• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

brau

First thing ill do when i get home. Actually not having a tag makes me a bigger Kojima fan.

He is a frog without a soul.

Frog... please.

Here.

BUGaKAl.png

Whats up MetalGearGAF!

New convert here. Until recently I was almost completely blank on this series (I've played 4 and GZ but none of the originals) and I just completed MGS1 and 2 back to back and have started 3. I have to say I feel pretty bad about never really giving the games a chance before because for the most part I've loved them.

I wanted to get some opinions from you long time fans on your thoughts on MGS1 vs 2, having just played them both for the first time, the differences are very fresh in my mind.

Even though I really enjoyed both games and 2 is a massive improvement in gameplay and control, I can't shake the feeling that MGS1 was just a superior experience.

- Dead Cell fell completely flat for me compared to the FOXHOUND unit, the difference in personality is just extremely stark, as in...I don't feel that the Dead Cell members really had any. There was just nothing as memorable as Sniper Wolf's death scene, or the crazy mind fuck of Psycho Mantis.

- Similarly I feel like the actual boss fights with these Dead Cell members were way less creative. I loved that most of the boss fights in MGS1 are unique, a sniper battle, a hide and seek encounter with Raven, a straight up fist fight with Gray fox..in comparison I kind of just stood around and shot Vamp a bunch of times.

- Codec conversations were just less interesting over all - I know it plays into the story somewhat with the Colonel being an AI but it doesn't make it any less boring.

I could go on and on but I don't want to make this post too long. Overall, I just found the second game to be missing...something...it just didn't feel the same. MGSGAF, what are your thoughts on this?

I found MGS2 to be substantially better than the first. Better story, way way way better gameplay, better level design, backtracking that isn't horrible, etc. The first is still great and earns a place for breaking ground by being the first MGS, but 2 improved on it in almost every regard.

Sometimes i wonder what the reason was for Kojima to make Metal Gear Solid 1 a sequel to Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and place it in the same canon

instead of just rebooting the storyline with Metal Gear Solid. because i feel like many people played MGS without playing the original 2?

KorrZ

I found MGS2 to be substantially better than the first. Better story, way way way better gameplay, better level design, backtracking that isn't horrible, etc. The first is still great and earns a place for breaking ground by being the first MGS, but 2 improved on it in almost every regard.

Definitely agree with you about the gameplay...it's drastically improved, and is essentially just a natural progression from the MGS1 gameplay. It's pretty hard to try and argue that fact - but I do still think gameplay scenario wise MGS1 definitely has some more interesting boss fights.

What was it about the story that you found so much better? I had a hard time caring as much, even though the story was more nuanced because I didn't find the characters themselves to be nearly as strong.

Sometimes i wonder what the reason was for Kojima to make Metal Gear Solid 1 a sequel to Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and place it in the same canon

instead of just rebooting the storyline with Metal Gear Solid. because i feel like many people played MGS without playing the original 2?

Haven't played the MSX originals but it seems that they sum it up pretty well in MGS. From what I understand they kind of retcon it a bit anyways.

wilsonda

While listening to nuclear for the 1000th time this morning I just got excited thinking about what song Kojima will choose for the ending credits... then I realized that I will literally cry like a man baby during the end credits knowing that it's Kojima's final mgs

While listening to nuclear for the 1000th time this morning I just got excited thinking about what song Kojima will choose for the ending credits... then I realized that I will literally cry like a man baby during the end credits knowing that it's Kojima's final mgs

This.

There will probably be a message after the credits from Kojima to us, the fans thanking us for following the series over the years and for being fans of his games in general. He will probably say something about moving on from Metal Gear and how he hopes we will enjoy replaying the original saga from time to time and that he hopes that we follow him to wherever he goes next and be excited for whatever new IP he creates next.

That, will be the part that gets me emotional.

wilsonda

This.

There will probably be a message after the credits from Kojima to us, the fans thanking us for following the series over the years and for being fans of his games in general. He will probably say something about moving on from Metal Gear and how he hopes we will enjoy replaying the original saga from time to time and that he hopes that we follow him to wherever he goes next and be excited for whatever new IP he creates next.

That, will be the part that gets me emotional.

I am not sure I could handle this ..
prepare for sorrow river of tears in my apartment

Skullface

She was in the hobbit.

First-look-at-Tauriel-in-The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-of-Smaug-evangeline-lilly-34647491-500-699.jpg

She was in Lost.

Dem ears o.o
I've not seen Lost or The Hobbit.

Edit: For anyone that was intrigued when I brought up the military style police in the Boston transit system, I missed an opportunity to showcase an example this morning. There was like, 4-5 cops at the turnstile with at least 2 dogs and they had a TSA style search area. I would have taken a picture, but Y'know, cops don't like that shit.

R-User!

I dont know reason, thats just how I feel. Maybe because after MG,MG2, and MGS1 he was forced to make story about Solid Snake. But I think he always loved BB more than SS.

RadioHammer, I made avatar for you. Use it if you want :)
When I see your username that is what I think. Radio built into Thor's hammer.

t1veDGdg.png
Standard version

WGWjLEGD.png
and Kojima version.

Hi Spongebobba! You think you could "A Hideo Kojima Game" my avatar?! :D if not no worries!

undu

GZ just got updated with a 24.6 MB patch on Steam. Does anyone know what does fix/add?

Kojima Productions logo didn't get removed, yet.

Look Brau hooked a Koopa up with a new icon

Definitely agree with you about the gameplay...it's drastically improved, and is essentially just a natural progression from the MGS1 gameplay. It's pretty hard to try and argue that fact - but I do still think gameplay scenario wise MGS1 definitely has some more interesting boss fights.

What was it about the story that you found so much better? I had a hard time caring as much, even though the story was more nuanced because I didn't find the characters themselves to be nearly as strong.

Haven't played the MSX originals but it seems that they sum it up pretty well in MGS. From what I understand they kind of retcon it a bit anyways.

Bare with me, I'm at work so I am kinda scatter brained writing this.

I just think it was easier to develop all of FOXHOUND because MGS1 feels like an encapsulated story. One man, one mission. MGS2 seems like it spans a lot wider, not to mention Hideo touching on subjects no games did at the time in ways that most games still don't. I think when there is so much going on, it'd be too much or at least too long and poorly paced to develop everyone as well as they did in MGS1.

Also, if you think Dead Cell is flat, have fun with The Cobras. And have even more fun with B&B in 4. The larger the narrative scale grows the less the rotating bosses matter. They are there because amazing boss fights are a staple of the series, not because boss characters need to have integral roles.

KorrZ

Bare with me, I'm at work so I am kinda scatter brained writing this.

I just think it was easier to develop all of FOXHOUND because MGS1 feels like an encapsulated story. One man, one mission. MGS2 seems like it spans a lot wider, not to mention Hideo touching on subjects no games did at the time in ways that most games still don't. I think when there is so much going on, it'd be too much or at least too long and poorly paced to develop everyone as well as they did in MGS1.

Also, if you think Dead Cell is flat, have fun with The Cobras. And have even more fun with B&B in 4. The larger the narrative scale grows the less the rotating bosses matter. They are there because amazing boss fights are a staple of the series, not because boss characters need to have integral roles.

I can definitely see what you're getting at in with not having the time to focus on all of these characters, and it makes sense. I just have to question Kojima though then on the characters he did choose to spend the time on. Why do we have 20 minutes of codec/cutscene dialogue spent on Emma Emmerich who just ends up dead immediately after? That's a significant amount of development for a completely throwaway character.

I've played MGS4 already btw, it was actually the first one I played....I know...I know, but B&B was definitely the worst by far so I already expect that disappointment. I was just blown away by how much I actually liked MGS1's characters.

Bloodborne Tiers:

Shit tier - Strat/Jindrax/Lerny
Hunter tier - Jimmy/Dawg/LD
Beast tier - Ream

*** ADDED TIERS ZOMGZ!!! ***
Bloody tier - Brau
THE LEGEND tier - SargerusBR
Vase tier - Sponge
Jojo tier - Jay

Let me know who I've missed and I will update accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom