metal Gear for Konami anymore. Which results in the present situation. It's not hard to fathom. A similar thing happened to Infinity Ward, and the Call of Duty franchise is still going strong.

This.

Thank you Mexican Sting. That is the point I was trying to illustrate in my post, albeit more long winded - thankfully, you surmised the situation with more brevity and used more concise examples.

Like I said before, if this situation did turn out to be some kind of joke/ruse, I would be furious with Kojima and Konami for dropping it on us in the first place. Everyone keeps grasping at straws to prove that this may be a ruse - it isn't. The dates are pure coincidence if they happen to line up with anything Metal Gear related and most importantly - what would be the point of any of this if it were in fact a joke?!?

TheBoss1

Facts.

RK9039

Why does everyone keep assuming/hoping this is a joke/ruse? Kojima is free to move on from Metal Gear - that is a good thing. I am excited that with MGSV:TPP we are getting to play the final, best Hideo Kojima made Metal Gear game ever made. Just my opinion, mind you, but to me this is glorious and I am beyond excited to see Kojima make new games that finally aren't Metal Gear sequels. Brand new IP's from Kojima are something that I have wanted for over a decade and now, he finally gets the chance to make them.

If this was a joke - I would have no respect for Kojima or Konami for putting me through the emotional rollercoaster we've all been on since this all began without any clear word of what is going on. I would feel angry and irritated at the juvenile nature of the stunt and the contrived "meaning" behind it.

The amount of effort, time and face [Japanese honor] involved is monumental and it would shock me if this was an elaborate ruse - but I would still find it distasteful and unnecessary.

Use the principal of Occam's Razor on this whole situation - is it easier to believe that:

1). This is all a ruse, a joke being played on the fans on a global scale, using social media, hearsay and conjecture to put fans into a tailspin regarding the future of the Metal Gear saga and at it's epicenter, Kojima and Konami are at odds in a power struggle that has resulted in Konami removing Kojima's name and company logo from the products and marketing for MGSV. Yet, this is all some kind of social experiment - a joke on us.

Or

2). This is really happening and everything we have seen thus far is a result of Kojima choosing to leave Konami and go solo with his own third party studio. This combined with Konami Digital Entertainment's restructuring of their company ended up getting Kojima ousted as Vice President of KDE and thus, a falling out between Kojima and Konami occurs and Konami removes any branding he or his studio had on products Konami deems a part of headquarters control.

You decide.

I want it to be a ruse so that people lose their shit.

And also Gray Fox is Venom Snake.

Those drawings are great. His kerning is terrible, though.

Thank you Mexican Sting. That is the point I was trying to illustrate in my post, albeit more long winded - thankfully, you surmised the situation with more brevity and used more concise examples.

Like I said before, if this situation did turn out to be some kind of joke/ruse, I would be furious with Kojima and Konami for dropping it on us in the first place. Everyone keeps grasping at straws to prove that this may be a ruse - it isn't. The dates are pure coincidence if they happen to line up with anything Metal Gear related and most importantly - what would be the point of any of this if it were in fact a joke?!?

For sure, I just call 'em like I see 'em. I mean if he were fucking with us, the point would obviously be to draw parallels between Big Boss and Cipher.

But, he's obviously not... it's just kind of a sad irony that things happened this way.

strafer

War has changed. It's no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines. War - and its consumption of life - has become a well-oiled machine. War has changed. ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons, use ID-tagged gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Battlefield control. Everything is monitored and kept under control. War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control... All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction. And he who controls the battlefield... controls history. War has changed. When the battlefield is under total control... War becomes routine.

There's a lot of misinformation going around here.

Konami's report that supposedly shows that Kojima has been removed from his position...doesn't. His position isn't there. The only positions on their reports are the ones being changed.

And if Konami are removing the Kojima Productions logo and the "A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME" slogan...why are they still present on the boxes on the official MGSV site?

Kindekuma

Banned

Konami's report that supposedly shows that Kojima has been removed from his position...doesn't. His position isn't there. The only positions on their reports are the ones being changed.

And if Konami are removing the Kojima Productions logo and the "A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME" slogan...why are they still present on the boxes on the official MGSV site?

I FIGURED IT OUT

OKAY MGSGAF
Ready for an explanation for why this is all happening? I don't think you're ready:
__________________________Nanomachines______________________

JayEH

Why would Konami lie to investors? Why would they have job postings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom